daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #761
Heavenly Field

Likes (Received): 90

And might as well add this while I'm at it.

Tokyo Metro announced that as part of track-switching works at Shibuya Station, they will be shutting down sections of the Ginza Line for four days over two weekends in November. The line will be closed from Shibuya to Omotesando and from Aoyama-Itchome to Tameike-Sanno on November 5 and 6 and again on November 19 and 20. Trains will be running every 12 minutes between Omotesando and Aoyama-Itchome and every 3 minutes between Tameike-Sanno and Asakusa during the daytime.

This project of course is part of the general redevelopment of the Shibuya Station area. The present Ginza Line platforms will be moved 130 meters east and closer to the Shibuya Hikarie building. The present track-switching operation will move the tracks south so that Tokyo Metro can free up space for work on new platform construction.

Press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2016/156831.html

Sections that will be closed:

Alternate routes:

And a bird's eye view:

dimlys1994, ko7 liked this post
Heavenly Field no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2016, 01:56 AM   #762
Heavenly Field

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Interesting article about a proposed sightseeing tram between Ikebukuro Station and Sunshine City:
http://toyokeizai.net/articles/-/135204

Might be more interested if they could somehow link it with the Arakawa Line from the get-go… The line is still losing ridership year after year, so an extension could be the shot in the arm it needs.
Checked the Ikebukuro tram proposal, and like you said, building a tram and then NOT connecting it with the Arakawa Line seems dumb. The idea of a sightseeing tram is something more appropriate for places trying to attract people, not Ikebukuro where millions of people come by everyday to begin with. It sounds like they had this idea of a pedestrian space but was afraid of doing nothing beyond it and just had to add something that will make it "stand out."
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:24 AM   #763
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
... Would also need to substantially modify the roadways on the west side of the tracks both horizontally and vertically, but the adjacent properties have a fair amount of setback, so it doesn’t seem impossible.
This is more exacerbated by the approach you'd need from the Yokosuka line because of the pillars holding up the Tokaido Shinkansen above. Also there's very little if any room for an embankment and slope down into Osaki station since the road is very close and there's a road tunnel immediately outside the frame there if my memory serves.

There was talk of elevating/lowering the opposing tracks at the flat junction once so that opposing traffic would never cross each other, but that must have died in the proposal process.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #764
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Field View Post
It's hard to see from an overhead angle, but there's quite a bit of vertical separation as well. I don't think it's prohibitive, but it does further complicate matters.
I'm personally not sure, but the original proposal also involved moving the platforms north towards the junction with the Shinagawa-bound tracks to make space for the ramp...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:57 AM   #765
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Why are they closing from G04 to G06 if the project is just to reconfigure Shibuya?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:00 AM   #766
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

They need a new crossover switch in these areas, and this is also part of total line renovations.

I just translated a bunch of construction notices for just about every station on the Ginza Line.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #767
luacstjh98

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
They need a new crossover switch in these areas, and this is also part of total line renovations.

I just translated a bunch of construction notices for just about every station on the Ginza Line.
Where are they inserting the crossover? If it's between Akasaka-mitsuke and Tameike-sanno, and a shuttle train per track is being run from Omotesando to Aoyama-itchome, surely the shuttle trains could be extended to Akasaka-mitsuke?

But then again there's the Hanzomon Line so it probably wouldn't matter as much...

Old September 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #768
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Latest Tōkyū CMs

Tama Plaza

Futako Tamagawa

Tōkyū will do everything for you, including secure your home, text you to let you know your child is on her way home, deliver your groceries, and supply your electricity…

They’re also targeting visitors from overseas… This one is the English CM, but there are other versions for the other countries (Thai, French, Vietnamese, Mainland China, Taiwan, and Korea) on the same YouTube channel.

dimlys1994, Heavenly Field liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #769
quashlo

Latest Tōkyō Metro CMs

“Safety. Comfort. The Eyes of Tōkyō Metro… Our Combined Strength”

Actress Ishihara Satomi (石原さとみ) was selected as the new face of Tōkyō Metro’s “Find My Tōkyō” ad series. Monzen Nakachō:

Azabu Jūban

They’re also an official partner of the 2020 Summer Olympic Games:

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old September 15th, 2016, 05:03 PM   #770
quashlo

Not sure if this was posted already… Some footage of the arrival of a former 500 series Marunouchi Line train at the Port of Yokohama in July. The trainset returned back home from a 20-year stint in Buenos Aires for restoration and preservation.

Old September 15th, 2016, 05:04 PM   #771
quashlo

A few updates from JR East related to platform doors…

They will begin construction at Yūrakuchō Station to install platform doors for the Keihin–Tōhoku Line starting in October. This is in addition to the other stations on the line where they are already proceeding with work—Akabane, Ueno, Ōimachi, Tsurumi, and Urawa. Completion is scheduled for sometime in FY2018.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/t...160913_t02.pdf

They will also be testing an experimental platform door design that uses lightweight equipment and a simplified system of “frame” doors, structural supports, and guide rails. The new design was developed internally by JR East Mechatronics (JR東日本メカトロニクス) and is intended to offer the same strength as existing conventional designs while substantially simplifying the internal structure of the unit and reducing installation cost and time. The horizontal clearance will also be widened to 2,800 mm in order to accommodate a range of train stopping locations.

The new design will be piloted on the Yokohama Line’s Platform 4 at Machida Station. JR East will install the units before year’s end along one carlength of the platform at the rear end of the platform to confirm they function properly. Subsequently, they will install units along the rest of the platform by March 2017 to allow for a full trial of the technology.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/20160902.pdf

dimlys1994, loefet liked this post
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #772
luacstjh98

I'm not sure how effective the new platform door design would be at enhancing safety, since it just looks like a sliding metal bar is the only thing separating platform and track...

Old September 15th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #773
loefet

Likes (Received): 233

No matter how you look at it, then it's way safer than not having anything at all.

Nice to see development into this area, it really looks like a nice progression compared to the big bulky ones we see today. I'm pretty sure that this is actually enough, since it do what it needs to do, keeping people from falling of the platform, and by having the wider gap then you don't really need the extra equipment for stopping the train in the exact right place every time, but you could do it on any line really.
And seeing that it's cheaper as well, means that more stations could have these installed for the same money, meaning even more safety for everyone.
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #774
luacstjh98

Well, I guess it would actually help to prevent accidents when platforms are crush-loaded, but it won't stop a determined jumper. Especially considering HK uses 1.7m-high PEGs and SG uses 1.5m ones, and these are only 1.1m tall and look pretty easy to climb.

I don't know, perhaps a sheet of plexiglass or something over the frames would assuage my concerns...

Old September 15th, 2016, 10:54 PM   #775
quashlo

The focus should be (and is) on preventing unintentional or malicious falls, not necessarily suicides. The end result in terms of service disruption may be the same in both cases, but the magnitude of investment required to design against each case is different. Effective deterrance—not 100% prevention of suicides—should be the goal in the case of jumpers, as there are other easy ways to kill yourself using the railway system (grade crossings, anyone?).

There was an accident last month at Aoyama Itchōme where a visually-impaired passenger with a guide dog fell off the platform and died after being struck by a train, so there has been renewed public interest in this issue recently.

Here is a news report where you can see this latest prototype and how it functions better…

It is 30% lighter and 50% cheaper, and avoids the need for major structural upgrades to platforms that weren’t designed to support the weight of platform doors. It’s definitely not a “pretty” solution by any means, but considering how many stations JR East has and the lack of large amounts of funding for this type of improvement, this seems like a very attractive alternative.

Sure, you can stick your arm through the door now, but nobody in their right mind will do that. Anybody who is not in their right mind (i.e., a jumper) will want to kill themself, not lose an arm and survive. Once you get past that part, the design isn’t radically different from the current platform door types in use in Japan… It’s just that now someone who is determined to commit suicide has the additional option of trying to climb under underneath the door leaves, as opposed to being restricted to climbing over. The general level of deterrence against suicides, however, seems comparable to the conventional half-height doors already in operation.
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #776
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I wonder will the new Utsunomiya street car line go far enough west to be within very short walking distance of Tobu-Utsunomiya Station. That would certainly make this new streetcar line VERY useful.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #777
Heavenly Field

I wondered the same thing.

From the Japanese forum thread:

Quote:
It's too bad the alignment doesn't quite allow it to also serve Utsunomiya University. And I like how the proposed line map is already extended westwards. I wonder how long it will be until this section is built, because with the downtown area located west of JR Utsunomiya Station, it's probably critical that the LRT provide a direct link into the city core, going at least as far as Tobu Utsunomiya Station.
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the original plan was always to have it go all the way west to at least as far as Tōbu Utsunomiya, but I think they may just be prioritizing the segment east of JR Utsunomiya for now to minimize the cost of the investment... Getting it to the other side of the JR station would probably require some fairly substantial demolition and modification of the station complex and plazas.
Old September 17th, 2016, 12:34 PM   #778
MTR MTR

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
And might as well add this while I'm at it.

Tokyo Metro announced that as part of track-switching works at Shibuya Station, they will be shutting down sections of the Ginza Line for four days over two weekends in November. The line will be closed from Shibuya to Omotesando and from Aoyama-Itchome to Tameike-Sanno on November 5 and 6 and again on November 19 and 20. Trains will be running every 12 minutes between Omotesando and Aoyama-Itchome and every 3 minutes between Tameike-Sanno and Asakusa during the daytime.
Are there any replacement buses?

And are they going to install platform screen doors on the Ginza Line?
After the Keihin Tohoku Line are any other lines going to get PSDs?
MTR MTR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #779
quashlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTR MTR View Post
Are there any replacement buses?
No specific replacement buses… Since this is in central Tōkyō, there are plenty of other rail options (see the diagram in Heavenly Field’s post). The Hanzōmon Line parallels the Ginza Line for almost the entire length of the affected segment.

They will also be offering free tickets to passengers allowing them to use alternative routes, including all Tōkyō Metro and Toei Subway lines, plus selected segments of JR, Tōkyū, Tōbu, Keisei, Odakyū, Keiō, and Tsukuba Express.

Quote:
And are they going to install platform screen doors on the Ginza Line?
Yes.

Quote:
After the Keihin Tohoku Line are any other lines going to get PSDs?
Chūō–Sōbu Local Line will get them at Sendagaya and Shinanomachi as part of station renovations currently underway… These stations will be JR’s closest stations to the main venue for the Olympics.

Beyond that, JR East hasn't really said much… At the moment, the easiest places to add doors would be stations (or if you want to get really specific, platforms) where door positioning is the same—this tends to rule out stations where platforms are shared between limited expresses (usually one door at the very front or end of a car) and regular commuter sets (four doors per car, typically evenly-spaced along each car). While there are few lines that meet this criteria for their entire length due to the complexity of many of JR’s services, there are plenty of individual stations / platforms or shorter route segments where these conditions are met—e.g., Chūō–Sōbu Local Line, Saikyō Line north of Ikebukuro, Jōban Local Line, etc. There are also other issues, like potentially needing to do major structural reinforcement of the platforms, not being able to secure enough horizontal clearance between the doors and obstructions on the platforms, etc.
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #780
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
The focus should be (and is) on preventing unintentional or malicious falls, not necessarily suicides. The end result in terms of service disruption may be the same in both cases, but the magnitude of investment required to design against each case is different.
Very good vonclusion regarding the meaning of PSDs. If it´s about safety, a train-company is always in trouble if accidents occur, so that there is the question if something could have been done to avoid the accident. Imho a cheaper solution for PSD would be the breakthrough for existing stations. We do nothing like that in Germany but I think this is a thing which has a chance to become a big task for the future of metro-systems here.

Not to forget another point. It´s not only the interruption of service, also train-drivers get shocked and the are ill for an average of 40 to 50 days and even more. This has serious effect on the company and some of them are not able to drive anymore.

quashlo liked this post
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote