daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #861
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!
 
JuanPaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 20,783
Likes (Received): 31740

Buenos Aires, Argentina


Puerto madero desde lo alto de la torre del Parque de la ciudad... by javierkabuto, on Flickr
__________________
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:11 AM   #862
martin15
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 19
Likes (Received): 23

Mexico City skyline it´s the one
martin15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #863
pierolol
piero
 
pierolol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stgo-Paris-Milano
Posts: 4,606
Likes (Received): 3511

__________________
Santiagollevameportuscallessenderodemontañaamar...
pierolol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 02:52 PM   #864
Marsupilami
Registered User
 
Marsupilami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Skien
Posts: 15,714
Likes (Received): 11263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgen View Post
I have a quick question. How can Santiago have a Height score of 8/10 and Panama City 7/10, if we take the 10 tallest buildings in latin america, 9 of them are in Panama City?


South America:

http://www.emporis.com/statistics/ta...s-southamerica

1

Gran Torre Santiago [Costanera Center] Santiago
60 984 ft 2014 2

Parque Central Torre Este [Parque Central] Caracas
56 738 ft 1979

Panama City:
http://www.emporis.com/statistics/ta...ma-city-panama

1

Trump Ocean Club International Hotel & Tower Panama City
68 961 ft 2011 2

Torre Vitri Panama City
75 921 ft 2012 3

Bicsa Financial Center Panama City
68 876 ft 2013 4

The Point Panama City
67 873 ft 2011 5

Arts Tower Panama City
80 866 ft
6

yoopanama inspired by Starck Panama City
78 810 ft 2013 7

Torre Waters Panama City
74 804 ft 2011 8

F&F Tower Panama City
52 797 ft 2011 9

Pearl Tower Panama City
70 794 ft 2011 10

Ocean Two [Ocean Towers] Panama City
73 774 ft 2010 11

Rivage Panama City
67 765 ft 2012 12

Megapólis, Torre 1 [Megápolis] Panama City
63 755 ft 2011 13

Q Tower Panama City
65 740 ft 2011

And Santiago de Chile is not even in the 100 top cities of the world? While Panama City is #19, and 1st in Latin America?
http://www.emporis.com/statistics/mo...ties-worldwide

But if you tell me Sao Paolo is #1, Panama #2, Rio #3, and Buenos Aires #4 I will believe you:
http://www.emporis.com/statistics/skyline-ranking
that is absolutely irrelevant. The problem with Panama is design and lack of urban planning. It is like brazilian cities. There must be at least 30 brazilian cities which you cannot recognize because all of the look the same: an endless sea of white midrises with tiny windows. I think Panama skyline is the most impressive of Latinia, but not the best.

Panama is the living example that less is more. I can tolerate those white buildings with those withe walls, but the giant vulva and the blue corkscrew are too much.
__________________
Rancagua-San Vicente de Tagua Tagua-San Fernando-Santiago-Santa Cruz-Hanga Roa-Concepción-Talcahuano-Cabrero
Chillán-Los Ángeles-Rengo-Cañete-Pucón-Osorno-Lican Ray-Castro-Puerto Montt-Puerto Varas-Puerto Octay-Frutillar-San Felipe
Ovalle-Coquimbo-La Serena-Copiapó-concón-Valparaiso-Viña del Mar-Machalí-Coya-Copiapó-Graneros-San Francisco-Pichilemu-Penco-Curicó
Rio de Janeiro-Cabo Frío-Búzios-Lima-Máncora-Piura-Chimbote-Huacho-Chancay-Buenos Aires-La Plata-Oslo-Bergen-Skien-Ulefoss-Hareid-Ålesund-Bø

BrickellResidence, Cirio liked this post
Marsupilami no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:20 AM   #865
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil
 
Andre Goth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 1,567
Likes (Received): 4246

RIO DE JANEIRO



Rio
by Caio Capela, on Flickr


Urca e Botafogo
by Caio Capela, on Flickr


Panorama_Sem Título9-6
by Bella_Scorzelli, on Flickr
__________________
O verde representa a cor da tradição no escudo da real da Casa de Bragança. O amarelo/ouro remete à cor da Casa de Lorena-Habsburgo

JustWatch, marcusflorida2 liked this post
Andre Goth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #866
Andre Goth
Império do Brasil
 
Andre Goth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Posts: 1,567
Likes (Received): 4246

More of RIO DE JANEIRO


Flamengo e Centro da Cidade - Centro - Praia do Flamengo - Parque do Flamengo - Aeroporto Santos Dumont - Santa Teresa - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil - Noturna - Noite
by Leonardo Martins, on Flickr


Panorâmica Pão de Acúcar
by Fernanda Pitaluga, on Flickr


Botafogo do Alto
by Cesar Okada, on Flickr
__________________
O verde representa a cor da tradição no escudo da real da Casa de Bragança. O amarelo/ouro remete à cor da Casa de Lorena-Habsburgo

AbidM, JustWatch liked this post
Andre Goth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #867
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,425
Likes (Received): 10284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
that is absolutely irrelevant. The problem with Panama is design and lack of urban planning. It is like brazilian cities. There must be at least 30 brazilian cities which you cannot recognize because all of the look the same: an endless sea of white midrises with tiny windows. I think Panama skyline is the most impressive of Latinia, but not the best.

Panama is the living example that less is more. I can tolerate those white buildings with those withe walls, but the giant vulva and the blue corkscrew are too much.
You didn't even address the point. He asked why Panama's height score was low and you respond that it was because of Panama's urban planning. How does urban planning figure into height? Height is the least subjective measure to score. It's rather simple, "which city has more tall buildings?" The answer is also simple: Panama City. So why is Panama City given a 7 when Santiago is given an 8? Whatever you think about Panama's urban planning has nothing to do with height. So it's not "absolutely irrelevant".

And whatever your opinions on the "Giant Vulva" and "Blue Corkscrew", shouldn't that be measured in "aesthetic" or "quality" rather than "height"? I get you are Chilean and want Santiago to be #1, but you can truly argue that Santiago deserves a better "height" score than Panama? 24 of the 25 tallest buildings between them are in Panama.
__________________


Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

messicano, Cirio liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:13 PM   #868
victor209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
You didn't even address the point. He asked why Panama's height score was low and you respond that it was because of Panama's urban planning. How does urban planning figure into height? Height is the least subjective measure to score. It's rather simple, "which city has more tall buildings?" The answer is also simple: Panama City. So why is Panama City given a 7 when Santiago is given an 8? Whatever you think about Panama's urban planning has nothing to do with height. So it's not "absolutely irrelevant".

And whatever your opinions on the "Giant Vulva" and "Blue Corkscrew", shouldn't that be measured in "aesthetic" or "quality" rather than "height"? I get you are Chilean and want Santiago to be #1, but you can truly argue that Santiago deserves a better "height" score than Panama? 24 of the 25 tallest buildings between them are in Panama.
I think the lack of urban planning does take into account of the height score. Most of Panama City's high rise buildings are apartments. It is such an eye sore seeing so many high rise apartment buildings within a skyline. Not only that but they look so similar to each other. It's like comparing New York City with Hong Kong. I believe Hong Kong has many tall building, but they are mostly high rise apartments. Where as New York City has a variety of skyscrapers. and the "Giant Vulva" and "Blue Corkscrew" just make the skyline worse to be honest. I'd rate Panama City like 4th to be honest.
victor209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #869
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader
 
Manitopiaaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Posts: 4,425
Likes (Received): 10284

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor209 View Post
I think the lack of urban planning does take into account of the height score. Most of Panama City's high rise buildings are apartments. It is such an eye sore seeing so many high rise apartment buildings within a skyline. Not only that but they look so similar to each other. It's like comparing New York City with Hong Kong. I believe Hong Kong has many tall building, but they are mostly high rise apartments. Where as New York City has a variety of skyscrapers. and the "Giant Vulva" and "Blue Corkscrew" just make the skyline worse to be honest. I'd rate Panama City like 4th to be honest.
I've never heard of a single person on this thread consider height anything but feet above the ground. I've heard of zoning as a category, urban planning as a category, beauty as a category. If you want to give Panama a 1 there, be my guest. But don't disguise it as height. The OP who made the ranking even had separate categories for aesthetics and density. If Panama's urban planning was problematic, those would have been the ones to place it in. But height is simple. Panama has 96% of the tallest 25 buildings between the two. Panama is building at least 10x the amount of highrises today that Santiago is building (and even though Panama slowed down this past year).

I personally think that Panama has more beautiful buildings than Santiago just because we have so many buildings and not all are bad. If Panama was able to pick 3 buildings and Santiago got to pick 3 buildings (which it cannot, because it only has 1 building over 200m), then Panama would likely win out because it has much more options.

I'd much rather have tons of tall white apartments than what Santiago has, which is 1 tall building and then a precipitous drop in density. And that's my biased opinion as a Panamanian. And you probably think it's garbage because you're presumably Chilean. Everybody has opinions. But when you talk height, I think that's purely objective and no amount of twisting and bending can justify giving Santiago a higher score, at least imo. If you think Santiago is a better skyline, then say so and be done with it. No need to have a ranking to add credibility when the results are just opinions anyway.



My list btw:
1st Tier
1) Panama City
2) Sao Paulo
3) Balneario Camboriu
4) Monterrey
5) Mexico City

2nd Tier
6) Santiago
7) Cartagena
8) Buenos Aires
9) Rio de Janeiro
10) Caracas
__________________


Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)

messicano liked this post
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #870
victor209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
I've never heard of a single person on this thread consider height anything but feet above the ground. I've heard of zoning as a category, urban planning as a category, beauty as a category. If you want to give Panama a 1 there, be my guest. But don't disguise it as height. The OP who made the ranking even had separate categories for aesthetics and density. If Panama's urban planning was problematic, those would have been the ones to place it in. But height is simple. Panama has 96% of the tallest 25 buildings between the two. Panama is building at least 10x the amount of highrises today that Santiago is building (and even though Panama slowed down this past year).

I personally think that Panama has more beautiful buildings than Santiago just because we have so many buildings and not all are bad. If Panama was able to pick 3 buildings and Santiago got to pick 3 buildings (which it cannot, because it only has 1 building over 200m), then Panama would likely win out because it has much more options.

I'd much rather have tons of tall white apartments than what Santiago has, which is 1 tall building and then a precipitous drop in density. And that's my biased opinion as a Panamanian. And you probably think it's garbage because you're presumably Chilean. Everybody has opinions. But when you talk height, I think that's purely objective and no amount of twisting and bending can justify giving Santiago a higher score, at least imo. If you think Santiago is a better skyline, then say so and be done with it. No need to have a ranking to add credibility when the results are just opinions anyway.



My list btw:
1st Tier
1) Panama City
2) Sao Paulo
3) Balneario Camboriu
4) Monterrey
5) Mexico City

2nd Tier
6) Santiago
7) Cartagena
8) Buenos Aires
9) Rio de Janeiro
10) Caracas
First of all I am not Chilean, I am American and I don't think neither is he. The skyscrapers in Panama City are so horrible that I would say that Santiago can beat it when it comes to beauty among other things. Just because you have a lot of skyscrapers don't really make a city that great. Anyone can build hundreds of ugly skyscrapers... Plus Panama City is no where near the ranks of these Latin American alpha cities.
__________________

Ego_Fonseca liked this post
victor209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #871
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!
 
JuanPaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawai'i
Posts: 20,783
Likes (Received): 31740

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor209 View Post
First of all I am not Chilean, I am American and I don't think neither is he. The skyscrapers in Panama City are so horrible that I would say that Santiago can beat it when it comes to beauty among other things. Just because you have a lot of skyscrapers don't really make a city that great. Anyone can build hundreds of ugly skyscrapers... Plus Panama City is no where near the ranks of these Latin American alpha cities.
We are ranking skylines here, not cities. Plus, if height is the parameter that was used to rank skyline then Panama City is without any doubt the #1 in Latin America.
__________________

JustWatch, Manitopiaaa liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #872
victor209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
We are ranking skylines here, not cities. Plus, if height is the parameter that was used to rank skyline then Panama City is without any doubt the #1 in Latin America.
It wasn't just ranked just as height... And what is this a "Biggest *****" contest? That's absurd!
victor209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 06:22 AM   #873
JustWatch
Master !
 
JustWatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lyon | Luanda
Posts: 5,693
Likes (Received): 12790

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
We are ranking skylines here, not cities. Plus, if height is the parameter that was used to rank skyline then Panama City is without any doubt the #1 in Latin America.
JustWatch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:38 AM   #874
pierolol
piero
 
pierolol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stgo-Paris-Milano
Posts: 4,606
Likes (Received): 3511

Don't make such a big drama! I think it's just a question that some people prefer beauty skylines and some others prefer massive skylines. Personally , the aesthetic factor it's the most important to evaluate skylines and that's why my favorite skylines are with no particular order Stgo, Mexico City, Rio and Buenos Aires.




Skyline - Santiago de Chile by alobos Life, on Flickr
__________________
Santiagollevameportuscallessenderodemontañaamar...

BrickellResidence, Ego_Fonseca liked this post
pierolol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 04:47 AM   #875
BrickellResidence
Moderator
 
BrickellResidence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 5,381
Likes (Received): 6570

I Agree, I personally think those are the best skylines in Lat Am, I prefer Elegant Skylines
Mexico City, Santiago, Rio, Buenos Aires, Monterrey, and Lima has potential
__________________

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #876
victor209
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 47
Likes (Received): 57

I also agree. beautiful skylines > Tall skyscrapers in a skyline. I'm waiting for Mexico City and Monterrey to have a finished elegant skyline
victor209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 08:09 AM   #877
Kilgen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,582
Likes (Received): 3373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
that is absolutely irrelevant. The problem with Panama is design and lack of urban planning. It is like brazilian cities. There must be at least 30 brazilian cities which you cannot recognize because all of the look the same: an endless sea of white midrises with tiny windows. I think Panama skyline is the most impressive of Latinia, but not the best.

Panama is the living example that less is more. I can tolerate those white buildings with those withe walls, but the giant vulva and the blue corkscrew are too much.
There are few cities that are well planned. I used to live in one (Boston), where I cursed its city planners for its lack of planning, specially how the roads were laid in the city, and some very idiotic decisions (central artery). Even with some of the latest fixes, there are many things to be fixed.

Even Santiago de Chile has its lists of problems. Just do a quick google search, and you have the same problems: traffic, lack of planning, etc. that you are complaining about Panama City.

Well, the Trump Tower is supposed to evoke a sailing ship, but if you see a giant vulva, hey the more power to you. Like Jerry Seinfield said: "Not That There's Anything Wrong with That"

And what is wrong to have highrises that are painted in white in the tropics? I can say the same thing about lots of dark color building in colder regions of the US and Europe, or in some cities that are just glass and more glass. That is why I dislike some winter Olympic events such as ice dancing, too many subjective values for scores.

That is why I prefer rankings that remove subjective values and only use concrete things for points such as this one:
http://www.emporis.com/statistics/skyline-ranking

Skyline Ranking

This listing ranks cities by the visual impact of their skylines. It is drawn entirely from statistics in this website's database, and reflects only completed high-rise buildings as defined by the Emporis Standards Committee (ESC). This calculation does not include TV towers, masts, bridges, or other structures. About the formula: Each building is assigned points based on its floor count. The point total for each city is calculated automatically and displayed.

Points per Building
12 - 19 Floors = 1 Point
20 - 29 Floors = 5 Points
30 - 39 Floors = 25 Points
40 - 49 Floors = 50 Point
50 - 59 Floors = 100 Points
60 - 69 Floors = 200 Points
70 - 79 Floors = 300 Points
80 - 89 Floors = 400 Points
90 - 99 Floors = 500 Points
100 or more Floors = 600 Points

Latin American Cities only (Global top 100, If I removed a city by mistake, I apologize in advance):

# City Population Area size Number of buildings Number of points points/building
8 São Paulo 11,316,149 1,523 mi² 5,734 17,859 3.1145797
18 Panama City 880,691 2,561 mi² 241 9,008 37.37759336
25 Rio de Janeiro 6,323,037 1,182 mi² 2,580 5,831 2.260077519
28 Buenos Aires 2,891,082 200 mi² 1,711 5,108 2.985388662
29 Recife 1,555,039 218 mi² 1,108 4,966 4.481949458
48 Mexico City 8,864,370 1,487 mi² 1,384 3,328 2.404624277
49 Curitiba 1,797,408 435 mi² 861 3,204 3.721254355
54 Caracas 2,762,259 1,930 mi² 1,116 2,840 2.544802867
59 Santiago 5,428,590 2,325 mi² 1,102 2,564 2.326678766
68 Balneário Camboriú 94,344 46 mi² 287 1,937 6.74912892
69 Fortaleza 2,431,415 313 mi² 583 1,907 3.271012007
75 Goiânia 1,244,645 739 mi² 354 1,791 5.059322034
80 Salvador 2,676,606 706 mi² 553 1,729 3.126582278
96 Belo Horizonte 2,412,937 331 mi² 531 1,339 2.52165725
100 Campinas 1,039,297 796 mi² 938 1,298 1.383795309


The stunning thing is that Panama City has a very high number of points with a very low number of buildings.
__________________

Manitopiaaa, marcusflorida2, Cirio liked this post

Last edited by Kilgen; February 15th, 2015 at 09:01 AM.
Kilgen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 08:17 AM   #878
Hia-leah JDM
Registered User
 
Hia-leah JDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,503
Likes (Received): 11304

Panama City is on a league of it's own in Latin America


Panama by Rémi Dechesne, on Flickr


Panama City by soupie1441, on Flickr
__________________

Manitopiaaa, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hia-leah JDM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #879
BRN-SP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: São Paulo
Posts: 249
Likes (Received): 200

São Paulo






















SP/Brazil
__________________
BRN-SP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 12:41 AM   #880
BrickellResidence
Moderator
 
BrickellResidence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 5,381
Likes (Received): 6570

Monterrey


San Pedro Garza Garcia
by Skratroulette, on Flickr

__________________
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
south america

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu