daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #101
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 780

@ MartinS, you bet. I certainly did appreciate your excellent thread. The photos were wonderful as were your descriptions. Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #102
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3271

Bravo!

I'd never thought too much about Merseyrail, but it looks like a really nice system.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #103
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Yes indeed top marks to Martin S - it's given us the chance to appreciate what an achievement MerseyRail is....and also to lament that when MerseyRail was built, a similar heavy rail scheme in Manchester, the infamous "PiccVic", never happened.

Liverpool should be justifyably proud of its underground and lets hope and pray that it gets extended and that more UK cities will gain a kilometer or two of tunnel at some point in the future!
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM   #104
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
Lots of talk, little action!

Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham and Nottingham have had light rail / tram systems built in recent years to add to the true Metros already in existence in Newcastle and Glasgow. Lots of other places have threatened to join the list (e.g. Portsmouth-Gosport, Leeds, Liverpool) but progress seems slow.

The two in London (DLR and Croydon Tramlink) have been stunning successes, but those outside London have sometimes been of questionable cost-benefit (e.g. Sheffield, Birmingham). Huge expansion earmarked for the successful Manchester Metrolink is struggling with funding sadly.
Coming back to your reply Tubeman: It looks like Leeds/South Hants/Liverpool and Bristol have definately hit the buffers at the moment (though of course we all remain hopeful that some or all of these great schemes can be revived) but Nottingham NET has been such a success that it's thought they may get some money to expand.

Midland Metro will definately be expanded into the centre of Birmingham (though sadly not underground) and one or two of its proposed branches may come to fruition (Sanwell I heard is quite likely - anyone know any different?). However I believe it is Manchester which is again likely to demonstrate the biggest light rail expansion.

Their proposed "Big Bang" finally got the (long delayed) go-ahead last year with a few crucial arms chopped off and this has become known as Phase 3a - or "Big Bangs Little Bang", but the talk of congestion charging in Greater Manchester will move forward their chances of getting the full money for the entire Phase 3a and 3b (the original "Big Bang" including: New line to South Manchester and Airport; New line to East Manchester & Ashton; taking over another BR line - the one to Oldham and Rochdale). In fact Machester is so confident of expansion that there is now even serious talk of a Phase 4 and 5.

These could include Tram-Tains (Wigan to Marple) and a second city centre route (badly needed to avoid a 'tram-jam' on the existing route) plus other long hoped for extentions to Stockport, the Trafford Centre and The Lowry.

There's lots of discussion of all these on the Manchester pages of this forum and you can find lots online too for example: http://www.gmfuturetransport.co.uk/

At the present stage though it is sadly true to say that still none of the light rail planners are prepared to indulge the idea that any of these new lines could be in tunnel. But we live in hope!

Last edited by MarkO; June 12th, 2007 at 03:19 PM. Reason: typo
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #105
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

very interesting...the entrances to some of the stations look so small and unassuming.

Liverpool Central reminds me of that area around Victoria in London.
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #106
Martin S

Likes (Received): 3149

Here are some diagrams showing the present Merseyrail Underground system, the system prior to the Loop and Link line works in the 70s and the tunnels under central Liverpool. Also shown is the proposed Edge Hill Spur scheme, which would allow the City Line to be connected into the Merseyrail Underground and permit a new underground station to be built to serve the university area:

Last edited by Martin S; June 16th, 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Martin S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #107
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

By hkbw from a HK transport forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM   #108
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Unsafe....
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #109
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By ej4147 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 12th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #110
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By hkbw from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old November 18th, 2007, 05:55 AM   #111
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By hkbw from a Hong Kong transport forum :

Old May 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #112
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Travel UK by Local Bus - Land's End to John O'Groats

No fares please for longest bus ride
10 April 2008
The Times

It was a journey that took one week, six hours and ten minutes, cost nothing, involved getting on and off nearly 40 different buses and evoked a particularly British form of heroism.

A determined pensioner called Richard Elloway, 61, has become the first person to travel free from Land's End to John O'Groats on local buses - a record that became possible with the introduction of the national bus pass scheme on April 1.

His record-breaking trip, which started at 10.35 on the morning of April 1, ended last Tuesday evening at 4.45pm, when an obliging bus driver drove him down to the lonely signpost on the northernmost tip of Britain and took a picture of him.

The terms of his adventure were simple: he had to get from one end of the country to the other using his free pass on local buses and not express coaches. Where possible he had to stay in local youth hostels.

He carried with him large bundles of bus timetables, a toothbrush and a sense of optimism about the unknown. Mr Elloway, a member of the Land's End to John o' Groats Association, is a veteran enthusiast, having already set two previous records for cycling the famous route.

"I was the only passenger when the first bus set out from Land's End," he said yesterday. "I had planned ahead as much as I could, but in many cases it was impossible to work the route out very far in advance."

His darkest hour came when he found himself stranded late in the evening in Lincoln, without any hostel to go to, any accommodation booked, or any buses going anywhere.

"It was Day 4 and I was supposed to have reached Scarborough, but it just wasn't possible to get there by bus. I had lost a day. I arrived in Lincoln at 8.45pm with nowhere to stay, and I walked around the streets, where there were lots of noisy students drifting around.

"I sought help at some student accommodation, and the janitor was terrific: he found me a guesthouse called Jaymar, owned by Margaret and Jim Ward.

"That was the most euphoric part of the trip, finding that B&B. They came and got me, and fed me, and even took me to the bus station the next morning. It does restore your faith in human nature - that's why I do these trips."

Mr Elloway's route up England was extremely circuitous. It was not intended to be. "Even on the first day, I discovered that the timetables meant it was quicker to cut across Cornwall to Newquay than to go the way I had planned. But even that was a pretty horrendous day. I found myself stranded in Tiverton at 7pm when my intention was to get to Wellington to spend the night at home. But the bus had already left."

Mr Elloway reckons that the entire trip has cost him less than Pounds 100 in food and acccommodation - the national free bus-pass scheme has cost tax- payers Pounds 1 billion. He stayed the first night at home, in Somerset, and the third - quite unexpectedly, when he ended up in Cambridge - with his sister. Often he went hungry, as he missed out on food while rushing to change buses.

Mr Elloway, a retired primary school head teacher, was fundraising for the charity Breaks4Kids, the charity of the Youth Hostel Association, which helps to provide holidays for disabled and disadvantaged children.

Day 3 of the trip presented big problems and a complete change of plan. His desired route, up the West of England, taking in Worcester and the Peak District, was impractical, and he headed east toward Cambridge. However, the next day he found himself zig-zagging towards Lincoln and making little progress north. He lost time.

"One major problem," he said yesterday, "is there is no unified national helpline. Even people who worked for the bus companies spent ages on the phone to try and sort out the best route for me."

Eventually he made it to Scotland, where he had arranged free travel. Mr Elloway's record may never be repeated, because he had to gain special dispensation from Scottish bus companies for a free pass - a privilege reserved for those living in the country.

"Generally it was a wonderful trip," he said. "I liked getting off the bus and finding people's accent had changed. Was I ever bored? Never. Reading timetables, planning the route, counting the donations, and all the rest of it filled my time."

Latest Times news on your mobile, wherever you are Text Times to 86626 or go to timesmobile.mobi on your phone

Old May 9th, 2008, 08:09 PM   #113
Republica
BUND

Likes (Received): 3

This is a great scheme for the elderly. quite obivously.

Anyway, my Gran has just got rid of her car and just uses buses to get everywhere now!
Old May 10th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #114
Acemcbuller
Lifelong Londoner

Likes (Received): 0

Disabled people get the benefit too
Acemcbuller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 10:19 AM   #115
sotavento

Likes (Received): 322

Ahhh ... going from the First/Arriva down south up all the way to those Rapsons Highlanders up north.

I miss being elderly and free riding so much. (32 actualy)

"O País perdeu a inteligência e a consciência moral. Ninguém se respeita nem crê na honestidade dos homens públicos. O povo está na miséria. Os serviços públicos vão abandonados. A mocidade arrasta-se das mesas das secretarias para as mesas dos cafés. A ruína económica cresce o comércio definha, a indústria enfraquece. O salário diminui. O Estado é considerado um ladrão e tratado como um inimigo.
Neste salve-se quem puder a burguesia proprietária de casas explora o aluguel. A agiotagem explora o juro…"”
— Eça
sotavento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #116
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Reminds me of Bill Bryson's book "Notes from a Small Island". Sounds like good fun, actually.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:01 PM   #117
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

UNITED KINGDOM | Urban Transport Compilation

This thread is about public transport systems in the UK, that rarely coveraged. For existing cities threads, visit thread finder

geometarkv liked this post

Last edited by dimlys1994; February 8th, 2016 at 06:39 PM.
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:15 PM   #118
dimlys1994

From Derby Telegraph:

Quote:
http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/poun...#ixzz2zd1Zj8la

£1.5m investment will revive Derby firm's project for revolutionary tram
April 18, 2014

The tram that carried out the successful test in Blackpool in 2009, when it ran smoothly for 2,000 km

A DERBY tram project that has spent years in the sidings is being resurrected with more than a million pounds of fresh investment.

Stored Engine Technology in Litchurch Lane will be using about £1.5 million of funding to develop a lighter, more efficient and cheaper means to power trams.

The motors and a guidance system would be incorporated into the wheels, a radical departure from conventional trams whose wheels are driven through the axle and transmission, thus making the trams much lighter.

The company has won an investment of £919,000 through the Radical Train Competition – designed to accelerate research and development and run by the rail industry's Enabling Innovation Team.

The firm has also received a £114,000 grant from the Derby Enterprise Growth Fund and £344,700 worth of loan support.

An early version of the technology, designed and developed in Derby, was incorporated into a tram that underwent successful trials in Blackpool, running smoothly for 2,000 km in 2009.

But, since then, the prototype has been hidden away at the premises of GGS Engineering, sister company of Stored Engine Technology.

The funding will allow the business to take the two-year wheelmotor demonstrator project forward and enable it to recruit four more engineers who will work in partnership with the Institute of Railway Research, based at Huddersfield University.

Stored Engine Technology project manager Neil Cooney said: "The tram project was put on hold because, at that time, there was not the confidence in the business to carry it forward.

"The funding from the Radical Train competition and the Derby Enterprise Growth Fund mean that it has been reinvigorated. After many years of planning, we now have the funding in place to forge ahead to build a working prototype."

The prototype has the potential to attract the interest of major manufacturers of trams, such as Bombardier, Siemens and Alstom, should the technology prove economically viable for large-scale production.

"Our steering group of rail industry experts are very excited about the technology and the potential for the rail sector across the world," said Mr Cooney.

"We are committed to keeping manufacturing for the new system here in Derby."

City council director of regeneration Richard Williams said: "This is an exciting project which could provide revolutionary applications in the light rail sector – improving safety and efficiency."

geometarkv, mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 23rd, 2014, 04:25 PM   #119
dimlys1994

This week, UK PM David Cameron and Chansellor George Osborne announced £36bn spending on infrastructure projects. Here is the list of public transport projects, announced by Tresuary:

Projects and programmes projected to start in 2014-15:
  • BRT Ashton Vale to Temple Meads (Bristol) - South West
  • Crewe Green link Southern Section - North West
  • Croxley Rail Link (Watford) - East of England
  • Hucknall Town Centre Improvement Scheme - East Midlands
  • Leeds Rail Growth - North East
  • North Fringe to Hengrove Package BRT (Bristol) - South West
Projects and programmes projected to complete in 2014-15:
  • Beverley Integrated Transport Plan - North East
  • Ipswich Fit for 21st Century - East of England
  • Leeds Station Southern Access - North East
  • Loughborough Town Centre Transport Scheme - East Midlands
  • Luton Town Centre Transport Scheme - East of England
  • Midland Metro Extension - West Midlands
  • Nottingham NET2 - East Midlands

geometarkv liked this post
Old July 7th, 2014, 06:03 PM   #120
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/i...l-funding.html

Transport projects allocated Growth Deal funding
07 Jul 2014

UK: A number of transport schemes are included in the government’s Local Growth Fund allocations announced on July 7. Local Enterprise Partnerships formed by English local authorities and businesses were able to bid for money from the fund to spend on match-funded projects which are intended to support their local economy.

In Birmingham £100m has been allocated for extensions of the Midland Metro tramway, subject to the completion of successful business cases. The extensions would run from New Street station to Centenary Square, Broad Street and Five Ways, and from Stephenson Street to Eastside to serve the planned Curzon Street station on High Speed 2. Funding for a continuation to Digbeth and Adderley Street park and ride will also be considered.

A further £4·5m has been allocated to extending Midland Metro to Wolverhampton station, which will be modernised. There is also funding for the Mid-Cannock container depot and freight interchange, and to enable Birmingham’s South & City College to help provide people with specialist skills needed for High Speed 2.

Greater Manchester has secured £18m for its £44m Metrolink Service Improvement Package, which will include 12 additional trams ‘to provide increased resilience across the network’, as well as a new wheel lathe, two substations and a turnback at Sale.

There is £2·1m to begin planning for an extension of the Blackpool tramway to Blackpool North station in 2016-21.

A number of stations are to be modernised, and £7·5m will be allocated to develop plans for 25 kV 50 Hz electrification from Hull to the East Coast Main Line