daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:37 PM   #41
N.Y.C.H

Likes (Received): 407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Most of China is way nicer and safer than Newark, at least where I've been.

Isn't downtown Newark right near the airport though? I wonder if the FAA will have a problem with this.

I do agree it is odd, and like I said it would be better in JC or definitely brooklyn or queens. But hey a supertall is a supertall.
Have you been to every square mile of China to know that "most of it" is way nicer and safer than Newark? Probably not. Sure Newark has its problems, I've been there plenty of times, but it does have potential.

miau liked this post
N.Y.C.H no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #42
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
So a skyline that can't even support a single 150m building is suddenly going to have a supertall? That's pretty stupid if you ask me. This isn't going to complement the existing skyline at all. It's going to dominate it. It's going to BE the skyline.

Also, are these developers smoking crack? This is freaking NEWARK we are talking about. The city just isn't a safe, desirable place to be. This tower really doesn't make sense.
I feel like you you missed first page of this thread. The plan is for much more than a single supertall.

MarshallKnight liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 10:53 PM   #43
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

now THAT would be cool

...if it were someplace other than Newark that is
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #44
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Isn't downtown Newark right near the airport though? I wonder if the FAA will have a problem with this.
I don't think downtown is in the path of any runway. I wouldn't doubt it though.

photo - Newark Airport (EWR) by Jassy-50, on Flickr

Cargojet Airways Boeing 727-200/Adv(F) C-GCJB by jbp274, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2015, 11:40 PM   #45
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Here are the runways

baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #46
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

The subject had come up before, I looked in Google Maps back then, totally different trajectory.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 12:51 AM   #47
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
Newark as a city does look nice though, its a shame about it being a 'dangerous' city as it looks to have massive potential!
When you're talking about New Jersey, you don't have to put 'dangerous' in quotation marks
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:15 AM   #48
DZH22

Likes (Received): 2092

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
I feel like you you missed first page of this thread. The plan is for much more than a single supertall.

I feel like you missed the part where the below render doesn't quite match anything from the first page, and exclusively shows what seems to be an even taller supertall than before. Whether or not they build the rest, it's still ridiculous to kick if off with a building that's 2.5 times taller than anything else in the city.

DZH22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:24 AM   #49
(:

Likes (Received): 229

I have never been too impressed with the Newark skyline. It's nice but generally I am far too busy looking at NY. This said I think this will give Newark some much needed publicly and just be cool to look at!
Though I would generally say it is out of place.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 05:46 PM   #50
rlw777

Likes (Received): 471

Quote:
I feel like you missed the part where the below render doesn't quite match anything from the first page, and exclusively shows what seems to be an even taller supertall than before. Whether or not they build the rest, it's still ridiculous to kick if off with a building that's 2.5 times taller than anything else in the city.
Oh yeah I mean it is Soooo ridiculous to build something so much taller than the surrounding buildings.

charmedone, miau, iamtheSTIG, Seoul_Korea liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #51
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Oh yeah I mean it is Soooo ridiculous to build something so much taller than the surrounding buildings.
It totally didn't work with the ESB...why repeat?
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:27 AM   #52
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16998

Downtown Newark is safe , along with University Heights , The North & East Wards. The Violence is on the Southside by the Airport and in the West Ward. There has been a lot of redevelopment of the Downtown & Ironbound in recent years. Buildings lease out within a few weeks at Market Rate...so there is demand. NEWARK | Projects & Construction
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 03:41 AM   #53
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
So a skyline that can't even support a single 150m building is suddenly going to have a supertall? That's pretty stupid if you ask me. This isn't going to complement the existing skyline at all. It's going to dominate it. It's going to BE the skyline.

Also, are these developers smoking crack? This is freaking NEWARK we are talking about. The city just isn't a safe, desirable place to be. This tower really doesn't make sense.
If you knew anything about Newark and Urban Jersey in general...you would know that not all of Newark is dangerous. Its just like not all of Jersey City is dangerous , in recent years there has been a lot of redevelopment in Downtown Newark. Its similar to other nearby cities like The Oranges ,Bloomfield ,Harrison, New Brunswick , Morristown and Hackensack... The Apartments go very fast in these areas so demand is there , usually less then a month and the building will be 95% leased. Gentrification is slowly starting to take ground in Downtown & The Ironbound... Its a common stereotype that outside Jersey City , the rest of Urban Jersey is dangerous and rundown...but people are starting to find out that is not the case and investing. Its happening in cities all over this country , Cleavland , Downtown Detroit , St. Paul , St. Louis , Rochester , Worcester , Philly , Baltimore... Downtown Newark is where Downtown Brooklyn was back in 2000 , and it will be where Downtown Brooklyn is today in about 10 years time. As for the Dangerous areas of Newark seeing redevelopment , its starting to happen slowly just like it is happening in Brooklyn and The Bronx.. The More Transit Connections to New York ,and other important areas , the more reinvestment that city sees... Downtown Newark and The Ironbound are heavily connected to New York & Jersey City by the Regional Rail , PATH and Buses....thus they are seeing more redevelopment at a faster pace. The Development proposal above is along to abandoned light metro proposals...i'm sure these abandoned proposals with come back to life with the advancement of this plan...

citybooster liked this post
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #54
DZH22

Quote:

Both of these are rather pathetic examples, considering both cities already had SUPERTALLS when these 2 towers were built, while Newark doesn't even have a single 150m building. Try again..... Actually, if this is the best you can do, don't even bother.

Last edited by DZH22; January 13th, 2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:21 AM   #55
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
If you knew anything about Newark and Urban Jersey in general...
Half my family is from northern Jersey. I have spent plenty of time there. Used to take the commuter rail in to NYC every year. Newark stood out for the blight and broken windows in all the abandoned buildings. Isn't that where the knockout game originated? Great place.....
Old January 15th, 2015, 10:31 AM   #56
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Half my family is from northern Jersey. I have spent plenty of time there. Used to take the commuter rail in to NYC every year. Newark stood out for the blight and broken windows in all the abandoned buildings. Isn't that where the knockout game originated? Great place.....
Used to is the key word , Downtown Newark and The Ironbound have seen billions in investment over the few years with more planned. Vacancies along the Retail strips in The Ironbound are rare and housing in high demand in these 2 areas. Maybe its time you visit Newark again...its not the Newark of the early 2000s.... Philly , New Haven , Jersey City , New Brunswick , Providence , DC were all neglected and dumpy at one time with high crime and now they've either made a full comeback or are heading in that direction. Jersey City back in the 90s was just as dangerous as Newark and its done a complete 180 in the last 15 years.... Philly over the last 15 years has seen redevelopment in its Core and its now spreading outwards to North & South Philly... Downtown Newark is headed in the right direction , investors pouring billions in , people moving in , the City seems to welcome and pursue developers... Crime is dropping...and New schools are being built... I'm tired of people bashing Newark and other cities based on old stereotypes....

BarbaricManchurian liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; January 15th, 2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old January 15th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #57
Urban_Nerdin

Likes (Received): 61

Nexis is absolutely correct. As someone who works in Newark and has for the past 7 years. This place is nearly unrecognizable from when I first started. I'm very excited for what's in store for the area.
Urban_Nerdin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #58
harsh4461

Likes (Received): 8

will it be ever build if when
harsh4461 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 11:20 PM   #59
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:
there are lots of improvement there lately. Central areas are pretty nice - especially Ironbound. Once you go to western side, closer to Irvington - this is pretty bad there still. I was driving the other day there - not a single store in operation there, so the area looks pretty bad. But it looks like things are getting better

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #60
harsh4461

Likes (Received): 8

is it going to be built if when
harsh4461 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
75 market st., new jersey, newark, richard meier, soma, teachers village