daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:34 PM   #41
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

I keep asking myself the same question. Relatively speaking, I haven't been following NYC development for long, but I don't think it's common practice for developers to regrade city streets. Maybe somebody else knows...

I've never seen any detail suggesting this, but it would be cool if they built a platform over 33rd street on that block to form an extended pedestrian plaza contiguous with the HY Phase 1 superblock.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:59 AM   #42
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
BUT, how will users get from the currently depressed 33rd street (along photo bottom) up to the park when it opens later this year?
I've questioned the same -- I just assumed the platform being built would come up flush with the current Hudson Boulevard. So in other words, we'd be getting a "new" 33rd Street, but that's simply my speculation. If that were to happen, I'd assume they'd make level the "old" 33rd Street, and make it usable mechanical space. Have you heard anything official about what they plan for 33rd Street in that case?

Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #43
solgoldberg

Likes (Received): 866

Speculation regarding below-grade "guts" of NY, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
I've questioned the same -- I just assumed the platform being built would come up flush with the current Hudson Boulevard. So in other words, we'd be getting a "new" 33rd Street, but that's simply my speculation. If that were to happen, I'd assume they'd make level the "old" 33rd Street, and make it usable mechanical space. Have you heard anything official about what they plan for 33rd Street in that case?
I have read nothing official. IIRC J-biz and I and others speculated late last about what the Related/Oxford models indicated about the future intersection of 33rd st and Hudson Blvd North.

What I do know is that 33rd & 11th is built on a viaduct. The snip below from 2006 MTA 7 subway extension document shows the "11th Ave viaduct" and along with the built on viaduct 34th/1tth intersection:

MTA http://web.mta.info/capital/7line_do...%204-10-06.pdf

So I can speculate that "they" will simply extend the 33rd street portion of the viaduct further east, raising the current 33rd st around the Hudson Park/Blvd. That could also provide a below 33rd street passageway between the overbuilt LIRR yard electrical substation and the ?NY state? owned lot at the NW corner of 33rd & 11th. I'm assuming the LIRR & ConEd will need to retain a ROW for shuffling large electrical equipment on trucks between the LIRR substation and the regular street grid.
Keep in mind that the LIRR will still have that AC/DC substation and the rebuilt MoE buildings AND their workers under 30 HY/the retail podium.
And the relocated/modernized control room/"tower" for the yards which is currently part of the 2nd story of the substation structures at the SW corner of 33rd & 10th has to be built by Tutor Perini SOMEPLACE....

PLUS all that electrical equipment's heat (trains, substation, maintenance equipment, etc.) has to be transferred OUT of the overbuilt eastern rail yard.

In addition, IIRC, the MTA had discussed spending $10M? on perimeter flood protection of the yards post SuperStorrn Sandy. The yards/yard throat were the flood path for the Hudson River into the Amtrak Hudson River tubes...

The MTA CC photo below (looking north) provides an overview of the yards & 33rd/11th viaduct circa 2006. Note that the mid-day storage yards looked full in '06:

MTA CC

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 26th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
solgoldberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #44
Tubeworm

Likes (Received): 29

Thanks for that, solgoldberg!

I forgot about the challenges those railyards face even current-day (flooding potential, etc.), let alone soon contending with that area under an overbuilt. Regardless of what they have planned for 33rd Street, I'm sure they're going to be using it for quite some time still, given it seems like it's the best place to unload materials for the northern span of the platform and 30 Hudson Yards (they'll have time to think of how to utilize that space).

Tubeworm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 04:27 AM   #45
solgoldberg

Quote:

I forgot about the challenges those railyards face even current-day (flooding potential, etc.), let alone soon contending with that area under an overbuilt. Regardless of what they have planned for 33rd Street, I'm sure they're going to be using it for quite some time still, given it seems like it's the best place to unload materials for the northern span of the platform and 30 Hudson Yards (they'll have time to think of how to utilize that space).
Yeah. This is a complicated project.

Old July 27th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #46
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

I know it doesn't directly relate to Hudson Boulevard and Park, but what about this idea of decking over Javits Center from 37th Street to 41st and putting the new Madison Square Garden on top. They could re-work the 4th floor exhibit halls of Javits into the new front entrance to MSG.

Then there could possibly be sloping walkways westwards from Hudson Boulevard and south from 42nd Street up to the roof of Javits for additional external access to MSG.

Possibly they could make glass elevator boxes and elevator banks on 34th street that go to the roof of Javits on the south side as well. On the Hudson Side of the Javits roof they could have an outdoor section of concourse also.

Integrating the sloped ramps from Javits to Hudson Boulevard could be part of the plans for the "Javits Hotel".

The whole MSG complex could be built to look like a massive glass box extension of the IM Pei Javits Center below, and could integrate with Javits for certain extra large conventions.

Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #47
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
I know it doesn't directly relate to Hudson Boulevard and Park, but what about this idea of decking over Javits Center from 37th Street to 41st and putting the new Madison Square Garden on top. They could re-work the 4th floor exhibit halls of Javits into the new front entrance to MSG.

Then there could possibly be sloping walkways westwards from Hudson Boulevard and south from 42nd Street up to the roof of Javits for additional external access to MSG.

Possibly they could make glass elevator boxes and elevator banks on 34th street that go to the roof of Javits on the south side as well. On the Hudson Side of the Javits roof they could have an outdoor section of concourse also.

Integrating the sloped ramps from Javits to Hudson Boulevard could be part of the plans for the "Javits Hotel".

The whole MSG complex could be built to look like a massive glass box extension of the IM Pei Javits Center below, and could integrate with Javits for certain extra large conventions.
Keep in mind that the current MSG (since 1968?) is right on top of the bowels of the old Penn Station, which has tremendous passenger flow from Long Island & some portions of NJ. And both the east west & side of the Penn bowels are directly connected to major NYC subway lines.

A future MSG (2023+??) on top of Javits would have easy access to one NYC subway line (opening early 2015, I hope).

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 27th, 2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old July 28th, 2014, 02:00 AM   #48
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by solgoldberg View Post
Keep in mind that the current MSG (since 1968?) is right on top of the bowels of the old Penn Station, which has tremendous passenger flow from Long Island & some portions of NJ. And both the east west & side of the Penn bowels are directly connected to major NYC subway lines.

A future MSG (2023+??) on top of Javits would have easy access to one NYC subway line (opening early 2015, I hope).
By the time MSG has to move they might even put that 42nd Street Station together for the 7 Train also for even more options to get to MSG/Javits.

Wouldn't the 42nd Street 7 Train stop be at the northern end of the Hudson Park as well? I think they left room for a future stop on 42nd Street but didn't actually build it.

Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #49
solgoldberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1066 View Post
By the time MSG has to move they might even put that 42nd Street Station together for the 7 Train also for even more options to get to MSG/Javits.

Wouldn't the 42nd Street 7 Train stop be at the northern end of the Hudson Park as well? I think they left room for a future stop on 42nd Street but didn't actually build it.
I do not know what they did at the deleted station's location. Photo below is from the same 2006 MTA document. I assume the Javitz was NOT expanded when the photo was taken:

MTA CC 2006

ChuckScraperMiami#1, DanielFA liked this post
Old July 28th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #50
solgoldberg

Quote:

WRT the overbuild from the north side of Hudson Yards/south side of W33rd St:

They should start building out the Hudson Blvd overbuild plaza (my term, which I think is ~equivalent to Tubeworm's "northern span of the platform") over the middle, northern, ERY within a couple of months. They will use the initial, relatively narrow, "plaza"/blvd overbuild as a staging area/work platform to erect the BIG steel for 30 HY, for example. So I think we'll see the north-south grade of Hudson Park (& north Boulevard) across 33rd street soon. I'm assuming they will need a tempoary ramp or equivalent to get equipment or supplies UP from 33rd to the Hudson Park/Blvd/plaza level.

The snip below has the upper left green outlined rectangle (overbuild platform section) aligned with the Hudson Park Blvd northbound/eastern "street". The 33rd st vehicle ramp that this rectangle overlays has already been demolished and I assume 10th Ave vehicle ramp (on right) will be demolished in the next couple of months. I guess they could always drive in equipment from 10th Ave after that ramp is demolished and that retail podium overbuild platform section is built in it's place...

HY platform construction video 3/2014

And here's a twitpic from Ryan Hutchins (looking west from the AP HQ bldg) that shows the state ~one week ago of the two vehicle ramps:

@ryanhutchins 7/22/2014
https://twitter.com/ryanchutchins/st...777728/photo/1

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 29th, 2014 at 01:47 AM.
Old July 30th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #51
solgoldberg

ILNY(_) has posted a 7.26.14 east-looking photo that has a closeup of a SLIVER of the viaduct under 33rd (just east of 11th Ave). The sliver is at left/bottom: the barbed wire rolls atop the chain link fence that demarcs the LIRR rail yard from the rest of the city/state owned infrastructure.This viaduct is the one I ASSUME they(who?) will extend further east under 33rd.

ILNY(n_) 7.26.14
The enclosed concrete stairwell that is (my assumption) the emergency exit for the Amtrak Hudson River tubes is in the mid-distance on the left. This will also have to be modified if and when 33rd street get raised. The emergency exit stairwell is ~ the middle of HP&B. The ILNY(_) photo below is a closer view of the enclosed stairwell and gives an idea of the elevation differences between the 33rd st grade at the future HP&Blvd north bound (east of the stairwell), the rail yard "floor"'s downward slope to the bottom of the Penn Station bathtub, etc. under the AP HQ bldg, etc.

ILNY(_) 7.26.14
I assume the yellow caisson drill is still drilling caissons for the upcoming overbuild platform for the south-of-33rd-end of HP&B/plaza.

AND the snip below (from the 3/2014 platform build video) shows the first section of northern side/HP&B steel being erected, namely the "rusty" beams over the LIRR trains in the base image. I doubt the LIRR will have trains under the worker area when these plaza overbuild beams are actually placed...:

HY 3/2014 video

What does the dashed line between 30 HY & the 7 subway entrance in this curbed.com re-post diagram imply?

HY via http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ction_site.php

Last edited by solgoldberg; July 30th, 2014 at 11:21 PM.
Old August 15th, 2014, 06:21 AM   #52
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Curbed toured the site and posted oodles of photos today. A sampling is below.

All photos by Max Touhey.

Park/subway entrance between 33rd and 34th

Points north (can't quite tell what's between 34-35 or 35-36)

Old August 15th, 2014, 05:33 PM   #53
solgoldberg

Hudson Park & Boulevard photos from 8.14.2014

The photo below is taken from 35th street looking south along Hudson park Boulevard East. Blocks 1 & 2 (33rd to 35th streets) of HP&B have no HPB West, which starts at 35th street.
The photo gives you a context of the views of the park area. 10 HY is in the background to the left of Boulevard East (north bound Boulevard east will extend onto the HY overbuild platform once that is built), with the big red crane for 30 HY's platform in front of 10 HY.

j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:31 PM   #54
solgoldberg

Fairly decent overview photo of block 1 & 2

The Ben Fischer photo below gives a decent overview/contrast for blocks 1 and 2 of Hudson Park/Boulevard. His photo is looking north from 10 HY on the 8.20 media tour. Block 2 (34th-35th) is at photo top, with the 3 HB site at top left.

http://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/n...struction.html

Ben Fischer "The new terminal stop of the 7 Train, connecting Hudson Yards to the rest of the subway system, as seen from the ninth floor of Hudson Yards 10."
http://bizj.us/118mm7/i/13

Even after my on-site inspection of the are alast week, I am none the wiser as to how they will accomadte the 10? foot elevation difference between 33rd st and the south end of the park. The photo below is taken from top of the eastern access stairs to the MTA's 33rd street 7 subway vent building (looking east)and gives you another idea of the elevation diff. And also the amount of runoff from the park that is being emptied onto 33rd street: winter is 4 months away...Pigeons seemed to like to perch next to the drain pipes.

And for context, a slightly different viewpoint from the top of the MTA's access stairs:

Last edited by solgoldberg; August 22nd, 2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old September 12th, 2014, 02:15 AM   #55
solgoldberg

HP&B Phase I "mostly complete by January of next year"

This chelseanow article made me chuckle, in a cynical way.

CB4ís Benfatto Tapped to Head Hudson Yards/Hellís Kitchen BID

Added by admin on September 11, 2014.

Quote:
The BID is tasked with many responsibilities, but Benfatto says its primary concern is Hudson Park and Boulevard, which will be situated between W. 33rd St. and W. 39th St. between 10th and 11th Aves. Construction has been split into two phases. Within those two phases are blocks. Blocks one, two and three comprise phase one. Blocks four, five and six make up the second phase. The first phase is slated to be mostly complete by January of next year, Benfatto said.
- See more at: http://chelseanow.com/2014/09/cb4s-b....ZZMfomsZ.dpuf

Chelseanow.com: Photo by Scott Stiffler
The canopy, as it appears today. Located on 34th St. (btw. 10th & 11th
Aves.). Itís part of Hudson Park and Boulevard ó whose Phase I completion
date is Jan. 2015.

Old September 12th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #56
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Director of the HY BID.. talk about an easy job! Just sit back and let the developers do all the work.

j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #57
solgoldberg

schedule slippage...schedule slippage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Director of the HY BID.. talk about an easy job! Just sit back and let the developers do all the work.
I assume there is decent amount of coordination between the various government agencies and developers and contractors & maybe even regular citizens/"customers" such as you and I...

I wonder if the "mostly complete by January" 2015 is linked to the ESTIMATED 7 subway extension opening January, 2015 (maybe).

Maybe "they" will have 33rd street up on a viaduct to match the HP&B Block 1 elevation by the time HP&B Phase I actually opens (I am kidding)...

Last edited by solgoldberg; September 14th, 2014 at 05:02 AM.
Old September 21st, 2014, 12:34 AM   #58
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Progress. The portion between 33rd and 34th looks pretty much complete.

Untitled by jglover1028, on Flickr

The section between 34th and 35th is definitely coming along. I'd reason that they'll start bringing in dirt pretty soon.

Here's the second entrance to the new 7 station:

The section between 35th and 36th is still pretty rough, but they're definitely working on it. The green structure will be the cafe.

Old September 21st, 2014, 01:31 AM   #59
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2661

Is there a reason why they have installed such old fashioned street lights around here?
CODA Instagram

hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2014, 01:42 AM   #60
LastConformist

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella good View Post
Is there a reason why they have installed such old fashioned street lights around here?
It's the standard design for all NYC lights in parks.

j-biz, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
LastConformist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hudson blvd., hudson park, hudson yards, new york