daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #1
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

NEWARK | SoMA Newark | 305m | 1000ft | Pro

This ambitious 15 million sq. ft. megadevelopment in Newark is being designed by Richard Meier:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revealed: SoMA Newark

SoMA Newark 2025

Quote:
Plans for the first phase of the Richard Meier-designed Teachers Village in Newark have been closing in on completion, but it appears that something slightly larger is on the horizon, in the form of SoMA Newark. RBH Group, which is the firm behind the Meier project, has posted new renderings of their greater plan, and — assuming the scheme is actually built — the collective change will result in the complete rebirth of the city.

Teachers Village residential district

The SoMA scheme would boost Newark’s vertical profile significantly, and looks to include at least one potential ‘supertall’ standing over 1,000 feet. Altogether, the plan would add three major office towers, in addition to several slender residential skyscrapers. Collectively, the high-rises could even push Downtown Newark’s height past Jersey City and Downtown Brooklyn — though the apparent goal of a 2025 completion date leaves room for alterations before all aspects are constructed.

http://newyorkyimby.com/2014/04/reve...ma-newark.html

More on this HUGE development:

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
All images are from my blog,
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot.com/

The area currently: Richard Meier's Teacher's Village, all new construction

The building on the right was hit by a bus that was trying to avoid a taxi that crossed into oncoming traffic. All 4 of the short buildings in the foreground will be town down and replaced by an approximately 30 story tower.

---

The following three images are from the Teacher's Village homepage.

http://www.teachersvillage.com/about.html

Current view

2015?!!? view showing the 30 story tower to replace the bus crash buildings that will be topped by a tall spire and an about 15 story building that might be part of the Teacher's Village project. Also, the Calumet building will be torn down, due to horrible structural decay from being without a facade for 10 years, and replaced with a replacement of the same scale.

The 2025 aerial view shows the potential if the whole development actually goes ahead. The best part is that no significant buildings will be lost to build this, reversing a 60+ year trend. The tallest towers will replace the now empty Bank of America fortress (two halves surrounded by 10 foot iron fences and connected by skybridge across the street and to their 2 level parking deck) by the corner of University and Market Streets, with a third tower on the useless entry plaza for Essex County College. The rest of the buildings will replace a number of rather forgetable buildings between University and Washington Streets, with a few near the Teacher's Village. The megatower on Broad Street will be on at the Northwest corner of Hill Street on a fenced off green space. The southernmost building, the massive about 15 story building in the background, is currently a huge vacant lot by West Kinney Street. A backhoe has been sitting on that site for more than a month, causing false hopes of actual development on that site.

If even a small portion of this plan happens, Newark will be in for an unparalleled renewal and revitalization that will give it a skyline that will be comparable with Baltimore, Boston, and Jersey City. The best part is, most of the development will cover surface lots or tiny, rather unimportant buildings that stand alone in empty lots. Hopefully some sort of rail-based transit system will be put in place to expedite this massive growth. The closest rail station is the Newark Light Rail station at the corner or Raymond Boulevard and Washington Street, seen just to the right of the huge redbrick Prudential building. 11 Years could bring amazing things to Newark!

Kanto, singoone, Simfan34, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; April 11th, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #2
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

15 million sq ft! Wow, if they put that in not too much buildings they can create additional recreation space.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Is Newark Airport an Issue? I don't think these towers are close to the takeoff/landing pattern but the FAA might be picky with 1000 ft towers so close to an airport. Especially such a busy one.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #4
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
Is Newark Airport an Issue? I don't think these towers are close to the takeoff/landing pattern but the FAA might be picky with 1000 ft towers so close to an airport. Especially such a busy one.
I don't think that section of Newark (NNW of EWR) is in a flightpath.

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

Gorgeous! But I think New Jersey's had 2 supertall proposals in 2013 that were both demoted to the 700ft range. I'll believe it when I see it.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:31 AM   #6
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I don't think that section of Newark (NNW of EWR) is in a flightpath.

So where is this project on those maps?
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:42 AM   #7
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
So where is this project on those maps?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #8
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Nice, so we will be able to see this from Manhattan most likely.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 07:56 PM   #9
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Jersey City, which is my hometown, can't get one new office tower of this type and Newark can build three in ten years? Including a supertall? Jersey City would be better off building those as there is room for several towers of that size... and still yet no company wants to relocate enough of their offices to us, which is right next door. They're going to flock to Newark instead? Wishing Newark well, and as a city with a lot of potential I wish Newark a lot of success. But a lot of pie in the sky here at least with the office component, though is daring and down the line once Jersey City builds out that can be something Newark can benefit from. I think that residential/ mixed use emphasis with a more modest office component would work better in the next decade though.

erbse liked this post
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2014, 11:26 PM   #10
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28211

Awesome. An entire new cluster?
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 02:22 AM   #11
Bond James Bond
Licence to kill.

Wet dream rendering here:
http://www.rbhgrp.com/soma.html
Bond James Bond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #12
citybooster

It's gorgeous but predicated on 3 office towers 800ft- supertall when Jersey City which overlooks the Manhattan skyline can't get ONE large office tower bit. Wish em well but for the foreseeable future a dream like that REALLY is all wet. Better off they emphasize residential/ mixed and a far smaller portion on office tower space.
Old April 14th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #13
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6882

what a big development, didn't know that Meier does also supertalls
Old April 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #14
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2713

This would be amazing. Just seems way too good to be true for Newark.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
It's gorgeous but predicated on 3 office towers 800ft- supertall when Jersey City which overlooks the Manhattan skyline can't get ONE large office tower bit. Wish em well but for the foreseeable future a dream like that REALLY is all wet. Better off they emphasize residential/ mixed and a far smaller portion on office tower space.
I agree, I'd rather have this in Jersey city as well too.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #16
droneriot
Urban Hermit

That's not what he was saying.
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #17
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
That's not what he was saying.
I know, I was saying I agree then adding that last part on, although it did kind of sound like I was paraphrasing him.

citybooster liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #18
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

the tallest tower is really moscowy

Kanto liked this post
KillerZavatar está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:35 PM   #19
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I know, I was saying I agree then adding that last part on, although it did kind of sound like I was paraphrasing him.
Yep... I LOVE the vision, would love Newark and Jersey City to really soar in the next decade or two but three office towers that huge in Newark simply won't happen before a couple of similar sized ones get built here in Jersey City. We're directly across the Hudson and yet can't get even one large one built. Newport is the next office tower to be built and they're only going 17 or so floors, wide but not tall. A couple of supertalls in Jersey City would be nice, but the way things are going it would have to be residential.

Better Newark emphasize mixed use and residential, with a smaller office component for now. As a vision the SOMA project is breathtaking.... as a reality it will have to be re-imagined towards residences and hotels and retail with some office component.
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:02 AM   #20
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Supertalls for Yonkers!

Tags
75 market st., new jersey, newark, richard meier, soma, teachers village