daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #161
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 792

Last two projects shown here easily piss on most projects in Chicago and a big chunk of those in NYC. They look modern, beautiful and human-friendly. However, I would reserve those empty plots in the city centre for reconstructions of beautiful historic buildings demolished over time, a practice not unknown to Detroit. Modern architecture can be built right next to the city centre, since it's all unbuilt. Sadly, I don't believe there is a demand for such projects in Detroit, both seem unrealistic. Who knows, we'll see...

BTW, how is Detroit doing economically these days? Did it get better in the last years since it filed for bankruptcy?

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #162
Leshommes

Likes (Received): 49

There is certainly demand. Office occupancy rates are extremely high and more companies like Linkedin, Adient and Microsoft are moving in downtown, the city needs this space.

Demand in housing is very strong: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...oit/104928998/

The haters and the people who don't know anything about the city should really keep to themselves, Detroit is a major city.
Leshommes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 07:35 PM   #163
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshommes View Post
There is certainly demand. Office occupancy rates are extremely high and more companies like Linkedin, Adient and Microsoft are moving in downtown, the city needs this space.

Demand in housing is very strong: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...oit/104928998/

The haters and the people who don't know anything about the city should really keep to themselves, Detroit is a major city.
Forgive me for questioning the demand for office and housing space in a city that has spent the last 50 years demolishing its buildings because of vacancy and economic decline. Thank you for sharing the link, but calling me a hater for giving a logically made opinion is not cool. I would be the happiest person if Detroit manages to revitalize itself and start booming again and attracting new businesses, which now seems to be the case, but the city was at its worst just 4 years ago, it's not unreasonable to think that such large projects are a little bit unrealistic (I'm not saying they are, it's just a logical conclusion given the circumstances). Anyway, I hope those buildings will be built, and I hope many more projects will follow, Detroit might actually end up being the most beautiful major city in the US.
Old August 30th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #164
mike1115

Likes (Received): 135

Detroit seemed to hit a critical mass of destruction where it suddenly become "in" to help the city out by starting to invest in it. There's nothing wrong with that and it's a typical thing where a lot of people want to help the underdog. Detroit has some amazing architecture that is sorely missing in a lot of other American cities and it's a great thing to see it being restored. Detroit should also serve as a wake up call of sorts for other American cities that spread out too far; infrastructure overall is cheaper to maintain when it's densely clustered than spread out over thousands of miles of roads, sewers, etc.

Titan Man liked this post
mike1115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 08:07 PM   #165
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Re: The Book Tower.
I've never dealt with a rehab/preservation effort that large so this thought just occurred to me: Can they do something that would allow them to remove the exterior stairwell and still retain any historic designation status? (Not sure if it's on the National Register though I'd assume so) I know adding/upgrading proper stairwells inside would east up a lot of room, and I don't even know if there's a clear channel inside they could use on all the floors, but it's such a beautiful structure and it's pains me seeing that fire-escape stair case just tacked onto the side like that.

Thrilled the building is being dressed up, though.
Old August 30th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #166
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The stairwell is the first thing I imagine when I think of the Book Tower. I hope they don't take it down, they should just restore it.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #167
Leshommes

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Forgive me for questioning the demand for office and housing space in a city that has spent the last 50 years demolishing its buildings because of vacancy and economic decline. Thank you for sharing the link, but calling me a hater for giving a logically made opinion is not cool. I would be the happiest person if Detroit manages to revitalize itself and start booming again and attracting new businesses, which now seems to be the case, but the city was at its worst just 4 years ago, it's not unreasonable to think that such large projects are a little bit unrealistic (I'm not saying they are, it's just a logical conclusion given the circumstances). Anyway, I hope those buildings will be built, and I hope many more projects will follow, Detroit might actually end up being the most beautiful major city in the US.
I wasn't referring to you about the haters comment, it was directed at the people saying stupid things like "Detroit can fool itself all it wants".

People draw these conclusions based on alternative facts about Detroit, the Detroit area is actually very wealthy and currently doing good economically.

Titan Man liked this post
Leshommes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #168
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshommes View Post
I wasn't referring to you about the haters comment, it was directed at the people saying stupid things like "Detroit can fool itself all it wants".

People draw these conclusions based on alternative facts about Detroit, the Detroit area is actually very wealthy and currently doing good economically.
Oh, glad we made that clear, as I really want Detroit to succeed. It's a beautiful city with extraordinary architecture that needs to be restored. I agree with mike1115, the city should rebuild itself with dense, urban neighbourhoods, not endless suburban areas with relatively small population whose services can't be financially maintained for long. I actually believe in a future in which Detroit will become a 21st century model for other American cities in regards to urbanism and architecture.
Old September 13th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #169
ThatOneGuy

The Third Precinct police station from 1897 is being restored/converted

Old September 13th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #170
AndyMEng

Likes (Received): 52

Hey so I have a question:

What kind of cleaning/painting product do you use on all that decorative tin soffit and fascia?

Asking for a friend

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The Third Precinct police station from 1897 is being restored/converted

AndyMEng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #171
el palmesano
Roquetero

Likes (Received): 20143

great!!
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #172
AbidM

Likes (Received): 1427

The french certainly knew how to build cities, this and New Orleans are on my to go list in terms of cities.
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York
AbidM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 06:43 AM   #173
ThatOneGuy

I don't remember if this was posted, but the long-abandoned art-deco David Stott tower is finally undergoing complete restoration to its original condition.

Titan Man, AbidM, Dichtefan, hercre, erbse and 1 others liked this post
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:45 AM   #174
smokiboy

Likes (Received): 149

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier on this thread or elsewhere but I think Detroit would be an excellent choice for Amazon to locate it's second HQ in. It would be a very bold move indeed. Tones of empty office buildings, abundance of vacate land, well connected airport, eastern and yet centrally located city, close to Canadian market. One down side might be lack of skilled workers. But this could be overcome by setting up training courses for the inner city residents. It would be very gutsy of Amazon to do this, but of course doubt very much it would happen.

d.henney liked this post
smokiboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #175
ThatOneGuy

Detroit Fire Department Headquarters, now Foundation Hotel

Before:

After:

Old November 17th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #176
ThatOneGuy

This derelict mid-century motel will be restored/converted into micro-apartments

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...art_river_home

Titan Man, el palmesano liked this post
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #177
Geocarlos
Moderador

Likes (Received): 8118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian001 View Post
Detroit can fool itself all it wants over the current development proposals for downtown.

I do not wish ill upon the city. I really don't. Because I believe that a high tide lifts all boats. And having worked in Detroit for a number of years makes it a place that I'd like to see succeed.

But just drop your Google Maps Guy onto any intersection just outside of downtown and you will see for yourself the devastation that is the reality of the city.

Like Here.

Or here.

Maybe here.

Or Here.

Even farther afield. (And yes, this was just a random choice on Google Maps.)

The point is that almost no other Midwestern city has acres of abandoned land just outside of downtown like Detroit does. In fact, I doubt any American city has this amount of devastation other than perhaps New Orleans in some areas.

The best thing Detroit can do is offer these vacant properties at a steep discount to developers but mostly to private citizens. Cheap land surrounding a revitalized downtown can spark development that will catapult Detroit right back into the 21st Century and help make it a desirable destination for families.

(OK, yes, the whole public school issue is a can of worms by itself.)
But what do you think Detroit needs to do to overcome this situation?

New developments and revitalization of old deteriorate blocks will attract new investments and people will consider Detroit again as a atractive city to live in.....

Detroit needs to start rethinking everything again ... and apparently it is doing it ... it will take several years to see Detroit renewed, but it certainly will.

Kind regards!
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #178
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 59338

^ It really is on the right track. There might be large abandoned swathes of the city, but that doesn't mean these can't come back to life. It just takes time. Some will become parks, others will become residential areas or mixed urban quarters again.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #179
erbse
LIBERTINED

Great to see this complex revitalized:

Shinola Hotel Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
A forumer over at SSP found some quality images on reddit of the Shinola Hotel renovation and new construction project. The thing is going to be absolutely stunning when construction wraps up:

Woodward Side

Farmer Side

Alley Between

Last update at Curbed Detroit seems to have been from late August. Photos by Michelle & Chris Gerard.

Aerial of the site from Barton Malow:

Farmer Side:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...03460&page=220

More great news:

Google signs office lease in downtown Detroit

Google has finalized its plans to move downtown with a lease signing for a new office space alongside the Little Caesars Arena, company officials announced Monday.

The 29,000-square-foot office will be at 52 E. Henry St. More than 100 employees will occupy the space following the move planned for spring 2018.

City Cityzen liked this post
Old November 28th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #180
erbse
LIBERTINED

And some more revitalization, larger blocks are now being redeveloped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmichigan View Post
City Modern at Brush Park is well under construction. Though, I'm still not 100% all of what is under construction. I know for sure the multi-family "flats" buildings are being built at the moment along with some of the existing renovations. It appears some carriage homes and town houses are also under construction, so maybe the duplettes are the only thing not under construction?

Photos by Michelle & Chris Gerard

The different types of housing in the development. Flats are in dark blue:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...03460&page=220

Tags
abandoned detroit, detroit, michigan, ruins of detroit, urban decline