daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 15th, 2016, 01:07 AM   #621
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

The road in front of the entrance to Shinjuku doesn't have half its width blocked off!!

Will they add any green space or other street decoration?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #622
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
...and a new exterior livery in "Yokohama navy blue" color.
A positive development- for once, solid primary colors and no white!

Quote:
Will they add any green space or other street decoration?
Granted I haven't seen the master plan, but I doubt landscaping will be done here, as 1. It's a high traffic area where people wouldn't notice nor appreciate it, and 2. Any patch of green will become a trash can for cigarette butts, conbini detritus, and PET bottles.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2016, 07:45 PM   #623
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Last week, Sagami Railway presented the first 9000 series EMU completely refurbished. This involve new interiors, including leather seat covers on the transverse seating bays, interior lighting that can be adjusted to suit day and night conditions, and a new exterior livery in "Yokohama navy blue" color.

Sotetsu will celebrate its 100 years in December 2017. By 2018 is planned to be completed the JR - Sotetsu link, and by spring 2019 the Sotetsu - Tokyu link.
Do we know yet what Sotetsu will be doing for trains once they are connected to Tokyu and JR? Will all of their equipment already be compatible, do they need to order new trains, etc?
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:14 AM   #624
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Do we know yet what Sotetsu will be doing for trains once they are connected to Tokyu and JR? Will all of their equipment already be compatible, do they need to order new trains, etc?
The Sotetsu 10000 and 11000 series are based on the JR-E 231 and 233 series, respectively, so there is already built-in compatibility. As for the other, Hitachi-built models in Sotetsu's roster, I don't know. If door spacing is not an issue, it should be OK, as they just have to install the respective signaling systems used on run-through operations. Or they could just keep those on the original main line into Yokohama Station.
Old March 16th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #625
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

The operators will definitely need some training though; the throttle and brake controls on the 8000 series are old school "densha de go" style while JR uses a left hand stick and Tokyu has the T-bar two handed control.

Gonna be interesting to see how those navy blue trains wind up going out to Ikebukuro and beyond...

Sent from mTalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #626
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Keio 5000 Series

Keio Corporation has announced today the new Keio 5000 series, a commuter electric multiple unit train type on order by the private railway operator for entry into service in the Tokyo area from spring 2018. A total of five ten-car trainsets are to be built by J-TREC.

Passenger accommodation will consist of rotating pairs of seats that can be arranged in longitudinal configuration for regular daytime services or in transverse forward-facing configuration for reserved-seat evening commuter services from Shinjuku in Tokyo to Keio Hachioji and Hashimoto. LED lighting will be used in the interiors, and pairs of LCD passenger information screens will be provided both above the doorways and suspended from the ceilings. Free WiFi and AC power sockets will be provided. Space for wheelchairs and pushchairs will be provided in each car.

Source: http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/03/16/380/ / Press release / Wikipedia
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:13 AM   #627
orulz

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Passenger accommodation will consist of rotating pairs of seats that can be arranged in longitudinal configuration for regular daytime services or in transverse forward-facing configuration for reserved-seat evening commuter services from Shinjuku in Tokyo to Keio Hachioji and Hashimoto.
That is absolutely fascinating. I know there are trains with seats that can be flipped forwards or backwards but I have never seen or heard of trains that can be configured between longitudinal and transverse. Has this ever been done before??
orulz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:23 AM   #628
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
That is absolutely fascinating. I know there are trains with seats that can be flipped forwards or backwards but I have never seen or heard of trains that can be configured between longitudinal and transverse. Has this ever been done before??
Yes! The Tobu Railway pioneered it with the TJ Liner on the Tojo Line several years ago. The Seibu Railway has also very recently introduced seats like this.

I'm just surprised that Keio was the next one to do this-they've apparently always been the "budget" railway with lower fares and less elaborate equipment (and fewer grade separations-what's the progress on that?).

Sr.Horn liked this post
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:34 AM   #629
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

I was at Chofu and I can say quite happily they don't seem so "budget" when it comes to the efforts they did with the undergrounding there as they've done a really good job.

I like Keio as a company. They have very decent fares, good service levels and their stations are improving quite a lot.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #630
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I was at Chofu and I can say quite happily they don't seem so "budget" when it comes to the efforts they did with the undergrounding there as they've done a really good job.

I like Keio as a company. They have very decent fares, good service levels and their stations are improving quite a lot.
I was just saying that they have relatively low fares and fewer on-board amenities compared to other railways in Tokyo. What I really want to know is how they plan to close the innumerable grade crossings on their main line. And if they plan to quad-track at the same time.
Old March 17th, 2016, 10:21 AM   #631
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Yes! The Tobu Railway pioneered it with the TJ Liner on the Tojo Line several years ago. The Seibu Railway has also very recently introduced seats like this.
In the Kanto area, but the national pioneer was Kintetsu, with their L/C cars, starting back in 1996-1997. Kintetsu has many levels of service for non-extra fare trains (from rapid expresses to locals), and many long distance local services, so the versatility of these convertable designs is put to good use.

Sr.Horn liked this post
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #632
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
I was just saying that they have relatively low fares and fewer on-board amenities compared to other railways in Tokyo. What I really want to know is how they plan to close the innumerable grade crossings on their main line. And if they plan to quad-track at the same time.
I just gave the example - they undergrounded Chofu. They're also doing more in the area, see the 19th meeting report here: http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/INET/KONDA...A/40p7a100.pdf .

Also see the following links about the approval of grade separation and removal of 25 level crossings:
http://www.metro.tokyo.jp/INET/OSHIR...2/20o2s100.htm
Old March 19th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #633
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line thru-running expresses to get "F-Liner" designation

As you know, Tokyo Metro's Fukutoshin line has one of the most complicated thru-running schedules in the metropolis since it ties together the Yokohama Express Railway's Minato-Mirai line, Tokyu's Toyoko Line, Seibu's Yurakucho and Ikebukuro Lines, and Tobu's Tojo line.

Express services from all 5 lines usually line up in a certain way to provide for one of the quickest ways to get into and out of west-central Tokyo, but unless you're a train geek (heh) you probably don't know that the Ltd Express on the Toyoko Line will always run as an Express on the Fukutoshin Line...But the Express on the Toyoko Line will turn into a Local and turn into something else maybe on the Ikebukuro Line. Also what's the deal with the Tojo line not having any thru-serviced express trains at all? Everything winds up being a local train there. Well that all changes on 3/26!

All trains bearing the green "F-Liner" logo will run just like the following services:
  • Tojo Line Express
  • Seibu Yurakucho/Ikebukuro lines Rapid Express
  • Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line Express
  • Tokyu Toyoko Line Limited Express
  • Yokohama Rapid Railway Minato-Mirai Line Limited Express

This also means the Tojo Line will finally get thru express trains again, which used to happen before the Toyoko line connection 3 years ago.

Testing the new headsigns on the Hikarie Liner (Tokyu 4110F) at Moto-Sumiyoshi Yards

Looks like Tobu jumped the gun and added the F-Liner logo to their inbound express from Ogawa Machi the other day!

The F-Liner logo will be used in place of the service designations on those lines in order to make it easier for passengers to know they're on the fastest service to their destination. The service will run during weekday off-peak hours (9am~4:45pm) and all day weekends and holidays every 15 minutes, alternating to/from Hanno or Shinrin Koen to/from Motomachi-Chukagai.

Via Tokyo Metro

Last edited by starrwulfe; March 19th, 2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old March 19th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #634
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Much better. I, admittedly, got a bit confused at one point with the service provision on the Fukutoshin line as it is rather... Confusing! This will make things a lot easier.
Old March 19th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #635
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

The shortest railway line in Tokyo.

Keio Keibajo Line (京王競馬場線)

Extension: 900 meters

This branch line connects Higashi-Fuchu Station (Keio Line) with a station near Tokyo Racecourse (Fuchu-Keiba-Seimom-Mae Station). On weekdays, a 2-car EMU operates only in the branch (yes, these trains runs only 900 meters!). But, on weekends, there are direct services from Keio Shinjuku to Fuchu-Keiba-Seimom-Mae Station.

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BA...A0%B4%E7%B7%9A

Fuchu-Keiba-Seimon-mae Station

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BA...n_20120506.jpg

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%BA...m_20120506.jpg

Last edited by Rodalvesdepaula; March 19th, 2016 at 06:30 PM.
Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #636
dale88

Likes (Received): 9

Hi guys, after going through the topic quickly I didn't really find the answer to a question I had in mind, which is why JR East retires many trainsets so quickly even though they only have 15-20 years of service?

I know in many other countries in europe or america, rolling stocks are expected to last at least double the time for 30-40 years....

In Paris they are phasing out the MS61 (my favorite train) which has been in service for nearly 50 years!

A few possible answers I have in mind could be because JR east also owns train manufacturers so in order to give their subsidiaries more work (and money) they build trains which last less time in order to always have orders....

But their maybe other reasons, so if you guys could give me precisions
dale88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #637
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Someone else will fill in this information better than I can, but to me it seems that JR East retires rolling stock faster on routes where there is heavy use, heavy stop-start use and/or where newer stock offers significant advantages over current stock. They seem to rotate around a lot of stock, and indeed you can see from the Nambu Line stock replacement that you can have some fairly persistent stock for a long time before the replacement comes along, same with the Musashino line. The less used the line, the older the stock, and often the stock from the more heavily used line will be shunted onto them. For the Yamanote line, due to its stop/start nature and massive passenger loads, they often simply don't seem to last as long.

I know someone else will answer this better than me, but that's my impression.
Old March 21st, 2016, 03:36 AM   #638
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

Operations of JR East trains are very, very heavy. For example, Yamanote Line trains carry more passengers than all London Underground lines. Thus, there is enormous wear in a short time.

But, in Kansai and Chugoku (Hiroshima), JR West operates 40-years-old EMU's in some commuter lines.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 06:25 AM   #639
dale88

Likes (Received): 9

Well of course wear due to heavy loads is an issue for the yamanote line as its triple the load of RER A in Paris (1.2 million riders daily) which is europe's most crowded commuter line and believe me during rush hour its the same as tokyo's overcrowded trains but with double decker trains and a train every minute.....

But still the first double deckers introduced on this line (Mi2N introduced in 1997) are older than the E231 of the Yamanote line and no plans to retire them anytime soon...

I would be tempted to say that giving more orders to their manufacturing companies is a big factor for JR east
dale88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 07:37 AM   #640
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

There's also the equipment standardization effect taking place as well. JR East, JR Tokai, and JR West all want to standardize operations, logistics and a big part of that is done by standardizing rail equipment and making running the services cost efficient.

In a nutshell, its easier and quicker to achieve this goal by introducing newer generation rolling stock and wayside controls at the same time in some cases.

Also remember, the E231s on the Yamanote line had a 10-15 year operational life before overhaul. In contrast, the Osaka Loop Line's E103s have been rebuilt every 20 years since 1975. Both lines are getting new stock. Guess they don't build em like that anymore...

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote