daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #981
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
as an everyday user (and at times, translator) of the system, I believe after the Hibiya Line's 05 series, the next would probably what I call the "Eidan 1970s Group" which are the 6000, 7000 and 8000 series found on the Chiyoda, Yurakucho, Fukutoshin, and Hanzomon lines.

The 8000s have been updated with LED lighting and LCD screens so they're likely good for another 10-15 years maybe. They can also interline across Tokyu's Den-en-toshi and Tobu's Skytree lines so that's a plus.

The oldest of the 7000 series have been retired to Jakarta whilst the newest have been running as 8 car trains in the Fukutoshin Line or 10 cars on the Yurakucho. However the 10000 series along with Tokyu, Seibu and Tobu trains have taken the urgency to rebuild away.

The Chiyoda Line's 6000 series is a bit stymied since they cannot run on the Joban Line (but are equipped with Odakyu equipment so at times are seen there.) Since all other sets can interline Odakyu-Chiyoda-JR, there might be a reason to upgrade or phase out the 6000 series soon.

My 2¢...
6000 series cannot run on the Joban Line? That's news to me...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:43 PM   #982
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
6000 series cannot run on the Joban Line? That's news to me...
Hmmm, you're right. They *are* able to run in JR tracks; for some reason they've just been short lining them lately in revenue service and keeping them from going past Ayase... Wonder what that means.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #983
luacstjh98

I remember something about a trial to install Thales CBTC on the Joban Line or something?

Could it be related to this?

Old April 19th, 2017, 03:43 AM   #984
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
Hmmm, you're right. They *are* able to run in JR tracks; for some reason they've just been short lining them lately in revenue service and keeping them from going past Ayase... Wonder what that means.
Probably a computer command issue in which JRE is not sharing Odakyu/Eidan the data beyond Ayase.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 07:43 AM   #985
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
They *are* able to run in JR tracks; for some reason they've just been short lining them lately in revenue service and keeping them from going past Ayase... Wonder what that means.
It could just be that the remaining formations (total retirement by end of FY2017) are restricted to shorter runs- where especially during the AM rush they can fill required slots and get high utilization. CBTC isn't slated to be switched on until 2020, so equipment issues are likely not the cause, and besides by then they will be either running in Jakarta or have been recycled as beer cans.

pudgym29 liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 03:30 AM   #986
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

crosspost:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal

http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=524

Tobu Railway uses new fleet to revamp services
Friday, April 21, 2017

JAPAN’s Tobu Railway introduced a new timetable on April 21 featuring additional limited-express services operated by its 500 series Revaty trains which are entering service at the same time

The new timetable increases the number of limited-express trains between Tokyo, Nikko and Kinugawa by five services on weekdays, and nine at weekends and holidays. An additional eight limited express trains are operating on the Yagan and Aizu lines from Asakusa to Aizu-tajima. New limited express routes are operating between Asakusa and Kasukabe and now extend to the Tobu Urban Park Line in the morning and evening peak periods, while outbound trains are stopping at Sengen-dai for the first time

dimlys1994, saintm liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #987
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

I'm flying to Tokyo this Sunday and was wondering whether there is some kind of website in English which would help me understand how to get from point A to point B in Tokyo with public transport?

First of all I need to figure out the most logical way to travel from Narita airport to the place I'm staying at near Akasaka metro station...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #988
Faiyez

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
I'm flying to Tokyo this Sunday and was wondering whether there is some kind of website in English which would help me understand how to get from point A to point B in Tokyo with public transport?
I recommend https://maps.google.com/

Quote:
First of all I need to figure out the most logical way to travel from Narita airport to the place I'm staying at near Akasaka metro station...
Akasaka, right? Not Asakusa? To which hotel?
Faiyez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 03:34 AM   #989
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

If I were you, I would take the Airport Limousine Bus to Akasaka; it's a real hassle wrangling luggage aboard a regular commuter train around Tokyo (not to mention all the stairs and long walks for transferring trains)

https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bu...a/akasaka.html

You can play on the trains once you've checked in safely 😎✌

Also make sure your phone is updated. Both Google and Apple Maps are perfect here in Japan, so you can use them in transit mode to get the most updated info-- even if there's a delay.

Also make sure you have a SIM card that works here.
I recommend Sakura Mobile

Or simply get the free hotspot app at the very least...
Japan Connected-free Wi-Fi

SamuraiBlue, Sunfuns, fieldsofdreams liked this post

Last edited by starrwulfe; April 26th, 2017 at 03:45 AM.
Old May 7th, 2017, 03:23 AM   #990
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Glaring omission.

Quote:
First of all I need to figure out the most logical way to travel from Narita airport to the place I'm staying at near Akasaka Metro station...
Sunfuns, I am amazed nobody here has yet mentioned Hyperdia. {Yes, yes - I know it has been mentioned numerous times on other forum posts - but since Sunfuns managed to post here, we should mention it here.}
My preliminary search says you should be able to do this for ¥1,220 - if your destination is actually the Akasaka train station.
Otherwise, look up the real address of your hotel, see where are the subway stations nearby, and turn those loose on Hyperdia.
Do not listen to these guys when they tell you to only ride this (expensive - limited express) train with baggage. I've wound up on the Keisei Main Line to NRT a bunch of times with my carry-on crammed with artifacts. The key is getting your bag on the rack over the windows. Once you get to the Airport Terminal train station, there will be a free wheeled cart you can put your bag on to roll into the terminal check-in position.
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 09:16 AM   #991
luacstjh98

Now, you could do that, but do you want to? Without context it would be hard to impose a recommendation on OP. As starrwulfe mentioned, it's not exactly convenient to drag luggage around the regular commuter train service.

It might work for a solo traveler with only a carry on or something, but my family (parents, 3 kids) actually did take the regular commuter trains out of Haneda with bulky checkins. Pretty fun, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The limited express exists to save you some trouble, I don't see why not. At least you only need to worry about getting from Ueno/Tokyo/Shinjuku/Shibuya to your hotel.

Old May 7th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #992
Zack Fair

Likes (Received): 755

Quote:

Take the limited express as mentioned above by luacstjh98.

I used the Tokyo Metro app to get around last summer. It's available for both Apple and Android devices, highly recommended.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/tips/con...one/index.html
Zack Fair no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #993
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Question:

What exactly are the rules for having to have an end-access door. Because Odakyu is adding its underground grade separation at Kita-Shimozawa, and its VSE doesn't have end doors. How would this apply to allowing the Keisei AE to use the proposed Tokyo Station Access to run through to Haneda? How fast could a through limited express be between the two airports?
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 05:27 AM   #994
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Question:

What exactly are the rules for having to have an end-access door. Because Odakyu is adding its underground grade separation at Kita-Shimozawa, and its VSE doesn't have end doors. How would this apply to allowing the Keisei AE to use the proposed Tokyo Station Access to run through to Haneda? How fast could a through limited express be between the two airports?
Presumably the new construction has wider diameter tunnels, which allows safe evacuation of passengers from side doors, thus the requirement is waived.

The target for a journey between the two airports is under an hour, one figure I have seen is 54 minutes. One must also take into consideration competition from the limousine bus services as well as JR East.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 01:00 AM   #995
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

I Shot J.R. (et alia)

It has been five years since I presented my show to the Central Electric Railfans' Association. It was about trains in Tokyo and Yokohama, Japan. I publicized it using the title, "I Shot J. R. (& Keikyu, Keio, Odakyu, et alia)"; which was a twist on the then-recent revival of the 1980s television show "Dallas", and its protagonist | antagonist J. R. Ewing.
This was seemingly a bit too much for Tony Coppoletta, who was the emcee of C.E.R.A. programs in 2012. He publicized it as "Trains of Tokyo and Yokohama". Whatever.
I lost a substantial portion of my audience when the 'closing event' of Chicago Craft Beer Week occurred at the same time on the same evening (Friday) (even though the calendar showed CCBW extending through to Sunday). (If I wasn't scheduled to do this show that night, I would have wanted to attend that 'closing event'.)
But it was a good show. To illustrate that, I have now uploaded all the photographs I showed that night, and included the script in which I described the photographs. Some of these photographs can no longer be replicated. (The grade crossing in Shimo-Kitazawa has been eliminated.)
The file has gone off-line a few times. After an incident at December 2014's C.E.R.A. show, in which we had a delay due to technical problems; I was actually asked if there was something I could show while we were trying to fix it. My answer was 'no', because I didn't have that USB flash drive with me then. [We did fix it.]
We had an internet connection. I remembered uploading this. When I went to the site of the last uploader I had utilized, the file had rinsed off.
So I decided to upload it again just in case we had another technical snag.
The file is 24.23 MB.
My photographs are Creative Commons - Attribution - NonCommercial - ShareAlike BY-NC-SA. Essentially, you can do whatever you wish with them, including making derivative works of them, as long as you do not try to make any money from doing so.
The file is now uploaded at these upload hosts. You need only download from one of them.If requested, the download password is 8124.
The .rar password is "Keikyu_via_Sengakuji" {without the quotes}.

dimlys1994 liked this post
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #996
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Quote:

I would actually recommend Hyperdia. You can have it on your tablet or phone, or you can view it using a computer. www.hyperdia.com

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill

pudgym29 liked this post
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #997
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Sotetsu 20000 Series

Sagami Railway (Sotetsu) announced last monday (5th June) the new Series 20000 EMU. A new commuter train for the future through service with Tokyu when the link will be completed by 2022.

The first train will be introduced in December 2017, replacing a 7000 series set.

The fleet of ten-car 20000 series trainsets will be built by Hitachi at its Kasado Factory in Kudamatsu, Yamaguchi. Externally, the trains will carry the "Yokohama Navy Blue" corporate livery introduced for refurbished 9000 series trains.

Passenger accommodation will consist of longitudinal bench seating with grey moquette seat covers. Each car will include a space for wheelchairs and pushchairs.

Also a new website was launched http://www.sotetsu.co.jp/design-pj/20000/ with a Youtube channel associated. Here the first vídeo showing moments of the construction of the first unit:

Sources:
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2017/06/05/293/
http://www.sotetsu.co.jp/design-pj/20000/
http://www.sotetsu.co.jp/news_release/pdf/170605_01.pdf

dimlys1994, aquaticko, fieldsofdreams liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #998
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Could it be?
Could they be building a commuter train without those dreadful hanging adverts?
Old June 8th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #999
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Could it be?
Could they be building a commuter train without those dreadful hanging adverts?
You mean like what they're doing with the JR East E235 Series? I've read they're going to have far fewer hanging advertising signs than normal because the majority of the ads will be shown on the multiple LCD screens now on the train.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #1000
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
You mean like what they're doing with the JR East E235 Series? I've read they're going to have far fewer hanging advertising signs than normal because the majority of the ads will be shown on the multiple LCD screens now on the train.
I ride an E235 at least 3 times a month now (there are currently 3 sets in service BTW) and one of my complaints is that they just don't totally nix the hanging ads altogether. There are 8 per car that are on either side of the door vestibules.

SamuraiBlue liked this post

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote