daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2015, 09:18 AM   #121
african
thenairobidude

Likes (Received): 6113

Mtito Andei Station

8166UY, dimlys1994, BenjaminEli liked this post
african no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #122
suasion

Likes (Received): 1850

Looks like they are going to blow the budgeton the stations.

how many trains per day will use these stations?
Are they going to put some money aside for upkeep and maintenance of these buildings?

Spongabob liked this post
suasion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #123
african
thenairobidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by suasion View Post
Looks like they are going to blow the budgeton the stations.

how many trains per day will use these stations?
Are they going to put some money aside for upkeep and maintenance of these buildings?
They probably have to keep money aside for upkeep. And some of these stations will probably have shops or a mall etc, which would be able to generate enough revenue for upkeep.

Initially people were complaining that the cost of rail per km in Kenya was way higher than that of Ethiopia. The total cost of the wagons and stations are included in the construction cost. Also Kenyan rail is going to have complete grid separation.

Compared to the stations along the Djibouti - Addis Ababa Railway these look way better. So the stations and complete separation is probably why Kenya's cost was higher.

Initial delivery of freight trains is 56, long term delivery will be 100. Initial delivery of passenger trains will be 4, long term 6 trains. I think u can use those figures to estimate the use of the stations. There are 40 stations planned along the route. I will post them below.
Old November 11th, 2015, 09:19 AM   #124
african
thenairobidude

Check page 1 to see the 40 stations etc. Its an old list so u wont find Mombasa West Station etc, so when I find the updated list I'll post it.
Old November 11th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #125
suasion

I'm just wondering about the need for such elaborate stations when there are so few trains. It has been my experience in East Africa, that many overelaborate buildings get built only, to rapidly deteriorate because of poor/ expensive upkeep. Perhaps more modest easily maintainable structures proportional to the amount of traffic might be more appropriate.

borisbaars, Spongabob liked this post
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #126
african
thenairobidude

Quote:
I'm just wondering about the need for such elaborate stations when there are so few trains. It has been my experience in East Africa, that many overelaborate buildings get built only, to rapidly deteriorate because of poor/ expensive upkeep. Perhaps more modest easily maintainable structures proportional to the amount of traffic might be more appropriate.
Kenya's economy is growing and I dont think they'll stick with the actual number of trains just like they werent content with the railway ending at Nairobi. The railway is being extended to Naivasha even though the cost per km.

In any case no one is really gonna change their opinion about any country in Africa just cause I tell them things are different. But things are. Even most roads Ive driven in Kenya are smoother.

And why dont Kenyans deserve good looking buildings and railway stations? Those stations might lack passengers but if KR is thinking long term they can have malls and shops that can generate revenue until those stations build up capacity. Those stations aren't being built in complete isolation. No one wants railway stations expanded 20 times in the next 10 years.

Infrastructure is how an economy grows, u dont build infrastructure only with short term goals in mind. On maintenance, Kenya's tall buildings aren't exremely dire, u make it sound as if everything is completely crumbling and etc. Kenya is fine in terms of maintenance.

BenjaminEli liked this post
Old November 11th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #127
african
thenairobidude

To add on to what I've said, your opinion also says what a Westerner would say. i.e. when the World Bank was asked to fund the project they said the current rail is fine, which is complete BS. The Chinese were asked and they asked when they could start, Africa for the most part has been stuck in a dark economic age because no one thought any money could be made in Africa.

When the Chinese came along, investment into Africa grew exponentially and thats when all Western powers who had been pouring aid started saying the Chinese were exploiting us. What a joke because they'd been giving money to build wells and wondering why economies weren't growing while the Chinese have been building game changing infrastructure.

The ideas that African economies cant handle, or Africans cant have or Africans cant achieve is dead. Kenyans are aiming for the top and they can't get there by building mediocre stations because it'll make people more comfortable. Kenya needs structures that represent a proper image of the country. Those structures will also boost investor confidence. We cant stop building because some idiot running a company doesnt allocate money to maintain a building.

Game changing infrastructure is what should put Kenya ahead, its how China started its how we'll go. If no one approves Kenyans could care less. Same thing has happened with Lamu Port project, foreigners who know nothing about poverty keep saying Kenya shouldn't develop the port even though it will give a lot of jobs and change the economy. They want the people in Lamu to remain poor and not develop the port so that their way of life is maintained?? No one wants to be poor.

People in Lamu arent like those tribes in the Amazon, they are people who live in a city that was founded in the 12th century. And in any case economic success in Korea and Japan haven't destroyed their culture esp Japan.

warthog liked this post
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #128
suasion

Thank you for stereotyping me and playing the racist card, but ask yourself this, which is it better to invest money in
(a) Rolling stock, track and signalling so an African country can get the railway system it needs and the users deserve. or
(b) Nice big station buildings which will see only a handful of trains a day so just because Europe has them.

There are many stations here in Europe which have hundreds of departures a day which are modest compared to some of these proposals and I know I would prefer to see my ticket money spent on more and faster connections than maintaining a monument to somebodys ego.

Old November 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #129
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 7273

You do know almost half of Kenya's population lives along this rail corridor. These stations will be important since it will reopen these areas up for development. Not only that tourism will boom once again since these stations will be fairly close to several tourist sites. And just like it was when the old meter gauge was operating back in the day.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #130
african
thenairobidude

Quote:

Thank you for stereotyping me and playing the racist card, but ask yourself this, which is it better to invest money in
(a) Rolling stock, track and signalling so an African country can get the railway system it needs and the users deserve. or
(b) Nice big station buildings which will see only a handful of trains a day so just because Europe has them.

There are many stations here in Europe which have hundreds of departures a day which are modest compared to some of these proposals and I know I would prefer to see my ticket money spent on more and faster connections than maintaining a monument to somebodys ego.
You are welcome bro. But lets get sth right saying u have a Western mindset had nothing to do with racism. And me saying people are used to Africa not being able to achieve has nothing to do with racism, its just what it is.

And we arent building because Europe has them. We stopped doing things for others, we want the stations because we want nice stuff in our own country.

African Foot liked this post

Last edited by african; November 14th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old November 14th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #131
african
thenairobidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Adama View Post
You do know almost half of Kenya's population lives along this rail corridor. These stations will be important since it will reopen these areas up for development. Not only that tourism will boom once again since these stations will be fairly close to several tourist sites. And just like it was when the old meter gauge was operating back in the day.
Dude this guy knows absolutely nothing about Kenya, dont bother explaining anything to him. He is one of those African countries needs to spend money on other things types.
Old November 14th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #132
suasion

Quote:
Initial delivery of passenger trains will be 4, long term 6 trains.
nuff said

Old November 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #133
african
thenairobidude

Quote:

nuff said
Cause they are never going to buy more trains ever. More than half of Kenyans reside along that corridor. The network will go all the way to Malaba then on to Kampala and Kigali. And those are the trains included in the construction cost.
Old November 14th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #134
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

We'll see how successful this railway is in 5-10 years... In principle it could be a big success because of number of people in the area and large potential for goods. In practice however I'm suspicious of a very large number of stations and very few passenger trains ordered so far. What it seems to me is that backers of this scheme don't care much about passengers or at least not yet. It's just for moving goods from Nairobi to the coast.

suasion, african, Swede, Spongabob liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #135
suasion

I don't think theres much doubt it will be a success, it's just a pity about the lack of passenger services.

african, Spongabob liked this post
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:48 PM   #136
african
thenairobidude

Quote:
I don't think theres much doubt it will be a success, it's just a pity about the lack of passenger services.
Some of ur concerns are legit, but the construction standard being done here is high and compared to e.g. the Addis - Djibouti railway it will have complete grid separation so as not to interfere with wildlife and so that there wont be any interference between rail and other motorised transport i.e. basically anything that uses roads. Even if they decide to expand either the road or rail it wont be much of a hassle. And im not worried about signaling or track quality. Rolling stock is ok because I highly doubt the trains they are bringing are meant to last.

Track quality is high but the problem is that its single track and the've recently just announced they'll be extending the railway to Naivasha. So a single track railway that whole way.

Swede, warthog liked this post
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #137
african
thenairobidude

They've started laying the T-beams
Kenya Railways

dimlys1994, BenjaminEli, 8166UY, Swede liked this post
Old November 14th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #138
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by african View Post
Some of ur concerns are legit, but the construction standard being done here is high and compared to e.g. the Addis - Djibouti railway it will have complete grid separation so as not to interfere with wildlife and so that there wont be any interference between rail and other motorised transport i.e. basically anything that uses roads. Even if they decide to expand either the road or rail it wont be much of a hassle. And im not worried about signaling or track quality. Rolling stock is ok because I highly doubt the trains they are bringing are meant to last.

Track quality is high but the problem is that its single track and the've recently just announced they'll be extending the railway to Naivasha. So a single track railway that whole way.
You mean grade separation, right? Grid is only for electricity...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 12:19 AM   #139
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Looking as a very promising project.
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 07:37 AM   #140
Adm.Adama

Likes (Received): 7273

Quote:

nuff said
You do know that's the number of delivered trains to help with the construction. The rolling stock will be sufficient 56 diesel trains( we're not sure yet if tje route will be electrified.) 1,100 wagons and about 40 passenger coaches.

Karibu Kenya

KENYA SSC
Adm.Adama no está en línea   Reply With Quote