daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM   #1
robja23

Likes (Received): 86

Glasgow to destroy it's last remaining high rises as part of the Commonwealth Games Opening Cermony

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-18374680

Once the tallest resdential buildings in Europe, they'll now go up in smoke as part of the opening of the Commonwealth Games.
robja23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:09 PM   #2
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Sad. They are erasing history.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 07:27 PM   #3
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

More proof of the failure of Jeanneret-Gris and the modernist regime's vision of La Ville Radieuse. Better to remove obsolete technology that failed to serve it's purpose.
hateman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #4
ThatOneGuy

It is history! Not "obsolete technology". Modernism wasn't a "regime" either. It was a revolution against old restrictive tradition, that looked forwards and towards progress and hopes of a brighter future. To dismiss its buildings as failures is the kind of disrespectful attitude that encourages such demolitions, eventually repeating the exact same demolition crisis that occurred 50 years ago, except this time with mid-century modernism.

These towers should have been restored and modernized, instead of being killed like this. I can't wait for the future generations to call us idiots for destroying mid-century heritage.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 09:15 PM   #5
KøbenhavnK

Likes (Received): 354

They might erase history. But I doubt history will hate them for it in this case.

Almost no city in Europe needs residential towers that high and all the complexes through out Western Europe with those buildings have turned into slums since they were build in the 60's and 70's.

It's a huge step forward relocating the people and blowing those buildings up.

Congratulations to Glasgow
KøbenhavnK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014, 10:01 PM   #6
rocky2

Likes (Received): 25

I do not know the specifics of the building quality but it is ridiculous, they were kind of nice looking. And they think that they will solve the social problems by putting the people into low rises.., they are just buying votes.
rocky2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #7
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KøbenhavnK View Post

They might erase history. But I doubt history will hate them for it in this case.
That's pretty much what they said 50 years ago. "Nobody in 30 years will hate us for bulldozing these cheap-knock off, run down, neo-classic buildings!"

Now, it's "Nobody in 30 years will hate us for blowing up these run down tower blocks!"

Tags
glasgow