daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #41
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
All those countries were Stalinist, so they killed those who were not communist, it replaced religious dogma with political dogma that happened to have no room for religion. It was authoritarian. Iran, Iraq and other authoritarian religious countries also killed people. Authoritarianism kills people, not atheism.
Communism teaches you not to question. Religion teaches you not to question. Atheism as an idea promotes discovery, asking questions, and getting rid of indoctrination.

Mosques, synagogues, temples are all equally as guilty as churches are for the stifling indoctination they spread.
Then where are the threads for the mosques and synagogue that are being converted?

If only Christianity is destroyed, then it will only allow even worse religions to spread their dogma through unbalance as Europe was mostly Christian and tried to stop other religions.

Also the states listed where officially Stalinist states. And Stalinism did not live long after Stalin.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #42
TimothyR
Ike

Likes (Received): 2085

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri S Andrade View Post
Very depressing thread. Society is completely giving up its cultural, spiritual heritage (which allowed it to build such beautiful structures) to replace it with nothing, but consumerism and obsessive self-promotion on social networks. The future of this civilisation is not promising.
I agree completely. I would say this civilization is already dead. Now the foundations are being ripped out.

“In keeping silent about evil, in burying it so deep within us that no sign of it appears on the surface, we are implanting it, and it will rise up a thousand fold in the future. When we neither punish nor reproach evildoers we are thereby ripping the foundations of justice from beneath new generations.”

“The meaning of earthly existence lies not, as we have grown used to thinking, in prospering but in the development of the soul.”
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"We are more closely connected to the invisible than to the visible"

-Novalis
TimothyR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #43
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1446

We've had dozens of beautiful large churches torn down in Chicago, but there have been many many more turned into condo buildings. There are three or four of them right near my house. I was just reading yet another large church is coming down for a new condo highrise north of downtown.

I don't care at all about religion, it's so outdated, but I do love some of the older buildings and would love to keep them.

I do admire the church right nextdoor to my condo buildings, it's quite pretty.

socrates#1fan liked this post
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:43 PM   #44
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

There is no mosque or synagogue thread but I'd be happy if there was one. I'm not saying only christianity should end. All should end and be replaced with logical and more open-minded thinkng. All the "good" aspects of religion can be found without religion. But the indoctrination that blinds you from the real world is unique to religion.We are only holding on to the religions in the modern day because people are too scared to delve away from their parents' beliefs, or they've been preyed on by religious groups in a low point in their life where they lost sanity.

GodIsNotGreat, tonttula liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 4th, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #45
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1446

Here's a pretty one in Chicago:

And then there's this, 4 religious buildings all on one corner all converted to condos and houses:

ThatOneGuy, Ulpia-Serdica liked this post
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 02:05 AM   #46
Сталин
BANNED

Quote:
There is no mosque or synagogue thread but I'd be happy if there was one. I'm not saying only christianity should end. All should end and be replaced with logical and more open-minded thinkng. All the "good" aspects of religion can be found without religion. But the indoctrination that blinds you from the real world is unique to religion.We are only holding on to the religions in the modern day because people are too scared to delve away from their parents' beliefs, or they've been preyed on by religious groups in a low point in their life where they lost sanity.
Cults like Scientology are pretty bad. And they do go at people's low points to get them to join.

It is just that we are not at the level of having government and consumerism work with us. In fact, consumerism, capitalism, and the governments that supports it are working against us. Which is why being an "open-minded" atheist wont work. You should read Edward Bernay's work, he is who founded most concepts in the Western world. The West follows his dogmas. He should be worshiped by the West. Not some crappy "open mindedness" because open mindedness does not really exist.

Also since most people know that society is not as great as Hollywood portrays it, is another reason why people want and need help from otherworldly dimensions. Do you really think that all the homeless people would be happy being "free thought" atheists? They would suicide one by one. They still need hope from another world... And so do many of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggkruka View Post
Enjoy your reading for tonight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

A bit provocative, but saying "X group never murdered people" is a silly statement and I won't let it stand. You could probably find self-proclaimed pacifist groups that have murdered people if you look hard enough.

Though on the flipside, churches are beautiful and represent some of the best western heritage.
I will use ThatOneGuy's logic. Those groups believed in twisted ideas, which where not Catholic. Therefore Christianity has never killed anyone in the past 100 years.

Last edited by Сталин; June 5th, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old June 5th, 2014, 02:18 AM   #47
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 18995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
I don't care at all about religion, it's so outdated, but I do love some of the older buildings and would love to keep them.
The Church has been around for 2,000 years and religion is as old as the mankind. Murderous anti-religion fads come and go, but they'll stay forever.

I've posted this once but it fits perfectly here: the Church is art, philosophy, science, civilization in their most sublime form. She survived crazy Roman emperors, plagues, wars, greedy States stealing from her, cheap but yet genocidal ideologies and the list goes on and on. It's not angry, vacuous-minded, weed-smoker, semi-illiterate people who will pose any challenge to her. They'll soon be dead while the Church will remain till the end of times as Christ himself promised. And of course, haters gonna hate.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 02:24 AM   #48
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5325

And religious whiners are going to whine untill eternity. If you are so determined in the words of a book wich is written by a lunatic in a cave and god shall prevaile in the end, quit the whining allready about a few disused churches being put to a better use.

Marbur66 liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 03:06 AM   #49
Yuri S Andrade

Likes (Received): 18995

Envy, hatred, resentment... The usual.
Yuri S Andrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #50
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

More like.... indifference. Have been wondering by the way whether this thread should belong in urban planning and redevelopment.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #51
grs1

Likes (Received): 4

ikops, there is a moderator over in the india section who is saying that western governments are giving india wheat that causes infertility. really i don't care about the usual anti americanism except to respond with a little sarcasm but this is way too far. especially from a mod.
grs1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 02:17 PM   #52
GodIsNotGreat

Likes (Received): 1066

I hope to see in my lifetime the conversion of Saint Peter's Basilica into a museum, or something other than a symbol of superstition.
GodIsNotGreat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM   #53
joshsam
JR

Most of the vatican is a museum anyways and the church makes millions of Euro's on tourism in the vatican buildings

GodIsNotGreat liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #54
Сталин
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
And religious whiners are going to whine untill eternity. If you are so determined in the words of a book wich is written by a lunatic in a cave and god shall prevaile in the end, quit the whining allready about a few disused churches being put to a better use.
Religious winners will win for eternity.

I'd follow what some guy in a castle wrote rather than what some weed snorting hippie wrote from a mental hospital. Clergy where not idiots in their time, they had status and power. The ideas you get for "open mindedness" and liberalism and feminist atheism comes from weed smoking hippies in the 70s. Look at the clergy, they are honored by people till this today. Hippies, on the other hand, today are old wrinkly farts that probably can't even read anymore from frying their brains on acid.
Old June 5th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #55
joshsam
JR

Why'd you think I'd follow hippies and drug snorting people? I didn't recall mentioning that.
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM   #56
ikops
Supermoderator

Likes (Received): 2661

Okay, there is no need to discuss religious matters here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs1 View Post
ikops, there is a moderator over in the india section who is saying that western governments are giving india wheat that causes infertility. really i don't care about the usual anti americanism except to respond with a little sarcasm but this is way too far. especially from a mod.
You'd have to specify that a bit more.
ikops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #57
grs1

Likes (Received): 4

this thread has inspired me to aim for perfect attendance at my church. lets all check in here on sundays.

Yuri S Andrade liked this post
grs1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #58
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Where did I say that?

A revolution against religion woudn't go around killing religious people. It would put emphasis on science/logic in the schools, and on the equal rights that religion hinders for many members of society. How many atheists kill for atheism? None. How many religious kill for religion?
Also, don't resort to personal insults. Like I care what others think.
Look, I'm agnostic and my personal belief is that human made religions are, by their nature, wrong.

But at the same time, this utopian idea of a religion free society built on logic and science isn't going to happen. Humans are intrinsically spiritual or religious on some level. It is in our nature to derive spiritual and transcendent meaning from things.

If you are waiting for religion to die, you are going to be waiting until the extinction of man.

Rather than having a hatred for this part of our nature, we should learn how to shape it better and refine it.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #59
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Oh look, it's a church that was converted to apartments and stores in the '80s in The Netherlands!

Grote Kerk, Hoorn
Old June 7th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #60
TheReconstructer

Likes (Received): 176

Maybe posting pictures and posts about churches that were converted to whatsoever instead of bragging at each other would be nice

Tags
churches, residences