daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2017, 02:22 AM   #1021
Rodalvesdepaula
Scooter/motorbike lover

Likes (Received): 40911

I saw it on NHK yesterday.

Rodalvesdepaula no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2017, 10:33 PM   #1022
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63052

2 Pictures of the work going on for the new section and station of the Yamanote Line between Shinagawa Station and Tamachi Station.

e-mansion forum
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #1023
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Toei Asakusa Line 5500 series

First pictures:

Source Twitter user https://twitter.com/hks_nishiteu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post

Toei has announced a new trainset for the Asakusa Line, the 5500 series. The new EMU will enter in service by spring 2018. A total of 27 eight-car trainsets are on order.

dimlys1994, pudgym29, Da18be, Bkmn, Zaz965 and 1 others liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #1024
pudgym29
Monster Raving Loony

Likes (Received): 16

Open ticket inclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacto7654 View Post
I think a huge difference on the Minatomirai line ridership increase was the start of the run-through services using the Tokyu Toyoko Line and the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line in March 2013, which made it very easy for people on the Ikebukuro-Shinjuku-Shibuya corridor to reach central Yokohama through the Minatomirai Line.
Very solid point.
I respectfully offer that its inclusion on a number of Yokohama open tickets, including that of Keikyu's Yokohama 1 Day Ticket (Japanese)(Could Keikyu do a more thorough job of burying the details of this ticket on its W-WW site? ), has also been valuable, especially if your accomodation is in Yokohama. On my last trip to Japan, which ended Tuesday, I used this ticket one day (from Yokohama, ¥840).
pudgym29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #1025
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Keio 5000 series debut

Only regular services until end of FY 2017 that will be implemented the premium service with one of the following names elected in January 2018:

Keio Liner
Keio Smart Liner
Keio Prime Liner
Luxpress
Westar

(http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2017/04/26/247/)

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:47 AM   #1026
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New Tokyu 6020 series

Tokyu Corporation will introduce new trainsets for the Oimachi Line by spring 2018.

The 6020 series trains will share a common design with the Tokyu 2020 series ten-car EMU trains due to be introduced on the Tokyu Den-en-toshi Line in spring 2018. (see #960)

The two seven-car 6020 series trains on order are scheduled to be used on express services on the Tokyu Oimachi Line alongside the existing fleet of six Tokyu 6000 series, which are scheduled to be lengthened from six to seven cars by the start of the revised timetable in March 2018.

Source: http://www.tokyu.co.jp/image/news/pdf/171012-21.pdf

Bkmn, Munwon, dimlys1994, starrwulfe, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 1st, 2017, 04:38 PM   #1027
Astaire007

Likes (Received): 610

JR Shibuya Station Saikyo Line New Platform Construction

Old November 4th, 2017, 09:02 PM   #1028
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Here are some of my own pictures I took while waiting for the train to Big Sight on Friday. I’ve been meaning to post some updates but so busy.

Momo1435, Sr.Horn, Munwon, Zaz965, DanielFA liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #1029
Rainbow_DASH
♡~Friendship is Magic~♡

Likes (Received): 782

Saw this recently and I'm fascinated at how Japan's anachronistic approach to technology is also present in its railway signalling system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoXD9z03ZWs

Zaz965, Swede, Kasukabe, GlauberVaz liked this post
Rainbow_DASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #1030
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Is that a fax machine I spy?

GlauberVaz liked this post
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:11 AM   #1031
Faiyez

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
Is that a fax machine I spy?
This is Japan, so yes.

Sopomon, GlauberVaz, DanielFA liked this post
Faiyez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:24 AM   #1032
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Bane of my existence over here. The great train services make up for it though

Sopomon liked this post
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #1033
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Is it known what kind of CBTC system the Marunouchi line is getting?

After watching that video, I get the impression that it would be really funny watching the Japanese learn Alstom Urbalis or something...

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #1034
Astaire007

Likes (Received): 610

Tokyo Metro Ginza Line Shibuya Station Relocation Construction

Old November 6th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #1035
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_DASH View Post
Saw this recently and I'm fascinated at how Japan's anachronistic approach to technology is also present in its railway signalling system
Thing is, we mock it as being old, but if it works better than the computerised system then so be it. It's not like they don't have the ability or technology to install something else, it's that they find their approach to be better.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #1036
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Thing is, we mock it as being old, but if it works better than the computerised system then so be it. It's not like they don't have the ability or technology to install something else, it's that they find their approach to be better.
No it's really just a case of Japanese exceptionalism (only our way works, we dont need new tech) and a hangover from the boom era.
Every day I come across cases similar to this where sure, it ain't broke, but it's hideously inefficient and uses up vital man-hours in a country with a extremely low unemployment rate and a dangerous culture of overwork.

(Plus how many meetings, reports and presentations do you think Keikyuu management would have to go through to accomplish a digitalisation project like that? Keep in mind the proclivity to have meetings about announcements about meetings etc etc etc)
Sopomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:43 AM   #1037
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_DASH View Post
It's actually more robust and flexible then a computerized system on such a busy line where there is only 2 minutes head ways going either direction with 130% ridership.
At any time when a train is delayed by all kind of reasons like an object that had fallen on the rail and personnel is needed to retrieve it to a sick person requiring assistance, a fight on the platform between customers,etc,etc.
With a computerized system it takes more then several minutes to restore normal operation while a manual switching system only takes seconds.
The down side is miss operation of flipping the switch that may result in a major accident but I believe there are various fail safe systems to prevent that from happening.

In other words which would you prefer having 10+ minutes delays every other day during commute or delays that you hardly notice?

DanielFA liked this post
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #1038
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8823

Quote:
No it's really just a case of Japanese exceptionalism (only our way works, we dont need new tech) and a hangover from the boom era.
Every day I come across cases similar to this where sure, it ain't broke, but it's hideously inefficient and uses up vital man-hours in a country with a extremely low unemployment rate and a dangerous culture of overwork.

(Plus how many meetings, reports and presentations do you think Keikyuu management would have to go through to accomplish a digitalisation project like that? Keep in mind the proclivity to have meetings about announcements about meetings etc etc etc)
Well, the Swedes are the opposite and they try to automate everything and remove people from every equation. Yet they have some of the latest trains in Europe and also dangerous mistakes such as trains taking the wrong line and ending up in the wrong city even!

To be honest, I'd rather have a manpower heavy system if it yields better results. I am not a fan for modernisation for modernisations sake. You can probably fault the Japanese on a few areas but in terms of railways, I have never taken better systems especially given how much other countries are plagued with terrible operational procedure and frequent signal failures.

PS: Sweden even has the same meeting culture too so much so that even the portal to Sweden has a section on it!

Last edited by Svartmetall; November 7th, 2017 at 12:43 PM.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 02:46 PM   #1039
Rainbow_DASH
♡~Friendship is Magic~♡

Likes (Received): 782

Quote:

In Keikyu railways' case tho, I think it's more about the sheer financial cost of not only replacing the entire system, but also staff retraining and the inevitable delays caused by few bugs and kinks that needed to be ironed out. All that for probably something that may or may not be that much more efficient than current signalling system.

Also, even tho they have pretty lucrative lines, I don't think they have the financial muscle of, say, JR east, so they may have to be more conservative with their budgets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoXD9z03ZWs

Last edited by Rainbow_DASH; November 7th, 2017 at 03:01 PM.
Rainbow_DASH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #1040
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 289

Isn't JR installing Thales signaling on the Joban Line? I wonder how Joban Line operators are going to deal with that?

I know this is Keikyu, but really, I don't see Japan being able to have such a manpower-intensive culture in the long term.

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chiba monorail, jr east, keio, keisei, metro, odakyu, seibu, tama monorail, tobu, toei subway, tokyo, tokyo metro, tokyu, yamanote