daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old January 24th, 2005, 11:12 PM   #1
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

CHICAGO | One South Dearborn | 571ft | 39 fl | Com

I figured I'd start a new thread for construction progress on 1SD. So, here's everything I've taken so far (including some early renderings) and some new shots (taken today) at the very end. Please please please feel free to add to this *cough* Devyn *cough* !!!

rendering of the east facade

rendering of the base (looking southeast)

rendering of the entire structure (looking northeast)

construction status: 8/2004

construction status: 8/2004

construction status: 10/2004

window detail: 10/2004

construction status: 12/2004

construction status: 12/2004

construction status: 1/2005

More to come at some point.
geoff_diamond no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:58 AM   #2
Monadnock

Likes (Received): 0

Wow! This building appears to be much better than I'd dared hope, especially after seeing the heavy black (granite?) facade on the Dearborn side of the site. It is very light - I especially admire the design's deft handling of different opacities of glass on the curtain wall.
Monadnock no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #3
ThirdCoast312

I'm curious to know how parking ever got to be included in the design of the buliding. I thought no parking structures were allowed within at least block from the elevated loop structure. Am i wrong or did the developer just pull a few strings?
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #4
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I wasn't aware of that rule ThirdCoast... is it part of the new code? Couple of things though: 1) the building isn't within a block of any elevated lines (the closest would be on Wabash - a block and half away). 2) The approval and construction of 1SD started before the new code took effect anyway, so, it would have been grandfathered in.
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:29 AM   #5
Rivernorth
Vertigo City

well... you have the Dearborn Street Subway right there... im sure that still counts

If 1SD has no parking, then all the better. People should take Metra/CTA to work in the Loop.
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #6
ThirdCoast312

this has been a code around along time, that's why you don't see parking structures in the center of the loop elevated structure, except for underground garage at the federal center. to clarify what i meant is that no parking is allowed within the loop elevated structure, except garages are allowed within one block of the inner loop structure, haven't you guys ever wondered why parking garages seem to cluster in certain areas around wells and around lake street, well now you know, because that's the closest parking garages can get to the inner loop. But perhaps that zoning code doesn't exist any longer or as i said the developers could of pulled a few strings like creating a plaza (an unneeded one at that, there's one across the street) in exchange for a parking within the building.
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:24 AM   #7
24gotham
Formerly InTheLoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
I figured I'd start a new thread for construction progress on 1SD. So, here's everything I've taken so far (including some early renderings) and some new shots (taken today) at the very end. Please please please feel free to add to this *cough* Devyn *cough* !!!

Geoff, Thanks for the update and pics!

This building is turning out OK, save for a large amount of black granite. As for the parking thing, I have to agree that they probably got some kind of exception in order to get approval for the parking, and the plaza may have been the deal maker. While I would agree we don't really need another plaza, this one isn't very big, and it is directly on the corner, so I think it will be nice. I also like the fact that they had enough sense to set the building back from Dearborn St, so as not to obliterate the view of the Inland Steel building (which is one of my favorites in the Loop).

I am guessing you took this pic (of my apartment ) from your balcony. (only the arrow is pointing at 1SD.) If only you had let me know, I could have left a light on or something.

Formerly "InTheLoop" of Chicago.
24gotham no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #8
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Ahh... sorry for the misunderstanding ThirdCoast. Now what you said makes lots of sense

Anyway Dev - next time I'm gonna take a shot I'll give u a holla so you can hang ur bald head out ur window ... oh... btw... I lost ur card somewhere along the line... u should shoot me an email or sumthin.
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:11 AM   #9
Packerguy

Thank you for the pictures of One South Dearborn. It is going to be another nice building in the loop.
Packerguy no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM   #10
northsidesoxfan

Two pictures from the east taken on 2-21-05. First one is from Randolph. Second is from Millennium Park.

northsidesoxfan no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:27 PM   #11
AJphx

Likes (Received): 9

thanks for the update!

yep its visible from the park, although, I wonder how much further up it has to go?
AJphx no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:07 PM   #12
itsnotrequired

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJphx
thanks for the update!

yep its visible from the park, although, I wonder how much further up it has to go?
I don't think it will be going up much higher. The concrete core hasn't changed height for months. I imagine any additional height would come from some mechanical enclosures on the roof.
itsnotrequired no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2005, 07:30 PM   #13
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Yeah, she's pretty much topped out.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:16 PM   #14
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Yeah, she's pretty much topped out.
I think that it will be considered topped out once the last steel beam is in place, but you all are correct. It's not going any higher.
BVictor1 no está en línea  
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #15
FarNWburb
Rockford, IL

AJphx... just a visual referance for you. The Bank One Center (131 S Dearborn) at the left of the top pic is 39 floors and 580 feet tall. One South Dearborn is 39 floors and 571 feet. Pretty much exactly the same height.
FarNWburb no está en línea  
Old February 23rd, 2005, 05:26 AM   #16
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I know Butler... that's why I said "pretty much"
Old February 25th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #17
7 World Trade
Long live the Twins!

can't wait to see how the top of the building will turn out. it should be quite interesting to see...
The Ground Zero Rebuilding Scandal- Justin Berzon's complete story of the WTC rebuilding scandal
Proud fan of NASCAR drivers Kevin Harvick and Scott Wimmer
7 World Trade no está en línea  
Old February 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #18
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Just a quickie shot I grabbed on my way by this afternoon.

Old March 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #19
northsidesoxfan

I present one of the weakest photos ever posted to the forum. I took it from a friend's apartment near North and Wells. Snapfish's automatic reduction in resolution adds to the pathos.

Last edited by northsidesoxfan; March 4th, 2005 at 11:33 PM.
northsidesoxfan no está en línea  
Old March 5th, 2005, 04:38 AM   #20
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that picture

But, I'll a crappy one of my own that I grabbed today on my way by. The steel columns that will frame the white curtain-like feature at the top have begun to appear (although, you really can't see them in this shot).

Closed Thread