daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #81
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22572

if the Millenium tower is 1000', I wonder how tall the building envisioned with the spire would be?

http://www.richardmeier.com/?project...hers-village-2

Zaz965 liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2015, 08:25 PM   #82
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Those buildings look ridiculous in Newark, but hey if it revitalizes downtown that's a great thing.

Newark is a sh*t hole, basically a big Camden
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #83
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Those buildings look ridiculous in Newark, but hey if it revitalizes downtown that's a great thing.

If you have nothing positive to say , then don't comment. I'm tired of people posting stereotypes about Newark and other parts of Urban Jersey...most of them are outdated by 10 years..
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:50 AM   #84
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

what nice cluster...
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:09 AM   #85
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
If you have nothing positive to say , then don't comment. I'm tired of people posting stereotypes about Newark and other parts of Urban Jersey...most of them are outdated by 10 years..
Urban New Jersey is still very dangerous. And the roads are post apocalyptic. I took a wrong turn once and ended up on a road with miles of solid concrete median barrier so I ended up shunted all the way up to I-95.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #86
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
Urban New Jersey is still very dangerous. And the roads are post apocalyptic. I took a wrong turn once and ended up on a road with miles of solid concrete median barrier so I ended up shunted all the way up to I-95.
Only 10 square miles of Urban Jersey which is around 630 Square miles if you add up all the cities is dangerous. The rest of Urban Jersey is on par with NYC crime levels or lower... The worst areas of Newark are in the South & West Wards. The Redevelopment is occurring in the Downtown , University Heights , and the East Ward which rarely see any violent crime these days. But what does Crime have to do with redevelopment in a stable and revitalizing area. How come I never hear of crime concerns being raised on the various NYC threads?

storms991 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 10th, 2015 at 10:53 PM.
Old March 10th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #87
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

Man so much hate for Newark in this thread. I'm excited for these towers though. Newark could really use some modern architecture and the height is delightful.
tinyslam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:20 AM   #88
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Man so much hate for Newark in this thread. I'm excited for these towers though. Newark could really use some modern architecture and the height is delightful.
I wasn't trying to hate on Newark, but I've lived most of my life in the northeast and urban Jersey is usually not so nice. On the plus side this would be a huge makeover for the city.
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:21 AM   #89
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6559

Quote:

have you been there lately? Newark is improving the last 20 years - basically all in front of my own eyes. Downtown and Broad street corridor is changing as we speak. Also Ferry street and its Portuguese community bustling business - is another perfect example how things changed.

Some parts of the city in the west are pretty bad - that is true, but nothing is out of place in the downtown area. given its direct Path train connection to NYC - it is one of the most desired places to build something.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 08:40 PM   #90
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

here's some more tidbits than what YIMBY provided. Revival seems to be the ultimate goal here.

http://www.rbhgrp.com/four-corners.html

Quote:
The Four Corners Millennium Project (“Millennium Project”) consists of seven mixed-use residential, hotel, office and retail buildings located in the heart of downtown Newark’s Four Corners Historic District.

[...]

The Millennium Project mirrors the goals and objectives of the SoMa Master Plan, extending the mixed-use, community-building concept north and east from the boundaries of SoMa (including its first phase Teachers Village development), to activate the core of the central business district. Specific uses within the Millennium Project include:

Residential: 807,565 sf (705 units)
Hotel: 70,815 sf (130 rooms)
Retail: 161,670 sf
Office: 110,000 sf

The buildings each contain retail on the ground floor, with residential, office or hotel uses above the ground floor. Parking for 599 cars will be accommodated within the project. Historic features of significant and Landmarked buildings will be preserved in the overall design of the Project.

The Millennium Project builds upon the City’s master planning efforts as outlined in the Living Downtown Plan and the Master Plan to strengthen Four Corners as the active retail crossroads of the downtown by encouraging a continuous, active street wall along Broad and Market Streets that creates vibrant storefronts with day and evening uses that promote pedestrian activity on the street.

In addition, the Millennium Project will enhance the quality of the downtown experience in order to increase residential population, support business attraction, and increase retail spending by a range of downtown populations, including residents, workers, students, and visitors.

Kanto, Nexis liked this post

Last edited by Hudson11; April 1st, 2015 at 08:48 PM.
Old April 8th, 2015, 10:38 AM   #91
Nexis
Dark Wolf

More Downtown Newark from Brandon Nagle
Quote:
RBH's Four Corners project will consist of 2 simultaneously constructed buildings that will together house 300 mostly market-rate apartments. The buildings are being designed now, will cost $100 Million each, and will likely break ground by the end of 2015. Both buildings will have underground parking, but not much. Instead, there will likely by a valet system to the other RBH owned lots. They own 79 properties that were purchased for $130 Million.
One will be next to the RBH Office. It will reach from the garage to the edge of 89 Market Street. It will be designed by Richard Meier and rise 13 stories high with ground floor retail.

The second will be 16 stories high and will by designed by Frank Gehry. It will also contain a hotel and some office space, and will somehow incorporate the facade of the Paramount Theater, and replace the buildings seen to the right of it. It will also break ground by the end of the year.

Kanto liked this post
Old April 8th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #92
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58053

Poor old townhouses. They could add a lot of charme to the scene of Newark if renovated and incorporated into new complexes, instead they'll be gone (probably forever). American cities constantly repeat their mistakes in once urban downtown areas.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Tower Dude, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:08 PM   #93
deepen915

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:

Comments like these are what holds Newark back! It has so much potential. I'm not from Newark, but I go to school there and it has really improved over the last 5-6 years.. This would make it a mini NYC.. I really hope I get to see this be built over the next 5 years!

Nexis liked this post
deepen915 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:11 PM   #94
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
Comments like these are what holds Newark back! It has so much potential. I'm not from Newark, but I go to school there and it has really improved over the last 5-6 years.. This would make it a mini NYC.. I really hope I get to see this be built over the next 5 years!
I didn't mean it like that. I agree with you which is why I said if it revitalizes downtown that's great.

I would love for Newark to become a mini NYC.
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:39 AM   #95
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 588

Seeing those old structures in such a state of disrepair saddens me greatly.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Kanto, ploppalopp, Nexis liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #96
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58053

Great start conditions for Newark to become a Mini NYC/Mini Apple - it even has an advantage, it still has its original Penn Station.

Oh and it needs to make great efforts to keep and value its historical heritage! It's what can be a game changer compared to other more recent and bland neighbourhoods in the New York metro.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Kanto, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 02:00 AM   #97
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Ron Beit certainly doesn't share some of the negative sentiments expressed about Newark in this thread. This article is a month old, but it shows how RBH is more than just talk. (italics added)

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/new...pment-ron-beit

Quote:
[...]
The Four Corners Millennium Project is the architectural heart of Newark. You are credited with addressing the historic district in a comprehensive, integrated manner. What attracted you to the Four Corners, and what difference do you think your development will make to Newark?
Old-school New Jerseyans grew up shopping at the Four Corners of Broad and Market Street, and there’s a real sensitivity to this intersection, so because of that the city was very focused on making sure that it gets redeveloped. It’s also a very important location vis-à-vis the nodes of development starting to emerge. This is the intersection that creates a continuous experience connecting the downtown, as it once did.

There was difficulty building consensus among the many constituents holding parcels around this intersection, so we devised an ownership structure that would work for everyone and this singular maneuver made it a viable project, at least one that can even be pursued. After this project, the downtown will be well on its way to new heights and on a new trajectory.

What aspect of the Four Corners project do you find most exciting?
Activating this intersection in a way that’s respectful of the historic use, which was just commercial retail, but adding a new twist. We intend to activate it with a significant residential population. It’s going to elevate Newark to 21st-century global levels, with world-famous architects designing buildings that will be socially minded and set the standard for 21st-century development.

[...]
Old November 9th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #98
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

They are also STILL trying for 101 Market Street for the massive tower. The listing was posted on August 17th, so it is only 85 days old.

https://42floors.com/us/nj/newark/10...18085%2C818087

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

Tupac96, Zaz965 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
75 market st., new jersey, newark, richard meier, soma, teachers village