daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #201
dutchsnookerfan

Likes (Received): 9

I have seen so many museums well i still remember the archealogic museum in Istanbul the belgium war museum in brussel is nice to.
The British museum will be the number 1 i think. But the best memorie i have about a museum is a amateur museum in malta.
I dont remember the name but its very special.
Itshows the war they had with the ottomans with real life size dolls and decors like madame tussaud.

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #202
RobertoBancrofth

Likes (Received): 2891

Pinacoteca - São Paulo
MASP - São Paulo
RobertoBancrofth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #203
xinzo

Likes (Received): 17

Without a doubt, The Louvre
xinzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #204
mvictory

Likes (Received): 26

well this is an easy one. The British museum wins hands down.
- Biggest collection of stolen goods in the world
- No lines
- No Entrance fee
mvictory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM   #205
X Bomby
Moon Base

Likes (Received): 1313

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvictory View Post
X Bomby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #206
potiz81

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
- No lines
- No Entrance fee
And it is a touch museum. You can touch any exhibit and nobody cares about it.

Last edited by potiz81; February 19th, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
potiz81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #207
dutchsnookerfan

It takes more then a day to visit it. If you wanna something about what you see.....
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #208
skyman045

Likes (Received): 0

I would say the Museum of science and industry, or the field museum. Both in Chicago.
skyman045 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #209
dutchsnookerfan

Never been outside the usa?
Old February 20th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #210
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2011, 03:16 PM   #211
potiz81

Likes (Received): 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyman045 View Post
I would say the Museum of science and industry, or the field museum. Both in Chicago.
lol
potiz81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #212
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

Huge museums:

Le Louvre - best collection, best building, best urban context, most efficient practically
The Vatican - less practical, but unbeatable for the experience of immersing yourself directly into the Renaissance. The murals also are unique.

Big/medium sized museums:

Tate Modern, London - fantastic building, urban context, collection, curatorship. Just perfect.
The National Museum of Catalunya (MNAC) in Barcelona. Mindblowing position on the Montjuic hill, with Barcelona laying under your feet. Also, the collection of Catalan romanesque murals is unique in the world.
Centre Pompidou, Paris - fantastic architecture and splendid relation to the urban context
National Gallery, London - smaller but absolutely perfect permanent collection. Great curatorship.
Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Rome - ancient Roman art at its best, plus wonderful lighting.
The Museum Of Byzantine Civilization, Thessaloniki - very modern, and I have a soft spot for Byzantine art.
Orsay, Paris - the railway station now art museum, say no more!
The Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest - surprisingly excellent collection, and a surprisingly charming city

Small sized museums:

Villa Borghese, Rome - Renaissance collection in a Renaissance building in a Renaissance park. Mindblowing.
Villa Giulia, Rome - great etruscan art in a great Renaissance building.
History Museum of Barcelona, for the walk between Roman ruins, which is actually underground, bellow the main city square
Picasso Museum in Barcelona - great collection and great location, in the heart of the mediaeval town.
The Museum Of Impressionism from Giverny, France - more for Monet's gardens, actually.
The Thesaurus of the Vatopedi Monastery at Mount Athos; not really a museum, institutionally, but it's built as one and the collection is mindblowing if you're into religious and Byzantine art in particular.

Tiny museums: many such museums around Europe, around small towns, monasteries, castles, or "niche" museums in larger cities. I love them all. Special mentions for the Balcic castle with gardens in Balchik, Bulgaria, the painters' hotel (now museum) in Barbizon, France, "Old St. John's Hospital" Museum in Bruges, the Bayeux Tapestry museum in France, the museum of the Cathedral of Girona, in Spain/Catalunya, the Mogosoaia Palace near Bucharest, Romania etc.

Looking forward to visiting Amsterdam, Berlin, Florence, Venice, Naples, Athens, Istanbul, etc...

Last edited by alexandru.mircea; May 19th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #213
BavaroPC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wow!! gonna come back with more time to read all this... seems intresting
BavaroPC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:53 AM   #214
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.mircea View Post
Huge museums:

Le Louvre - best collection, best building, best urban context, most efficient practically
The Vatican - less practical, but unbeatable for the experience of immersing yourself directly into the Renaissance. The murals also are unique.

Tate Modern, London - fantastic building, urban context, collection, curatorship. Just perfect.
The National Museum of Catalunya (MNAC) in Barcelona. Mindblowing position on the Montjuic hill, with Barcelona laying under your feet. Also, the collection of Catalan romanesque murals is unique in the world.
Centre Pompidou, Paris - fantastic architecture and splendid relation to the urban context
National Gallery, London - smaller but absolutely perfect permanent collection. Great curatorship.
Palazzo Massimo alle Terme, Rome - ancient Roman art at its best, plus wonderful lighting.
The Museum Of Byzantine Civilization, Thessaloniki - very modern, and I have a soft spot for Byzantine art.
The Museum of Fine Arts in Budapest - surprisingly excellent collection, and a surprisingly charming city

Small sized museums:

Villa Borghese, Rome - Renaissance collection in a Renaissance building in a Renaissance park. Mindblowing.
History Museum of Barcelona, for the walk between Roman ruins, which is actually underground, bellow the main city square
Picasso Museum in Barcelona - great collection and great location, in the heart of the mediaeval town.
The Museum Of Impressionism from Giverny, France - more for Monet's gardens, actually.
The Thesaurus of the Vatopedi Monastery at Mount Athos; not really a museum, institutionally, but it's built as one and the collection is mindblowing if you're into religious and Byzantine art in particular.

Tiny museums: many such museums around Europe, around small towns, monasteries, castles, or "niche" museums in larger cities. I love them all. Special mentions for the Balcic castle with gardens in Balchik, Bulgaria, the painters' hotel (now museum) in Barbizon, France, "Old St. John's Hospital" Museum in Bruges, the Bayeux Tapestry museum in France, the museum of the Cathedral of Girona, in Spain/Catalunya, the Mogosoaia Palace near Bucharest, Romania etc.

Looking forward to visiting Amsterdam, Berlin, Florence, Venice, Naples, Athens, Istanbul, etc...
Last I heard they had started building museums outside of europe.
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #215
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Yes, but ours are alredy built.
I'd say British Museum and Louvre win the contest by a large margin. No particular arguments needed.
Old June 5th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #216
iaro
Castilla amanti

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Huge museums:

Small sized museums:

And el Museo del Prado????
Old June 6th, 2011, 04:46 AM   #217
mvictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_N View Post
Yes, but ours are alredy built.
I'd say British Museum and Louvre win the contest by a large margin. No particular arguments needed.
I agree with that but I think the British Museum wins because you don't have to line up for hours to get in! Thats what kills Paris for me, you have to line up for everything!
Old June 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #218
alexandru.mircea
Ars longa, vita brevis

Likes (Received): 10735

Quote:
You HAVE to be kidding me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaro View Post
And el Museo del Prado????
I haven't seen it yet, unfortunately, but I'm planning to do it sometime soon. It has one of the top painting collections in the world (especially Velasquez, Titian, Rubens, Bosch are of special interest to me).

Quote:
I agree with that but I think the British Museum wins because you don't have to line up for hours to get in! Thats what kills Paris for me, you have to line up for everything!
The only Parisian museum where I had to wait in line more than 10 minutes is Orsay. It took a bit more than one hour, but that happened on a Sunday, which is the day with the highest afluence; during the other days it's normally faster than that. You must have had an exceptionally bad experience...
alexandru.mircea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #219
alekssa1

Likes (Received): 1787

Quote:
Huge museums:

I'd add Hermitage with its world largest collection of paintings. And as for architecture, its main building can rival Louvre
alekssa1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #220
taboe
taboe

Likes (Received): 380

MAS Antwerp:

And also worth mentioning is The museum Plantin Moretus in Antwerp, the only museum in the world that's a UNESCO Heritage site.

But all chauvinism aside, I would say:
- Musei Vaticani in Rome for old art
- MOMA in New York for modern art
taboe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote