daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 26th, 2016, 03:33 PM   #661
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Interesting. I wonder why it was dropped though. Was it because of through-running with Tobu and Tokyu (which can probably be dropped, LOL), or the technology at the time not being up to scratch?
It was never intended to be a full implementation, rather, it was a long term test using two or three train sets. The tests were deemed successful, to the extent that stopping occurred within 20 cm of the designated door locations, and regenerative braking was effectively used. Supposedly it attracted visitors from foreign metro operators who came to observe it in action. The lessons learned were implemented in the Nanboku Line starting in 1991.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #662
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
There's also a grade crossing on the Marunouchi line in the same manner I've heard as well. At any rate, it would take a massive infrastructure upgrading to bring automatic unmanned ops to these lines. But then again the Hibiya line actually can run unmanned (and did so at various times in the 70's)
It appears that the Marunouchi Line at least will have its capacity issues addressed by implementation of CBTC (with moving blocks) by the end of FY2022.
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2016/804.html

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 26th, 2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old March 28th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #663
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

And I presume CBTC will also come with new stock to replace the 02s?

After all, the 01s are already being replaced, and the 02s are just a few years younger...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #664
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Apparently the 02 series is going to be rehabbed. I'm quite surprised, myself.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 06:56 PM   #665
luacstjh98

Are you serious? Its 01 and 03 series siblings are already being shown the door - though the decision to keep the 02s around probably has something to do with the retrofitting of PMSM motors.

Though I wonder why they aren't being replaced with a more future proof design - the Marunouchi does get some pretty high loads as an inner-city line, after all...

Old March 30th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #666
k.k.jetcar

Marunouchi Line will have new rolling stock introduced starting in 2018, with all 53 sets being delivered by 2022. Third rail voltage will be raised to 750v DC. As mentioned earlier, CBTC will also be installed.
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/03/29/512/
Old March 30th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #667
luacstjh98

I'll try to make sense of that article with my elementary Japanese:
  • Replacement of trains on Ginza, Chiyoda, Hibiya and Marunouchi lines are scheduled for completion in 2016, 2017, 2020 and 2022 respectively
  • Through services from Marunouchi line Honancho branch to Ikebukuro are planned to start in 2019
  • Marunouchi line voltage will be increased to 750V, CBTC by 2022
  • Refurbishments of existing Tozai Line stock to be completed by 2021. There's also something else I can't seem to make out (something to do with wide doors)
  • Tozai Line: Improvements to a crossover between Ichigaya and Kudanshita, along with renovation works to Kayabacho, Kiba, and Minami-Sunamachi stations to cope with increasing load.
  • Namboku Line trains to receive visual revamp and lengthened to 8 cars
  • Expansion of Kita-Ayase station to take 10-car trains, longer trains will start serving the station in 2018
  • Ginza Line Shibuya station to receive new platforms as part of overall station renewal
  • Ginza Line terminating crossover at Asakusa station to also be improved, so more trains can run between Ueno and Asakusa in 2020
  • Shimbashi station upgrade to be completed by 2022 (?)
  • A new interchange will be opened between Ningyocho station (Hibiya, Toei Asakusa lines) and Suitengumae station (Hanzomon line). New ticket machines will also be introduced there (?)

Well, I may have gotten things wrong, so please advise.

pudgym29 liked this post
Old March 30th, 2016, 04:10 PM   #668
00Zy99

This explains how I read about them only doing a refurbishment of the Marunouchi Line trains about 2-3 years ago. They were extending the life cycle to 2022.
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:22 AM   #669
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

JR East to add station IDs to all Tokyo area stations starting mid 2016

Quote:

East Japan Railway Co. will begin allocating alphanumeric codes to stations in the Tokyo area in a bid to make it easier for foreign visitors to navigate one of the world’s most complicated network of rail lines, company sources said Wednesday.

Commonly called JR East, the rail operator will start updating station signboards and other displays by the end of this year ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics, the sources said.

JR East will be joining Tokyo Metro Co. and other railway companies in the metropolis that have already introduced such station numbering. Stations under JR Shikoku and those of JR Hokkaido were given letters and numbers in 2006 and 2007, respectively.

Tokyo Metro, which operates nine subway lines, adopted the display system in 2004.

Each line is given a specific color, such as orange for the Ginza Line and red for the Marunouchi Line. The color is then combined with a specific letter signifying the subway line and a number given to each station. For example, Ueno Station on the Ginza Line, is “G16″ inside an orange circle, with “G” signifying the Ginza Line. JR East is expected to use a similar display method.

The display is helpful for foreigners who are not familiar with the Japanese language.

A 31-year-old Swedish woman who works in Tokyo said it is difficult for her to remember the Japanese station names. When her friends visit her from Sweden, she explains the stations by referring to them using the letters and numbers, she said.

via Japan Times

Sent from mTalk

dimlys1994, pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:12 AM   #670
k.k.jetcar

A bit of an aside, but I was in Kansai this past week, and the quantity of English recorded announcements on trains has really increased, to a level of (much) more than Japanese on some services. After a while it gets grating, frankly. OTOH I got on a Kintetsu Nara Line morning rush service inbound to Osaka and it had no English announcements (and no Japanese either, other than the guard announcing the stops in a low voice)- such blessed silence

Last edited by k.k.jetcar; March 31st, 2016 at 06:19 AM.
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:08 AM   #671
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

You are actually not the only person I have heard complain about overannouncement on trains in Japan. A guy who I follow on YouTube who has been in Japan since the 80s frequently laments the amount of announcements on trains. Hopefully they won't start including Mandarin as well as that would mean the announcement would fill the entire gap between stations.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 04:02 PM   #672
00Zy99

They already have, I think, on the Seibu, and it does indeed fill the whole gap between some stations.
Old March 31st, 2016, 07:04 PM   #673
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post

A bit of an aside, but I was in Kansai this past week, and the quantity of English recorded announcements on trains has really increased, to a level of (much) more than Japanese on some services. After a while it gets grating, frankly. OTOH I got on a Kintetsu Nara Line morning rush service inbound to Osaka and it had no English announcements (and no Japanese either, other than the guard announcing the stops in a low voice)- such blessed silence
But on what trains, though? I understand for Keihan and the Hankyu trains that go between Kyoto and Osaka, but I've never heard English announcements on JR West trains in the Osaka area outside of the Haruka limited express and the kaisoku trains that travel to and from Kansai International Airport. I believe that when the 323 Series EMU replaces the aging 103 and 201 series EMU's on the Osaka Loop Line, they will have announcements in both Japanese and English?
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:31 PM   #674
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

A large bus station opens in Shinjuku as of April 4th 2016

Busta Shinjuku バスタ新宿, a new bus/taxi station is opened at the South Exit (Minamiguchi) of Shinjuku Station, where the bus/taxi stands dotted around Shinjuku Train Station are centralized in one site.

One thing you have to be careful of is that some buses depart from the depot as before until the entire relocation is completed (in May). If you are planning to travel from Shinjuku by express bus, be sure and take into account that you might need time to look for your bus stand.

The Busta Shinjuku is a 4-stage building that includes;
4F: Express Bus Terminal
3F: Taxi Terminal, Tourist Info Office, Community bus stand
2F (=First Floor): Entrance, South exit of JR Shinjuku Station
1F(=Ground Floor): Rail tracks

The bus depot for express buses bound for major tourist destinations, such as Mt.Fuji, Kamikochi, Hakone and Izu, are located at West Exit of JR Shinjuku Station, However, the depot is relocated to Basta Shinjuku at South Exit of JR Shinjuku Station
Also, the time table of bus services will be revised from April 4th 2016

more than 1600 buses Arrival and departure in a day

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/midorigf2/e/b1...10bca62cefbb2a

it used to be like this

Last edited by castermaild55; April 3rd, 2016 at 09:51 PM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2016, 09:54 PM   #675
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

Sounds great! Tokyo deserve a great and efficient highway bus terminal!

Keio Highway Terminal and JR Bus Shinjuku Bus Terminal were two shames.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #676
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

JR East will introduce the alphanumeric system on 276 stations in Tokyo area

East Japan Railway announced on April 6th the implementation of the alphanumeric station code system by 2020. Also a three letters code for major stations in Tokyo metropolitan area.

Chinese and Korean will be incorporated in all the station names and signals.

Changes on signals will start next 1st of October.

JT - Tokaido Line
JO - Yokosuka Line
JK - Keihin-Tohoku Line
JH - Yokohama Line
JN - Nambu Line
JI - Tsurumi Line
JY - Yamanote Line
JC - Chuo (Rapid) Line
JB - Chuo-Sobu Line
JU - Utsunomiya Line
JA - Saikyo Line
JJ - Joban Line
JL - Joban Line (Local)
JE - Keiyo Line
JM - Musashino Line
JS - Shonan-Shinjuku Line

TYO- Tokyo
KND- Kanda
AKB - Akihabara
UEN - Ueno
NPR - Nippori
IKB - Ikebukuro
SJK - Shinjuku
SBY - Shibuya
EBS - Ebisu
OSK - Osaki
SGW - Shinagawa
HMC - Hamamatsucho
ABN - Akabane
URW - Urawa
OMY - Omiya
OFN - Ofuna
TTK - Totsuka
YHM - Yokohama
MKG - Musashi-Kosugi
KWS - Kawasaki

More details: http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160402.pdf
Old April 7th, 2016, 09:25 PM   #677
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
AKB - Akihabara
I wonder why they chose that particular combination of letters.

Stanislav., moon993 liked this post
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 05:17 AM   #678
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
I wonder why they chose that particular combination of letters.
Well, it is a convenient abbreviation of the English name Akihabara. Besides, Akihabara is often shortened by the Tokyo locals to Akiba, so....
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #679
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

...bout dang time!

Really hard telling folks to take the Chuo rapid to ochanomizu and change to the Chuo-Sobu Local, then change again at Kinshicho for the Sobu Rapid.

Now I can just say take the "JC" to the "JB" then the "JO"

😸😸😝😝
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #680
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Maybe they should use 3 letters for each line, J + 2 letters.
Less ambiguity and more combinations.

What will be the names for Sobu Line (Rapid) and Ueno-Tokyo Line in a 2 letter nomenclature?
Letters U, T, S, B are already taken.

I guess Sobu Line (Rapid) will be JO as a continuation of Yokosuka Line and Ueno-Tokyo Line will overtake the Tokaido Line's JT. Anyway the number of relevant letter combinations seems pretty limited.

There is a number of other lines that can be considered spurs of main lines...or not

(JC) Ome
(JC) Itsukaichi

(JO) Narita

(JE/JO) Uchibo
(JE/JO) Sotobo
(JE/JO) Togane

(JT) Takasaki
(JT) Mito
(JT) Joetsu
(JT) Ryomo
(JT) Nikko

(JA) Kawagoe
(JA) Sagami

(?) Hachiko

If they are treated as spur lines, station numbering will be hell, if they are treated as separate lines it will be tricky to find relevant letters for them.

Last edited by zidar fr; April 9th, 2016 at 02:42 PM.
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote