daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2014, 07:19 AM   #1
SkyTrekTower

Likes (Received): 14

ORLANDO | The Skyscraper at SKYPLEX | 174m | 570ft | Pro

After not hearing anymore about the similar system proposed for Las Vegas, or the one supposedly heading for a sports park in the U.S. state of Georgia, Orlando seems to be the furthest along in their plans to build a polercoaster and observation tower system.

I must say, I first heard about a polercoaster coming to Florida many months ago, but after multiple upcoming announcements only to have silence, I assumed this project was dead.

Quote:
World’s Tallest Rollercoaster and Entertainment Complex
“The Skyscraper™ at SKYPLEX™” To Electrify Orlando Skyline in 2016
Mango’s Tropical Café Orlando and SKYPLEX Will Bring ‘Ocean Drive to I-Drive’

#Skyscraper #Orlando #SKYPLEX

ORLANDO, Fla. (June 5, 2014) – David and Joshua Wallack, the owners of Mango’s Tropical Café Orlando and Mango’s Tropical Café South Beach, today announced plans to develop the world’s tallest roller coaster The Skyscraper™ and the lavish SKYPLEX™ indoor entertainment complex at International Drive and Sand Lake Road.

The Skyscraper at SKYPLEX, the towering coaster to be built not far from the soon-to-open Orlando Eye 425-foot ferris wheel, will alter the Orlando skyline dramatically. The $200 million SKYPLEX will comprise approximately 495,000 square feet located on 12 prime acres. SKYPLEX will break ground in 2015 and is expected to open in 2016. Along with Mango’s Orlando, SKYPLEX will be bringing an irresistible dining and new nightlife vibe to the International Drive district.

“Next to our theme parks, International Drive is one of the most recognized icons of Orlando,” said Visit Orlando president and CEO George Aguel. “It’s exciting for our tourism community to see this type of investment being made to continuously raise the bar on the dining and entertainment experiences we offer across our destination.”

The Skyscraper at SKYPLEX is 570 feet tall and will feature the first Polercoaster built. This mega-thrill ride is a vertical rollercoaster created with coaster-length tracks featuring “all the other thrilling mayhem” of a great coaster experience, but “in a very small footprint,” according to Michael Kitchen, President of US Thrill Rides, the Orlando based company that created the ride.

Bill Kitchen, Founder of US Thrill Rides and creator of the Polercoaster said "Not only will the ‘Skyscraper’ coaster be the world’s tallest, we believe it will be the most thrilling. There will be incredible heart-pounding inside and outside loops, dives, spirals and inversions like the world has never seen."

The SKYPLEX observation deck at the tip of the tallest structure in Central Florida will offer views 535 feet from the ground. To get there, visitors will ride in the region’s tallest glass elevators.

“We’re extremely excited about creating a record-breaking, must-try attraction on International Drive,” said Joshua Wallack, Mango’s Tropical Café chief operating officer, who also will open a Mango’s Orlando next year across International Drive from SKYPLEX. “Nowhere in the world will you have two iconic structures like The Skyscraper and the Orlando Eye. This will be an incredible opportunity for International Drive. ”

Wallack and his father David are partners in the mixed-use development that includes opportunities for additional attractions, entertainment, interactive venues, restaurants and retail to include a two-story prime retail space on International Drive. The SKYPLEX indoor entertainment complex including the observatory and restaurant and lounge at the top of the Skyscraper was designed by global architectural firm HHCP, based in Orlando, and will be constructed by Euforria, a construction management division of Winter Park Construction, based in Winter Park, Fla.

*snip*

What began as a search for multi-acre valet parking site for the Mango’s project mushroomed into a whirlwind of negotiations for additional land after Wallack was contacted by US Thrill Rides as to their interest in building the world’s first Polercoaster ride. The Wallacks rolled up five contiguous sites comprising 12 acres of land with 300 front feet on International Drive near Sand Lake Road and were soon collaborating with US Thrill Rides to license and develop the Polercoaster, which they now dub “The Skyscraper.” SKYPLEX will include a 1,500-car parking garage with a valet parking option.

Mango’s Tropical Café in Orlando, opening in 2015, will be a world-class restaurant and nightlife entertainment destination in the heart of the International Drive district and just one mile from the Orange County Convention Center. The restaurant, with 55,000 square feet of entertainment space, live bands, shows and dancing, plus gourmet dining and event packages, will have a parking garage next door to it.

The Wallack family has built a reputation as entrepreneurs and philanthropists in Miami with the Mango’s Tropical Café South Beach restaurant. The Wallacks have pioneered the innovative Community Partnership Program in Miami Beach benefitting Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami Beach, which has yielded more than half a million dollars in the past two years. The Wallacks plan similar philanthropic activities in Central Florida.
http://mangos.com/skyplex/

I'm not sure if this is simply proposed, or it it has been approved. Either way, I'm excited, and I can't wait to see this completed.

All photos from http://mangos.com/skyplex/

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; June 7th, 2014 at 12:09 PM.
SkyTrekTower no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #2
nipz

Likes (Received): 106

DO NOT LIKE
Old June 8th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #3
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

Yeah, I can't say I'm impressed. Pretty tacky looking tower.
Old June 8th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28269

Nice for tourists, that's all
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1205

Looks like a joke!
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #6
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2623

You won't say that when you ride it.

Mplsuptown liked this post
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:09 AM   #7
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10289

I like it. Orlando knows its audience and it will go over well. Not everything has to be a Calatrava to be worthwhile.

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #8
SkyTrekTower

New renderings of the coaster have been released. The structure also looks a lot better in the renderings, it loses the scaffolding look for a lattice work similar to Tokyo Skytree.

Quote:
Thrill seekers should be pleased with what International Drive's new $250 million, 495,000-square-foot Skyplex entertainment complex has planned for 2017.
Today, the companies behind the project — Mango's Tropical Cafe and US Thrill Rides — unveiled at the International Association of Amusement Parks & Attractions Expo the first ride-along video of the complex's centerpiece attraction — the 570-foot-tall Skyscraper polercoaster. The top of the coaster will have an observation deck accessible by elevators. Also, the complex will accommodate tourists with an 1,800-car parking garage.
Video and full story at link:

Orlando Business Journal

ukiyo liked this post
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:49 PM   #9
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

I'm curious. I hope this gets built. I would ome to the usa only to visit this
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 02:42 PM   #10
F-L-A

Likes (Received): 32

Height of the tower, from the FAA:

Shaddorry, SkyTrekTower liked this post

Last edited by F-L-A; November 23rd, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
F-L-A no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:04 PM   #11
SkyTrekTower

Thanks for that find.

Well, that is a lot taller than I was expecting, I guess the 570ft is just the coaster.
Old November 23rd, 2014, 04:07 PM   #12
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

How much is that in meters?
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #13
ShadderdGlass

Likes (Received): 123

Well this shall be another interesting project to be built... The tower is odd IMO but it adds color and height.

Tags
polercoaster