daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2016, 10:11 AM   #81
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

You can see a bit of a Hong Kong MTRC carbody in the background of the first picture.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #82
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

From inside:

http://tetsudo-shimbun.com/article/topic/entry-755.html

Svartmetall, Kot Bazilio liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #83
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

I have to say, all the orange on the bodywork looks horrid. I get the "Osaka Loop Line" design, but I'd honestly prefer a more simple and understated design to not look like a sore thumb next to the 221s and 223s.

And do the 3 doors per side have anything to do with adding PEGs to the Loop Line stations?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 02:50 PM   #84
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8783

I actually like the Osaka loop trains, except one factor - three doors per carriage. I would have preferred four.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:05 PM   #85
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

The three door decision is in order to allow platform gates in all type of trains that runs through the Loop Line but mainly in other lines.

Due the type of mobility in Osaka, JR West prefers 3-door trains

zntfdr liked this post
Old July 1st, 2016, 10:56 PM   #86
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

By the way, YouTube member ayokoi just posted a video of the 323 Series EMU trainset LS01 doing running tests on the JR West Kosei Line east of Kyoto:

dimlys1994 liked this post
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:14 AM   #87
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

Keihan reveals design for new Premium Car reserved-seat cars
http://travel.watch.impress.co.jp/do...s/1018458.html

Keihan Electric Railway has revealed the name and design of the new reserved-seat cars to debut on its limited expresses in the first half of FY2017. Car No. 6 (the sixth car from the Kyōto end) in each of the 8000 series trains currently running in service as limited expresses will be renovated and refurbished to serve as a new Premium Car. The railway is still in the process of finalizing the fare, ticket reservation and purchase method, attendant staffing, and other features of the new service, but the fare surcharge is expected to be ¥500 or less, which is about the cost of a ride on a regular Keihan service between Yodoyabashi and Demachiyanagi.

The design concept is “modern-day elegance” (風流の今様) and incorporates motifs of “natural beauty” (花鳥風月). The new emblem of the service, which will be incorporated into the interior and exterior of the cars, features three stars above the traditional “dove” symbol that is a hallmark of Keihan’s limited expresses. The livery draws from the 8000 series palette of red, yellow, and gold, with a heavy emphasis on the red (Keihan’s traditional limited express color). However, the doors will stand out in bold color-block gold, and the cars will be redesigned with a single door on each side—a first for Keihan—to enhance the intimate feeling of the interior.

The car’s interior will feature a two-tone color scheme of lacquer black and sand, with gold accents. Seat pitch will be increased from to 1,020 mm, cushion width increased to 460 mm, and the height of the seat back will be raised to 770 mm. Seating will be in 2+1 configuration and the car floor will be carpeted. Each seat will feature a large table and power outlets. In order to carry out the renovation, a portion of 8000 series trains will have their No. 6 cars removed from service starting September 24, with the trains continuing to operate in service as 7-car sets.

quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 08:16 AM   #88
quashlo

New footbridge and bus terminal to open at South Exit of Ōsaka Station on October 1
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/09/13/445/

JR West will shortly complete work on constructing a new footbridge and bus terminal at the South Exit station plaza of Ōsaka Station, and will open the new facilities on October 1.

The new 70 m long, 5 m wide footbridge will be dubbed the “Skywalk” and will connect the second floor of the station’s South Gate Building (サウスゲートビル) with existing pedestrian bridges to the east (the 梅田新歩道橋). The Skywalk will provide a new east–west connection into the existing network of north–south bridges, improving pedestrian connections and segregating motorized and foot traffic.

The new bus terminal was created by segregating taxis from the existing South Exit station plaza at this location and moving them to a separate taxi pool on the west side of the South Exit, leaving the east side exclusively for buses. Some bus stops that are currently in scattered curbside locations around the station will be consolidated into the new terminal, improving safety and convenience for passengers and traffic conflicts near the entrance to the plaza.

Old September 14th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #89
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Now, if they could improve the single stairway connection (with the closed Kusikatsu stand adjacent) from the B1 underground portion around Hanshin Umeda/Umeda Whity to the South Exit- it gets a tremendous amount of foot traffic (the stairs are noticeably worn/swaybacked from all the footfall) and even then, you have to cross the bus roadway aboveground to access the station Maybe they are working on it, I dunno.

Svartmetall liked this post
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2016, 08:28 PM   #90
quashlo

Privatization of Ōsaka Municipal Subway puts proposed Imazatosuji Line to the test
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/osaka/news/...YO1T50000.html

The fate of the proposed Imazatosuji Line through eastern Ōsaka City came to the forefront in the September 16 session of the Ōsaka City Council. Liberal Democratic Party (LDP) councilmembers requested establishment of a fund to help build the extension as a prerequisite to lending their support toward privatization of the Ōsaka Municipal Subway, but there is still strong hesitation towards the idea of extending a line that continues to lose money.

According to the city’s Transportation Bureau, crowding on the Imazatosuji Line during the morning rush hour is only about half that of the Midōsuji Line, which can reach about 150% of capacity. The 11.9 km line between Itakano (井高野) and Imazato (今里) is the newest in the Ōsaka Municipal Subway, opening in December 2006. The city had planned to break ground on the remaining 6.7 km portion between Imazato and Yuzato (湯里) 6-chōme in Higashi-Sumiyoshi Ward before April 2007.

In 2005, however, then-mayor Seki shelved the extension, citing budgetary concerns. Even after opening, the line struggled with ridership, reaching less than 60% of the original estimate of 120,000 average daily passengers. The line recorded an operating loss of ¥4.2 billion for FY2015.

The estimated cost for the extension is about ¥130 billion, but elected councilmembers representing districts along the line continue to voice strong support for the extension, leading to a unanimous resolution in 2010 calling for speedy implementation of the project.

Major Hashimoto, who was elected in 2011, was not supportive of the project, however, emphasizing that the decision on whether or not to move forward with the extension should be made after privatization, at the discretion of the subway operator. In 2014, a special committee assembled by the city concluded that the extension would not recoup its costs and would be extremely difficult to realize, regardless of whether or not the subway is privatized.

Discussion regarding the project eventually died down, but has suddenly resurfaced after LDP councilmembers changed their position on the project. While they were always generally supportive of privatizing the subway, their response to Mayor Hashimoto’s specific plan for privatization was lukewarm. In late August, however, they expressed their intent to support the plan, on condition of 12 specific requests, one of which was the establishment of a ¥50 billion fund to help build the extension.

But there is strong hesitation regarding establishment of the fund, which would likely require substantial public expense. In deliberations between now-Mayor Yoshimura and Ōsaka Restoration Party (大阪維新の会) councilmembers, the councilmembers were less than supportive of the idea, saying they could not approve of the fund without knowing where the money would come from. City administrators also expressed their dissatisfaction, saying that privatization was not supposed to be a burden on the city’s finances.

An alternative proposal involving bus rapid transit (BRT) has surfaced, which would construct an exclusive bus right-of-way along the proposed extension alignment and operate high-capacity articulated buses at 1/50th the cost of a subway. The LDP has conditioned its support on a BRT trial, but there are concerns that a BRT solution will not help reduce traffic congestion and will not have sufficient capacity.

Old September 17th, 2016, 08:29 PM   #91
quashlo

Overseas visitors boosting Nankai Airport Line ridership
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/local/osaka...YTNT50385.html

Ridership on the Nankai Airport Line has been showing strong growth thanks to inbound tourists arriving at Kansai International Airport. But with many airport passengers choosing to bring their luggage onto regular trains, the boom in ridership has resulted in crowded trains, sparking complaints about blocked aisles and other concerns among regular Nankai commuters. As a result, the railway is devising countermeasures such as encouraging visitors to take limited express trains.

The line’s ridership reached a historic-high of 12.08 million in FY2015, about 1.6 times the 7.24 million in FY2011 thanks to a robust LCC market and increased visitors from abroad.

Many visiting tourists choose express trains, which are also used by commuters at intermediate stations between KIX and Namba during rush hour. As a result, some regular passengers have complained about crowding and other problems, such as not having sufficient space to stand or not being able to sit because visitors place their luggage on seats.

In light of the situation, Nankai has begun efforts to encourage airport passengers to shift to the railway’s Rapi:t limited express services. Starting in 2014, Nankai began offering a discounted day pass (valid on the Rapi:t and the Ōsaka Municipal Subway) to visitors from abroad, available for purchase online.

Ridership on the Airport Line has grown steadily, and Nankai has now initiated strategies to reduce crowding inside Rapi:t trains. Currently, the trains offer both regular seating (an additional ¥510 above the distance-based fare) and “super” seating (an additional ¥720 above the distance-based fare), but starting in August, Nankai is now allowing regular passengers with commuter passes valid for regular seating to upgrade to “super” seating for free, providing an alternative to sharing regular seating with overseas visitors and other airport passengers.

Crowding at ticket windows at Kansai Airport Station has also been an issue. Lines have grown long as a result of visitors from abroad requesting directions to major sightseeing spots and other advice, sparking complaints from regular passengers in a rush. As a result, Nankai opened a new ticket window specifically for tourists in April, with staff fluent in English, Chinese, and Korean.

Really happy to see KIX and Nankai doing well… This is a good problem to have.

Recent Nankai CMs, starring Tahara Toshihiko (田原俊彦), a famous singer:

At Kansai Airport

At Mt. Kōya

They even have a foreign-language YouTube channel now (seems like this has caught on among most of the major private railways in the past couple of years!). I don’t remember the ticket counter looking like this... Things have changed.

dimlys1994, Svartmetall liked this post
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:04 PM   #92
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Just läst month I was one of those annoying tourists with luggage on the regular trains I am afraid. They were just so much cheaper than the rapid service. Thankfully when I caught the train it was not so busy as it was later at night
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #93
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Little OT: The fact is, the boost of LC flights transformed Kansai area in a Theme Park. This was my sensation this week in Kyoto.

I noted bad manners from many passengers on the Haruka service.
Old September 18th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #94
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Little OT: The fact is, the boost of LC flights transformed Kansai area in a Theme Park. This was my sensation this week in Kyoto.

I noted bad manners from many passengers on the Haruka service.
The biggest problem for me were the Chinese tour groups in Kyoto... It was pretty bad indeed.
Old September 18th, 2016, 07:27 AM   #95
quashlo

Maybe they just need to blanket Kansai Airport Station with multi-lingual ads and announcements about passenger etiquette… I don’t know how else to encourage better behavior since visitors are coming from countries that won’t have the same perceptions about what is and isn’t acceptable behavior inside a train. These are unwritten rules that most regular passengers will understand and abide by, so it’s probably unreasonable to expect visitors to know and follow them, even if they seem like common sense (e.g., not blocking the aisles with luggage).

It always amazes me that parents have their kids take off their shoes when standing on the seats—most parents here couldn’t care less, and many passengers here have no qualms about putting their shoes on seats that other people will be sitting in. But even within Japan, there are some older folks who think nothing of cutting in front of a queue to board a train… I think they just grew up in a different time.
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #96
quashlo

The first trains in the second batch of Nankai 8300 series sets entered service on 2016.09.12. Not much difference from the first batch on the outside, but on the inside, they reduced the number of seats to provide more space for luggage, perhaps a response to the growth in airport passengers.

8702F and 8302F in revenue service in 4+2 formation as an airport express:

dimlys1994, Sr.Horn liked this post
Old September 19th, 2016, 08:03 AM   #97
quashlo

On a related note, somebody tweeted this recently. Must say I would probably be a bit frustrated if I had to constantly deal with this during my commute:
https://twitter.com/yoshi_data/statu...34059904503809

Old September 19th, 2016, 08:13 AM   #98
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

That looks more like a luggage car with passengers onboard than a commuter railway car

I personally prefer the Keikyu approach, where there's only one stop between Shinagawa and Haneda, which is meant for airport passengers to transfer to/from Yokohama-bound services. If you want to take that train as a daily commuter, unless you work at the airport, then you've got to suck thumb and deal with it, or just wait for the next one?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #99
quashlo

Well, I doubt all the cars look like that... Usually, airport passengers tend to congregate in the cars that are closest to vertical circulation, as few people want to bother hauling their luggage very far. I think for foreigners who don't understasnd Japanese, there's also probably some sense of "safety in numbers"... If they see other people with luggage getting off, then they know they've probably reached the airport or Namba.

During the midday at least, you probably don't have much of an option under the current timetable... All of the fast trains on the Nankai Main Line are to / from the airport, and you generally wouldn't want to pay extra to take a limited express (Rapi:t or Southern) or give up and take a much slower all-stop.

Perhaps it's time they start thinking about increasing the length of the airport expresses from 6 cars to 8 cars... I believe they only run 8 cars during the rush hours currently.
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:05 AM   #100
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 283

quashlo, I wonder does JR West have the same problem with the limited-stop trains from KIX to Tennoji and Osaka Stations? Remember, currently the Haruka airport limited express does NOT stop at Osaka Station, and that can be a problem if your hotel is close to Osaka Station and you have to ride a more "regular" train to get to Osaka Station. Hopefully, with the new platform for the Haruka train at Osaka Station, we don't have to deal with this issue anymore.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote