daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Tampa / St Petersburg

Closed Thread

Old May 5th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #541
tonyff67

Likes (Received): 1

There was a full page ad in the Tampa trib on Thursday requesting public support for this and it mentioned Regional co-operation several times..
tonyff67 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old May 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #542
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 212

http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGBH4XI5SME.html

for some reason my copy/paste isn't working
Old May 6th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #543
smiley

Likes (Received): 51

Consultants Tout Wider West Shore
Skip directly to the full story.
By MICHAEL H. SAMUELS msamuels@tampatrib.com

Published: May 4, 2006

ADVERTISEMENT

More from this channel:

Search for more information:

Site Search Archives Keyword
TBO.com Site Search | Tribune archive from 1990

Widening West Shore Boulevard and extending Tyson Avenue could ease clogged traffic south of Gandy Boulevard, consultants say.

Tindale-Oliver and Associates suggested those projects during a presentation to the Gandy Area Transportation Study Advisory Committee last week. The committee is helping shape recommendations in the study, which will be presented to the city council this month.

There are about 84,200 vehicle trips daily on the north-south roads south of Gandy. That will increase by about 32,000 trips when planned developments, including New Port Tampa Bay and the Westshore Yacht Club, are completed, the consultants say.

Committee members, including neighborhood leaders, developers and business representatives, had mixed reviews on the suggestions.

Most liked the proposal to extend Tyson between West Shore and Manhattan Avenue. The road would need to be built behind houses and north of the CSX right of way.

"It's the one road we can create from scratch," consultant Demian Miller said.

Committee members were less impressed with other ideas, including intersection improvements at Henderson Boulevard and Lois Avenue and Henderson and Dale Mabry Highway. They questioned how much the improvements would cost and how much benefit they would have.

They also said a traffic light at West Shore and Fair Oaks Avenue, proposed as part of the planned redevelopment of the Georgetown Apartments just north of Gandy on West Shore, would only encourage motorists to cut through the neighborhood.

Miller said Georgetown's redevelopment would add 16,000 trips on West Shore.

But committee member Margaret Vizzi, of Beach Park, said residents would oppose widening West Shore north of Gandy.

Jerry Miller, president of the Ballast Point Neighborhood Association, said the study should be comprehensive and start by addressing land use rather than determining where stop lights and stop signs should go.

"We need to be looking at other things than just transportation," he said. "There is a bigger picture, including ways to deal with the neighborhood, that's not just creating bigger streets."

Committee member Steve Danco, project manager for the 539-residence Westshore Yacht Club, said it's not fair to blame traffic woes on redevelopment.

"I've lived in Tampa 34 years," Danco said. "The problem exists. We have the opportunity now to do this. It is challenging, but a lot of these options have a lot of promise."

NEXT MEETING
The Gandy Area Transportation Study Advisory Committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. May 16 at the Jan Kaminis Platt Regional Library, 3910 S. Manhattan Ave.
http://southtampa.tbo.com/southtampa/MGBH4XI5SME.html
I contain multitudes.

I don't pretend 'cause I don't care.
smiley no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #544
Tampa on the move.

Likes (Received): 2

Does anyone pass the I-4----- I-75 area of Tampa..

I have not seen that area in over a year and wondered if there was any development at the major intersection in Hillsborough County..

Does anyone think this area could become another Westshore District??
Tampa on the move. no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #545
BRobinson

Likes (Received): 0

Has anyone seen the paint job that is being put onto the Selmon Expressway?? I saw it leaving Brandon Mall and i'm on the fence with the color scheme (for those that don't know it's mostly tan with baby blue down the middle of the columns). It kinda reminds me of some sort of pastry. What do you guys think??
BRobinson no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #546
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

I'll get a chance to check it out on Sunday. I hope it looks good!
Quegiebo no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #547
cwat212
Palma Ceia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa on the move.
Does anyone pass the I-4----- I-75 area of Tampa..

I have not seen that area in over a year and wondered if there was any development at the major intersection in Hillsborough County..

Does anyone think this area could become another Westshore District??

A couple problems with that area in my opinion:
1. I-75 is a traffic nightmare going in both directions.
2. The landfills in the area are a big downside.

I know that there are some very huge homes being built on the N.E. side of the Interchange (N. on 579). They must be in the high 6 figures if not a Million $ range.
cwat212 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:34 PM   #548
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 212

Does anyone know when the construction between Malfunction Junction and the Fairgrounds are suppose to be completed?
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #549
Tampa on the move.

Interchange Summer 2006
I-4 Spring 2008
Tampa on the move. no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #550
smiley

IT will never be completed. The moment they finish one project it will be beyond capacity and need to be upgraded
I contain multitudes.

smiley no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #551
John F

Likes (Received): 33

Smiley states a fact about roads in this area --

We're upgrading roads from F's to D-'s in cases (especially with the always-attrocious I-4). US 19 in Pinellas is a great example of that -- you think the Flyovers are going to solve what ails that road? Think again... Especially when they rip out flyovers to build new ones (as they plan for Gulf-to-Bay, that's a nightmare just waiting to happen).
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #552
Quegiebo
SoHo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F
Smiley states a fact about roads in this area --

We're upgrading roads from F's to D-'s in cases (especially with the always-attrocious I-4). US 19 in Pinellas is a great example of that -- you think the Flyovers are going to solve what ails that road? Think again... Especially when they rip out flyovers to build new ones (as they plan for Gulf-to-Bay, that's a nightmare just waiting to happen).
I think the transportation issue is the most important dilemma we face. Our area is growing way too fast to handle the increase in traffic, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see our representatives addressing the issue in a serious way.
Quegiebo no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #553
97Roll
Tampa, FL

It all comes down to money. There's just not enough funding available to upgrade the transportation system in a sufficient manner. That's one of the reasons you are seeing so much toll road construction. As far as I-4 goes - DOT and Turnpike have been studying the feasibility of constructing tolled express lanes down the median from downtown Tampa to I-75.
97Roll no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #554
TampaTower

Check out www.mytbi.com for info about highway projects in Tampa Bay.
TampaTower no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #555
John F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quegiebo
I think the transportation issue is the most important dilemma we face. Our area is growing way too fast to handle the increase in traffic, and maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see our representatives addressing the issue in a serious way.
I talked to Norm Roche who is running for Pinellas County commission... The guy thinks that we're 20-30 years AWAY from needing mass transit other than buses. Oh, he believes in more inter-bay cooperation with Hillsborough and HARTline but to think that we don't need transit alternatives now? What planet is he living on?
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:31 PM   #556
John F

Isn't it funny we're talking about roadway upgrade failures and a few pages back on thsi thread we were talking about a "Superhighway" that the state is looking into spending billions on?

Talk about messed up priorities....
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #557
Tallaman

^ Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily a money issue. As a society we have designed our urban areas to be sprawled, with little density, and very reliant on cars. It's as hard to change the culture as it is to change the infrastructure. Limited access interstate highways may be the transportation tool that helped propel the U.S. economic engine to the world's top, but it's overuse and overdependence is what is starting to hold us back now. We need to begin a transformation to other types of transportation systems, or at least to more diverse systems.
Tallaman no está en línea  
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:33 PM   #558
John F

The problem is we adopted the suburban lifestyle too much (as you stated) where you live outside of the city and commute in. This works in places like Long Island where you have trains back into the city and urban centers. But where trains have never been placed, you get the mess we know all too well.

LA is just as bad with the lack of density and the sprawl -- but they've finally gotten started with rail alternatives to move people. Tampa Bay, on the other hand, just widens roads and thinks that is the solution... all because the climate is pro car (actually it's pro-shade, but don't expect developers or planners to realize this any time soon when they try to develop walkable communities).
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:35 PM   #559
SDK4
FSU Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F
I talked to Norm Roche who is running for Pinellas County commission... The guy thinks that we're 20-30 years AWAY from needing mass transit other than buses. Oh, he believes in more inter-bay cooperation with Hillsborough and HARTline but to think that we don't need transit alternatives now? What planet is he living on?
Some people will never get it. With the way the population figures have been adding up, I give the Tampa Bay area a decade before we reach critical mass on our roads.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #560
smiley

Pinellas is just now waking up the the idea of a north south limited access road, why would you think they would be forward thinking enough to have rail - they could have put it where the pinellas trail is and had a boom . . .

they have less foresight than hillsborugh, which is saying a lot.

The push for rail will come from the bottom up not top down - the people (with gas prices), business and institutions will push the county governments - with maybe a little help from people like Sebesta. It will take a few more years to get a real push going. At least Hillsborough is sort of having a debate (outside of the county commission) - so it may get there sooner - but I would not hold my breath
I contain multitudes.

smiley no está en línea  

Closed Thread