daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls

Supertalls Discussions of projects under construction between 300-599m/1,000-1,999ft tall.
» Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2014, 02:32 AM   #121
ChiSkyline

Likes (Received): 133

They need to get rid of those ugly balconies.
ChiSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2014, 10:29 PM   #122
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
There are lots of reasons for that.

Industrial past - a lot of develpment in Chicago happens on land that was previously used for factories or warehouses.
This is the biggest reason I believe. For the most part downtown leaned much more towards a mix of manufacturing and low intensity uses compared to residential and commercial midrises than the likes of NYC.
Old December 31st, 2014, 04:37 AM   #123
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityAtty11 View Post
This is a design that will look miles better once built. Jeanne Gang/Wanda will make sure of that - nothing but the best materials will be used. I love it! I love its innovation, massing and dominance - all Chicago traits. This is the perfect tower for an architecturally forward thinking city. This will be a great 21st century icon for Chicago.

Btw, I am also a big fan of the new orientation of the towers - it now draws the eye into the city.

I sure hope you're right! It looks a little cheap in the renders. Since I am always so impressed with the perfect balance of Chicago's skyline, I always have the highest expectations for new development. Especially something of this height.

citybooster, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:58 PM   #124
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Likes (Received): 1165

Public hearing

http://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2...ello-to-wanda/

Assemblage23, Alex The Chicagoan liked this post
munchymunch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 07:18 PM   #125
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

What is the opposite of a building growing on you? Growing off of you? No, that doesn't seem right...

This building looks more clumsy and awkwardly proportioned each time I look at it.

The EDM Student
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #126
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Posted by Spyguy on Skyscraperpage

[IMG]http://i61.************/10ndph5.jpg[/IMG]

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=646

Kanto liked this post
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #127
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

The design is growing on me. At least the shape, still not sure about the balconies.

Also, is it officially called Wanda Vista now? Sounds like a drag queen name.

Kanto, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 02:52 AM   #128
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

I'm not sure about the vista part

Quote:
381-383 East Wacker Drive

Magellan Development Group will present their plans for a proposal to build a mixed-use building within the Lakeshore East community called "Wanda Tower."

WHAT: 381-383 East Wacker Drive
Wanda Tower at Lakeshore East

WHEN: Monday, April 13, 2015, 6:00pm

WHERE: Radisson Blu Hotel - Atlantic Ballroom C
221 N. Columbus Drive, Chicago, IL 60601

http://www.ward42chicago.com/pending...proposals.html
Old April 14th, 2015, 01:55 AM   #129
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Meeting is about to start, I'm not sure if these are the actual new renders, or just less detailed to give an idea.....

All pics were taken by BVictor1 on skyscraperpage, I will try to keep everyone up to date on what he says.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...212182&page=34
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:17 AM   #130
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22538

that skyline rendering has me excited already.
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #131
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Height Bump!

according to LouisVanDerWright on ssp

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=669

1,200 feet
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:32 AM   #132
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Height Bump!

according to LouisVanDerWright on ssp

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=669

1,200 feet
Boo YA!

second highest roof in Chi town
Old April 14th, 2015, 02:50 AM   #133
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Who gives a crap about the heights. I am loving the refinement of the design!!! People were worried about this being value engineered to death because there were rumours the cost estimates for the project came out way too high.

From the looks of this redesign though it looks much classier, streamlined, and organic (for the lack of a better term) then before. It has much more the look of a Jeanie Gang design to me then it did before.

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 28th, 2016 at 07:36 PM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #134
(the)

Likes (Received): 75

Looks fantastic!
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:09 AM   #135
rlw777

Likes (Received): 469

From studio gang website

Old April 14th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #136
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:17 AM   #137
Jay

The design is pretty cool and unique and the height is also great, build it!

Is it still 88 floors and should this start this year?
Old April 14th, 2015, 03:26 AM   #138
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

Chicago has a very cool, eclectic skyline and this really works with it!
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:35 AM   #139
munchymunch
Minneapolis==>Chicago

Tribune article

By: Blair Kamin

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mn.html#page=1

Quote:
The tower, expected to cost more than $950 million and be completed in 2019, will need city approval because its proposed height would be some 500 feet taller than the ceiling specified in the Lakeshore East development plan.

Magellan co-CEO Joel Carlins has been a major supporter of Mayor Rahm Emanuel, holding a fundraiser for Emanuel at his home last year. On the day of the event and in the weeks that followed, Emanuel's campaign received checks from Carlins and eight other Magellan employees and one spouse totaling more than $47,000. That was on top of $16,300 in previous donations tied to the firm.

Details about the plan, designed by Chicago architect Jeanne Gang and her firm Studio Gang Architects, were revealed at a community meeting called by Ald. Brendan Reilly, 42nd, in whose ward the tower would be built.

A standing-room only crowd of about 500 people packed the meeting at the Gang-designed Aqua Tower in Lakeshore East, voicing concerns about increased internal vehicular traffic within Lakeshore East, a potential wind tunnel effect from the tall building, and increased noise.

"You'll give the motorcycles a circle to go around at 2 or 3 in the morning," said nearby resident Lori Prosnitz.

In December 2014, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced a skyscraper project backed by Magellan Development Group. (WGN-TV)
Even amid the concerns, people at the meeting complimented the building's design.

"I look forward to living in Chicago's new 'Gang' land," one man said.

The skyscraper's projected height, which was not specified last year when Emanuel touted it during U.S.-China trade talks here as a "great building," would be 1,144 feet, as measured from a ground-floor entrance at the same level of Lower Wacker Drive.

According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, a building's height is measured "from the level of the lowest, significant, open-air pedestrian entrance to the architectural top of the building."

The council's executive director, Antony Wood, wrote in an email Monday that Gang's firm had not yet submitted drawings of the tower for verification, so the council could not determine the building's height.

If the council were to rule that the ground-level entrance did not meet its criteria and the tower winds up being measured from its Upper Wacker Drive entrance, it would be considered 1,094 feet tall. That would make it Chicago's fifth-tallest building, ranking behind Willis Tower (1,451 feet), the Trump International Hotel & Tower (1,389 feet), the Aon Center (1,136 feet) and the Hancock Center (1,128 feet).

Whatever its official height, the tower would dominate the view for drivers on northbound Lake Shore Drive, as new renderings show. It would also be the world's tallest building designed by a woman-owned firm, according to the council.

Other details put forth by Gang and the developers:

The new World Trade Tower building may have been deemed the tallest building in the U.S., reaching 1,776 feet, but it's far from the tallest in the world. Read more: N.Y. World Trade Center is nation's tallest skyscraper, panel rules.
•The skyscraper's interlinked high-rises would rise to heights of 47, 71 and 93 stories if the proposed ground-level entrance is counted as the tower's base. The middle high-rise would straddle a narrow north-south road, Field Drive, in Lakeshore East. Inset balconies would be limited to the tower's east and west facades.

•The skyscraper's design is based on a geometric element called a "frustum," essentially a truncated pyramid. Each of the three high-rises would consist of a stack of these pyramids, alternating between conventional and inverted pyramids. The slanting exterior walls would provide a variety of views for residents, with some vistas oriented upward, others downward. The small floors within each pyramid would experience more solar heat gain, Gang said, so they would be clad in slightly darker glass to reduce energy costs.

•As part of the project, eastbound Upper Wacker Drive, which now dead-ends in a cul-de-sac before reaching North Lake Shore Drive, would get a 10,000-square-foot eastward extension. The extension would include a public plaza and a view toward Navy Pier, as well as a drop-off area for vehicles arriving at the skyscraper's hotel.

•A projecting glass cube containing the tower's restaurant area would be raised on stiltlike concrete columns, allowing drivers and pedestrians to pass beneath it and connect to roads and elevated pedestrian plazas in Lakeshore East.

•A ground-level path would lead beneath the skyscraper, connecting Lakeshore East's park to Lower Wacker Drive. The walls and ceiling defining this corridor would be brightly lit. Left uncertain is how the path would extend across Lower Wacker to the Chicago Riverwalk.

The proposed improvements to streets and public spaces appear aimed at winning over nearby residents, property owners, Reilly and city planning officials.

The building's hotel would have 169 rooms. The upper portions of the skyscraper would contain 405 condominiums, Gang's firm said. The developers propose 410 parking spaces. There would also be a 5,400 square foot ballroom to the east of the 3 interconnected towers.

Gang in an interview said the skyscraper would have a major skyline presence, unlike her acclaimed Aqua Tower which flaunts boldly curving balconies but is hemmed in by nearby high-rises.

Comparing the design to Willis Tower and the John Hancock Center, she said: "The other two are those macho dark buildings." Wanda Vista, she said, would have a textured, almost woven profile created by its alternating concave and convex surfaces as well as the shifting play of light on the tower's glass walls.

Please discredit his height info.

1. He doesn't mention the parapet

2. The upper wacker height thing is the stupidest thing I've heard.
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #140
Jay

So apparently at SSP they're saying it's 1144' to the top floor and still 1200' to the parapet, I hope that's true

With the increased floor count that sounds about right.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
375 east wacker, chicago, lakeshore east, wanda, wanda vista tower