daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Highrises > Proposed Highrises

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 1st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #1
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

JERSEY CITY | HAP Tower - 500 Summit Ave. | 500ft+ | 42 fl+ | Pro

HAP Investments is planning a large tower at Journal Square in Jersey City:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project now in conceptual phase. Two different designs under consideration, one much taller than the other.

Originally:

Revealed: 500 Summit Avenue

Quote:
In March of this year, New York/Tel Aviv-based developer HAP Investments announced plans for a $400 million tower in Jersey City’s Journal Square neighborhood, at 500 Summit Avenue. The builder bought the site for $28 million from Robinhood Plaza, which had negotiated with the city to allow a 42-story tower with 1 million square feet of space, in exchange for building a park between Summit and Baldwin Avenues.

While HAP told the Jersey Journal that the preliminary design would take about a year, YIMBY has come across a few renderings by CetraRuddy that appears to show the project. HAP did not return YIMBY’s call for comment, so we can’t be sure of how current the images are.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New, taller design:

Last edited by desertpunk; December 4th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:33 AM   #2
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16997

I guess I have to do a Journal Square overview soon...
Visit the New Jersey Section

Tubeworm, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2014, 09:10 AM   #3
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 358

Wow! Go Jersey City! Hope all of these developments pan out.

The EDM Student

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:20 AM   #4
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

This looks pretty good!

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #5
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53452

New Look: HAP Tower, 500 Summit Avenue, Journal Square

Quote:
Update: Per HAP, both versions depict “different design studies for the site, and are simply conceptual at this time. They may not reflect the final approved design which is not expected for several years.”

Back in August, YIMBY featured a first look at HAP’s plans for a new residential tower in Jersey City’s Journal Square. That version would have stood approximately 40 stories tall, and the roughly 800,000 square foot development would have held rental apartments.

Now, we have a look at another possible scheme for the site, created by CetraRuddy, the firm also responsible for the first iteration. The new design is significantly taller, standing well over 50 stories, and could indicate the site may be geared towards condominiums rather than rental units.

HAP’s speciality is typically condominiums, which would explain the possible design change as well. Views are the driving factor behind New York City’s new skyscraper boom, and the same could be said for what’s rising across the Hudson River. In 500 Summit Avenue’s case, the project will overlook the entire Manhattan skyline, and the best way to take advantage of that is to make HAP Tower even taller.

[...]
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 10:29 AM   #6
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

I like the opportunity to have not only the downtown/ waterfront skyline but an emerging cluster around the transport hub at Journal Square. With the three towered Journal Squared project starting on its first tower, the hopefully soon to be revived City Center two tower project(which has undergone at least in conception a tremendously improved reworking), the KRE project across the street surrounding the Jersey Journal building and HAP(LOVE this version, hope its closer to the final form if construction does indeed start in two or three years as indicated) we have seven towers, one standing at least 40 stories, with the likelihood of the others being at least 50 stories. There is also the likelihood a few more towers could be developed in that immediate area giving our city center a decidedly game changing kickstart and in that neighborhood surrounding it there will be other development of smaller-moderate scale that will complement the tower ring very nicely!
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #7
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Nice project, bad EXACT location! The address places it on the site of a historic 5 story apartment building with fully occupied ground floor retail space. Directly behind it and across the street are small buildings with large surface parking lots. Even a drive-thru Burger King. That park would be a great addition though. It is a 1000 foot long litteral cliff face almost 30 feet high that parallels the PATH tracks. This will not be isolated, as it is diagonally across from J2:Journal Squared, which is a trio of 700+ foot skyscrapers, the first of which is well underway.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #8
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22566

whacky... in a good way

citybooster, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #9
citybooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
Nice project, bad EXACT location! The address places it on the site of a historic 5 story apartment building with fully occupied ground floor retail space. Directly behind it and across the street are small buildings with large surface parking lots. Even a drive-thru Burger King. That park would be a great addition though. It is a 1000 foot long litteral cliff face almost 30 feet high that parallels the PATH tracks. This will not be isolated, as it is diagonally across from J2:Journal Squared, which is a trio of 700+ foot skyscrapers, the first of which is well underway.
The rendering is awful... trees like that lining the PATH tracks? Only thing they got right was the godawful PATH office building, the hideous face of Journal Square's decline since opening over forty years ago. One day I hope to see it razed and replaced by a taller, more worthy crown jewel.
Old May 12th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #10
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Nothing yet.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:40 PM   #11
Urban_Nerdin

Likes (Received): 61

I saw an article about a lot of pushback from the city council on this one. I think it may be getting scrapped.

Sorry the source is some SC blog.... http://www.southcarolinasc.com/2015/...-square-tower/

Urban_Nerdin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #12
citybooster

While not dead(I expect the new owner to put up a stiff fight) the possibility of the project getting a height boost isn't playing well with this Administration, and Boggiano, who has never supported towers going up in Journal Square and particularly opposes this one. The City Council may not go with Boggiano, as they supported both the development of the still delayed City Center project(hopefully new developer Jared Kushner, who bought the property in January , will soon make good on moving forward there) and Journal Squared, of which the first tower is now making rapid above ground process. However if Netter looses the Mayor's office support and doesn't work out their differences this will go from possibility to pipe dream.
Old May 18th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #13
mafd12

Likes (Received): 2309

Seems as a skyscraper.
mafd12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #14
Urban_Nerdin

Likes (Received): 61

Good news everyone! The tower is making a come back! http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...struction.html

Urban_Nerdin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2015, 10:10 AM   #15
citybooster

Only IF the NIMBYs (who seem to have the tacit support of even the mayor's office now)can continue to be held off by the courts dismissing their case. They are vowing to appeal even now.... I still think there's a fairly good chance this tower doesn't get built. I'd LOVE it to, and hope we get two or three more towers in the ring around the transit center between Sip, Summit, and Newark Avenue. One I really would love is a new PATH building, though realistically that won't happen til City Center towers and probably Journal Squared towers are built up. It's an embarrassment, and truly oone of the most depressing designs for a major city transit hub.
Old October 10th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #16
Yackemflaber68

Likes (Received): 180

Are they REALLY going with that design!!!!
/
Yackemflaber68 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #17
Phobos

The tower looks very grotesque and has a heavy appearance.

Tags
500 summit ave., hap tower, jersey city, journal square