daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #21
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslatron View Post
Looks like this indeed will be a supertall, since ShoP said they are designing a supertall for Brooklyn.
Just need confirmation and this elevator's going up!

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #22
Skylimitone
Tectonic

Likes (Received): 3319

Hopefully, it won't be another 70s brown building.

Skylimitone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 12:32 PM   #23
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8230

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Chinese cities are building 200+ residential towers as we have been building commieblocks in the 70's in Poland... It's just not a fair comparison, the standard is so different.
new york currently is planning a lot of 200m+ residential towers. they are all really slim and have high ceilings. so they have very few apartments. So new york can pull out many of them as well. i think it will be close, if the trend contnues i can see new york being number 1 city concerning the amount of 200m towers in the not so distant future.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:01 PM   #24
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18837

Well, I don't think so. But for me that is not a problem - in case on NYC what really matters is quality, not quantity.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2015, 08:08 PM   #25
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
Well, I don't think so. But for me that is not a problem - in case on NYC what really matters is quality, not quantity.
I think both matter, but it certainly could be the number one city for 2-250 buildings considering it's already in the running and has more development than most cities.

Even for 3 and 400 meter towers NY will be one of the kings
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #26
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Per Crain's Today, this looks likely to be a supertall!

Quote:
Brooklyn could soon have a residential skyscraper as tall as the Empire State Building.

Developer Michael Stern, the builder of one of the tallest luxury condo towers on Manhattan's Billionaires' Row, and real estate developer Joe Chetrit have struck a $90 million deal to acquire the former Dime Savings Bank of New York, located adjacent to the famed restaurant Junior's in downtown Brooklyn.

The bank at 9 Dekalb Ave. is a 150-year-old landmarked Neo-Roman building with a domed roof and an ornate interior. But perhaps more important than the building, which could become a prime retail location for an upscale brand like Apple, are the development rights that come with it: roughly 300,000-square-feet.

Mr. Stern could use them to build a tower next door at 340 Flatbush Avenue Extension, a property he owns in partnership with Mr. Chetrit. Combined with existing air rights, a nearly 600,000-square-foot tower could rise there.

Although the exact height of the tower is still speculation, it will likely be between 1,000 feet and 1,200 feet tall.

The deal at 9 Dekalb Ave. plays into Mr. Stern's strength of meshing landmarked structures with new construction into high-end luxury residential space. At 111 W. 57th St., Mr. Stern, who is building that tower in partnership with Property Markets Group, is incorporating an existing building whose ground-floor retail space used to be a showroom for the piano maker Steinway & Sons and is landmarked. Mr. Stern, also in partnership with PMG, transformed a former Art Deco-era Verizon Building at West 18th Street into one of the most successful luxury condo conversions—called Walker Tower—in the city in recent years.

Mr. Stern could link 9 Dekalb Ave. into the new tower as a lobby entrance or use it separately as retail space.

iamtheSTIG, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #27
tparkerzut

Likes (Received): 42

I just hope we see some good architecture here. Something better than 388 Bridge, Avalon and City Point.
tparkerzut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #28
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

Nice design, but why on earth would the developer spend 100 M just to buy the property, dumb idea.

DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2015, 10:42 PM   #29
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by tparkerzut View Post
I just hope we see some good architecture here. Something better than 388 Bridge, Avalon and City Point.
I would bet that, given their successful partnership at 111 w. 57th and the similarity of this site (a supertall residential incorporating a landmarked historic lowrise) JDS will keep SHoP on board here. In which case, I expect great things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI10000 View Post
Nice design, but why on earth would the developer spend 100 M just to buy the property, dumb idea.
Well those 300,000 sq. ft. of air rights are good for somewhere between 15 and 40 additional floors. We're in uncharted territory in terms of the Brooklyn luxury market (those uppermost floors are going to have the best views in the borough), but I have to think they'll fetch a hefty enough price tag that $90M will ultimately be a bargain.

Old August 6th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #30
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

Recently it occured for a second time since I'm a member here that a "could become a supertall"-NYC-thread was demoted all the way down to General Urban Developments, and a handful others ended up in Highrises. So I'm very careful about such speculation. Still, a supertall for Brooklyn would be awesome, would give the NYC skyline a whole new dimension. Especially if looking from the other side we also get a supertall in JC. Manhattan spreading to both sides.

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #31
MarshallKnight

Yeah, I'm not remotely suggesting we move this thread till we have more concrete information. But given JDS's track record and obvious ambition, I have a good feeling about this.

And agreed on seeing the towers spreading out from Manhattan. Having supertalls on both sides of the East River and the Hudson would make for quite an impressive gateway to the city.

Old August 7th, 2015, 08:55 PM   #32
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Getting the rendering into the thread:

Caption: A rendering of a tall tower that approximates what developer Michael Stern could build on his site in downtown Brooklyn. (CityRealty image)

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...e-empire-state

Last edited by McSky; August 7th, 2015 at 09:01 PM.
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #33
jackedi07
YoutubeChannel:Jackedi07

Likes (Received): 522

Brooklyn May Soon Get a Supertall Tower

Brooklyn could soon have a residential skyscraper as tall as the Empire State Building. Developer Michael Stern and real estate developer Joe Chetrit have struck a $90 million deal to acquire the former Dime Savings Bank of New York, located adjacent to the famed restaurant Junior's in downtown Brooklyn.

The bank at 9 Dekalb Ave. is a 150-year-old landmarked Neo-Roman building with a domed roof and an ornate interior. But perhaps more important than the building, which could become a prime retail location for an upscale brand like Apple, are the development rights that come with it: roughly 300,000 square feet (28,000 square meters).

Stern could use them to build a tower next door at 340 Flatbush Avenue, a property he owns in partnership with Chetrit. Combined with existing air rights, a nearly 600,000-square-foot (56,000-square-meter) tower could rise there.

No building has ever eclipsed 1,000 feet (300 meters) in any of the boroughs outside Manhattan and only a handful of towers have crossed that mark in Manhattan, though that list is growing. One source familiar with the deal suggested that Stern could build a tower potentially higher than the Empire State Building, whose spire stands at 1,454 feet (443 meters). Only one other residential building, Central Park Tower, is expected to rise above that height.

According to published reports, the tallest tower in Brooklyn is 388 Bridge Street at 590 feet (180 meters) – half the size of what Stern may have planned for his site.

http://www.ctbuh.org/News/GlobalTall...US/view.aspx#!

http://skyscrapercenter.com/building/340-flatbush/20684

jackedi07 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #34
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2607

It will look a little more balanced if they really build a 200m+ tower for the City Point Brooklyn development.

droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #35
nortonshuh

Likes (Received): 159

Wouw! Very impressive!
Old August 8th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #36
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I'm really surprised there is actually a solid plan for such a height in Brooklyn. I don't know if something this overwhelming will look in place there.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #37
Sharonda

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
unofficial massing.
If that's what it's going to look like the skyline will lose some of its magic-a drab uninspired block thrusting into the sky like a middle finger to the surrounding architectural heritage-I expected more of SHoP
Sharonda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #38
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonda View Post
If that's what it's going to look like the skyline will lose some of its magic-a drab uninspired block thrusting into the sky like a middle finger to the surrounding architectural heritage-I expected more of SHoP
It is a massing.

Manitopiaaa liked this post
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #39
tparkerzut

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharonda View Post
As said above this is just to show what the general effect of the building will be on the skyline. However it will be quite jarring compared to the surrounding building heights. Reminds me of old pictures of the Empire State building when it was the only thing in midtown. Hopefully the design will be nice!
tparkerzut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2015, 03:50 AM   #40
midrise

Likes (Received): 611

Unimaginable not too many years ago......but not now. Brooklyn is on the rise, along with the prices..

nylkoorB liked this post
midrise no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
340 flatbush extension, 9 dekalb avenue, brooklyn, fulton market, new york, nyc