daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Diplodocus

Likes (Received): 3

Question regarding a gothic (?) decorative element

Hello, all. This is my first post, so hopefully I'm not treading over any rules by making this thread (and if I am, I would very much appreciate the post being relocated to where it better belongs).

After viewing images of flying buttresses, I've been curious if there is a term for the decorative projections coming out of some of them. They can be seen on the buttresses here (source is Wikipedia), for the Milan Cathedral, and are capped by small floral renderings.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...edral_5299.jpg

The closest term I can find seems to be "crocket." Is that it? I wasn't sure, since it seemed important that the form on a crocket be curved, sort of like a curling leaf, whereas the ones on the relevant image are straight. Of course, the Milan Cathedral's might be an exception.

Thanks for any help!
Diplodocus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM   #2
MRouchell
MRouchell

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplodocus View Post
Hello, all. This is my first post, so hopefully I'm not treading over any rules by making this thread (and if I am, I would very much appreciate the post being relocated to where it better belongs).

After viewing images of flying buttresses, I've been curious if there is a term for the decorative projections coming out of some of them. They can be seen on the buttresses here (source is Wikipedia), for the Milan Cathedral, and are capped by small floral renderings.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...edral_5299.jpg

The closest term I can find seems to be "crocket." Is that it? I wasn't sure, since it seemed important that the form on a crocket be curved, sort of like a curling leaf, whereas the ones on the relevant image are straight. Of course, the Milan Cathedral's might be an exception.

Thanks for any help!
I haven't seen these decorations before. Crockets might be a good term to use. Typically, flying buttresses will have pinnacle located over the top of the pier. The purpose of the pinnacle is to provide additional weight on top of the pier to counter the lateral thrust of the flying buttresses. The pinnacles are capped with elongated pyramids shaped points. Crockets are ball shaped leaf forms that align the ridges or hips of the pyramids.
MRouchell no está en línea   Reply With Quote