daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Skyscrapers > Proposed Skyscrapers

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:01 PM   #21
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 677

Presumably moving towards construction.. As far as I know the developer is eager to get going.. probably finalizing design, and I'm not sure if its gone through Site Plan approval yet. After that, its building permits, and construction. Hopefully news will come soon.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #22
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10782

Will the south tower rise first as it encompasses the bus terminal?

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 08:59 AM   #23
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Toronto towers reveal complex recipe of 21st-century downtown skyscraper

Skyscraper. There’s a reason we use that word. Tall buildings are shaped by economic incentives, but there’s also a poetic motive at work, a drive to find the longest view, a higher office than your competitors, a perch up above it all. But when that drive to the top goes unchecked, tall buildings can be arrogant trophies, strutting and cluttering up the skyline with swoops and bulges.

A new pair of towers in the works for downtown Toronto shows how capital can stand tall and maintain its dignity. The Bay Park Centre combines elegant architecture with innovative urbanism and place-making that will serve the city around it.

The $2-billion, three-million-square-foot complex will sit atop a new commuter bus station and adjacent to Union Station, the busiest transit hub in the country. The first phase, already approved, will be a 54-storey, 1.3-million-square-foot tower and include the GO Transit station.

Full article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle30395473/

Its outer fašades of glass are lined by a diagonal structural grid, with steel diamonds 10 storeys tall and behind this, the glass fašade itself dips in and out, producing peaks and valleys up to 75 centimetres deep. “It’s very subtle,” Bettison says, “but is hopefully going to have a character of being very playful and changeable, and the light should do interesting things across it through the day.”

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

baisaroff, ThatOneGuy, anakngpasig liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; June 23rd, 2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old July 26th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #24
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

Renderings that have not been posted yet.

According to rumors 45 Bay Street is an inch away from approval.

http://www.bayparkcentre.com/

Assemblage23, Patrick Highrise liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 02:48 PM   #25
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Very nice. Much nicer than most of the cheap looking buildings going up in Totonto atm. What are the odds of this being built, though? The office market in Toronto seems much weaker than the residential market.
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #26
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Very nice. Much nicer than most of the cheap looking buildings going up in Totonto atm. What are the odds of this being built, though? The office market in Toronto seems much weaker than the residential market.
Agree about all the glass. About half of the new condo towers going up look awful and won't age well. People keep buying them though. The only saving grace is that 20-25 years from now most of them will need to completely replace their spandrel glass facades with something else. A friend in the industry told me that much of it isn't expected to last more than 15 years. Those condo owners will be in for a massive bill. Shocking, but there you have it. Thankfully, the city seems to be moving away from that aesthetic and/or better quality products.

45 Bay is one of the better designs that surfaced the last year and it will likely get built. Downtown Toronto has the lowest office vacancy rate in North America, dropping to 4.9 per cent in the second quarter of the year from 5.3 per cent in the first quarter, according to a report by commercial real estate firm CBRE. That's despite 4.4 million square feet of office space being added the last 3 years.

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ca-report.html

The office market may be weaker than the condo market but only because the condo market is still red hot. Regarding 45 Bay specifically, urbantoronto reported in June that things are still moving ahead:

Quote:
Metrolinx are very serious about moving ahead with a new bus station and I was under the impression this was all moving ahead fairly speedily; 45 Bay (aka 81 Bay) - which already has an agreement with the City for a roughed in space for the LRT platform - is apparently at the final approvals stage. 141 is a bit behind but it too is moving ahead. BTW. Metrolinx are not the developers - it's Ivanhoe Cambridge (aka Quebec Pension Plan).

Last edited by isaidso; July 26th, 2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old July 28th, 2016, 06:10 AM   #27
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10268

That lobby is gorgeous!

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2016, 03:03 AM   #28
Al-Z

Likes (Received): 41

This project has been on the radar for quite some time. I was at the Union Station bus terminal earlier today and saw a sign for an application for 54 storey, 265 metres tower for the site north of the bus terminal. Just a quick question, is the north side phase 1 or phase 2?

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Al-Z no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2016, 11:16 PM   #29
Victoria123

Screen-captured images.

enrigue8, KlausDiggy liked this post
Old September 26th, 2016, 08:34 AM   #30
Victoria123

The Bay Park Centre was granted a $142 million tax break from the city this July - the largest tax break in Toronto. The developer, Ivanhoe Cambridge intends to go ahead and develop the area as proposed. For projects to receive tax breaks the requirement is that the construction should cost over $150 million, and should be approved by the council. This indicates that the BPC was approved sometime before July.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle32033349/

Marco Polo, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 27th, 2016, 06:53 AM   #31
isaidso
the new republic

People often say 'I wish it were taller', but I really do wish these were taller. 370m and 330m would look much better. The rail tracks are so wide and expansive as are Union Station and the Dominion Building. This is one are where much taller buildings would help make the area feel denser.

enrigue8, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 11th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #32
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

Some movement finally !

Application: New Building
TORONTO ON
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 17 137140 BLD 00 NB
Accepted Date: Mar 31, 2017
Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential
Work: New Building
Description: Proposal to construct a 52 storey office, retail and bus terminal with 3 levels of below grade parking - 366 parking spaces, and bicycle parking.

enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:02 PM   #33
isaidso
the new republic

This one makes me giddy with delight. It will fill in an empty spot in the skyline, help kick start rail decking, and it looks gorgeous. My only complaint, I'd prefer them at 400m rather than 253m.

Last edited by isaidso; April 11th, 2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #34
Stringpicker

Likes (Received): 257

Agreed. A real missed opportunity here, IMHO. This is the perfect location to go big. At least 350 metres.

enrigue8, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Stringpicker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #35
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 709

Please change the status of this project to approved !
It's not proposed anymore now.

enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #36
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 814

just to keep things orderly, you should give proof of that next time

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD

Balkanada está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 04:28 AM   #37
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I didn't notice this also pedestrianizes the former bus route. This is a great project for Toronto urbanism, as well as being aesthetically beautiful.

isaidso, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:49 PM   #38
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 686

CIBC will be the main tenant here

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...velopment.html

Quote:
CIBC plans to move its headquarters in Toronto to a pair of office towers being built in the city's financial district a few blocks south.

The bank said in a statement that about 15,000 of its local employees will relocate from its current headquarters at Commerce Court and other locations to the new Bay Park Centre.

The centre spans two towers and totals 2.9 million square feet of which CIBC will lease up to 1.75 million square feet for its headquarters, which will include a flagship bank.

The bank said its lease agreement stipulates that Bay Park Centre will be rebranded under a CIBC name in the coming months.

The two towers are expected to be completed in 2020 and 2023, during which time some of CIBC's employees will relocate to their new space.

Spokeswoman Caroline Van Hasselt said in an email that the bank will still have a presence at its Commerce Court location, including a bank.

Old April 12th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #39
ChesterCopperpot

Likes (Received): 686

https://www.thestar.com/business/201...velopment.html
Quote:
CIBC plans to move its headquarters in Toronto to a pair of office towers being built in the city's financial district a few blocks south.

The bank said in a statement that about 15,000 of its local employees will relocate from its current headquarters at Commerce Court and other locations to the new Bay Park Centre.

The centre spans two towers and totals 2.9 million square feet of which CIBC will lease up to 1.75 million square feet for its headquarters, which will include a flagship bank.

The bank said its lease agreement stipulates that Bay Park Centre will be rebranded under a CIBC name in the coming months.

The two towers are expected to be completed in 2020 and 2023, during which time some of CIBC's employees will relocate to their new space.

Spokeswoman Caroline Van Hasselt said in an email that the bank will still have a presence at its Commerce Court location, including a bank.

Old April 12th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #40
isaidso
the new republic

Are the other bank buildings around King/Bay still used as head offices for the Big 5 or are they all re-locating a few blocks south? They all seem to be moving into new digs.

Last edited by isaidso; April 12th, 2017 at 07:14 PM.

Tags
45 bay st., toronto