daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #181
lindow

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cebuano Exultor View Post
My God. Why is there sooo little interest in this railway network. I mean, this has got to be the largest and most efficient urban railway network in the world. This thread has been dead for like 3 months now
It is because a Japanese does not participate in this forum at all.
The Japanese got used to seeing a subway and the Shinkansen.
I think that many people have been bored.

Last edited by lindow; July 19th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
lindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2008, 12:29 AM   #182
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

The Japan Forum has a Japan Mass Transit Thread. It's 68 pages long.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #183
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8228

Tokyo has an impressive network. Sure, the stations are not as imaginative as some other systems.

When I used the largest stations, (such as Shinjuku, Ikebukuro or Shinagawa) I just couldn't believe my eyes...there were hundreds of thousands of people making their way and the system could manage them all efficiently. (Granted, the overall level of education of japanese society does play a role in thing working so well).

Pictures often don't make justice, you have to use this system to realise just how amazing it is.
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #184
2co2co

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindow View Post
It is because a Japanese does not participate in this forum at all.
The Japanese got used to seeing a subway and the Shinkansen.
I think that many people have been bored.

Quite true. I'm one here, but haven't really found anyone else (Japanese who grew up in Japan). They all go to 2ch BBS which is about x1000 bigger than skyscrapercity
2co2co no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #185
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

^Language barrier. Plus, I think Japanese railfans are at a whole other level compared to railfans elsewhere, so I think they tend to congregate together... Partly because the culture is conducive to hobbyism/otaku and partly because trains are very much a part of daily life for many people. I guess I could liken it to some Americans' obsession with hotrodding or the import car scene.

But to be honest, I don't find the Tokyo subway system (Metro + Toei) as impressive as you would expect, compared to the rest of the network... It's definitely efficient, but I guess I'm just more into the private railways and JR, which have nicer-looking trains and more interesting operations.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:15 AM   #186
CerealenJapon
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Tachikawa Monorail

some pictures of the monorail to the west of Tokyo

small contribution I hope you like it
CerealenJapon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #187
subwaymark

Likes (Received): 0

Here are some more of the Tama Monorail

Kita-Tachikawa:

Tama Town Center:

Tama Town Center:

Matsugaya

I have photos of many transit systems that I have visited on my website: http://ktransit.com

Thanks!
Mark Kavanagh
Salem, OR
http://ktransit.com
subwaymark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #188
lindow

Likes (Received): 4

Oedo line.

The Shinjuku station, seventh basement.
lindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #189
Tri-ring
Expert

Likes (Received): 7

The average Tokyoties(both foreign and domestic alike) takes the Tokyo metro system for granted like air we breath and will not recognize who deeply it is inbedded to their normal everyday life until it stops(again like air).
That itself is a testment to how efficient the system really is.
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #190
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindow View Post
Oedo line.
Could you post the passenger trains for this line? It is a maintence locomotive after the operation time.
Old March 31st, 2010, 12:55 PM   #191
tokyo_metro

Likes (Received): 0

Tokyo | Metro

The Official Metro map on a PDF file:

http://www.tokyometro.jp/rosen/rosen.../rosen_eng.pdf
tokyo_metro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #192
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10733

TOKYO METROPOLITAN AREA (KANTO) | Public Transport

This thread is dedicated to the urban transport systems of the Greater Tokyo area (so Kanto in general).

Transportation overview
The main transport method in Tokyo is public transit, walking and bicycling with private automobile transportation playing a smaller role. Tokyo has the world's most extensive and heavily used rail network (Rapid Transit and Subways, Commuter rail, Light rail, Monorail, High Speed Rail etc) with most commuters walking or biking to the nearest station. The system for paying is also advanced with NFC cards or phones being used to pay in a second (2.57 million daily transactions), as well as being usable as a credit card in restaurants and many other features. Rail stations, trains and systems are constantly being updated, renovated and expanded. Shinjuku Station is the busiest in the world. Tokyo also has an extensive bus network though it is mostly used as a feeder to rail stations. Pedestrian infrastructure is also well developed with many elevated crosswalks and large bicycle parking buildings. The Tokyo Metro's Ginza Line is the first subway built in Asia, it opened on December 30, 1927.

Rail Statistics
Greater Tokyo rail usage: 40 million passengers daily; 14.6 billion yearly by far the highest in the world.
Tokyo Subway (Metro+Toei) alone: 8.66 million daily; 3.2 billion yearly. Represents 22% of total rail ridership.
For all urban rail there are 49 operators, 146 lines, 4,714.7 km and there are 2,141 stations.

Map of the greater Tokyo rail system:

Greater Tokyo Railway Network by Kzaral, on Flickr

"Central" Tokyo rail map:

Central Tokyo Railway Network by Kzaral, on Flickr

Maps made by FML http://www.mukiryoku.com/railmap_e.html

Last edited by ukiyo; October 12th, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
ukiyo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #193
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10733

This is SUICA's map (suica is a card that you can use on basically every rail system in the region including buses, vending machines etc).

This is a map made by JR for their museum that I bought and have on my wall: http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC04934.jpg

dj4life liked this post

Last edited by ukiyo; October 26th, 2014 at 10:43 PM.
ukiyo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #194
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Just a quick question: what's the added value of these separate Japanese threads when all these systems are already covered in quashlo's JAPAN|Urban Transport Compilation thread?
Alargule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #195
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Well, as these four separated areas in Japan actually possess some of the most extensive railway systems in the world, they really are justified in having their own threads. Also, according to Jan's latest initiative, he doesn't like large, complex and long compilation threads and advised us to divide them up into smaller, more focused threads. This is good for indexing and for search engines to find relevant results to direct new users to more specific information. Not only that, but it means that developments in parts of Japan outside of these major areas are not as lost in amongst all of the information pertinent to these areas.

Hope that is clear for you.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 07:29 PM   #196
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Just a quick question: what's the added value of these separate Japanese threads when all these systems are already covered in quashlo's JAPAN|Urban Transport Compilation thread?
New York has 3 threads (Subway, Path, Commuter rail), Hong Kong has 3 threads (MTR, Double Decker Trams, Double Decker Busses), and yet Tokyo, the largest urban area on the planet, has to get lumped in to an "All of Japan" thread?

sweet-d liked this post
BoulderGrad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM   #197
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

We don't forget about Tokyo city buses.

Most city bus lines inside Tokyo Metropolis are operated by Toei (Tokyo Metropolitan Bureau of Transport). The service is known as To Bus (都バス). Tokyo is one of two cities where the local government operates the bus lines directly.

The system carries 570,000 passengers per day.

Buses in Tokyo began Its operations just after Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923 to replace damaged streetcar lines, in a emergency operation with two routes. 1972 was the year which the system operated at its maximum capacity, with 1,298,912 daily passengers.

Nowadays, Toei bus has:

- About 1470 buses, 58% low-floor vehicles. There is no bendy bus in Toei fleet. All buses has two doors and 11 meters of length.
- 138 routes that always connect a train or subway station
- 1,639 bus stops
- 12 depots

The fare is 200 yen. One-day ticket is 500 Yen. Students pay 170 Yen in special school routes. Pasmo card is accepted on Toei buses.

Svartmetall, Klausenburg liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 12:14 AM   #198
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Thanks for the effort. Would take an awfully long time to list all private bus companies and their routes too. Easy to forget the buses due to the extensive rail system but they do fill the gaps.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 01:07 AM   #199
Hegemonic

Likes (Received): 366

I'll be in Gunma Prefecture in 3 weeks, I'll get some pics while I'm there.
Hegemonic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #200
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Thanks for the effort. Would take an awfully long time to list all private bus companies and their routes too. Easy to forget the buses due to the extensive rail system but they do fill the gaps.
It is true. We can talk about Kanto buses only when something relevant is reported in the media.

Keisei Railway has Its own bus lines, operated for Japanese vehicles and some German-made Citaro bendy buses:

Japanese commercial vehicles industry don't make bendy buses.

Klausenburg liked this post
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote