daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 19th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #21
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I'm glad that we sign the specific locations instead of setting "motto" signs like in Italy, which confuse the driver and create situation unawareness. All speed cameras in Spain are signed, like in France or the UK.

It doesn't seem so confusing...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #22
xrtn2

Likes (Received): 17481

Quote:

I'm glad that we sign the specific locations instead of setting "motto" signs like in Italy, which confuse the driver and create situation unawareness. All speed cameras in Spain are signed, like in France or the UK.
Here in Brazil too.

AsHalt liked this post

Last edited by xrtn2; June 19th, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
xrtn2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #23
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
As far as I can tell, every single speed camera in Sweden and Norway is signed in advance. This is really effective to get traffic to drive the posted speed limit.
Quote:
All speed cameras in Spain are signed, like in France or the UK.
That's interesting; so Germany follows a very different "philosophy". Most cameras in Germany are not signed. Police and enforcement forces are regularly stating that "drivers have to count always and everywhere on their speed being controlled".

One also should mention that German speeding fines are moderate in comparison with other Western European countries. Enforcement follows the "lawn mower" principle: if you regularly trim your lawn, you don't need to cut much every time (i.e. when controls occur frequently, you do not need to impose high fines).
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 09:48 PM   #24
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
In Spain we have several types. In most of the country you'll find this on:

Version with white background for non-motorways:

[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRta_q-iv8iejc5SC-gyO55rehkV7ueqX4NFhaLSfk7Q2dveu-9[/IMG]
"Por su seguridad" (for your safety) is doublespeak. If anything, the sign should read "Por su din€ro" (for your mon€y).
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #25
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Scandinavian drivers are more controlled. They don't drive at very high speeds, even if the road allows to do that. Sure, some people speed up after such a sign, but it's not like they are driving as fast as the road allows. Most people stay within a reasonable margin of the speed limit.
Not because people are controlled, but because of crazy speeding fines.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2014, 11:03 PM   #26
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Otherwise they would drive 170 km/h everywhere they can, like in Poland? I doubt that. Scandinavians drive defensively. That is also reflected in the fact that (except perhaps for Finland), Scandinavian countries are in the top 5 safest countries in Europe.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

riiga liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #27
Angelos

Likes (Received): 446

Speed doesn't kill, carelessness does.
Angelos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #28
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malina PL View Post
Poland:

"Speed control"

"Speed camera"
And behind this sign, is box for camera, but not always there is camera inside the box!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tiburon View Post
"Por su seguridad" (for your safety) is doublespeak. If anything, the sign should read "Por su din€ro" (for your mon€y).
Indeed it is quite insulting. I wonder how the sign can persist without "modification"
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:39 AM   #29
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos View Post
Speed doesn't kill, carelessness does.
Plain wrong.
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #30
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

In Italy there's not a standard sign for speed cameras:

On motorways:

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #31
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Otherwise they would drive 170 km/h everywhere they can, like in Poland? I doubt that. Scandinavians drive defensively. That is also reflected in the fact that (except perhaps for Finland), Scandinavian countries are in the top 5 safest countries in Europe.
It's even more surprising considering that those countries have icy and snowy roads for several months a year.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:32 PM   #32
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Otherwise they would drive 170 km/h everywhere they can, like in Poland? I doubt that.
I believe that there are shades of gray in the World, too, not black and white extremes only.

Quote:
Scandinavians drive defensively. That is also reflected in the fact that (except perhaps for Finland), Scandinavian countries are in the top 5 safest countries in Europe.
But where is the chicken and where is the egg?

For instance, the key traffic safety indicator, fatalities per traffic performance (=kilometers driven), is currently about one sixth of the peak value of early 1970's in Finland. The most dramatic drop took place in late 1970's when the country-wide speed limits and compulsory seat belts were introduced. I am pretty sure that the figures were rather different without strict traffic control measures. If you drive 170 km/h on any road in Finland, you can say goodbye to your driving license for months.

My feeling, based on experience, is that the traffic culture in Denmark and Sweden is gradually turning more aggressive, less aggressive and more disciplined in Finland, and staying flat in Norway.

Last edited by MattiG; June 20th, 2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typo
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #33
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Nobody's a saint. Changes in behaviour depend solely on enforcement.
Old June 20th, 2014, 03:51 PM   #34
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Not common sense and a wish to live another day?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #35
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Not common sense and a wish to live another day?
Everybody wants to live another day, it's human, but why some drive according to this and others don't? Because everybody wants to go faster and more careless, but some are punished and some others aren't.

The super-safe Swiss, in Italy drive at warp speed, because our radar tickets don't get to Switzerland.
Old June 20th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #36
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
The super-safe Swiss, in Italy drive at warp speed, because our radar tickets don't get to Switzerland.
... and because, even if caught on the spot, the fines for serious excesses are way below Swiss ones.
Of course by far not all Swiss drivers forget rules once behind the border; the majority of Swiss-plated vehicles I see outside CH obey the rules.

Plus, if a Swiss driver has his driver's license suspended abroad, and the Swiss authority gets to know this, he will likely have his license suspended in Switzerland as well. The duration of suspension in Switzerland may result well beyond that of the country the offense took place:

http://www.polyreg.ch/d/informatione....78__2002.html
(Guy caught in Italy with an excess of 55km/h on the motorway. Italian authority suspended his license for 30 days for Italy. Swiss authority back in CH suspended it for 6 months.)
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #37
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
Of course by far not all Swiss drivers forget rules once behind the border;
Of course.
(but Ticinese do :tongueincheek
Old June 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #38
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponsor View Post
Really effective on certain sections where the sign is posted. What about the rest? In Poland it's pretty common to slow down behind this sign and simply increase speed once you pass the camera.
In Podkarpackie they even post actual the distance to the fotoradar, so if you're unfamilliar with the area you even have the luxury of being able to maintain your cruising speed for whatever amount of metres the sign says.

Also, in Małopolska, one can even just ignore these signs all together, as none of the cameras which are not bright yellow (the ones maintained by GITD) are actually active. Even with these, you only need to slow down to 75-80 for a second or two, and you can speed right up again...
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #39
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Finland trusts the Rolleiflex cameras from 1950's.

Youngsters may not recognize that symbol referring to a camera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
In Estonia:
Smaller sign:
Estonia pretty much copied the Finnish design for a speed camera...like we do with a lot of other things as well I remember that when I was travelling in Finland with my family as a child, I thought those signs indicated a scenic spot for taking photos

Anyways, I'd say that a lot of the road and traffic engineering ideas used in Estonia are taken straight from Finland or Sweden.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #40
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvinus View Post
That's interesting; so Germany follows a very different "philosophy". Most cameras in Germany are not signed. Police and enforcement forces are regularly stating that "drivers have to count always and everywhere on their speed being controlled".
I seem to remember that when cameras were introduced in France and mapmakers duly started showing camera locations on their maps the government either asked or forced them to stop....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote