daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2015, 01:26 AM   #441
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Some more videos of my wife's tour of Tokyo.

First up - the Shonan-Shinjuku line at Ofuna station. This is a brief look at the station as well as a train departure on the Shonan-Shinjuku line - and boy these trains are long (and have the green car section too).

Next up is another more unusual form of transport. The Shonan monorail is one of the few hanging monorails in the world. Inspired by the Schwebebahn in Wuppertal, the Shonan monorail was the first of its type in Japan (followed by the Chiba monorail). This is a ride of the entire length of the line. Apologies for the quality of the video - for some reason the light screwed with the camera a bit.

Next up, Tama Plaza station in Aoba-ku in Kanagawa prefecture. This station is on the Tokyu Den-en-toshi line and has a very large shopping mall attached. The station itself is pretty flashy actually.

Finally, a quick ride on the Den-en-toshi line between Tama Plaza and Miyamaedaira station.

Hope you like these less often seen parts of Tokyo.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 1st, 2015, 08:24 AM   #442
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Next up, Tama Plaza station in Aoba-ku in Kanagawa prefecture. This station is on the Tokyu Den-en-toshi line and has a very large shopping mall attached. The station itself is pretty flashy actually.
For those interested, some more pics of that station and development. BTW there is a very nice hobby shop in the adjacent Tokyu shopping center (Tama Plaza Terrace North Plaza)

http://www.archdaily.com/76557/tama-...low-architects

Svartmetall liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:54 PM   #443
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Cheers for the link! I actually remember it being built myself when I started following developments in Japan back when I first joined SSC.
Old July 9th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #444
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A bit of outer Tokyo metropolitan area here - a view of the semi-rural Chichibu main line.

Followed by a rather amateur video of the journey on the Seibu Chichibu line from Hanno station.

Old July 10th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #445
RamahPejalanKaki

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
One of the most famous rail stations in Japan, Kamakurakōkōmae Station, is located on this line, as shown here:

Uploaded to Wikimedia Commons by user ∑64

Innumerable TV shows and commercials have been filmed around this station.
I know this station, I watched it in Enoshima Prism.

Koalisi Pejalan Kaki
RamahPejalanKaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #446
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Svartmetall, if you want to see a better video of the Seibu Chichibu Line, try this excellent zenmen tenbou (forward cab view) video done my YouTube member Japan Train Viewing:

dimlys1994 liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #447
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

Hi, guys, can anyone explain what's going on this section of Yurakucho Line?
http://freepass-nikki.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2015-07-04

dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #448
sacto7654

dimlys1994, they're doing some sort of line construction on the Tokyo Metro Yurakucho Line.

Old July 10th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #449
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

They are constructing a double grade-separated junction to avoid the current crossings at level.

This is because the through service on the Seibu Ikebukuro Line (blue) when runs through the Fukutoshin (brown) (pink) affects the Tobu Tojo - Yurakucho through (green).

What they are doing is an easy access for all lines, Yurakucho through Seibu Ikebukuro and Fukutoshin through Tobu Tojo.

Note the platforms on Senkawa Station (千川駅) that are in a different level.

Maps: http://mirai-report.com/blog-category-72.html

Svartmetall, dimlys1994, mrsmartman, Swede liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; July 10th, 2015 at 07:27 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #450
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Hi, guys, can anyone explain what's going on this section of Yurakucho Line?
http://freepass-nikki.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2015-07-04

(checks Bing translator)

This is Senkawa station.

(checks Tokyo Metro map)

Now I remember.

This is where you have the Seibu Ikebukuro and Tobu Tojo lines feeding into the Yurakucho and Fukutoshin lines.

Because of the inter-lining, there are eight possible movements (four in each direction):

Seibu <-> Yurakucho

Seibu <-> Fukutoshin

Tobu <-> Yurakucho

Tobu <-> Fukutoshin

The purpose of this project is to add a pair of connecting ramp tunnels so that all possible movements can be made without any conflict (while they can all be made now, there are a couple of conflict points).

00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #451
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
Svartmetall, if you want to see a better video of the Seibu Chichibu Line, try this excellent zenmen tenbou (forward cab view) video done my YouTube member Japan Train Viewing:

There is a difference of course. This video was taken by my wife. All of these videos are our own work and our own effort, though she is not so steady with the camera unfortunately as it is normally me that does the videos for my channel (but I couldn't go to Japan this time). It does, at least, give an impression of how the line looks out of the window.

So yes, whilst I appreciate the effort of finding another video for me, hopefully you can tolerate our amateur videos too without denigrating them too much.
Old July 11th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #452
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
How can the train skip stops without additional tracks?
It's called timing the trains. When a rapid train approaches Kaminagaya Station, a local train or two will hold there so that the rapid trains can go through first (using the inner two tracks). And by the way, trains that skip stops even on double tracks is a common feature on the following lines:

- Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line
- Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line (with Odakyu Romancecar trains)
- Tokyo Metro Tozai Line
- Toei Shinjuku Line
- JR Chuo Line (especially west of Mitaka Station)

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:46 AM   #453
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Quote:
New subway lines eyed for Tokyo

The Yomiuri Shimbun
The Tokyo metropolitan government has announced plans to construct two subway lines directly linking central Tokyo and two developing destinations — the Rinkai waterfront area, where major development is under way ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, and Shinagawa Station, the future terminal station of the Linear Chuo Shinkansen.

The metropolitan government will ask the central government to include the two new lines in the national policy on railway construction, which the Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism Ministry’s transportation policy council is to compile by the end of this fiscal year.

Of the two envisaged lines, the new line in the Rinkai area will connect the areas around Ginza in Chuo Ward and the Ariake district in Koto Ward, while the other line is expected to stretch from around Shirokane-Takanawa Station in Minato Ward, which is now served by subway lines such as the Tokyo Metro Namboku Line.

The metropolitan government previously announced it would request the construction of 17 lines to the central government, which comprises five “lines for priority consideration,” including the Haneda Airport Access Line and an extension of the Yurakucho subway line, as well as 12 “lines for consideration.” The latest two lines were added to the latter category.
The Japan News
Old July 15th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #454
sacto7654

What Tokyo really needs is way more service to the eastern wards of Tokyo and northern Chiba Prefecture.

Currently, the JR East Sōbu and Keiyo Lines are running at capacity, the Tokyo Metro Tōzai Line and the Tōyō Rapid Railway Line extension only covers part of northern Chiba Prefecture, and the Keisei Electric Railway funnels most of its traffic from Chiba Prefecture to that bottleneck at Nippori Station. There's got to be a better solution than what we have now.
Old July 16th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #455
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

I was under the impression there was a plan to extend the Hanzomon Line to Matsudo?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #456
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Here is a quick tour of Seibu Chichibu station. This is the terminus of the Seibu Chichibu line that was proposed to be closed by the Seibu group by the majority shareholder, Cerberus a couple of years back. There was significant backlash to the plan and currently the idea was mothballed to the best of my knowledge (though I am happy to be corrected).

It would be a great shame if the line (amongst others) would be closed as it offers amazing views (as seen by my previous video of the line) as well as connecting Chichibu to Tokyo in the most direct way possible.

Old July 17th, 2015, 04:41 AM   #457
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
I was under the impression there was a plan to extend the Hanzomon Line to Matsudo?
Yes, but it apparently has been shelved after Tokyo Metro announced that any major construction of new lines (excluding branches) would end with the completion of the Fukutoshin Line.
Old July 17th, 2015, 09:23 AM   #458
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
It's called timing the trains. When a rapid train approaches Kaminagaya Station, a local train or two will hold there so that the rapid trains can go through first (using the inner two tracks). And by the way, trains that skip stops even on double tracks is a common feature on the following lines:

- Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line
- Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line (with Odakyu Romancecar trains)
- Tokyo Metro Tozai Line
- Toei Shinjuku Line
- JR Chuo Line (especially west of Mitaka Station)
Yes, I think the technical term for the operation is "timed overtakes". It requires strict timetable discipline, which cannot always be expected on many systems. It is very common on Japanese railways, especially on the bigger private railway lines, which typically have multi-level services on double track main lines and overtake stations laid out in the two platform/four track pattern. It is not as common on underground metro lines due to space constraints, but as the above examples show, they are increasing .

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old July 17th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #459
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Yes, but it apparently has been shelved after Tokyo Metro announced that any major construction of new lines (excluding branches) would end with the completion of the Fukutoshin Line.
There was also a plan to extend the Yurakucho Line to Kameari and thence to Noda but I believe any plans for extension beyond Sumiyoshi have been abandoned.

But then, all these new plans coming out for a new subway from Tokyo Station through Kachidoki, Harumi, and Ariake, and the massive plan for new lines from basically everywhere to Haneda, bring the whole notion of "no new lines" into question.
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2015, 05:40 AM   #460
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
But then, all these new plans coming out for a new subway from Tokyo Station through Kachidoki, Harumi, and Ariake, and the massive plan for new lines from basically everywhere to Haneda, bring the whole notion of "no new lines" into question.
"No new lines" is only Tokyo Metro...

Toei can build however much they want, but seeing as they have quite a fair bit of debt, I doubt they'll be planning any new construction in the medium term.

And don't forget JR East and all the private operators...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote