daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #21
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I assume as much, though it has been a while since we've heard anything. It brings up an interesting quirk in this project though, which is the muddled ownership of all the adjacent parcels. As far as I know, Hudson Park and Blvd stretches only as far south as 33rd st. It's owned by Hudson Yards Development Corporation, which is a combination of municipal, state, and private entities. South of 33rd St, the park-like courtyard of Hudson Yards Phase 1 (where the sculpture/statue will be) is being developed solely by Related. These two things are supposed to eventually flow together, and I have no idea who will actually be responsible for upkeep, and whether the two parts will be administered together or separately.

This seems to be the trend in NYC with parks, as of late. The High Line is a perfect example. It's pretty much exclusively run by the Friends of the High Line, with little if any oversight by the Parks Department. Sure, it's beautiful, but it does draw questions as to whether or not it's a true public space - as parks are supposed to be.

In other news, the 34th St 7 train station just got pushed back AGAIN. It's now set to open in February of next year, so you can bet that none of the new park space will be open before then either.

solgoldberg, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 26th, 2014, 06:14 PM   #22
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
I have no idea who will actually be responsible for upkeep, and whether the two parts will be administered together or separately.
That is the purpose of the Business Improvement District which was newly formed and approved last winter that will be doing the upkeep of the parks and boulevards etc, because these things benefits the whole district as a whole.

I.e. - Bryant Park Improvement District and Times Square Improvement Districts.

Hudson Yards and Hells Kitchen BID
http://www.hyhkbid.org/hy-bid-plan/b...-improvements/

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 09:51 PM   #23
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Quote:
I assume as much, though it has been a while since we've heard anything. It brings up an interesting quirk in this project though, which is the muddled ownership of all the adjacent parcels. As far as I know, Hudson Park and Blvd stretches only as far south as 33rd st. It's owned by Hudson Yards Development Corporation, which is a combination of municipal, state, and private entities. South of 33rd St, the park-like courtyard of Hudson Yards Phase 1 (where the sculpture/statue will be) is being developed solely by Related. These two things are supposed to eventually flow together, and I have no idea who will actually be responsible for upkeep, and whether the two parts will be administered together or separately.

This seems to be the trend in NYC with parks, as of late. The High Line is a perfect example. It's pretty much exclusively run by the Friends of the High Line, with little if any oversight by the Parks Department. Sure, it's beautiful, but it does draw questions as to whether or not it's a true public space - as parks are supposed to be.

In other news, the 34th St 7 train station just got pushed back AGAIN. It's now set to open in February of next year, so you can bet that none of the new park space will be open before then either.

You bring up a good point regarding when the PARK aspect of Hudson Blvd Park will open, now that the 34th street station opening is "officially" pushed back.

This history of schedule slip after schedule slip is why I'm interested in seeing WHEN Phase I Moynihan Station will really open (August 2016?)

I hope the "High Line at the Rail Yard" opens this fall...

EDIT: w/o the PARK aspect of Hudson Blvd & w/o the new subway station, I guess we'll really get nothing from "Hudson Park and Boulevard" other than renderings of proposed surrounding building and photos of possible new building construction...

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; June 26th, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #24
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
That is the purpose of the Business Improvement District which was newly formed and approved last winter that will be doing the upkeep of the parks and boulevards etc, because these things benefits the whole district as a whole.
Ah, the BID. Of course, didn't even think of that. Still, it fits in with my earlier point. The best parks come to those who can pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
EDIT: w/o the PARK aspect of Hudson Blvd & w/o the new subway station, I guess we'll really get nothing from "Hudson Park and Boulevard" other than renderings of proposed surrounding building and photos of possible new building construction...
Actually, now that I think about it, they don't really use the future passenger entrance for construction access purposes. The construction workers go in through the vent next door on the 55 HY plot. So if the work finishes before the station is ready, they could just keep the station entrance boarded up but open up the rest.

Old June 26th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #25
solgoldberg

NYC/Manhattan complications

Quote:
Ah, the BID. Of course, didn't even think of that. Still, it fits in with my earlier point. The best parks come to those who can pay.

Actually, now that I think about it, they don't really use the future passenger entrance for construction access purposes. The construction workers go in through the vent next door on the 55 HY plot. So if the work finishes before the station is ready, they could just keep the station entrance boarded up but open up the rest.
It always comes down to money. Remember the United States started because the founding fathers did not want to pay taxes.

Good point, and they do have TWO station entrances.
WHO (BID, HYDC, not the MTA) would you contact to find out what the PLAN is? Remember that the HBP also has a few vehicular roads, with drop offs at both south (33rd st) and north (Amtrak west side cut) ends...

Old June 29th, 2014, 01:01 AM   #26
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 521

This is the first major public space designed in NYC since the introduction of CitiBike ... I hope the developers of Hudson Boulevard are going to integrate docking station design into the area from the beginning.

Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 01:35 AM   #27
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Is the sculpture set to rival the Eiffel Tower still planned? I'll admit that's one of my favorite mysteries. Hopefully they reveal something soon!
Wait, what?

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #28
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Wait, what?
It's for Hudson Yards, not the park, but Related has mentioned that they have an "incredible" sculpture planned for the center of the plaza, a new landmark comparable to [insert landmark here]. Everyone should be appropriately skeptical.

LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #29
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2622

Considering it was only two years ago that the London Orbit was compared to the Eiffel Tower I'm certainly not very hopeful about such claims.

WillBuild, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #30
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 5922

That's an awfully large amount of roads crossing and surrounding what calls itself a park.

MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #31
solgoldberg

Quote:

NYguy @SSP posted a Commercial Observer article on 3 HB, but it does involve the HP&B. At least a couple of the photos are hi-res if you click through in the CO article:

http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...and-boulevard/

Inside Hudson Park and Boulevard
BY TOBIAS SALINGER 7/09 2:14PM

Quote:
“Think about the scale and then think about this extension,” said Mr. Mirante, referring to the way the High Line will snake up to the Hudson Yards district from Chelsea while leading a pack of reporters through the eventual four-acre park. “Suddenly you not only have a plaza in front of your office, you have a park. You can take a nice walk, a real walk, through the park, then sit and have your lunch.”
Looking north from 34th st:

Commercial Observer Arthur Mirante of Avison Young.

The article itself is somewhat confusing as to who is responsible for what. For example, I question why the MTA's contractors would be doing what is described here (MTA Site P) and shown in the CO photo below:

Quote:
Mr. Mirante expressed confidence he could sign an anchor tenant in the next six months for the spot where Metropolitan Transportation Authority construction workers were digging out the first phase of the foundation.
Looking west from the HP&B between 34th & 35th streets (HP&B Block 2 according to the bid document shown in one of the other photos)

Commercial Observer Foundation for 3 Hudson Boulevard.

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 10th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old July 14th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #32
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Not sure when this photo was taken, some time on or before July 11th, but it's from a Business Insider article here.

Megan Willett/Business Insider

The landscaping looks nearly complete on the section between 33rd and 34th. North of there, some progress is evident. The annotation is pointing out the new subway entrances. You also have a great view of how tall Atelier 2 is getting! If only 10 HY went that fast...

Chadoh25, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #33
solgoldberg

Quote:
Not sure when this photo was taken, some time on or before July 11th, but it's from a Business Insider article here.

Megan Willett/Business Insider

The landscaping looks nearly complete on the section between 33rd and 34th. North of there, some progress is evident. The annotation is pointing out the new subway entrances. You also have a great view of how tall Atelier 2 is getting! If only 10 HY went that fast...
The HY FB has a very recent photo (below, bottom) of the ~same section. The BI reporter's photo shows the the incorrect "Block 2" feature as the secondary subway entrance, "MTA Entry" in diagram below.

Snip from CommercialObserver article http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...and-boulevard/

j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 20th, 2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #34
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Hmm, so those concrete crescents are going to be fountains? I didn't realize they were going to build another glass dome over the second entrance.

Old July 20th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #35
solgoldberg

Quote:
Hmm, so those concrete crescents are going to be fountains? I didn't realize they were going to build another glass dome over the second entrance.
I think the subway difference for block 2 (34-35) is that there is no elevator structure as now exists for block 1 (33-34). The CI article has hi-res photos if you click through.

And there is some below grade work, separate from the MTA acccess shaft/vent, going on at the 3 HB site

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 20th, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:31 PM   #36
solgoldberg

WSJ: 1st half HP&B "will open at the end of the year"

The WSJ article is behind a paywall, so all I have is:

Quote:
Manhattan
A Park Takes Shape In Hudson Yards District

The first half of a new park and boulevard running through the Hudson Yards District will open at the end of the year.

The 4-acre swath of green, which will stretch from West 33rd Street to West 39th Street between 10th and 11th avenues, is in the middle of a new neighborhood where The Moinian Group, Related Cos. and Brookfield Office Properties plan to build commercial and...
NY REAL ESTATE COMMERCIAL
What's the Deal

http://online.wsj.com/articles/whats...ons-1405965071

July 21, 2014 1:51 p.m. ET

Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:42 PM   #37
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Quote:
Updated July 21, 2014 1:06 a.m. ET
Manhattan
A Park Takes Shape In Hudson Yards District

The first half of a new park and boulevard running through the Hudson Yards District will open at the end of the year.

The 4-acre swath of green, which will stretch from West 33rd Street to West 39th Street between 10th and 11th avenues, is in the middle of a new neighborhood where The Moinian Group, Related Cos. and Brookfield Office Properties plan to build commercial and residential towers. The first three blocks, from West 33rd Street to West 36th Street, are slated to debut by year's end.

The Moinian Group's 66-story building—3 Hudson Boulevard—will anchor the park. The strip of greenery, which is 230 feet wide at some points, is bordered on either side by the boulevard's northbound and southbound streets.

The park will feature three fountains with lights, surrounded by benches and interspersed with garden beds, said Aron Kirsch, senior vice president of development at The Moinian Group. The park will have a cafe or concession stand as well as bleacher seating. Moinian's tower, which is awaiting an anchor tenant, will have a sky lobby with a sculpture terrace offering views of the park and boulevard, he said.

Entrances to the extension of the No. 7 subway line will emerge in the park, with glass canopies above the stairs and escalators descending into the station.
—Keiko Morris

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:18 PM   #38
solgoldberg

Quote:
Thanks for posting that.
Interesting: it looks like the source is the same as that of the CommercialObserver 7/9 article.

Assuming that Aron Kirsch of Moinian Group is correct and the first THREE (or two) blocks of the Hudson park/blvd open this year, who will use it (other than construction workers)? The nearly adjacent northern terminus of the High Line at the Rail Yards is supposed to open this fall, but the subway station will not open till 2015.
Maybe you'll be able to buy a meal in your car at the nearby drive-thru McDonalds and then park on Hudson Blvd northboaund (assuming the Blvd is open).

I wonder if the MTA's SiteP access shaft (future site of 3 Hudson Blvd, between 34th & 35th street) will still be open to the sky; October 2011 MTA Capital Construction photo below, viewpoint is looking up:

MTACC 34th Street Station - Site P Shaft & Stair Tower

And here's a 7/16 tidbit via "The South Texas New Leader" regarding nearby investment towards the northern end of HP & B (west side of park), specifically the SE corner of 38th street and 11th Ave . This section of the park (the second half?) would be built above the Amtrak Empire Connection/West Side Line. I assume this development will take out the existing auto repair shops & Central Park horse carriage stable.

Siras Development and Kuafu Properties Complete Acquisition of Premier Hudson Yards Development Site
Quote:
NEW YORK, July 16, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- A joint venture of Siras Development, a New York-based luxury real estate development group and Kuafu Properties, the New York-based Chinese real estate investment and development company, have announced that they have completed the acquisition of a prime development site in Midtown Manhattan's Hudson Yards, comprising five adjacent parcels located at the southeast corner of 38th Street and 11th Avenue.

The planned 380,000-square-foot mixed-use project, set to rise on the site directly across from the Jacob Javits Center, will consist of approximately 50 luxury condominium units in the top 15 floors of the tower; a 400-room high-end hotel situated on 20 floors; the Shanghai Club, an exclusive membership club for an anticipated international demographic occupying three floors; office space designed to attract the growing millennial generation workforce, and ground-floor retail and lifestyle space.
http://www.kiiitv.com/story/26034547...velopment-site

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 22nd, 2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:43 AM   #39
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Nice close-up from Curbed's recent photo deluge.

Photo by Max Touhey

Old July 23rd, 2014, 06:34 PM   #40
solgoldberg

Quote:
Nice close-up from Curbed's recent photo deluge.

Photo by Max Touhey
Yeah, it also shows that the 3 HB foundation work area (~NE corner of Site P) is clearly defined. AN MTA slide from years ago stated that the MTA contractor would clear SiteP (the future 3 HB site) down to rock, so I assume the Moinan? contractor is removing the fill that was placed on top of the cleared rock.

Good to see the durability of the orange vent duct passing thru the access shaft over the years...

BUT, how will users get from the currently depressed 33rd street (along photo bottom) up to the park when it opens later this year?

Tags
hudson blvd., hudson park, hudson yards, new york