daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #521
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

If you are moving out this way, we've got to get into some serious railfanning in that case! 😁🚊

Svartmetall liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #522
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Sounds good to me! We are looking at Tokyo as an opinion following my PhD, but I wanted my wife to see the kind of area we could afford to buy a house in before I really aim for there.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #523
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

Tokyu Corp. and other railways is expected to finish work on a 230-meter building by Shibuya Station in 2019 that will have a 3,000 sq. meter observation deck where people can get a 360-degree view of Tokyo.

Tokyu unveils plans for skyscraper observatory in Shibuya

Tokyo’s bustling Shibuya district will get a 230-meter high observation deck before the Olympics that could become more famous than its statue of Hachiko the dog or the “scramble crossing” by the train station, plans unveiled by Tokyu Corp. showed Thursday.

“From this observation deck, you can see the busiest crossing in the world. It will be the only such facility where you can feel the dynamism of Shibuya, and we hope that this will be a globally popular spot,” said Takuji Okugi, a section chief for the Shibuya redevelopment project at Tokyu, unveiling images of the facility overlooking the east side of the station.

Tokyu, along with East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) and Tokyo Metro Co., is a major stakeholder in the shopping district. It said the observation deck will top a new skyscraper set to open in 2019 in front of the Hikarie complex and have about 3,000 sq. meters of floor space, making it one of the biggest in Japan. It will have a helipad, too.

Visitors will be able to see the capital’s other landmarks, including Tokyo Tower and Tokyo Skytree, as well as Mount Fuji on a clear day. At 230 meters, it will rival the 238-meter Mori Tower at Roppongi Hills but remain in the shadow of Japan’s tallest commercial building, the 300-meter Abeno Harukas in Osaka.

Tokyu also said the railways are redesigning the subways to improve access between train lines going into and out of the station.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.Ve21jfntlBd

ground breaking ceremony was held
the 350m distance between JR Yamanote and Saikyo line at Shibuya Sta ..these platforms will be adjoined
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #524
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

I don't know was this news here or not, but this is what I found on Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=529

Mitsubishi reveals new Tokyo suburban trains
Tuesday, September 08, 2015

MITSUBISHI Heavy Industries (MHI) is preparing to deliver a new five-car rubber-tyred suburban train to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's Bureau of Transportation for use on the Nippori - Toneri line from October 10

The new light-weight Model 330 trains are designed to boost passenger capacity, particularly during the morning and evening peak. The train features MHI's G-Fit longitudinal seating which boosts seating capacity by 19 compared with existing sets, while offering an overall capacity increase of 97 passengers in each five-car train. The trains are also 1.5 tonnes lighter than existing models used on the line, which is made possible through the use of a double-skin aluminium body structure

Svartmetall, loefet, pudgym29 liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #525
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Weird to read first in a typical Eurocentric specialized web rather than typical Japanese rail portal but apparently is correct.

Well, here a news report from today announcing the new rolling stock for the Nippori-Toneri Line (330 Series) and for the Toden Arakawa Line (8900 Series) with some photos:

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-471.html

Debut for the new 330 Series 10 October, for the 8900 Series next week 18 September. No test runs?

dimlys1994, Svartmetall, loefet, pudgym29 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 08:41 PM   #526
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Well, expanding the information for the Spanish version of the Japan Urban Transport thread, I've found some videos of 330 series doing test runs:

According the uploading date, specially the first, the train was delivered at least in mid-August.

dimlys1994, JOHANNES1983, Svartmetall liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; September 8th, 2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old September 13th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #527
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

And to expand on the groundbreaking of the new JR Shibuya station along with the Tokyu owned building next door:

Groundbreaking for JR Shibuya Station Redevelopments

I was able to talk to a few Tokyu and JR contractors, planners and archietects on this development a few days later, and they say we are going to start to see some serious building happening after November. Up until now, most of the construction has been taking place under the east side of the development to move the Shibuya River canal into a new culvert along with creating a new water retention facility. Since that is done, we will now see more above ground works start in earnest.
  1. As far as JR is concerned, They will first need to make the Yamanote line inner loop platform (Shinagawa-Tokyo bound) into an island platform for the outer loop trains to stop there.
  2. Next they can then hack away at the then disused platform on that side and add another track somehow, creating a new island platform out of the space. At that point the Yamanote Line will move to that platform temporarily.
  3. The island platform first created then can be shifted more and become the new Saikyo Line platform, and the Yamanote platform will be shifted over more and become the new Yamanote Platform... side by side in the final configuration.
This will have to happen while the station is in operation, still catering to *the same amount of people that have to use the station everyday (including yours truly )

JR will be using their existing property lines and not encroach upon Tokyu's property line--which if you see the site in person, is impossible now since there's a building foundation going in where the old Tokyu Toyoko station used to be. How they manage that is beyond my comprehension but I can't wait to document the process.

The goal for completing the JR platform rennovation is the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, in time for the Olympics. Again, my mouth dropped, but since I have a booklet from Tokyu along with a press release from JR East, this is gospel. The completely renovated station will be done 7 years later in 2027, but the platform structures will be there in time for the Olympics.

Here's a news report with coverage of the ground breaking as well as a a good graphic overview from TokyoMX TV the other night...

dimlys1994, Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #528
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

So if I understand correctly:

1. The Yamanote Line inner track platform will be converted to an island platform

2. Outer loop trains will start to use the island platform, and a new track + platform will be built where the old outer loop platform is

3. Yamanote Line services will be redirected to the new platform, and the now former inner loop platform will be moved and used for the Saikyo Line

Also, what was that bit at the end about shortening Tokyu -> JR transfer time?

Quick question though, why not use the opportunity to have cross-platform interchange between the Saikyo and Yamanote lines, like the Keihin-Tohoku Line on the other side of the loop?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #529
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Weird to read first in a typical Eurocentric specialized web rather than typical Japanese rail portal but apparently is correct.

Well, here a news report from today announcing the new rolling stock for the Nippori-Toneri Line (330 Series) and for the Toden Arakawa Line (8900 Series) with some photos:

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-471.html

Debut for the new 330 Series 10 October, for the 8900 Series next week 18 September. No test runs?
Why do they prefer such an outdated and weird look of trains in Japan?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 07:53 AM   #530
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Why do you needs to quote all my post, photos included, to ask me this stupid question?

Maadeuurija liked this post
Old September 17th, 2015, 11:13 AM   #531
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
How is it "outdated"? It is very functional, as nearly all designs in Japan are, but I don't think outdated is the right word. The trains are not fast running so don't need to be slick and curved. They are, however, very compact and built to their purpose.
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:46 PM   #532
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Well yes in a perfect world, all trains in Europe and Asia and Africa would look like a Desiro or a Flirt.

But seriously, the Arakawa Line tram is not really representative of Japanese rolling stock design. It is at best "conservative" in its design execution. Japanese tram design basically froze or regressed in the 1970s as most systems were being torn up or truncated. Only recently with growing awareness of using LRT for urban renewal has design progressed. The Arakawa Line itself is an isolated curiousity with little need for innovation.

That said, for EMU designs, I challenge anyone to tell us a single nation in the world that has the same level of diversity in designs, color schemes, and operational practice as Japan. I doubt such a place exists.
Old September 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM   #533
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
The Arakawa line is an isolated streetcar operation in Tokyo. New rolling stock must conform to the existing (very old) infrastructure while maximizing capacity, safety, and performance. That is why this particular vehicle looks so blocky. Rolling stock on newer lines can look much more impressive.

There is a similar situation in Moscow with having to order new stock to fit into the existing subways. The Ring Line, on the other hand, has much sleeker equipment, at least partially because it has the ability to start from scratch to a greater degree.

Also: WOW!! Mod-fight, much?

starrwulfe, Swede liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 06:32 PM   #534
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Mod fight? I don't see a mod fight.

Either way, I agree with what you say - which is pretty much what I said. It has to be functional and fit to purpose. In this case, it's an old line with an old permanent way, therefore its requirements are different. Much like the deep level tubes in London, design constraints limit the type of stock that can ply the lines.
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:47 AM   #535
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
So if I understand correctly:

1. The Yamanote Line inner track platform will be converted to an island platform

2. Outer loop trains will start to use the island platform, and a new track + platform will be built where the old outer loop platform is

3. Yamanote Line services will be redirected to the new platform, and the now former inner loop platform will be moved and used for the Saikyo Line
Something like this, yes. I have yet to see it on paler but that's how it was explained to me by a construction official.

Quote:
Also, what was that bit at the end about shortening Tokyu -> JR transfer time?
Because right now you have to come from the B5/B4 levels, up a narrow set of stairs/passages and out into the street then walk over to the JR gates and up another set of stairs. It's nuts. Once construction is finished, there will be a 3 level transfer concourse leading directly from the Tokyu gates to the JR gates in a smooth fashion by using the basement of the new building being built now.

Quote:
Quick question though, why not use the opportunity to have cross-platform interchange between the Saikyo and Yamanote lines, like the Keihin-Tohoku Line on the other side of the loop?
Because a crazy set of flyovers would need to be built before and after Shibuya station and there's no room to do it. Shinjuku station has Sobu/yamanote line cross transfer platforms. Most people on the Saikyo line are getting off at the major stations along the west side of the loop so its OK.

fieldsofdreams liked this post
Old September 18th, 2015, 02:55 PM   #536
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101817

More pictures are always welcome guys.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #537
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Okay, as instructed, here is a new video from Tokyo. This is the very famous Yamanote line. A short video from my wife again. This journey takes us from Ueno to Shinjuku.

Old October 3rd, 2015, 10:11 AM   #538
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

I know that Sr.Horn would not appriciate quoting his post, but this news concern article title. Taken from Japanese subforum, posted there on 26th September:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
This is the new tramway model for the Toden Arakawa Line. The unit is manufactured by Alna Sharyo, an small company from Osaka focused in tramways.

Quote:

Well, the design is classic: boxy, with a kawai moquette, an incorpores new elements like 15'' monitors or LED lighting.

Source: http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/article/topic/entry-486.html
Very nice model

austrian liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 03:41 PM   #539
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

And to think that they nearly shut down the tram operation of what became the Toden Arakawa Line in the 1960's. The only reason why they never shut it down was that part of Tokyo was not well-served by subway or commuter rail at the time, and shutting it down would have created commuting problems. Today, this is the only true trolley line left in Tokyo, since the Tokyu Setagaya Line runs on its own dedicated right of way with essentially no street running.

dimlys1994 liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM   #540
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Keio inspector train "DAX" and Keio 8000-series "TAKAO promotion"

Keio Railway presented its new inspector train KuYa 900 "DAX" (Dynamic Analytical eXpress). This is a three cars set based on 9000 series.

Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2015/09/24/515/

"DAX":

On September 30 Keio Railway has started the operations of the repainted 8000 series in green (like retired 2000 series). This train is used by the "TAKAO promotion" campaign.

Wikipedia Keio 2000 Series 1956 - 2000

Mount Takao is a famous spot west Tokyo with many trails, temples and perfect for a day trip. Also, a couple of different transit systems are available to be used there:

The train painted in green incorpores the silhouette of the Mount Takao in four colors representing the four seasons of the year.

Source: http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-492.html / http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2015/09/30/515/

8000 series "Takao promotion":

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote