daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 4th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #21
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Well I assume those vestas with their large price tag would only be build in perfect locations in larger groups. What's more I've read more powerful 10mw wind turbines are currently in development. Lastly is this san luis proposal going to deliver 435mw of power output continuously? Wouldn't weather affect it as well?
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #22
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Lastly is this san luis proposal going to deliver 435mw of power output continuously?
The article says they estimate 1,200 megawatts peak output during certain hours in the summer, and 435 megawatts on average. Given that it would be the first tower, at least of this scale, it could turn out to be more or less than predicted. I don't know for sure, but maybe this concept arose because the area just doesn't have enough wind to make a wind farm profitable.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #23
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Yeah, but like Kyll.Ing. says, why not build an updraft tower? I don't get how a downdraft tower would be a better choice, given that you have to pump up the water. Does it produce more draft and therefore more energy, or something? Only someone into physics will know...
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #24
w562001127

Likes (Received): 1

This is true
w562001127 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:46 AM   #25
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

I would prefer an updraft tower to this. This concept has to use a lot of water that has to be pumped up to that height to cool the air and make it fall. An updraft tower uses miles of greenhouses that slope up toward the center and up the tall, narrow tower. One of those actually existed in Spain in the 1980's for over 5 years. They create miles of farmland in the desert by controlling the climate, and don't use any water for electric generation where it is very scarce!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2014, 07:00 AM   #26
3tmk
Rusty Robot

I wonder what happened to those plans for a 1km tall solar turbine in Australia from a decade ago?

This appears to be different technology though.

edit: Okay I read the thread and found the posts about it.
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #27
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Hey there folks, after quite a while where I had not enough time for the forum I'm back. I don't know how much free time I will have in the future, but I should be able to make you folks a diagram from time to time

Btw, I found a very optimistic article about this tower. We shouldn't get overly optimistic but this proposal does seem to be a real proposal after all. Who knows, maybe the US will get megatalls in the forseeable future, but those megatalls won't be skyscrapers but energy generating towers. Interesting concept indeed

Quote:
Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc. Issues Update on First Solar Tower Project in Arizona and Developments With Its Licensing Partner in Chile

Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc. (OTCQB: SWET) (the "Company"), the inventor of large Solar Wind Downdraft Tower structures capable of producing abundant, inexpensive electricity, today issued an update on its first Solar Wind Energy Tower Project in Arizona and developments with Cobracrest, its licensing partner in Chile.

As mentioned in previous releases and on the October 29, 2014 conference call, the Company has been aggressively pursuing Power Purchase Agreements (PPA's) for long term supply of power to accredited purchasers, which will support the financing of the project in San Luis, Arizona. The California Energy Commission (CEC) issued Pre-certification Approval to the Company determining that the power derived from the San Luis project was eligible for California's Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS). This status allows potential purchasers' access to a number of credits and financial incentives only available when renewable energy is purchased. These long term agreements (20-25 years) will guarantee the income from power sales. The contracts will be assigned and revenue stemming from them will be pledged to the lender financing the project.
National Standard Finance, the potential lender for the San Luis project, recently provided the Company with terms outlining an alternative financing structure now available for the Arizona project. Under this new program, the interest and financing costs can be greatly reduced by decreasing the loan from 100% to 85%. The Company is seriously evaluating this new alternative and is pursuing possible equity contributions to make up that 15% equity component.

In July 2014, the Company announced that it had agreed to accept up to $100 million additional financing from an Arizona Regional Center through the Federal EB-5 Visa Direct Investment Program. The preliminary analysis for "total employment impacts" of the facility in the region indicates that over 20,000 jobs calculated by "direct, indirect and induced multiplier effects in the regional model" and billions of dollars contributed to Gross Regional Product -- nearly one-half the economic benefit analysis recently projected for the Keystone Pipeline! Based on this new preliminary report and subject to final analysis, the Company has agreed to modify the EB-5 goals and will accept up to $200 million from the program. This EB-5 program could facilitate the requirements of the new 85% financial structure allowing the project access to substantial interest savings over the life of the project.

With regards to Chile, the Chilean Copper Commission reported last Thursday that "Energy-hungry Chile, the world's largest copper producer would need to increase its installed power capacity by 18,000 gigawatts to meet the future mining-sector demand by 2025." Chile's need to expand its power capacity is propelling Cobracrest Chile which has the exclusive right to license the Company's proprietary hybrid solar wind energy Tower technology in Chile, to develop its first tower solution.

Ron Pickett, CEO of Solar Wind Energy Tower, commented, "We are steadily making progress in each facet of our business model and long-term growth plan. Power Purchase Agreements are at the cornerstone of the development and key to the success of the Arizona project. Acquiring the necessary agreements are at the forefront of our efforts as well as structuring development capital through the Federal EB-5 Visa Direct Investment Program, which fuels hiring and economic growth in the area.
We remain equally active in identifying and closing global licensing opportunities in regions that are environmentally and economically viable, and in need of new renewable energy technologies and investment. As I mentioned on our last shareholders conference call, Cobracrest has identified a site in the Atacama Desert region of Chile and are moving forward with its own development plans. We look forward to seeing their development progress, to making further progress with the development and financing of our own Tower Project in Arizona, and to continuing to provide consistent transparency and communication to our shareholders and the public along the way."

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/...027431-001.htm
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #28
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Instead of making this look like a cooling tower, why not build up on the sides of it and actually construct offices, hotels and residential units? I mean the thing is actually safe, as there are no potential side effects like living on a nuclear reactor. In fact may all future highrises could be built in a similar fashion. Even if there was still such a thing as air pollution it would be blown out of town if indeed these were constructed in large cities.

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #29
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I don't know whether the shape can be altered, it may be necessary for theb efficiency of this building, but I am pretty sure that there will be occupied floors at the top of it. The water sprinkler system which cools the air is located on the top of it and such a system needs nonstop monitoring and workers ready to fix any potential problem asap. These people will have to be stationed up there where they are close to the systems

One interesting thing is that the presence of occupied floors would make this structure a building. It wouldn't be a chimney anymore and would instead be a tower like the CN Tower or the SKy Tree, with the difference that its main function would be power generating, not broadcasting. Who knows, maybe they might even make an observation deck on top of it
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #30
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Who knows, maybe they might even make an observation deck on top of it
To see what exactly? I don't think the Arizona Desert is the most exciting view to behold from what I've seen.

j-biz liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #31
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

What do you mean, there's nothing to see? Check out these beautiful San Luis vistas. At least as good as Jeddah.

Entering San Luis, Arizona by Ken Lund, on Flickr

border wall, empty desert by @lvee, on Flickr

Kanto, jaceq liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #32
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
To see what exactly? I don't think the Arizona Desert is the most exciting view to behold from what I've seen.
I find the Sonoran Desert to be one of the most spectacular landscapes on the planet. To me, natural landmarks are just as fascinating as man made landmarks

Ch.W, Mplsuptown liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 01:35 PM   #33
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8240

it's not about how varied the landscape is, but how easily accessable the viewing platform. people might be interested in seeing the desert from above, but they are certainly not willing to travel miles upon miles into the desert to see it.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #34
Kanto
Roof height crusader

But they might be interested in seeing the world's most state of the art power plant and seeing the desert from high up might be a welcomed bonus

Mplsuptown liked this post
Old December 20th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #35
Major Deegan

Likes (Received): 3992

This makes no sense. What am I missing here? Pumping that much water alone is going to cost them lost efficiency. Why build a water-hungry downdraft tower in the middle of a flat desert?
Major Deegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #36
Conceptarq
CON SUNA

Likes (Received): 1867

is huuuuuuge like a mountain
Old March 9th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #37
Kanto
Roof height crusader

This proposal is very much alive, it seems. The demand for electrictity generated by this tower is rising, so getting financing might be indeed possible. C'mon folks, this is the first megatall in the US, give it a bit more love

Quote:
Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc. Provides Update on Financing Initiative for Arizona and Mexico Towers
ANNAPOLIS, MD--(Marketwired - February 17, 2015) - Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc. (OTCQB: SWET) (the "Company"), the inventor of large Solar Wind Downdraft Tower structures capable of producing abundant, inexpensive electricity, today in response to recent press and shareholder inquiries, provided an update on their financing initiative for Tower Projects in Arizona and Mexico.
Although physically located in Arizona, the San Luis Tower will be providing most of its power to California facilities. Development financing is conditional upon the Company obtaining satisfactory Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) with durations of 20 - 25 years, which is common in the industry. Price, escalations, and location are dominant factors. The California Energy Commission has designated the Company's power as eligible for its Renewable Portfolio Standard. Once built, power from the AZ Tower will qualify for Renewable Energy Credits to be "bundled" with Megawatts and provide incentives for purchasers to "Buy Green" from the Company.
As for the Mexico Tower, The Company has proposed to sell its power to Comisión Federal de Electricidad, (the national electric company), because the government of Mexico recently passed new energy policy laws targeting 30% alternative energy and encouraging the purchase of alternative energy from private developers. These new policy and regulatory changes create an immediate opportunity to develop alternative energy sources for this region. The Company has also agreed to provide power to the city of San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico.
Ron Pickett, CEO of Solar Wind Energy Tower, stated, "As mentioned in several announcements, conference calls and is included in the Company's related SEC filings, securing financing is highly crucial to the development of our AZ Tower project.
"Both Apple and Google announced last week that they had entered into long term PPA's for alternative energy for their facilities, it's important to note that those PPAs are set to begin late next year, and our AZ project is estimated to be delivering power in 2018.
"California is a prime market for our power sales and we are actively pursuing PPA's through several channels including, government RFP's, many public utilities, as well as a vast variety of California corporations and organizations focused on reducing their carbon footprint! This is an exciting time for our Company and we feel like the Company is poised to make great strides in the months to come."
Mr. Pickett went on to say, "Some have requested further understanding about our Financing Options for the Tower Projects. The 85% option (15% equity/guarantee) is available for both the Arizona and Mexico projects. There are slightly different requirements relating to the equity / guarantee, but the desired outcome for both would result in what we currently 'pro-form' as an estimated $60 million savings per year for the first 5 years and similar amount of savings each year during the ensuing 20 years as the loan is amortized."
Mr. Pickett added, "Boasting a small footprint compared to other wind or solar solutions and with a much lower capital cost per Megawatt, our alternative solar wind downdraft tower technology can truly impact the production of and investment in clean energy. The Company's team of highly qualified professionals and consultants is focused every day on assembling all the parts necessary to close the financing and ensure the development of our first Tower. Significant strides in the pursuit of strategic partners and purchasers of power for both the Arizona and Mexico projects are made daily. We look forward to the issuing the next update on our progress. In the meantime, we encourage any and all of those interested in AZ, Mexico and/or licensing opportunities to contact us directly."
About Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc.
Founded in 2010, Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc., and its wholly owned commercializing subsidiary, Solar Wind Energy, Inc., is the inventor of the patented Solar Wind Downdraft Tower, which uses state of the art technologies and construction systems to produce abundant, inexpensive electricity, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and the Energy Generation Calculator software which can calculate and predict energy production of a Tower given a site's local weather data. The Company secured the site for its first Tower project in the U.S. in the City of San Luis, Arizona which may be ready for operation as soon as 2018. Under the most recent design specifications, the first Tower in San Luis, Arizona has a design capacity on an hourly basis of up to 1,250 megawatt hours, gross. The Company is also focused on licensing its development know-how and establishing partnerships at home and abroad to propagate Tower development projects in return for licensing fees for territories, development fees during construction, and recurring royalty fees based on the actual kilowatt hours produced by the Tower. Solar Wind Energy has assembled a team of experienced business professionals, engineering and scientific consultants with the proven ability to bring this solution to market.
The Company's core objective and focus is to become a leading enabler of clean, efficient renewable energy to world communities, at a reasonable cost, without the destructive residuals of fossil fuels, while continuing to generate innovative technological solutions to meet tomorrow's electrical power needs. Solar Wind Energy has filed and been issued patents that the Company believes will further enhance this potentially revolutionary technology. Solar Wind Energy Tower, Inc., based in Annapolis, MD, is traded on the OTCQB under the symbol "SWET'.
For more information visit:
http://www.solarwindenergytower.com, and https://www.facebook.com/solarwindenergytower and https://twitter.com/SWETower
http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...et-1992254.htm

j-biz, Mplsuptown liked this post
Old March 10th, 2015, 04:45 AM   #38
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

I hope it will be a succesful project....
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #39
Mplsuptown

Likes (Received): 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
But they might be interested in seeing the world's most state of the art power plant and seeing the desert from high up might be a welcomed bonus

..and plenty of people drive to Hoover Dam. It's just a man made object holding back some water. Still...

*And Major D., just leave the angry man's post up. - spectre000

Kanto liked this post
Mplsuptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:43 PM   #40
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Solar Wind and the Promise of Limitless Energy
This structure could solve the biggest problem with wind power.
Bob Young | February 11, 2015

HERO Solar Wind Tower
Could the solution to generating limitless, natural electricity actually be a 2,250-foot wind-generating tower that was originally conceived in the 1970s?

The brains at Solar Wind Energy, Inc. are betting that it is.

The concept is deceptively simple yet brilliant: The Solar Wind Downdraft Tower works by spraying a water mist at the top that cools the sun-heated air, causing it to become denser and cooler, shooting on down inside the tower and rushing out through a series of wind turbines, blowing at speeds up to 50 mph and generating up to 1,250 megawatts per hour.

The Solar Wind Tower solves the biggest problem with wind power – what to do when the wind dies down? This massive structure makes its own, and it’s entirely sustainable, producing power with virtually no carbon footprint, fuel consumption or waste production. Originally devised by an engineer at Lockheed in Burbank, building it simply wasn’t doable 40-some years ago.

The really beautiful thing is that it works if it’s sunny or cloudy, windy or calm, cranking out power 24/7. Not surprisingly, power output is higher when it’s warm and sunny – and in the Arizona border town of San Luis, where the first Solar Wind Tower is expected to be up and running by 2018, that’s pretty much all of the time.

Solar Wind Tower 1

the Empire State Building when it’s finished – it’s sure to become a local landmark, and not just in San Luis.

And who’s going to be the beneficiary of all that power? Well, Los Angeles, for one.

The California Energy Commission has granted approval for the Solar Wind Tower in San Luis to provide energy to utilities and private companies in the state. The move is “a significant step in the continued development of the project,” said Ron Pickett, CEO of Solar Wind Energy. Another Solar Wind Tower is being planned in Sonora, Mexico, and the company is currently working with officials in Chile.

“The combined efforts of many will result in our Tower becoming a proven and reliable and affordable renewable energy source,” Pickett said.

Not only would the Solar Wind Tower be a boon to the environment, It could save consumers considerable cash, he said.

“With electricity produced from the Tower priced at approximately 1/3 of traditional alternative energy sources, the company is in an advantageous position to offer its partners not only the ability to meet certain environmental and energy regulations, but also to save roughly 2/3 on their electricity costs,” Pickett said.
http://www.drivethedistrict.com/2015...itless-energy/

Tags
megatall