daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:22 AM   #21
jamesinclair

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavy
There're so many Chinese characters,I can easily understand 70% .
The english names also help. :P
jamesinclair no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:36 PM   #22
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Yeah, I thought they looked like Chinese characters. Haha I cant understand 70% though, for me it's more like 2% but that's because I've only taken a very basic Chinese course.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #23
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Maglev would finally replace BOTH High-speed and Low-speed Railways when the building cost has been reached into a cost-effective level.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #24
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10706

NAGOYA METROPOLITAN AREA (TOKAI) | Public Transport

This thread is dedicated to the urban transport systems of the Greater Nagoya area and the Tokai area in general.

Transportation overview
Like Tokyo and Osaka the urban transport system in Nagoya is highly developed, however greater Nagoya is not as dense and as a result automobile usage is higher. However Nagoya still has an extensive urban rail system with 3 million passengers daily (comparable to London) and an extensive bus system (though mostly used as a feeder system to train stations).

Rail Statistics
Greater Nagoya rail usage: 3 million passengers daily; 1.1 billion yearly
Nagoya Subway alone: 1.17 million daily; 427 million yearly. Represents 39% of total rail ridership.

Map of the greater Nagoya rail system:

Full size can be viewed here: http://i566.photobucket.com/albums/s...o.jpg~original (click the image for full size).

Approximate "central" Nagoya rail system:

Maps made by FML http://www.mukiryoku.com/railmap_e.html

Last edited by ukiyo; April 15th, 2014 at 01:47 PM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #25
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3763

And all rail is heavy in Tokai metro are right ? No Light Rail ?
Klausenburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:09 AM   #26
ukiyo

Well there is this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyohashi_Railroad

Also Nagoya is considering to add light rail to the city center
自動車中心の道路をにぎわいや憩いのある空間へと変えようと、名古屋市は17日、「なごや交通まちづくりプラン」の素案を発表した。次世代型路面電車(LRT)の導入を検討することなどが柱で、今後、市民の意見を募り、来年度にプランを策定する。

プランは「なごや新交通戦略推進プラン」(2011~20年度)の施策を実現するための計画。「道路」「自動車」「自動車以外の移動手段」と分野別、地域別に整理し、このうち自動車以外の移動手段では、名古屋駅~栄地区間など都心部でLRTやバス高速輸送システム(BRT)などの新しい交通システムの導入を検討するとした。移動手段の多様化で公共交通の利便性を高める狙いがある。 etc
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nagoya_ac/20130918/1379506758

The city wants to change some very automobile centric roads and make them more "open", for example from Nagoya station to Sakae district.

Svartmetall, Klausenburg liked this post
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:23 AM   #27
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

Having spent some time in Nagoya - having light rail on those streets and reducing some of the auto-centric influence could only be a good thing
Old April 17th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #28
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Indeed. It currently looks to be one of the more unfriendly cities in Japan for public transport. I much prefer the urban layout of the other big cities by comparison. That said, it still has reasonable rail use and good system. Those wide avenues are prime candidates for light rail, though.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:02 PM   #29
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

As ukiyo mentioned the Tokai region is very auto-centric, it has the highest rate of car ownership in Japan (ahead of Tokyo). No surprise, it is the center of the automobile industry (as well as the Japanese aerospace industry). On travels in northern Mie prefecture (geographically if not linguistically part of the region), I noticed many single family homes with parking spaces for three automobiles, and small apartment complexes with generous parking lots (indeed larger in area than the building itself), with enough space for every tenant's automobile.

That said, it's an interesting region for transit and rail. Meitetsu especially merits attention. Unusual among private railway operators as its central station is a run-through type rather a terminal layout- with multiple destinations served by trains squeezed through a two-track, four platform space.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:47 PM   #30
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Yeah I noticed even going through the area on the Shinkansen that it was markedly more "roady" than the rest of the area. Though we should put this into context rather. Nagoya still seems less road-centric than a good number of cities and metropolitan areas that I can see. Heck, even Seoul seems to have a greater abundance of large motorways/expressways and very, very wide arterial roads.

Isn't Meitetsu the fourth largest network by route length for the private railways in Japan now?

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 17th, 2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:58 PM   #31
ukiyo

Yes I think that is true. If you look at it just by region though only Tobu in Kanto has a larger network.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #32
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Isn't Meitetsu the fourth largest network by route length for the private railways in Japan now?
It's actually third (at 444.2 km), after Tobu (463.3km), and leader Kintetsu (508.1km). Prior to 2005, it was second.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #33
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Seoul seems to have a greater abundance of large motorways/expressways and very, very wide arterial roads.
I've read the latter are to accommodate movements of armored forces and other logistical needs, given Seoul's proximity to the DMZ.
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:16 PM   #34
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
I've read the latter are to accommodate movements of armored forces and other logistical needs, given Seoul's proximity to the DMZ.
Really? It seems to be a common picture across the region, though. If you look at other Korean cities they appear to have incredibly wide roads - look at here for example. This is in Gwangju - hardly a city as large, yet it boasts arterial roads that are 15 lanes wide! It also seems to be what happened in Chinese cities like Beijing too, or in Singapore. Very wide arterials and a rather substantive expressway/motorway network. By comparison Japan, even in the more autocentric areas, is not quite as roady even if car ownership is higher. The modal split and provision of railways, thankfully, still seems to be quite healthy even around Nagoya, and that is something to be thankful for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
It's actually third (at 444.2 km), after Tobu (463.3km), and leader Kintetsu (508.1km). Prior to 2005, it was second.
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure where it stood at present. Just goes to show that a private railway with an extensive network can still operate in Nagoya (I won't count Kintetsu as they seem to be more in the Osaka Metro region than in Nagoya so they have a lot of cross-metro border travel).

Last edited by Svartmetall; April 17th, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:23 PM   #35
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Taken from Japan transport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Electrification of the Taketoyo Line

In 2010 JR Central announces the electrification of the Taketoyo Line (South of Aichi Prefecture), 19,3 km in total.

The "electric" service with 313 series will start on March 1 with the direct service to Nagoya.

http://railf.jp/news/2015/01/10/195500.html

Test run (Jan 10):

Cab view on spring 2014 with the catenary installed:

geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #36
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

I don't understand the necessity of creating multiple threads for each city. Tokyo, Nagoya, Fukuoka, Osaka... Especially when SSC is not full of japanese people to contribute with information. I mean, information "Quashlo Style", the best contributor for the original Japan Urban Transportation thread.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #37
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

The reason for this is search engine indexing. Jan himself wants this system ideally so that it makes it easier for people to find results. Though more tedious for contributors, it is something that is desirable for the site. If it is at all possible, cross-posting would be appreciated. If not, then people like Dimlys can cross-post for the contributor.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #38
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Really? It seems to be a common picture across the region, though. If you look at other Korean cities they appear to have incredibly wide roads - look at here for example. This is in Gwangju - hardly a city as large, yet it boasts arterial roads that are 15 lanes wide! It also seems to be what happened in Chinese cities like Beijing too, or in Singapore. Very wide arterials and a rather substantive expressway/motorway network. By comparison Japan, even in the more autocentric areas, is not quite as roady even if car ownership is higher. The modal split and provision of railways, thankfully, still seems to be quite healthy even around Nagoya, and that is something to be thankful for!
I remember reading about one freeway in Singapore that can supposedly be converted to a runway just by removing the street lights (not sure how true this is - perhaps a Singaporean forumer can clear it up). I think it was near Changi airport, and meant to be used if war ever broke out. Singapore seems like a really militarised little nation. Their army is just as big as Australia's, though they do have national service whereas we don't.

So maybe that explains the roads in Seoul. Stranger things have happened due to war paranoia.

And sorry if this is going off topic!

Edit: this wiki article says Singapore does use these kinds of freeways, as does Sweden surprisingly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_strip
Old February 1st, 2015, 02:38 PM   #39
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Delivering of new electric loco "Deki 120" for Meitetsu (Nagoya Railroad).

Testing at Fuchu plant:

Kanto area:

Nagoya:

121-122 is 4-axis electric locomotive manufactured by Toshiba in Fuchu plant.

Svartmetall, dimlys1994 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #40
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Taken from Japanese transport thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by castermaild55 View Post
yutory Bus, Nagoya

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
名古屋市, japan, jr central, kintetsu, meitetsu, nagoya, nagoya subway, rail, subway