daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #201
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10733

Tokyo Station platform roof to be replaced
Quote:

The entire roof of a JR Tokyo Station platform will be removed and replaced for first time since the station opened in 1914, according to East Japan Railway Co.

A JR East official said the company decided that two of the 14 cast iron pillars holding up the roof will be preserved as a “monument” in recognition that the roof is a historic piece of architecture that survived the 1923 Great Kanto Earthquake and the Great Tokyo Air Raid in 1945 during World War II.

Other key moments in history that took place in the station were the assassination of Prime Minister Takashi Hara in 1921 and the attempted assassination of Osachi Hamaguchi in 1930.

The roof covers the platform of tracks No. 5 and No. 6, used by Yamanote Line trains and Keihin Tohoku Line trains bound for Ofuna Station. Although half of the roof was rebuilt after the war, a portion measuring around 12 meters wide and 50 meters long and associated cast iron pillars have been in constant use for a century.

No decision has been made on preserving the 12 other pillars.

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0001214314
ukiyo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:44 AM   #202
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

I'm glad that JR East is investing some money into their stations. The only thing I noted when I was in Tokyo that could have possibly been a negative or at least a point to be improved upon is the maintenance on their bridges and other such things - just a bit of paint to help stave off rusting. There were a fair few rusting bridges around even in the centre. Seems there is a lot of investment occurring though - Kanda station in particular was in absolute pieces as they were re-doing the whole thing.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #203
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3770

Japanese buses have indeed a very interesting design:

[IMG]http://i57.************/8yakg4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i57.************/e9uno9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.************/2u9sjd0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i59.************/2vb7h2g.jpg[/IMG]

Source 1
Source 2

Last edited by Klausenburg; April 17th, 2014 at 01:18 AM.
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #204
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

OMG, it's so ugly it's cute! Reminds me of:

The pre-MARTA Atlanta Transit System used City Slickers. The orange ones like this weren't air conditioned; the air conditioned ones were a weird pastel lime green. As kids, we called the orange ones "regulars" and the green ones "menthols."

Sorry for the OT diversion. And thanks for this and the other new Japanese threads!

pudgym29 liked this post

Last edited by Tom 958; April 17th, 2014 at 02:17 AM.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 02:40 AM   #205
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klausenburg View Post
Japanese buses have indeed a very interesting design:

[IMG]http://i57.************/8yakg4.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i57.************/e9uno9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i60.************/2u9sjd0.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i59.************/2vb7h2g.jpg[/IMG]

Source 1
Source 2
There is the Sightseeing Bus of Toei, that operates a tourism route in Tokyo downtown.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #206
ukiyo

Just for fun here is a 30 minute video I took from JR's Chuo Line going through Tokyo

Looking out the opposite direction

Looking at trains at ochanomizu station

I have dozens of other videos if anyone is interested in me posting them.

Klausenburg, Stanislav. liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:48 PM   #207
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

From Japan Times:

Quote:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.U1ATRFV_uvU

Shibuya Station to be rebuilt
APR 16, 2014, BY KAZUAKI NAGATA

Shibuya Station is seen in an image showing how it will look after renovations are done and three new buildings are built, render from JR East

East Japan Railway Co. said it will start laying the groundwork Thursday for wholesale renovations of Shibuya Station in Tokyo that will take more than a decade to complete.

In the end, there will be a new 46-story building with offices and shopping malls, a single platform for Yamanote Line trains heading in opposite directions and easier access to the Saikyo Line, according to JR East.

Four different railway operators use Shibuya Station, one of the busiest stations in the nation’s capital. But “the structure of the station is complex and aging, so it is not really easy to figure out where to go when people transfer,” said Yoichi Suzuki, a JR East spokesman.

Now 350 meters away, after renovations the Saikyo Line platform will be next to a single Yamanote Line platform, vastly shortening transfer times.

Passengers now have to be careful to choose which of the two Yamanote Line platforms they need, depending on where they’re going. One heads for Shinjuku, the other for Shinagawa. Eventually both trains will leave from the same platform.

But it’s anybody’s guess when this will happen. JR East says it doesn’t yet know how long the renovations will take to complete.

Not all changes will be on the inside. Three new buildings are planned outside the station.

A 46-story building will grace the east side by 2020. On the west side, there will be a 13-story building by 2027 and a 10-story building between them.

For now JR East said it’s preparing for the work by securing construction space and repairing the entrance to the Saikyo Line.

The carrier said it aims to begin full-scale construction in fiscal 2015.
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #208
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Been following this quite closely. The whole area is rather a construction site. In fact, all the way across the JR East network in the centre of Tokyo there are a LOT of improvements and station reconstructions. Thanks for the render (and article).
Old April 17th, 2014, 11:14 PM   #209
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Ueno Station also deserve a big revitalization, with better connection between Keisei-Ueno, Tokyo Metro and East JR platforms.

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #210
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo View Post
Looking at trains at ochanomizu station

Chuo Rapid Line below, Chuo-Sobu Line above.

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:21 PM   #211
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodalvesdepaula View Post
Ueno Station also deserve a big revitalization, with better connection between Keisei-Ueno, Tokyo Metro and East JR platforms.
The connection isn't too bad between the two, but you have to walk through a number of different passageways due to distance. They do need some more clear signage between the two stations, though. Ueno is probably the least polished of the major stations though, that'd I'd agree with you.
Old April 18th, 2014, 12:21 AM   #212
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

I think that Keisei-Ueno, Tokyo Metro and JR Ueno Station would be connect by underground passageways, with ticket machines into these walkways.

The car parking above JR Ueno Station would be converted by a new highway bus terminal for Sendai, Morioka, Yamagata, Niigata, Akita, Nagano and Kanazawa lines. Some JR Bus and willer Express lines would use this place, relieving Tokyo Station.

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:29 AM   #213
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
I think that Keisei-Ueno, Tokyo Metro and JR Ueno Station would be connect by underground passageways, with ticket machines into these walkways.

The car parking above JR Ueno Station would be converted by a new highway bus terminal for Sendai, Morioka, Yamagata, Niigata, Akita, Nagano and Kanazawa lines. Some JR Bus and willer Express lines would use this place, relieving Tokyo Station.
Well, you can walk underground between the two stations - you just walk to the Tokyo Metro station first and then up to the JR Station. This video illustrates the connection from Ueno Keisei to Tokyo Metro. You can see the sign pointing to the JR portion of Ueno when he hits the Metro station.

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #214
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Nice!

But, Is It possible to install "rolling crawlers" like as existing in airports? São Paulo metro uses "rolling crawlers" to connect two very busy subway stations:

I always use these "rolling crawlers" when I go to Sao Paulo downtown by subway.

Old April 18th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #215
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

I'm not sure whether that's on the cards, but I do know that the Ginza line is undergoing a massive overhaul to the tune of 50 billion yen with all stations (except Nihonbashi) being renovated by 2017 and then the remaining stations will be started by 2018.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/n...-plan-revealed

I believe Quashlo posted renders of some of the designs for the first section between Asakusa and Ueno in the general Japan compilation thread. I'm actually quite excited about this as I can see a number of stations on the line need a bit of work doing on them.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:16 PM   #216
ukiyo

Another video I took

From around 7 minutes in this video is "suburban" Tokyo.

Rodalvesdepaula, Svartmetall liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:23 PM   #217
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Unfortunately, East JR abandoned Narita Shinkansen project... I think East JR would study a way to increase the speed of Narita Express, to compete with Keisei Skyliner, that operates in a higher speed in 23%

Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:31 AM   #218
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Unfortunately, East JR abandoned Narita Shinkansen project... I think East JR would study a way to increase the speed of Narita Express, to compete with Keisei Skyliner, that operates in a higher speed in 23%
No way JR East could revive the Narita Shinkansen project because part of the right of way planned for that shelved line is now being used by the Keisei Narita Sky Access line.

However, JR East could seriously look at building new Narita Express trainsets derived from the planned E353 trainset. Since the E353 "tilts" into curves, that would allow for faster speeds east of JR East Chiba Station to cut the travel time between Narita Airport and Tokyo Station.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:12 PM   #219
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Keisei AE Series trainsets have tilt suspension?

Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:26 PM   #220
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101817

Can anyone sum up all this information:

How many lines are there in total?
How many kms of tracks?
How many stations?

How many types of rolling stock are there currently on all the lines?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote