daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Megatalls

Megatalls Discussions of projects under construction at least 600m/2,000 ft tall.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #41
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8365

Also have my doubts. It just screams vision, that the project is a landmark more than it serves a money making purpose just makes it really low on the credibility list if visionary buildings. Think Azerbaijan tower has a better chance of getting built.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #42
missionshak

Likes (Received): 0

Wuhan Phoenix Towers project 1600m x 2 Pro

A British architect has unveiled plans to build the world's tallest towers in the central Chinese metropolis of Wuhan – two adjacent kilometre-high spires that could help purify the city's polluted air and water.

London-based Chetwoods Architects presented the Phoenix Towers plans to Wuhan's mayor about six months ago, said its chairman, Laurie Chetwood. Pending official approval, the practice hopes to break ground by the end of the year.

According to its website, the project will be "an iconic landmark within an ambitious environmental masterplan for Wuhan", a city of 10 million people on the Yangtze river. The project will span 47 hectares and cost an estimated £1.2bn.

Computer renderings published online show the steel and concrete towers glowing like hot pink, space-age Eiffel Towers, their buttresses spanning an island in the middle of a lake.

"This is a big iconic statement that says 'this is Wuhan, look at us, we're here,'" Chetwood said. "But it's an environmental statement as well. It would help to improve the area."

The towers have been designed to incorporate elements from traditional Chinese culture. Together, they represent the phoenix – "feng" and "huang", a pair of mythical Chinese birds. The feng, or "male" tower, will supply renewable energy to the huang, or "female" tower, a "softer" space with cafes, restaurants and a 100-storey vertical garden.

According to the website, the towers will power themselves with green energy technologies such as "lightweight photovoltaic cladding", "suspended air gardens" and "waste recycling via biomass boilers". The feng tower will be fitted with wind turbines, and it will use solar power to suck polluted lake water up through an advanced filtration system.

A commercial square at the towers' base will cater to China's growing demand for cultural tourism. "You'll have a French street, a Japanese street, a Turkish street and so forth … to allow people to see the world without necessarily having to leave China," Chetwood said.

He said the firm was working with two Chinese companies on the project – the Beijing-based HuaYan Group and the CITIC Group, a state-owned investment company.

"If you work in the UK, if you come up with anything that's off the wall or slightly out there, you sort of get kicked back," he said. "In China it goes the other way – they ask for a bit more. That's a stimulating experience for a designer."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-china-phoenix
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:47 AM   #43
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6561

we've a thread already: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1732887

close this please

pteranodon liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:50 AM   #44
Jay

Likes (Received): 1865

This is why we need a "Visionary" section... many many supertalls proposals should be there instead of here.
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #45
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16068

Developer?

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:37 AM   #46
cd7890

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
This is why we need a "Visionary" section... many many supertalls proposals should be there instead of here.
seconded,we really do need something like that,it couldnt hurt at all as far as i see
cd7890 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #47
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloripaNation View Post
It looks completely fine, the only problem is if it will actually be built. It seems unlikely that it will since it is only a vision, so I'm not sure what the people who don't like it are complaining about. But if this tower is built, it will push our limits even further for even higher skyscrapers and that is something that we should all like about it.

maxer liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #48
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What I like is that people are still imagining great visions for architecture; that futurism isnt dead. Visions like these are good once in a while.

sweet-d, big-dog, EMArg, Orion602, HRP4Life liked this post
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 11:37 PM   #49
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8607

Quote:
Phoenix Towers, Wuhan, China

One of four master plans Chetwoods are developing for Hua Yan Group in Central China’s new ‘Fourth Pole’ economic and cultural engine zone, where Wuhan has recently been re-designated an environmental city of the future by the regional and central governments.

Phoenix Towers will be an iconic landmark within an ambitious environmental master plan for Wuhan, the capital of central China. Situated on the Yangtze River at the crossroads of nine provinces, the ‘City of 1000 Lakes’, population 10 million, has recently been designated an environmental ‘Super City’ by the regional and central government.

At 1km high the Phoenix Towers will be the tallest pair of buildings in the world. The 47-hectare site (the towers cover 7 hectares) on an island in a lake at the end of a 3km avenue within a dense city layout will provide long vistas. Arching bridge-like over the surrounding boulevards, each tower will have a unique personality and attributes: the Feng tower will lean towards the commercial zone, the Huang tower towards the cultural and recreational zone.

The project’s key emphasis is on the harmonious combination of 21st century Western technological know-how and experience with Chinese tradition and culture. In response to the Client’s wish to develop a new style of architecture that emphasises Chinese identity, the use of a pair of towers reflects the dualist elements of Chinese culture in contrast to a more Western monolithic form.

The scheme will provide the environmental catalyst to re-invigorate the city, actively avoiding the disastrous consequences of developments elsewhere in China. It will form the nucleus of a wider green strategy linking Wuhan’s lakes environmentally and socially with the region’s landmark destinations and lake district along a 20km Green Wall of China to a new lakeside cultural tourist destination.

This landmark project will showcase social, economic and environmental sustainability within China, providing an entertaining and instructive experience for local people and visitors.

Design features: Based on the traditional Chinese Phoenix – two birds, male Feng and female Huang; The plan was generated from Yin/Yang form to represent perfectly balanced union; Symbiotic – the Feng tower uses cutting edge technology to feed the Huang tower with renewable power.

Environmental features: Lightweight photovoltaic cladding; thermal chimneys; suspended air gardens; wind turbines; water harvesting/recycling; waste recycling via biomass boilers; hydrogen fuel cells at ground level. The towers will generate their own power requirement while contributing to the surrounding district.

Structural features: Steel superstructure; concrete core with ‘hat’ truss; trussed structure at base; out-riggered for lateral stability; concrete buttresses.
http://chetwoods.com/portfolio/phoen...s-wuhan-china/

ilovecoffee liked this post
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 12:23 AM   #50
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2750

I can't find Hua Yan Group on Wikipedia, can any of our Chinese users tell us about them?
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 04:35 AM   #51
DarkShadows1966
Construction Updater

Likes (Received): 460

I like the design. Let's hope that it gets built

------------------------------------------------------
ROCK ME AMADEUS -Falco
Vote here: https://goo.gl/CbXQB7
DarkShadows1966 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:49 AM   #52
null
Mind Reader

Likes (Received): 1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I can't find Hua Yan Group on Wikipedia, can any of our Chinese users tell us about them?
http://www.hyhouse.com/

it's a actully a shanghai based company.

Huayuan Group is Beijing based, but i really dont know if they got the right spelling.
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:50 PM   #53
rlw777

Likes (Received): 489

What a joke. These are never getting built. Looks like someone bedazzled the kingdom tower with planets and made it structurally unfeasible.
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:57 PM   #54
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

This "design" is an insult to the city of Wuhan.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #55
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
This "design" is an insult to the city of Wuhan.
Why? I don't know if this will get built but the design is very futuristic imo.

Orion602 liked this post
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 02:35 AM   #56
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Another article from CNN. I actually kind of like them and hope it does get built. Anything one kilometer high in my opinion, deserves a shot. We shall see...
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #57
BarbaricManchurian
来了就是深圳人

Likes (Received): 6896

Still don't like it. But there's no reason for the government to decline its approval. This one might get built after all.
BarbaricManchurian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #58
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

I wonder what the globes between the twin towers are, some giant decoration or for any purpose?
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #59
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
I wonder what the globes between the twin towers are, some giant decoration or for any purpose?

This is what the article I posted said...

"Three large spheres containing celestial-themed restaurants accessible via "skywalks" will be suspended between the two towers.
The spheres "represent planets orbiting the Towers," according to the designers."

If true, and it gets built, I think those would be some pretty awesome restaurants to eat at

big-dog liked this post
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #60
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I can't see this ever happening. Just look at the base, and the weird stuff floating around it. One of the globes doesn't even seem to be connected to anything.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
megatall