daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM   #101
geordiebristolian

Likes (Received): 1

I have a pop card I use for Metrosaver tickets. Do I need another one for pay as you go or can I put it on the same card. Also if I have a two zone metrosaver, can I PAYG from into another zone. Is this on the Nexus website and where?
geordiebristolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2015, 06:29 PM   #102

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiebristolian View Post
I have a pop card I use for Metrosaver tickets. Do I need another one for pay as you go or can I put it on the same card. Also if I have a two zone metrosaver, can I PAYG from into another zone. Is this on the Nexus website and where?
You need a separate pay as you go card.
3848827 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #103
geordiebristolian

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3848827 View Post
You need a separate pay as you go card.
Ok thanks for that I'll bear it in mid.
geordiebristolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 12:36 AM   #104
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Likes (Received): 650

In London you can use your contactless card or iPhone/Apple watch to buy a ticket which caps on the pricing. This is the way forward, the Metro are now installing a technology that is coming to its end.

Newcastle Metro Area
bigchrisfgb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 12:48 AM   #105
po8crg
Richard

Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchrisfgb View Post
In London you can use your contactless card or iPhone/Apple watch to buy a ticket which caps on the pricing. This is the way forward, the Metro are now installing a technology that is coming to its end.
The physical hardware is still NFC, so the readers won't be obsolete; they might need some software upgrades to work with other systems, but the actual reader itself can talk to an Apple Watch or contactless card or even a host of other brands of mobile right now.

Using their own card initially is probably a good idea; they'll need to issue them to people entitled to discounted travel (children, OAPs, disabled, etc) anyway, so get the bugs out on your own hardware where you have control over everything and then move on to contactless cards and NFC-enabled phones and watches later.
po8crg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:42 AM   #106
cranfan

Likes (Received): 41

ITSO news - has a piece on the development of smartphone software for emulating smartcards.
cranfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #107
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by po8crg View Post
Using their own card initially is probably a good idea; they'll need to issue them to people entitled to discounted travel (children, OAPs, disabled, etc) anyway, so get the bugs out on your own hardware where you have control over everything and then move on to contactless cards and NFC-enabled phones and watches later.
And keep the cards for those who don't have contactless cards or smartphones (or don't want to use them for directly paying for rail journeys) - like London has.

London needed to do a firmware upgrade on the readers, IIRC, but that's it.

And I can't imagine the numbers using Apple Pay will be that high: it adds a second at the gate if using the phone, and with the watch it's typically on the wrong arm for the readers.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 12:01 PM   #108
Steve Ellwood

Likes (Received): 4089

Three-hour delays to Metro trains between Heworth, Pelaw and Brockley Whins

From the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...rains-10389287
Three-hour delays to Metro trains between Heworth, Pelaw and Brockley Whins
4 Nov 2015 By Daniel Milligan

Metro passengers were left stranded after a broken down train caused widespread disruption.

Nexus, which manages the Tyne and Wear Metro, said there were no services between Heworth and Hebburn/Brockley Whins on Wednesday night due to a failed train at around 5.50pm. Passengers reported that the broken down train was just after Pelaw Metro Station.

Some trains were forced to return to Pelaw, while others were asked to leave the train at Heworth and catch buses. A spokesman for Nexus said that Go North East was accepting Metro tickets on bus services five, nine and 27.

The line was still blocked at 9pm.

Read more, see image gallery and video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/...rains-10389287

From today's Shields Gazette @ http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/l...mage-1-7553871
Scale of last night's Metro chaos was caused by points damage
By Petra Silfverskiold 5th November 2015

The failed train which caused hours of delays on the Metro last night damaged the points on the track rendering it unusable

Hundreds of passengers were caught up in the chaos which saw the service suspended Pelaw to Hebburn and Pelaw to Brockley Whins from about 6.30pm until the end of service.

The service is this morning up and running after engineers worked through the night to repair the damage at Pelaw Metro station, although leaves on the line are causing slight delays.

A Metro spokesman said: "There were delays last night due to a failed train at Pelaw. We apologise to our customers for the disruption. The length of the delays were heighted by the failed train somehow damaging a set of points on the tracks. This meant it took much longer to get the train moved out of the way and then the damaged rails had to be repaired overnight. We are now investigating how this damage occurred. We arranged for local buses to accept Metro tickets and special replacement buses were called in to operate in the affected area. The damaged points were fixed during the night and trains services resumes as normal this morning."

Steve Ellwood
www.steve-ellwood.org.uk
Steve Ellwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #109
Talisker
dE/dm

Likes (Received): 555

Wow it's lucky I went home half an hour early yesterday, otherwise I would have been caught up in that. What a fiasco.
Old November 5th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #110

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
It's also worth remembering that if you really want to use Apple Pay or contactless, use a ticket machine - they also never have to do anything extra to get Apple Pay working, it is literally just contactless as we have always know it (albeit with extra security)

(Remember Apple Pay is only revolutionary to some because the USA lives in the past when it comes to bank cards)

Taking contactless at the validators and gates will be pretty much back office changes which we'll see anyway (at some point)
3848827 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #111
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

My point isn't just about Apple Pay though, my point is for contactless cards and other systems like Samsung pay and Google Pay which will all be released in the coming months. In London you can swipe your card over a reader, here you have to buy a card that goes over the reader, so you generally have to have a pop card in the first place, or buy one from the ticket machine. From what I have seen the ticket barriers here don't have a contactless 'bump' on them like in London. This means a pop card is always needed.

In the video where the guy is using Apple Pay on the tube the guy is doing it wrong. Apple Pay allows for pre-emptive authorisation, so you can scan your finger print as you walk to the barrier and then you have 1 minute to make a purchase, this is designed to prevent people from holding up queues on systems such as the tube. On the Apple Watch you just double click the button to bring Apple Pay up, it is much more intuitive to use on the Apple Watch the the iPhone.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #112
Delaval

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
I disagree that ITSO is technology coming to its end. The future of ticketing will be a combination of ITSO and EMV both on physical card and mobile. It isn't fair to compare where London is to where regional schemes are. London has a mature smartcard system, which it will still retain even though it's focus is on EMV. TfL funding is vastly different from the regions and have much higher public transport usage. TfL's adoption of EMV is driven by their specific strategy of ending up with a cashless system. To my knowledge that is not Nexus's strategy.

Developing all these schemes costs money. It's a choice with the limited development budget as to what technology they should focus on first. It's right they should focus on developing ITSO schemes initially as not everyone has access to an EMV card, or has a mobile capable of NFC technology. EMV will come eventually.
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 07:41 PM   #113
johnnyshaker

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenorthumbrian View Post
Plan could see two new Metro stations built.

Two new Metro stations could be built as part of plans to build thousands of new homes in North Tyneside.

The two potential sites have been earmarked as part of the draft Local Plan drawn up by North Tyneside Council which includes plans to build 5,000 new homes.
Holystone would be nice. I always feel Palmersville is a bit too far west and Northumberland Park is a bit too far to the east. I should say it's purely for selfish reasons!
johnnyshaker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #114
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaval View Post
I disagree that ITSO is technology coming to its end. The future of ticketing will be a combination of ITSO and EMV both on physical card and mobile. It isn't fair to compare where London is to where regional schemes are. London has a mature smartcard system, which it will still retain even though it's focus is on EMV. TfL funding is vastly different from the regions and have much higher public transport usage. TfL's adoption of EMV is driven by their specific strategy of ending up with a cashless system. To my knowledge that is not Nexus's strategy.

Developing all these schemes costs money. It's a choice with the limited development budget as to what technology they should focus on first. It's right they should focus on developing ITSO schemes initially as not everyone has access to an EMV card, or has a mobile capable of NFC technology. EMV will come eventually.
The thing is though contactless cards have been out for quite a few years now, it was clear it was an emerging technology, the ticket barriers should have had NFC technology on them when they were installed. Organisations like Nexus should be able to foresee what technology is emerging and adapt to it better.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:14 PM   #115
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26116

Official from Nexus:

Quote:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/me...ise-39-million

Metro passenger numbers rise to 39 million
22 October 2015

The Tyne and Wear Metro has achieved its highest passenger figures for five years, with the number of journeys on the system passing 39 million.

Nexus, which owns and manages Metro, puts the growth down to keeping ticket prices low and the introduction of smart ticketing, which offers passengers more flexible ways to pay for their travel.

Metro’s moving annual total has now risen above 39 million for the first time since June 2010

Quote:
http://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/po...its-first-week

Pop Pay As You Go sells well in its first week
6 November 2015

Pay As You Go smart travel on the Tyne and Wear Metro has sold well during its first week of operation.

Nexus, which owns and manages Metro, has sold 120 purple Pop Pay As You Go cards in the first two days alone since the product launched on Monday 2 November.

Close to 300 Pop Pay As You Go smartcard have been purchased over the course of the week

geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 09:22 PM   #116
act94

Likes (Received): 78

The ticket barriers are Scheidt & Bachmann FareGo PG barriers, and are compatible with ISO14443, which covers almsot everything smartcard related, including both contactless bank cards (and NFC phones, which emulate these) and smart ticketing systems (such as ITSO). Most contactless bank cards/smartcards in the UK use MiFare Classic or DESFire chips anyway, so there is no reason the reader wouldn't be compatible. Nexus just need to implement the backend system to process the contactless cards.

Here is the brochure for the Validators which they use also: http://www.scheidt-bachmann.com/file...al_SV40_EN.pdf
act94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2015, 11:42 PM   #117
bigchrisfgb
The Legend

I'm on about the barriers themselves at stations like Haymarket.

Newcastle Metro Area
Old November 8th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #118
act94

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
I'm on about the barriers themselves at stations like Haymarket.
So am I? The barriers have the same tech as the validators: http://www.scheidt-bachmann.com/file...te_PG40_EN.pdf

They have a spot on them where you tap the smart card, in the case of Metro a POP card or a Newcastle Uni student card (with a week/month/season loaded on it), which are also ITSO standard so they could easily use them on the system.
act94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2015, 08:14 AM   #119
Delaval

Likes (Received): 74

ITSO is the mandated technology for smartcards in the UK outside London and so Nexus had to focus on developing that system. The UK Cards Association is leading on a project commissioned by DfT to bring payment with contactless cards to public transport across the country.
Delaval no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #120
vx999

Likes (Received): 260

Quote:

In the video where the guy is using Apple Pay on the tube the guy is doing it wrong. Apple Pay allows for pre-emptive authorisation, so you can scan your finger print as you walk to the barrier and then you have 1 minute to make a purchase, this is designed to prevent people from holding up queues on systems such as the tube. On the Apple Watch you just double click the button to bring Apple Pay up, it is much more intuitive to use on the Apple Watch the the iPhone.
I was going to mention this after the comment about ApplePay being slower, ApplePay is just as quick as any contactless if used properly (as you say, double click to bring the card up on the lock screen), it's only slower when the user waits for the reader to activate the phone and pop up the card on screen.

Perhaps people should be given a video lesson in its use when they sign up to use it...
vx999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
newcastle, newcastle transport