daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #61
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Having been to Chicago I can confirm that most buildings in the skyline are certainly impressive, not just the tallest. If you've never seen them in real life you are in no position to judge their impressiveness.

In fact I have seen much shorter buildings that were absolutely overwhelming to behold in real life. The Kölner Dom (Cologne cathedral) is a good example, short on paper compared to most skyscrapers, but what a presence!
And that is exactly the problem. Impressions when you see a building should never determine whether a building has impressive height or not. The only thing that should determine that are hard numbers. I've never seen a skyscraper, just highrises max, but I've seen the height figures of all the tall buildings and that is what matters. Height is not something architectural, it is a number, therefore math should be the only factor that decides whether a building has impressive height or not. Design is there for personal impressions, height is math

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:07 PM   #62
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Something being impressive comes from the human emotion of being impressed, for which all the numbers do not matter, only first hand experience does. I can assure you that once you see a 350m building in person you won't say a word about its height not being impressive.
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #63
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Well, I am impressed by numbers, not by impressions. Seeing a building doesn't change its dimensions. One thing why height means to me more than to most other people is because I'm a number cruncher, not an artist. That is the reason why I am about to study engineering, not architecture. Numbers remain the same whether I see them in person or read them on the internet. The whole point in caring about height is to get a mathematical impression, not an emotional impression
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #64
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, I am impressed by numbers, not by impressions. Seeing a building doesn't change its dimensions. One thing why height means to me more than to most other people is because I'm a number cruncher, not an artist. That is the reason why I am about to study engineering, not architecture. Numbers remain the same whether I see them in person or read them on the internet. The whole point in caring about height is to get a mathematical impression, not an emotional impression

Um... just curious, what's the tallest building you've ever seen in person?

In what universe is a 1150 foot ~90 story building "not impressive" height wise? I'm still a little dumbfounded.

I still fail to see your point. There are a very small handful of buildings in the world that have a solid roof much over this height, a very select few go much higher, almost all of them are concentrated in Asia, Middle East and USA.

Like I said, with your logic someone with 500 million USD can't be rich apparently because there are a few billionaires in the world.

Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:32 PM   #65
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

#semantics

MarshallKnight liked this post
rlw777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #66
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Um... just curious, what's the tallest building you've ever seen in person?

In what universe is a 1150 foot ~90 story building "not impressive" height wise? I'm still a little dumbfounded.

I still fail to see your point. There are a very small handful of buildings in the world that have a solid roof much over this height, a very select few go much higher, almost all of them are concentrated in Asia, Middle East and USA.

Like I said, with your logic someone with 500 million USD can't be rich apparently because there are a few billionaires in the world.
Hard to tell which is the tallest I seen. I saw a 112 meter highrise and a observation tower with a pinnacle of 194 meters, but I don't know what it's roof height is, only that it is approximately in the range of the before mentioned highrise

But that doesn't decide anything, as I said before, to me numbers are impressive, not emotions. I never said this building isn't tall, I merely said that it isn't a top class height building. Rowling is rich, but she is not top class rich. There's a big difference between tall and top class tall and for me the point where they meet is the height of 1WTC. If we take built buildings and u/c buildings that are above street level 1WTC is on the 25th place. I don't know about you but to me the 25th place is indeed the minimum which can still be considered top class
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:05 AM   #67
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Hard to tell which is the tallest I seen. I saw a 112 meter highrise and a observation tower with a pinnacle of 194 meters, but I don't know what it's roof height is, only that it is approximately in the range of the before mentioned highrise

But that doesn't decide anything, as I said before, to me numbers are impressive, not emotions. I never said this building isn't tall, I merely said that it isn't a top class height building. Rowling is rich, but she is not top class rich. There's a big difference between tall and top class tall and for me the point where they meet is the height of 1WTC. If we take built buildings and u/c buildings that are above street level 1WTC is on the 25th place. I don't know about you but to me the 25th place is indeed the minimum which can still be considered top class

rlw777, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #68
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

I guess because the Sears Tower is 11th in the world, and not first I guess it's unimpressive.

munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #69
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Personally I am very impressed by the effect a personal supertall experience has. Three-digit numbers haven't impressed me since second grade.

onewtclover, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:30 AM   #70
iloveclassicrock7
Vigilant Citizen

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
You said the highest building you've seen was a highrise, which means you don't have the neccesary information to make a call on this. This building will rise above Chicago's skyline, which makes it prominent and impressive

iloveclassicrock7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #71
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10271

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Personally I am very impressed by the effect a personal supertall experience has. Three-digit numbers haven't impressed me since second grade.
Do the 3-digit numbers from 984 to 999 impress you though?

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #72
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSkyline View Post
I prefer the original design for this location with this height...

Still exciting news!! Another Supertall hits home! If they're building this year, does it mean it's already approved?
+1. I like more the first design for this site.

The design is a mess. Out of place. Anyway, good to see something with more than 300 meters being built in Chicago.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #73
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4485

I get impressed by building in the 100m range... Seeing buildings like The Shard and The Eiffel Tower are just mind boggling to me!

Also when is construction on this building to start? I'm guessing not for a while?

Check out my Instagram

Nottingham Interactive Development Map
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #74
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheSTIG View Post
I get impressed by building in the 100m range... Seeing buildings like The Shard and The Eiffel Tower are just mind boggling to me!

Also when is construction on this building to start? I'm guessing not for a while?
According to the news article in the first post, it will "start being built this year" with a tentative completion date of before 2020.

Of course, these things never finish on time so hopefully it'll be done by the year 2525.

At least the financing looks good so there won't be years wasted just rounding up the funds to begin construction (looking at you Silverstein)

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #75
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Hard to tell which is the tallest I seen. I saw a 112 meter highrise and a observation tower with a pinnacle of 194 meters, but I don't know what it's roof height is, only that it is approximately in the range of the before mentioned highrise But that doesn't decide anything, as I said before, to me numbers are impressive, not emotions. I never said this building isn't tall, I merely said that it isn't a top class height building. Rowling is rich, but she is not top class rich. There's a big difference between tall and top class tall and for me the point where they meet is the height of 1WTC. If we take built buildings and u/c buildings that are above street level 1WTC is on the 25th place. I don't know about you but to me the 25th place is indeed the minimum which can still be considered top class
One day you'll see a real actual skyscraper and then you'll realize that what you've been talking about here is utter nonsense.
I remember when I was a kid, me and my friends thought that a car with 600 horsepowers was soooo much better than one with 560...,then I grew up.
For now you just sound like a person without a driver's license giving driving advice to everybody...take a trip to London, New York, Paris, Hong kong etc and you'll see that buildings can't be judged based on one number.

generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #76
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

To me, atmosphere, design, and skyline impact effect the perceived height greatly. For instance, the Bank of America Plaza in Atlanta, is not outstandingly tall at 1023ft. , but in the context of Atlanta's skyline, it feels much taller than the Chrysler Building does in the context of NYC's skyline at 1046ft.
The numbers are off course important, but their results in the skyline are more important. I think an 1150ft. building such as this will certainly not be Chicago's new icon, but having seen Chicago's skyline, there is no way that a bulky unique design like this wouldn't be at least a nice new highlight for the city.

Blue Flame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #77
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Anything shorter than 1WTC is unimpressive these days
Just for you
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #78
Dancing Banana

Likes (Received): 277

hes just a kid, just stop it now.
Old July 13th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #79
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

The amount of posts we've had on this thread arguing for a specific view of a purely subjective adjective is very impressive to me.... and also very sad.
Old July 13th, 2014, 10:58 PM   #80
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
The amount of posts we've had on this thread arguing for a specific view of a purely subjective adjective is very impressive to me.... and also very sad.
It beats having 5 pages wasted on 'Shvo' puns

rlw777, iloveclassicrock7, j-biz, GeoDude liked this post

Tags
375 east wacker, chicago, lakeshore east, wanda, wanda vista tower