daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2016, 08:54 AM   #821
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Regarding the current quad-tracking / undergrounding project near Shimo-Kitazawa, the work is mostly underground, so it’s hard to see much from the surface, but Odakyū offered a press-only tour a few months ago. The current timeline has the second pair of tracks debuting in revenue service in March 2018, with up to a year after that to complete the rest of the project elements (station upgrades, etc.). In terms of timetable changes, they are designing around increasing total tph into central Tōkyō during the morning rush hour from 27 tph to 36 tph and also increasing the number of Chiyoda Line through-services from 5 tph to 12 tph.
http://response.jp/article/img/2016/...8/1064889.html

Tunnel construction is largely complete.

New station building being constructed where the tracks used to be.

View from second floor of the new station building.

Rooftop will have solar panels.

Tunnel for slow trains. Work to lay tracks has already been completed on some segments.

Platforms for slow trains (B2) are under construction at Shimo-Kitazawa Station (currently, trains are using the platforms on B3, which will eventually be for fast trains).

East end of Shimo-Kitazawa at surface level. This area will become a station plaza.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #822
quashlo

Yomiuri Shimbun had an interesting photo gallery of some of the construction at Shibuya Station:
http://www.the-japan-news.com/news/article/0003224539

Quote:
Under Shibuya Station in Tokyo, a 7-meter-high water tank with a capacity to hold 4,000 tons of rainwater will protect the redeveloped station from flooding during torrential rain.

A maze of steel scaffolding supports the concrete ceiling of an underground square that has been designed to improve transfers between the many train lines that service Shibuya Station.

On the east side of Shibuya Station, a skyscraper about 230 meters tall will be finished by 2019.

Old September 27th, 2016, 12:23 AM   #823
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Wow. Thank you very much for all of that.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #824
quashlo

JR East and Hitachi trial humanoid robot to help overseas visitors at Tōkyō Station
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/09/27/079/

JR East and Hitachi have agreed to conduct a one month trial program (October 3–28) using a humanoid robot at Tōkyō Station to help foreigners visiting Japan. The robot will be stationed at the JR East Travel Service Center near the Marunouchi North Exit of the station. The Hitachi EMIEW3 robot is capable of speaking in Japanese, English, and Chinese, and will use an attached display screen to show images and videos to customers. The robot will also be able to answer questions about train service and wayfinding, key facilities in the surrounding area, and major tourist spots.

JR East has already tested a similar humanoid robot called “Pepper” developed by SoftBank, including this installation at Utsunomiya Station:

This is the Hitachi model in question, which is currently being trialed in a similar function at Haneda Airport:

Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 28th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #825
quashlo

The Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism formally approved the Utsunomiya LRT project, the first modern new-build LRT system in Japan. Next steps are construction and urban planning approvals, and the city hopes to breakground before April 2017.

Old September 28th, 2016, 08:40 PM   #826
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8834

That is awesome! Good to hear Utsunomiya is going ahead.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:51 AM   #827
quashlo

JR Kamakura Station to get makeover
http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2016/y...160929_y01.pdf

This is a minor renovation to beautify the station, improve wayfinding systems (signage), and implement other changes, primarily to improve service for overseas tourists. New lighting and interior design will be clean and simple, drawing from Kamakura’s rich history of samurai culture. Architect Naitō Hiroshi (内藤廣) provided input on the project’s beautification elements. Completion is scheduled for spring 2017.

Some changes have already taken place as of yesterday (October 1), including relocation of the tourist information center inside the station, opening of a foreign currency exchange, and installation of ATMs accepting foreign cards (MasterCard and Visa).

Existing signage example

Proposed signage example

dimlys1994, Shimanto, pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2016, 11:53 AM   #828
quashlo

Tōkyō Metro to put more security staff on platforms
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...aff-platforms/

Quote:
Tokyo Metro Co. will increase the number of security guards on platforms and improve communication between staff after a blind man recently fell on the tracks and was killed, officials said Tuesday.

But the officials said deploying additional staff is only a stopgap measure until the subway operator fits platform safety doors at all major stations, work that is halfway complete.

The firm plans to increase the number of security guards and have them work longer hours at 38 stations that are known to be used regularly by visually impaired passengers.

It will also ask staff to wear headsets so they can alert each other when disabled passengers are seen heading for the platform.

At present, 45 percent of Tokyo Metro’s 3,300 station staff have an official qualification that recognizes their ability to help people with disabilities. The firm will get all remaining station staff trained up by the end of March 2018.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:00 PM   #829
quashlo

JR East, Tōkyō Metro, Yurikamome, Tōkyō Monorail, TWR, and the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government’s Bureau of Transportation have jointly developed an English map for tourists:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...-map-tourists/

Unfortunately, they completely snubbed Yokohama and Kamakura on this one. Plus, if they can bother putting Nakano Broadway (!?) on there, surely they can put Mt. Takao, Tōkyō Dome, Nikkō, etc. While I know many of these areas are outside of central Tōkyō and may not even be within the prefectural boundaries of Tōkyō, tourists won’t know or care about that… The TMG really needs to take a leadership role and produce regional maps for both native Japanese and visiting tourists and get them installed at all of the stations.

Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:01 PM   #830
quashlo

Designs finalized for next station renovations on Ginza Line
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2016/157091.html

Tōkyō Metro has finalized designs for the planned renovation of Mitsukoshi-mae, Nihombashi, and Kyōbashi Stations on the Ginza Line. Following a design competition held March–July 2014, they have incorporated the submitted ideas and concepts and developed a finalized design for these stations. Work will begin in November at Nihombashi and in January on Kyōbashi, finishing by FY2019. Work at Mitsukoshi-mae is scheduled to begin in FY2020 or later.

Mitsukoshi-mae

Nihombashi

Kyōbashi

Sr.Horn, Svartmetall, dimlys1994, pudgym29 liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2016, 12:03 PM   #831
quashlo

Tōkyō Metro also launched a new website about the Ginza Line and the various improvements underway in preparation for the 90th anniversary of the line next year:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/ginza/

One of the articles is about the old platforms at Omotesandō, which were abandoned when new platforms were built closer to the Chiyoda Line. The old platforms are at the western end of the existing platforms.

Before the existing platforms were built, passengers transferring with the Chiyoda Line had to come up to street level first.

Water fountain

“Cigarette butts this way”. Back then, smoking on the subway was permitted.

The old platforms are still used for equipment storage.

Some old pictures from November 30, 1976:

Old October 2nd, 2016, 06:52 PM   #832
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

The Ginza line renovations look very tasteful indeed, thank you for the info!

I remember at one point they were looking at renovating/rebuilding the oldest section of the line from Ueno to Asakusa. Is this still a thing?
Old October 2nd, 2016, 07:42 PM   #833
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

mmmmmm what I remember (December 2012):

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Ginza Line stations in line for major facelifts
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20121217D1712N05.htm

Quote:
TOKYO (Nikkei)--Tokyo Metro Co. plans to renovate all stations along the Ginza Line, the oldest subway line in Tokyo, pouring in 50 billion yen over the next 10 years.

The platforms, ticket gates and other features at the 19 stations will be updated.

The Ginza Line will mark its 85th anniversary at month's end, and Tokyo Metro plans to respect the facility's history while introducing advanced features befitting a key commuter railway.

The design plan splits the line into five areas, each with a different concept. For example, the stations between Asakusa and Kanda will have an "old town" theme, while those between Shinbashi and Akasaka-mitsuke will highlight business.

(The Nikkei, Dec. 18 morning edition)
Renders from the official Tōkyō Metro press release:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2012/p...zasenconpe.pdf

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...3#post98405773
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:02 PM   #834
quashlo

Yeah, all of the stations on the line are being renovated, but they aren't "rebuilding" anything per se. The renovation program breaks the stations down into five groups, and they are soliciting ideas and concepts from the public through design competitions for each group.

Asakusa ‒ Kanda: Shitamachi area
Mitsukoshi-mae ‒ Kyōbashi: Commercial area
Ginza: Ginza area
Shimbashi ‒ Akasaka Mitsuke: Business area
Aoyama Itchōme ‒ Shibuya: Trendy area

So this latest one is for the commercial area. The design competition for the last group of stations (trendy area) will begin in December:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2016/157086.html

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2016, 09:28 PM   #835
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A shame, I always felt that the Ginza line under Asakusa dori could do with having proper concourses as currently one has to cross the road to go in another direction. I perhaps misread or misunderstood that they would actually lower the tunnels at Inaricho to build a concourse.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:38 AM   #836
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
A shame, I always felt that the Ginza line under Asakusa dori could do with having proper concourses as currently one has to cross the road to go in another direction. I perhaps misread or misunderstood that they would actually lower the tunnels at Inaricho to build a concourse.
1) Some NY stations don't have cross passages, and really, does it matter? At most Tokyo Metro should improve the signage to say that "one direction only, cross road for other direction"

Or there might be, I can't remember.

2) You never know whether such works would damage the integrity of the station structure...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:51 AM   #837
00Zy99

There might also be another structure/subway beneath the station that precludes lowering.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:25 AM   #838
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
1) Some NY stations don't have cross passages, and really, does it matter? At most Tokyo Metro should improve the signage to say that "one direction only, cross road for other direction"

Or there might be, I can't remember.

2) You never know whether such works would damage the integrity of the station structure...
Well, I dunno if you have been to Asakusa dori, but it is definitely a longer cross street - it can sometimes take a while to get from one side to another and yes, it is a bit frustrating. I agree it is problematic to install a concourse, but given how well so many other stations have done in terms of concourses, it's a shame that a few like this are still around.
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:40 PM   #839
zidar fr

Likes (Received): 625

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
JR East, Tōkyō Metro, Yurikamome, Tōkyō Monorail, TWR, and the Tōkyō Metropolitan Government’s Bureau of Transportation have jointly developed an English map for tourists:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201...-map-tourists/
I might have a proposal of my own for an intuitive map

http://www.inat.fr/metro/tokyo/

dimlys1994, loefet, quashlo liked this post
zidar fr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #840
00Zy99

Very nice.

The problem is that it doesn't cover the tourist destinations like Nikko, Hakone, Kawagoe, Tokyo Tower, etc. etc. It needs to be bigger and have more coverage.

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote