daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2014, 07:01 PM   #21
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Really nice! Honestly looks like a mansion rather than a church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Hatred as I would expect. No wonder so many people died in French, Russian and Spanish revolutions. Given the right conditions, it would happen all over again. It's much intolerance, hatred.
I'm going to be intolerant of the regime of religion which murdered more than anything else in history, hinders the equal treatment of all individuals in society, and teaches irrational thinking in order to worship an invisible power-hungry psychopath. All for the economic gain of the church leaders. You are right- a revolution should occur against religion, which has inspired more hatred than anything else.

GodIsNotGreat liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:10 PM   #22
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19041

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I'm going to be intolerant of the regime of religion which murdered more than anything else in history, hinders the equal treatment of all individuals in society, and teaches irrational thinking in order to worship an invisible power-hungry psychopath. All for the economic gain of the church leaders. You are right- a revolution should occur against religion, which has inspired more hatred than anything else.
So you are proposing killing people, right? Not that I'm surprised. You type of people have done it just yesterday. Also, all your posting in the SSC is creepy.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:17 PM   #23
ThatOneGuy

Where did I say that?

A revolution against religion woudn't go around killing religious people. It would put emphasis on science/logic in the schools, and on the equal rights that religion hinders for many members of society. How many atheists kill for atheism? None. How many religious kill for religion?
Also, don't resort to personal insults. Like I care what others think.
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:34 PM   #24
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 19041

You were brainwashed by the evil, bizarre regime that controlled your country for so many decades. It's useless to argue: too much violence, hatred, prejudice deeply rooted.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:49 PM   #25
ThatOneGuy

Again with the insults, man. My parents fought in the Romanian revolution, because Ceausescu enforced an idiot doctrine that didn't work. True atheism is against doctrines (it supports free thought, and asking questions, not blind obedience), which is actually why the only thing that can count as an "atheist revolution" is for those old religious doctrines to be forgotten. It will take years, maybe even centuries, but it is happening.

And to not disrupt this thread any longer, I'm ending here.

geysers38 liked this post
Old June 1st, 2014, 07:53 PM   #26
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7646

Quote:
Really nice! Honestly looks like a mansion rather than a church.
There is actually an Adventist church from the 1920s in my neighbourhood that was converted some years ago into house.

Me and a friend acted as potential buyers a few months ago, so we went to visit it. The church being protestant does not have much in terms of architectural details, but nonetheless has some interesting accents. It was selling for something like $1.5-1.6 M.
Ulpia-Serdica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:57 AM   #27
ThatOneGuy

Such conversions in Bulgaria? I'm surprised, but there's probably even less in Romania
We are building a stupidly big church in Bucharest that will dominate even more than Ceausescu's Palace.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 01:01 AM   #28
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

No. I live in Montreal, Canada. In Bulgaria, this will definitively not happen anytime soon.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:19 AM   #29
grs1

Likes (Received): 4

there is a church to private residence conversion in wichita that is on the market asking for 3.5 million. its ridiculous. it will never sell for even 1 million. i agree with yuri that it is a sad phenomenon.
grs1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:05 AM   #30
Ulpia-Serdica
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs1 View Post
there is a church to private residence conversion in wichita that is on the market asking for 3.5 million. its ridiculous. it will never sell for even 1 million. i agree with yuri that it is a sad phenomenon.
What would be your solution? Taking in consideration that attendance is declining and they still need to be maintained?

It is much better to find new meanings to these churches rather than letting them crumble. Some are even being transformed into book stores or supercomputing center.

Quote:
BK Architecten transformed the old Church, called Broerenker into a beautiful bookstore. It’s located at the Dutch town of Zwolle, Netherlands. Broerenkerk church was built in 1466 and renovated the summer of 2013 in library Waanders.

http://www.wherecoolthingshappen.com...ore-in-zwolle/

Quote:
Located in Maastricht, Holland this 13th century Dominican church has been transformed by the architectural firm Merkx + Girod in a project known as Selexyz Dominicanen Maastricht. The massive 1,200 square meter church was built all the way back in 1294, and although it has been updated for modern day use it still maintains many of the original characteristics and design elements.

http://inthralld.com/2012/06/13th-ce...ry-in-holland/

Quote:
MareNostrum is a supercomputer in the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, the second most powerful in Spain and one of seven supercomputers in the Spanish Supercomputing Network. The supercomputer is housed in the deconsecrated Chapel Torre Girona at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain.

http://www.bsc.es/about-bsc/gallery/...r-torre-girona
Old June 2nd, 2014, 03:50 AM   #31
grs1

Likes (Received): 4

at least the housing conversions are being filled with life. the computer sanctuary is depressing.
grs1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:07 AM   #32
ThatOneGuy

I think it juxtaposes well, scientific progress in an anti-science surrounding. I really like that first library, though.
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:39 AM   #33
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1066

Science and learning replaces dogma. The significance of this is powerfully illustrated in these pictures.

Very nice.
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:05 AM   #34
Quall

Likes (Received): 462

"My house has cathedral ceilings"

"Oh yeah?"
Quall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2014, 04:59 PM   #35
Utopian
Custos Septentrionum

Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
I think it juxtaposes well, scientific progress in an anti-science surrounding. I really like that first library, though.
I've visited both bookstores (recently in Zwolle, and Maastricht a couple of years ago), and I found them both to be very beautiful. The bookstores are in both cases inserted very respectfully in the old monuments.

I quite like the idea of using abandoned church buildings for secular purposes, What other kind of use is there when a church has been abandoned?
There is nothing disrespectful about it (as someone earlier in this thread put forth).
Had the Church behaved a little bit better, and had it kept up with modern science and morality, these buildings would not have been abandoned. But the church has not done those things (on the contrary), and instead of demolishing their now empty shells (which unfortunately has happened a lot around the world), these sometimes magnificent buildings are now put to good use. Be it appartments, bookstores, discoteques and clubs, art exposition rooms, or whatever.

In The Netherlands you can find a former church building that is transformed to another use in almost every city, town and village. The examples above (Maastricht and Zwolle) are two of the most spectacular examples.
A lot of them are in mixed use: exhibitions, beer festivals, conventions, shops, all in the same building. I think that is a more moral thing to do then just destroy the churches when the religion leave them to rot (or destroy the buildings themselves).

- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Utopian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:41 AM   #36
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5327

faceplam for Yuri wich can't seem to leave his religious bias against modern society out.
a hint for you: Don't leave the pastoral grounds and community you're living in. The outside world may scare you.
-------------------------

Other than that this is a wonderfull thread. I don't know of any churches in Belgium that have been rebuild in residences yet. Most old churches that are disused are rotting away because the state isn't going to provide money to heat and repear a disused space and the golden days the church had money enough are long gone.

However I know of a handfull art galeries in churches overhere.

In Belgium catholic tradion is somewhat stronger than in the Netherlands. People still like to have their children do their communion because it's tradition, or have a funeral, wedding at a church ect... Most people younger than 40 only set food in church for commune, wedding and funeral as tradition. But for the real church going people, I'll give it another ten years before most churches are completely empty.

There are 4 churches in my suburban village. 2 are abandoned by the catholic church itself, no mass has taken place there since 2003. 1 church is still in use and has a shared priest with several other churches of other villages and only one mass each week. The last church was bought by the city and is now used for exhibitions.
Old June 4th, 2014, 02:57 AM   #37
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
How many atheists kill for atheism? None. How many religious kill for religion?
Let's see according to media.

The USSR murdered people, which the USSR supported atheism.
Communist China.
North Korea.
Vietnam.
Cuba.
Communist Afghanistan.

All murdered to get rid of religion and spread atheism.

How many Christian groups murdered people in the last 100 years? None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodIsNotGreat View Post
Science and learning replaces dogma. The significance of this is powerfully illustrated in these pictures.

Very nice.
If you support Atheism, how about bashing Judaism and Islam? They are threatening society as we speak.

Quote:
Spirituality is a scam that holds no more weight in the modern world. Religion teaches us to be closed-minded towards others, and to obey an invisible dictator mindlessly and relentlessly. Those who don't are tortured until the end of time. Do we want this in today's society? And we don't need religion to be good to others - we can do that ourselves.

If more churches are converted into residential areas, we will not only have strong, spacious, beautiful houses, but it will provide a lot more people with homes instead of wasting all that space on religious hot air. If they're converted into art and science halls, people can learn much more about the real world instead of the fake world religion sells. We can keep some churches original as a museum - just like all the relic churches of the Ancient Greek religion of which Christianity will suffer the same fate.
What year did you come from? 1970s USSR, communist?

Let's bash political correctness. What about those mosques? Mosques are far more harmful than churches as they spread terrorism by promoting people in Europe to fight for Islam in Syria for example, where is the Mosques converted into houses thread? Because I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post
A great deal of communities in Europe and North-America are moving to a post-Christian era and churches are losing their followers and ultimately their raison d'être.

The bigger ones are kept into museum type buildings, maintained by the state, but what to do with the smaller ones that often do not have the same historical importance, yet are still architecturally interesting and worth preserving.

Although I consider myself an atheist, I do enjoy the architectural beauty of churches and do not want to see them destroyed but rather adapted to the modern world.

There have recently been some beautiful conversion of churches into residential quarters. Let us share some of them.
Ohh, so its the post Christian world. What about Mosques and synagogues? They are just as worthless, and we should convert mosques and synagogues into houses too. Or else those institutions will promote evil among the free thinking and scientific world. Mosques and Synagogues must be turned into useful housing ASAP. We don't need them wasting our resources for such destructive dogmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Very depressing thread. Society is completely giving up its cultural, spiritual heritage (which allowed it to build such beautiful structures) to replace it with nothing, but consumerism and obsessive self-promotion on social networks. The future of this civilisation is not promising.
Welcome to the Western World. Many people here don't believe in a religion spiritually. Many people value money more than friendship... Where social networks replace social relationships, and where there is no eye contact. You can thank liberalism for this. (And also Feminism.) ...Where Consumerism is god. Don't dare write "Consumerism" with a lower case "c" or the wraith of mega-corporations will punish you with extra high prices!

Yuri S Andrade liked this post

Last edited by Сталин; June 4th, 2014 at 03:36 AM.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #38
ThatOneGuy

All those countries were Stalinist, so they killed those who were not communist, it replaced religious dogma with political dogma that happened to have no room for religion. It was authoritarian. Iran, Iraq and other authoritarian religious countries also killed people. Authoritarianism kills people, not atheism.
Communism teaches you not to question. Religion teaches you not to question. Atheism as an idea promotes discovery, asking questions, and getting rid of indoctrination.

Quote:
What year did you come from? 1970s USSR, communist?

Let's bash political correctness. What about those mosques? Mosques are far more harmful than churches as they spread terrorism by promoting people in Europe to fight for Islam in Syria for example, where is the Mosques converted into houses thread? Because I'm looking forward to seeing that.
My family fought against Ceausescu to have people accuse me of this...
Ceausescu did not promote free thought and inquiry, nor did USSR, nor does religion.

Mosques, synagogues, temples are all equally as guilty as churches are for the stifling indoctination they spread.

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:00 PM   #39
Huggkruka

Likes (Received): 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post

How many Christian groups murdered people in the last 100 years? None.
Enjoy your reading for tonight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

A bit provocative, but saying "X group never murdered people" is a silly statement and I won't let it stand. You could probably find self-proclaimed pacifist groups that have murdered people if you look hard enough.

Though on the flipside, churches are beautiful and represent some of the best western heritage. As buildings they are extremely successful in their interpretation of awe and heaven. Modern churches also gives a chance for architects to practice according to a very different ruleset.

And to contribute a bit to the actual thread:

A modernist 50's church already being converted, this one in Münster into a kindergarten by Bolles+Wilson.

All images: http://inhabitat.com/mid-century-chu...en-in-munster/

ThatOneGuy liked this post

Last edited by Huggkruka; June 4th, 2014 at 09:08 PM.
Huggkruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:08 PM   #40
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpia-Serdica View Post
Conversion of the late 18th century St. Nicholas Georgian Church, by Kyloe, Northumberland, England

Very sad and depressing.

A formerly great civilization disintegrates and its former sacred places are vulgarized and destroyed - not by invaders but by its own barbarians.

They even have the former hymnal panel. Stalin would have been delighted.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis

Yuri S Andrade, CrispyPuppet liked this post
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
churches, residences