daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #961
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

These trainsets will be built by Tokyu Car?

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2017, 02:25 AM   #962
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

IIRC Tokyu sold their rolling stock business to JR East, who renamed it J-TREC.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.

Rodalvesdepaula liked this post
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 12:15 AM   #963
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

More signs of impending S-TRAIN service is seen at Shinjuku-3chome station:

This is a booth that houses the on-platform vending machines for the limited Express tickets. Of course the shutters are closed so there's not much to see here yet, but here's where you'd be able to pay the limited express fee in case you didn't reserve it beforehand the normal way outside the ticket gates or online.

Only one door per car of the S-TRAIN will open; here's one of the stopping points on the floor so you know where to wait.

I wonder if Tobu will extend the TJ-Liner into the Fukutoshin and Toyoko lines in the same manner someday...

Zaz965, fieldsofdreams, pudgym29 liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #964
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3060

castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #965
Zaz965
Je suis kanonirsss

Likes (Received): 27991

I don't know which line is

dimlys1994, djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #966
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

looks like Yurikamome (Waterfront Line)

Zaz965 liked this post
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 11:38 PM   #967
castermaild55

THE LAST TRAIN and Retirement

Old April 2nd, 2017, 05:15 PM   #968
castermaild55

Saibu railway ;ukiyoe-manner-on-the-train

Old April 7th, 2017, 04:11 AM   #969
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Regarding those Seibu Group posters--I'm actually surprised that Tokyo Metro or Toei Subway didn't do it first (at least for the recent series of public announcement posters).
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:37 PM   #970
Sr.Horn
tι con pastas member

Tokyo Metro:

http://www.metrocf.or.jp/manners/poster.html

Quote:
Since September 1974, we have been putting up etiquette posters and changing them monthly in order to raise awareness about subway etiquette as well as to provide our passengers with the most pleasant subway experience, September 1974.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 06:31 AM   #971
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
True, but not in that unusual style Seibu Railways did--which I thought was very whimsical.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:09 AM   #972
MTR MTR

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
True, but not in that unusual style Seibu Railways did--which I thought was very whimsical.
Actually they have at least a poster in the same style, it's quite effective as it caught my eye.
MTR MTR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:37 PM   #973
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26144

First hydrogen bus from Toyota is now in operation. It is planned that up to 100 new hydrogen buses will enter Tokyo's streets by Olypmics in 2020. Photo by Jack Cao:

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #974
LTA1992

Likes (Received): 56

I like it. HFC vehicles are the cleanest humanity has developed I think. I wish our governments, especially those in the US, were more invested in funding their development for mass use.

But then again, oil keeps the Dollar afloat. Thanks Nixon.
LTA1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #975
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Fuel cell buses... looks like I will have to design a fleet of them and run around relatively flat cities like San Jose or Oakland. But then, how should hilly communities like San Francisco proceed with such efforts when they need high-floored buses? In this case, adaptations may be needed to address the geographical variations of such places...

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Zaz965 liked this post
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #976
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
But then, how should hilly communities like San Francisco proceed with such efforts when they need high-floored buses? In this case, adaptations may be needed to address the geographical variations of such places...
This is what cable cars are for.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #977
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
This is what cable cars are for.
The problem, though: only three cable car lines are left, which means reconstructing them with new technologies can not only be very expensive, but also impractical to use. It's like saying, "we can rebuild the railways now, but we have to modernize it and have to go through the trouble of environmental reviews, resident surveys, etc." Plus, the current cable car network is expensive to maintain, especially some of them are way beyond their useful lifespans.

The next best thing would be developing high-floored buses that can be powered by fuel cells. It's becoming unsurprising to see CNG buses in low-floors, so why limit the imagination? Tokyo has done it with fuel-cell buses on low floors, so what's stopping us from doing it on high-floored coaches?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #978
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Wow, this YT user has dedicated a lot of time and energy taking a compilation video of all Tokyo Metro trains currently in operation (although I believe the Ginza Line Series 01 train has been fully retired from operations)...

The only thing is, all of them are in Japanese... and yet, many of them are understandable like "type of train control", "maximum speed", etc.

Using that video as a guide, which of those trains are up for replacement in the next cycle? And which of those are the best design-wise (interior and exterior)?

Old April 18th, 2017, 05:05 AM   #979
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

as an everyday user (and at times, translator) of the system, I believe after the Hibiya Line's 05 series, the next would probably what I call the "Eidan 1970s Group" which are the 6000, 7000 and 8000 series found on the Chiyoda, Yurakucho, Fukutoshin, and Hanzomon lines.

The 8000s have been updated with LED lighting and LCD screens so they're likely good for another 10-15 years maybe. They can also interline across Tokyu's Den-en-toshi and Tobu's Skytree lines so that's a plus.

The oldest of the 7000 series have been retired to Jakarta whilst the newest have been running as 8 car trains in the Fukutoshin Line or 10 cars on the Yurakucho. However the 10000 series along with Tokyu, Seibu and Tobu trains have taken the urgency to rebuild away.

The Chiyoda Line's 6000 series is a bit stymied since they cannot run on the Joban Line (but are equipped with Odakyu equipment so at times are seen there.) Since all other sets can interline Odakyu-Chiyoda-JR, there might be a reason to upgrade or phase out the 6000 series soon.

My 2’...
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #980
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Question: If I buy a Tokyo Metro open ticket and ride past Shibuya on the Fukutoshin/Toyoko Lines to change to the Hibiya Line at Naka-Meguro, am I cheating on fares?
Since I won't pass a ticket gate at all during this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Technically yes, but since you will be transferring to the Hibiya Line at Nakameguro, it's doable without any fuss.
Yes, yes, you can do this. I've done this, especially when wanting to get to the Baird Nakameguro Taproom from Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, or Shibuya.
(Psst: You can also get away with this on the other side of town by riding past Oshiage to Kita-Senju on the Hanzomon Line. )
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote