daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments

General Urban Developments Discussions of projects shorter than 100m/300ft. Also, please post all other threads not specified in other Development News subforums here.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2014, 04:05 AM   #1
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

NEW YORK | Solar Carve Tower | 13 fl | Pro

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...appen.php#more

I'm a little surprised there isn't a thread on this already so I went ahead and made a new one.

After running into some roadblocks, this building recently got approved from the Board of Standards and Appeals (after applying four times!) and the firm, Studio/Gang, is "working towards finalizing the design in 2015."

From Curbed: "According to Studio/Gang, Solar Carve's serrated edge and asymmetrical curves are all in the name of using "angles of the sun's rays to sculpt building form." The design, full of reverse setbacks and all geometric-like, helps it avoid casting shadows on the High Line and also still allows views of the Hudson."

Some renders:

erbse, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #2
LondoniumLex
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2064

I read this week that Gang's masterpiece is coming soon!

Here's the site on Wed.

The Meatpacking Dist is amazing.

Just north of the MP Dist are Chelsea's stunning side streets.

Old May 17th, 2015, 03:39 AM   #3
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Great news! Here's the article (i'm assuming) if anyone's interested. http://nypost.com/2015/05/12/meatpac...nants-in-2016/

Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 9th, 2015, 11:57 PM   #4
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Permits Filed & New Look: Solar Carve, 40 10th Avenue, Meatpacking District

Quote:
Renderings for the futuristic Solar Carve at 40-56 Tenth Avenue first surfaced three years ago, long before the city shot down a variance that wouldíve allowed the developer to build bigger on a rather challenging site in Meatpacking. William Gottlieb Real Estate finally got approval for the office tower last year, and last week, they filed new building applications for the tower next to the High Line.

The plans donít tell us much, but they do say the building will top out at 12 stories and 190 feet. Itíll host 116,205 square feet of commercial space, including two floors of retail topped by 10 floors of office space. The second floor will have a terrace, which will presumably be accessible for the office tenants above.

Jeanne Gangís Studio/Gang Architects, based in Chicago, will still design the project. The shape of the building appears to have changed somewhat, but in general, it looks a bit more traditional and less wedge-shaped.

Originally, Gottlieb had asked the Board of Standards and Appeals if he could build 34% larger than zoning typically allows. At the time, the firm claimed it needed the extra floor area because the site was unusually shaped and the High Line covered 10% of the property. Preservationists opposed the extra bulk, and the BSA ultimately disapproved the application. Gottlieb got a greenlight for the project on its fourth try, by requesting only setback and height modifications.

The site at the corner of 13th Street and 10th Avenue measures 23,541 square feet. Itís still home to a fairly decrepit three-story warehouse, and demolition plans havenít been filed yet.

Gottlieb is partnering with Aurora Capital Associates to develop the building.

Although Meatpacking is an ideal neighborhood for office development, a combination of landmarking and restrictive zoning make it quite difficult to build or expand office space there. Meanwhile, the city is helping subsidize new office buildings a few avenues east in Union Square, where it just released a request for proposals to redevelop the old P.C. Richards store.

streetscapeer liked this post
Old February 23rd, 2017, 02:35 AM   #5
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

More info on the project, and new pics.

New tower to serve as Meatpacking ‘light house’i
http://nypost.com/2017/02/21/new-tow...g-light-house/

Quote:
The so-called Solar Carve Tower office building at 40 Tenth Ave. in the Meatpacking District is ready for the light of day.

Developers Aurora Capital and William Gottlieb Real Estate have hired Bruce Mosler to lead a Cushman & Wakefield team to lease the 139,000-square-foot boutique building that should open in the first quarter of 2019.

Jeanne Gang’s Studio Gang architects designed the structure with chiseled edges, most notably on the southwestern facade, to provide light and air to the neighboring High Line park as well as to the office project at 860 Washington St. to its east.

“It won’t be like our views, but they will still have views,” explained Jared Epstein of Aurora. Marketing is now beginning for the new building, which is being developed entirely on spec.

The building is almost directly opposite the upcoming Barry Diller Pier with Pier 57 (aka SuperPier) a block north. “All of our floors have unparalleled views of the Hudson River,” added Epstein.

Tenant amenities will include a 10,000-square-foot planted rooftop as well as an 8,000-square-foot terrace on the second floor at High Line height.

Light will pour into the lobby from a glass floor and stairwell that connect directly with the second-floor terrace. Except for the seventh floor, all the office floors will have private terraces.

The targeted LEED Silver project will have backup generation as well as a bike room and locker room with showers for those who want to commute or simply take a run or a ride before or after work.

“There is nothing like this building,” said Mosler, whose company was also in charge of leasing 860 Washington. He expects it to appeal to a variety of firms, including tech, boutique financial, entertainment and fashion or those that may simply want to combine a store with offices upstairs. “We are excited not just about the location but the product we deliver,” said Mosler. “It will be unique to the Meatpacking, which is exploding with excitement.”

The narrow, rectangular office floors will range in size from 13,700 to 14,200 square feet, with windows running from the floor to the 16-foot-high ceiling — all to provide abundant light, views and a connectivity to the natural environment.

“Each floor is slightly different because of the carve of the building,” added Epstein.

Studio Gang’s design follows the sun throughout the year, allowing it to pour around the “carves” that now create an hourglass of diamond-shaped facets as it turns inward from the middle.

bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by Ghostface79; February 23rd, 2017 at 02:42 AM.
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:11 AM   #6
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

I don't like how everything's crowding the High Line like this ... there should be a height restriction one block from the Park ... no more than 2 stories above the Park should be allowed right next to the park ...

And all new construction in the blocks on either side of the High Line should be public amenities not offices or residences.
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 01:08 AM   #7
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 24914

Studio Gang’s High Line office building gets new renderings

Andre_idol liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 08:02 AM   #8
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Excavation is well underway!

The amazing park will go behind and to the right of that metal archway by the river.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

TowerVerre:) liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 09:15 AM   #9
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1152

The park recently faced a lot of problems to actually get build.
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:40 AM   #10
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Excavation is well underway

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

streetscapeer, BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote