daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #841
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
The Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism formally approved the Utsunomiya LRT project, the first modern new-build LRT system in Japan. Next steps are construction and urban planning approvals, and the city hopes to breakground before April 2017.
Are there any confirmed names of LRT stops? And if there are, how are they translated into English?

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #842
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Nothing official yet, only provisional at this stage... Still too early.

dimlys1994 liked this post
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #843
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

I'm a little surprised quashlo didn't report this, from the Kyodo News YouTube channel:

This is a Seibu Railways 20000 Series trainset completely done in special livery celebrating Leiji Matsumoto's Galaxy Express 999 manga series, which will be on this train until March 2019. Indeed, in the video you see Leiji Matsumoto himself being interviewed during the debut of this train on October 8, 2016.

Another YouTube user did a video of the debut ceremony for this special train, including full remarks by Matsumoto-san himself:

I do, wonder, however, how much did it cost to do this special livery on an entire train. Hope Shogakukan, Matsumoto-san's publisher, picked up part of the tab....

dimlys1994, Stanislav. liked this post

Last edited by sacto7654; October 15th, 2016 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Add one more video
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #844
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

It depends.

If it is vinyl, then the cost is quite reasonable.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #845
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

Yokohama Municipal Subway 3000V series

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-872.html

The Yokohama City Transportation Bureau announced recently the acquisition of new train sets for the Blue Line. New series will be the 3000V.

Externally there is not too much difference respect series A, N, R, and S. Inside, new 17'' LCD screens and LED lighting.

Also, the glasses on doors between cars will incorporate the skyline of main sightseeing spots of the city.

First six-car unit will enter in service in spring 2017.

Recently the Blue Line (the second longest subway line in Japan) has Rapid services.

Old October 15th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #846
00Zy99

If this is the second-longest, what's the longest?
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:37 PM   #847
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
Nothing official yet, only provisional at this stage... Still too early.
Thanks, quashlo Anyway, I've drawn Ustunomiya LRT map for urbanrail.net - any corrections are welcomed:
http://www.urbanrail.net/as/jp/utsun...utsunomiya.htm

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 08:54 PM   #848
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
If this is the second-longest, what's the longest?
The Toei Oedo Line which is 300 meters longest
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #849
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
It depends.

If it is vinyl, then the cost is quite reasonable.
I don't know--you're talking repainting eight passenger railroad cars into a green paint then apply those gigantic decals, including that on the sliding doors. Cheap it isn't.
Old October 15th, 2016, 10:02 PM   #850
00Zy99

I think the green is also vinyl. It is supposed to stay through 2019.
Old October 25th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #851
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Apple Pay's support of JR East's Mobile Suica system goes into effect

East Japan Railroad's Suica contactless fare system has had a mobile variant for a long time, called "Mobile Suica". Up until now though, you had to have a made-for-Japan mobile phone to take advantage of it; the underlying technology developed by Sony called Felica is the forerunner of the now widespread, standardized tech known as NFC or Near Field Communications that underpins contactless financial transactions all over the globe now, and as such isn't compatible with phones like the iPhone, which never made a Japan-only variant. (Many Android phones like Samsung's Galaxy line however, have.)

That all changed early last month as Apple released the iPhone 7 and 7+ phones along with a redesigned Apple Watch; these new devices include the Felica chipsets along with their standard NFC chips as well. Apple then made deals with companies like Toyota Financial, JCB, American Express, MUFG Financial Group, and more to make sure their Passbook application would be compatible with their Apple Pay tech, in the same manner as in the USA, and places like Singapore, Canada and more already.

This marks the second time Apple will be partnering with a transport company to support fare payment in the Passbook app. (the first time was with Transport for London's Oyster scheme, but it uses NFC) This is a big deal on many levels because not only will the number one smartphone sold in Japan gain a feature that is on pretty much every other phone sold here (including flipphones!) but the manner the Mobile Suica app will work on an iPhone will also be different from how it operates elsewhere.

On other phones, Mobile Suica is an applet that is tied to the Osaifu-Keitai app. Because of how the app does its security checks, it is tied to both the phone and the SIM card of the user. If the SIM is changed, the app no longer works. Also the virtual Suica card is generated on that phone and is very difficult to transfer to another device. There is no way to take a physical card and store it's information onto the Mobile Suica app either. This means it's impossible to move an already paid for commuter pass into Mobile Suica.

The iPhone version of Mobile Suica eliminates all these hassles because of how the iPhone is made, and how iOS runs with Apple Pay and Passbook.

1. You can register your physical Suica card to the device. This transfers whatever stored fare and commuter passes on the card into the device. The physical card is useless now at this point, but at least you can now use that ¥500 deposit! If youa don't have one it's OK, just generate one in the app.

1a. Yes, you can move your info from the Android and flipphone variants too.

2. You can add value with an Apple Pay or Mobile Suica approved credit or debit card. The addition of Apple pay means support for way more cards now. I'm not sure if international cards are supported, but I'll update.

3. You can have more than one virtual Suica Card loaded in. Many people carry multiples because their jobs give out commuting money, they may need to travel for work, and they keep a private card. Now you can have more than one on the phone too.

The bigger news is probably the fact that this lets the iPhone and Apple Pay work with Japan's largest e-money network as well, since Mobile Suica is compatible with the IC-Card network which the majority of transit companies, stores and even vending machines accept nationwide.

Yep, you can also use Apple Watch Series 2 as well.

News Report on the debut.
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #852
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

I hope there will be an equivalent Android version of that service so that it can reach out to even more riders who choose Samsung, LG, or other mobile companies.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #853
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Odakyu's new Romancecar 70000 Series

Odakyu Electric Railway presented this week the new Romancecar Limited Express to launch by 2018.

Photos: http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/headline/entry-879.html

Asahi

But there is more news. The company launch the refurbishment of the Odakyu 30000 series EXE. The first 4+6-car trainset treated returning to service in March 2017.

Refurbishment will be carried out by Nippon Sharyo, with the design overseen by Noriaki Okabe Architecture Network. It will include the following changes:

Redesigned interiors and seating.
Replacement of Japanese-style squat toilets with Western-style toilets.
Additional luggage racks.
Installation of security cameras in vestibule and passenger saloons.
Fully enclosed traction motors.

Source: http://www.odakyu.jp/program/info/da...9_5668838_.pdf

30000, 50000 and 60000 series footage:

(crosspost)

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by 00Zy99; November 2nd, 2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old October 26th, 2016, 09:01 PM   #854
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
First pictures of the new Tobu 500 Series

The new trains are built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, with exterior and interior styling overseen by Japanese industrial designer Ken Okuyama.

In April 2016, Tobu announced that the trains would be used on through services between Asakusa in Tokyo and Aizu-Tajima in Fukushima Prefecture via the Yagan Railway and Aizu Railway Aizu Line from spring 2017.

Render:

The first images of the new train:

Source: http://ameblo.jp/hamidashi103/entry-12213222375.html

(crosspost)

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by 00Zy99; November 2nd, 2016 at 04:02 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:39 AM   #855
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tokyo Metro's new LCD display destination signage

As part of ongoing renovations to the Hibiya Line, all the LED dot-matrix signs are being replaced with these LCD panels that also flip between Japanese, English, Korean and Simplified Chinese.

I'm not sure if this will be coming to other lines in the system, but since the Ginza Line is also getting major facility renovations, it would likely show up there too.

In addition, the automated station announcements are also being done in English as well!
"The train bound for Kita Senju is arriving. Please stand behind the white line."

It's about time! 
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:16 AM   #856
sacto7654

I wouldn't be surprised that all Kantō region passenger trains have a lot more extensive English announcements in the train and on train platforms as part of the upgrades in preparation for the 2020 Olympics.
Old November 5th, 2016, 03:32 AM   #857
MTR MTR

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that all Kantō region passenger trains have a lot more extensive English announcements in the train and on train platforms as part of the upgrades in preparation for the 2020 Olympics.
Well on my last visit (August) some stations of the Yamanote Line got English announcements.

"The local train bound for Ueno and Tokyo is arriving, please wait behind the yellow line"
And
"Please stand clear of the closing doors!"
MTR MTR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #858
sacto7654

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTR MTR View Post
Well on my last visit (August) some stations of the Yamanote Line got English announcements.

"The local train bound for Ueno and Tokyo is arriving, please wait behind the yellow line"
And
"Please stand clear of the closing doors!"
The first station to get that announcement upgrade was at Tokyo Station--and with good reason: many foreigners use that station due its status as the terminal station for many Shinkansen trains.
Old November 5th, 2016, 09:38 AM   #859
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Tokyo Metro Ginza Line Weekend Shutdown

As I reported before, the Ginza Line is being shut down in sections on the weekends during November.

The sections being closed are between Shibuya and Omotesando stations to do work relating to the new station being built, and between Aoyama 1-Chome station and Tamaike-Sannō stations for track and power work along with upgrades in the Akasaka-Mitsuke station area.

Tokyo Metro has staff on hand to help assist people who were caught off guard by the shutdown (this is at the Shibuya Mark City entrance)

Of course there are plenty of detours available since the Metro network offers multiple ways to transfer in the system.

For example, I can simply take the Hanzomon Line from Shibuya to Omotesando Station, then use the Chiyoda Line to go around the Akasaka-Mitsuke closure.

I also got an alert about the closure on Friday via the Navitime app, Japan's premier mobile navigation app.

It also encouraged "densha mania" people to go and check out the rare destination signage for thr Ginza Line.

And so, that's exactly what I did!

One other thing to note...

JR can't begin construction on their platform realignments at Shibuya station until after the Ginza Line can be relocated to its new station over Meiji-Dori. This will probably mean that they will be using the new station in a very unfinished state until everything comes together just before the Olympics in 2020.

In any case, I'll post more as I get it!

ko7, pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 10:16 AM   #860
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
The first station to get that announcement upgrade was at Tokyo Station--and with good reason: many foreigners use that station due its status as the terminal station for many Shinkansen trains.
For clarity, all major *Shinkansen* stations along with *NEX* and other airport bound train arrivals have been in English for years. None of the zairaisen stations have had it until now, except for rare occasions like during the 2002 World Cup. (Why they took them out is beyond me -- like English speakers will never use Kozukue Station?!)

Other area systems I've noticed are...

Tokyu Toyoko Line (certain stations)
Odakyu Odawara Line (certain stations)
Keio Main Line (Takaosanguchi station)

...and this is all just in the last few months while I've been bouncing around Kanto for work.

pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote