daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2006, 08:00 AM   #81
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ Alargule

The daily patronage of the entire Greater Tokyo Railway Network is about 40 million. This number is not the actual number of different individuals that use the network but rather the number of person-times the network was used.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; July 18th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.
The Cebuano Exultor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:06 AM   #82
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Tokyo's Uber-sized Urban Railway Network

Wow! If things go well so that the 2020 "too positive" version of the future map of Greater Tokyo's entire railway network (made by FML) is built-out, this network would be in a completely different league of its own. Not even London's network is as complex and extensive as this. This is the "God" of all urban-rail networks.
Old July 31st, 2006, 10:30 AM   #83
FML

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz
doeas somebody have some old maps of tokyo metro system?? i'm interested how it was built. which lines are the oldest? i can't find old maps
Maps on a 1951 travel guidebook. Scans I stole from this blog (seems closed now).
http://www.makoto.ne.jp/blog/
Not exactly the old maps of the metro network, but here you go;

Streetcar network. Among those 38 lines, only 2 of them survive now, operated as 1 line.
A thin red line within Yamanote Line circle is Eidan (now Tokyo Metro) Ginza Line, the only subway line at the time.

Suburban railways network. It is surprisingly similar to what the network looks like in 2006, unlike the metro/tram network that drastically changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule
I see the Chuo line has been included as well...has any date been set when this maglev-line should be operational?
Nope. As stated in the map, that 2020 version is merely a joke. I'm quite sure many of those plans, if not all, will never come into real. Japanese population is shrinking, after all.
FML no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 11:14 AM   #84
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

@FML - u r the best!! thx for those old maps!!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:33 PM   #85
vtower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Osaka & Nagoya are also huge:

vtower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:05 PM   #86
vtower
BANNED

Central Tokyo:

Old July 31st, 2006, 07:05 PM   #87
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ vtower

Yes, Japan is the master of urban rail transport.

Japan is, probably, the most energy-efficient large country in the world due to these massive, effective and efficient urban railway networks. When you think of it, Japan is like a set of inter-connected urban agglomerations forming one country-wide megalopolis. Japan is able to fit everything that needs to generate the GDP that allows it to be the second largest in the world, in an area smaller than the state of California.

I think, Japan's transportation model is the best option for satisfying the world's future transportation needs (most especially the rising giants India and China).

The U.S./Australian models, on the other hand, are very wasteful and environmentally unsustainable.

Cheers

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; August 1st, 2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:40 AM   #88
Frungy

Likes (Received): 10

I didn't know there were so many new lines planned for 2020... here's the ones I was able to pick out-

Noda Express- completely new line to Chiba prefecture
Hokuso Line to Narita Airport- extension
Yurikamome to Tokyo- extension
JR Freight to Haneda and Sakuragicho- convert freight track to passenger service
Tokyo Metro Meiji Line- new line
Tama Monorail to Machida- extension from Tama Center
JR Keiyo Line to Shinjuku and West- underground extension from Tokyo to points west
Metro Seven/Eight Ring- never heard of this before, I guess under Ring Road 7 and 8?
Kawasaki Subway to Shin Yurigaoka-Kawasaki- new line
Yokohama Subway to Shin Yurigaoka- extension from Azamino
Yokohama Subway to Nakayama and loop- new line
Keikyu Line to Miura- extension from Misakiguchi

Seriously, by 2050 Japan's population will be dropping below 100 million people... is all of this necessary?
Frungy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 07:07 AM   #89
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

@ Frungy

I think FML clarified that the second map is only a "too positive" proposed masterplan. He even pointed out that it is meant only to be a joke since, obviously, the rapidly shrinking Japanese society would not be able to sustain demand which would allow further construction/extension of the already vast/massive network of Greater Tokyo.

By 2050, Japan's population (currently 127 million +) will shrink to 100 million. By this time, there won't be enough demand (person-ridership times) to create a similar demand as today. Even if Japanese would increase their per-capita person/individual-ridership times by a significant percent, the overall total person-ridership times would still be less. This translates to less profitable lines and thus, quite possibly, closure/abandonment or suspension of certain service routes and/or lessening of train frequencies.

Who cares, Tokyo's current urban railway network stumps all others, anyway (where else could you find 136 different/seperate/individual lines--OMFG!). Though it may not have too big a lead over Greater London's, I presume.
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:15 PM   #90
vtower
BANNED

Tokyo seriously lacks the sense of train and station designs. The subways are nothing more than just ordinary subway. I find Tokyo's public transport to be very boring and mediocre.
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:06 PM   #91
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63052

@The Cebuano Exultor
The population of Tokyo isn't declining.

@vtower
The quality is the sheer size an the high frequency, the daily ridership makes it nothing but mediocre. It's a system that's in the first place designed to be used by millions of people on a daily basis and not to have the best design. Without it's urban rail system Tokyo-Yokohama could not have been the most livable city in the world that has a population over 30 million. (Oh, shit it's the only one) . If it wasn't for the system you might not have lived in Tokyo!

Tokyo has the best urban-rail network, period.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 03:07 AM   #92
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

Japan's population is declining, but Greater Tokyo's is not. After a peak around 2015, it will certainly decline as well, but I guess we still can expect a population of about 25 million for 2050.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 07:28 AM   #93
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm130
loool don't you ever get lost in the metro??? It's just crazy !!!
I live in Montreal and my metro plan is like 1/5 the size of Tokyo's. LOL
Are you kidding me, it's more like 1/100 of Tokyo's

And just out of curiosity, why is Japan's population shrinking so much?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:17 AM   #94
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

Lack of new babies.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM   #95
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

And an abundance of elderly people. Just come and visit Amsterdam for a few days; the only people getting out of those tour buses are elderly Japanese...
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:07 PM   #96
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

A Shrinking Japanese Population

It is a sad fact that the Japanese population is declining fast. They are an amazing and civilized (by civilized...I mean their ability to follow rules and regulations--and, for those who have a relativistic mindset, I don't mean to force my own definition of civilized onto you guys...the meaning of civilized I use is of my own understanding as well as my opinion) society. If only most societies were as law abiding as the Japanese people, the world would be a much better/safer place.

If only the Japanese government had the supreme objective of forcing their population to make more babies (i.e. 2-3 babies per male-female couple), this problem could be solved. I think that a country-wide mandate to increase family size to levels that allows a stable (non-declining) population would be more of a future investment that'll prove to be extremely beneficial to their society. The Japanese people should not feel pressured by this mandate because it upholds the prime objective of existence and survival (and by this...I mean societal survival).

But, unfortunately, democratic governments do not have the power to impose forced mandates on the public.

Last edited by The Cebuano Exultor; May 11th, 2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #97
vtower
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan
Tokyo has the best urban-rail network, period.
Very true.
Old August 5th, 2006, 07:24 PM   #98
vtower
BANNED

Old August 6th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #99
vtower
BANNED

Tokyo's Subway Map

Old August 8th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #100
ger

Likes (Received): 1

Somebody knows about this trains in Buenos Aires Subway (local name "Subte"), who has built these trains.

Line B, EX-Eidan Marunouchi Line Series 500

Lines C and D, EX-Nagoya Higashiyama Line Series 1200-250-300

and the last i know was made in japan (toshiba), actualy in use in suburban railways (TBA and Metrovias)

Last edited by ger; August 8th, 2006 at 03:31 AM.
ger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote