SkyscraperCity Forum banner
27K views 105 replies 17 participants last post by  Newcastle Historian 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Photographed 15th August 2011.

See less See more
#2 ·
INTO Newcastle University being built by Balfour Beatty as at 26/06/12

Further to last batch of pictures on this project, here are some further photographs taken by myself on 26/06/12 approx 1115 (hosted on Photobucket) showing current state of work to end building at north end Percy St/ Barras Bridge and adjacent properties etc

KEN

#3 ·
2014/0961/01/DET | Demolition and replacement of existing Line East Building to create a new four storey building plus basement, with glazed bridge link at level 2 connecting the new building to 'The INTO Building' to the south west. Alterations to the rear (west) elevation of the Crow's Nest Pub. | Crows Nest 137 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RY

Reference 2014/0961/01/DET
Alternative Reference PP-03458138
Application Received Fri 13 Jun 2014
Application Validated Mon 23 Jun 2014
Address Crows Nest 137 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RY
Proposal Demolition and replacement of existing Line East Building to create a new four storey building plus basement, with glazed bridge link at level 2 connecting the new building to 'The INTO Building' to the south west. Alterations to the rear (west) elevation of the Crow's Nest Pub.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N73W98BSLM900

From the Design & Access Statement:

INTO Newcastle University is a joint venture between Newcastle University and INTO University Partnerships to provide pathway courses for overseas students intending to access undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UK universities.

INTO currently occupy a newly developed area to the south of the University’s city centre King’s Campus, completed in 2012 and comprising both residential and teaching accommodation. 537 residential bed spaces are provided in the Joseph Cowen and Bernicia Halls, and the 3000sqm INTO Pathway Centre provides teaching, catering and administrative facilities for over 700 students.

Since the centre opened, INTO have seen a rapid growth in student numbers, and additional accommodation is now required to support demand which is currently being met through the temporary use of below standard University space elsewhere on the campus .

The Line East Building, immediately to the north of the Pathway Centre, is ideally located to provide the additional accommodation required by INTO. The building has four floors plus a basement, and is connected to the upper two floors of the adjacent building above the Crow’s Nest Public House. Both buildings have been used in the past by the University for teaching, however in recent years they have been under-utilised as they have become obsolete and better accommodation has been made available elsewhere on the campus.

The proposed development would therefore not only solve the increased accommodation requirements of INTO, it would also seek to reinvigorate and bring back into intensive use this part of the campus

This image copyright Faulknerbrowns Architects:

Hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

#4 ·
2014/0961/01/DET | Demolition and replacement of existing Line East Building to create a new four storey building plus basement, with glazed bridge link at level 2 connecting the new building to 'The INTO Building' to the south west. Alterations to the rear (west) elevation of the Crow's Nest Pub. | Crows Nest 137 Percy Street Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RY

Line East Building . . .

Back in June last year, we had an interesting discussion about the 'Line East Building'.

Hidden on the front of that building, behind a Newcastle University Sign (though NOT hidden from us on Skyscraper City!!) toonlad discovered an old DURHAM UNIVERSITY sign, from those 'pre-1963' days when Newcastle University was still Kings College of Durham University . . .

Snapped this about 3 weeks ago in Newcastle City Centre. Where was I?

Is it this building?

The 'Line east' building at the right of the photo. The photograph below is from the 'INTO Newcastle University' Project Thread . . .

Yes, and on Saturday 29/06/13 approx 0930, it now looks like this (my images hosted on Photobucket)

KEN

#5 ·

I really like that, the only changes I would make myself is if the roof section was to be copper like the original INTO building, and possibly a street entrance on Percy street which it doesn't appear to have.

#6 ·
Line East Building

I really like that, the only changes I would make myself is if the roof section was to be copper like the original INTO building, and possibly a street entrance on Percy street which it doesn't appear to have.
D&A - The intention is for students to enter via the main entrance and reception in the Pathway Centre, and use the bridge link to access the Line East and Crow’s Nest Public House buildings.

It also makes this comment about the use of metal roofing:

A seamed metal roof forms the ‘attic’ storey of the development, profiled to maintain visibility of the adjacent Crow’s Nest gable, and picking up on a number of other uses of metal at this level in the vicinity.

As you say Chris, why not copper to complement the use in the Into Building, especially given the above statement and the fact its to be an annexe to that building?

Interesting to read the history of the building:

Acquired by The University of Durham, King’s College (later Newcastle University) in the 1950s, the buildings have been used for teaching and academic purposes by various departments until relatively recently. Subsequently, they have been used as temporary accommodation for the contractors constructing the adjacent Music Studios, the INTO Newcastle University development, and the refurbishment of the Grand Hotel. The buildings are not currently in use.

The Line East Building was constructed in the 1920s for a firm of paperhangers, together with a since demolished warehouse to the rear.
The building comprises a basement, plus four storeys above ground. Perimeter walls are believed to be of loadbearing masonry, faced with a number of different materials, and extend up to create a perimeter of low parapet walls enclosing a flat asphalt roof.
External treatment follows the principles of the adjacent Victorian and Georgian buildings, in that there is a clearly defined ‘front’ and ‘back’ to the building. Facing brickwork on the front (east) elevation is dressed with elements of buff sandstone, picking up on the detailing of the adjacent Crow’s Nest Public House and the facing material of the Grand Hotel further along. Green slate cladding has been used at ground floor, and returns part way up the Haymarket Lane (south) elevation, expressing this level in a similar way to the shop fronts of the adjacent buildings.

#7 ·
Line East Building

Proposal Demolition and replacement of existing Line East Building to create a new four storey building plus basement, with glazed bridge link at level 2 connecting the new building to 'The INTO Building' to the south west. Alterations to the rear (west) elevation of the Crow's Nest Pub.
Status Registered
Decision Not Available
https://publicaccessapplications.ne...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N73W98BSLM900

From the Design & Access Statement:

INTO Newcastle University is a joint venture between Newcastle University and INTO University Partnerships to provide pathway courses for overseas students intending to access undergraduate and postgraduate studies at UK universities.

INTO currently occupy a newly developed area to the south of the University’s city centre King’s Campus, completed in 2012 and comprising both residential and teaching accommodation. 537 residential bed spaces are provided in the Joseph Cowen and Bernicia Halls, and the 3000sqm INTO Pathway Centre provides teaching, catering and administrative facilities for over 700 students.

Since the centre opened, INTO have seen a rapid growth in student numbers, and additional accommodation is now required to support demand which is currently being met through the temporary use of below standard University space elsewhere on the campus .

The Line East Building, immediately to the north of the Pathway Centre, is ideally located to provide the additional accommodation required by INTO. The building has four floors plus a basement, and is connected to the upper two floors of the adjacent building above the Crow’s Nest Public House. Both buildings have been used in the past by the University for teaching, however in recent years they have been under-utilised as they have become obsolete and better accommodation has been made available elsewhere on the campus.

The proposed development would therefore not only solve the increased accommodation requirements of INTO, it would also seek to reinvigorate and bring back into intensive use this part of the campus

I see the plans for this building have been changed to include an entranceway onto Percy Street - this is the new frontage plan:

Image hosted on www.steve-ellwood.org.uk

#9 ·
I rather the like the Line East building but I suppose needs change over time. Not a massive fan of the proposed replacement. On the other hand I am pleased that the University is to build a replacement - I had understood that they wanted to demolish Line East and have a wide entrance to the campus there - which would have been an inappropriately large gap in the Percy St frontage.

#10 ·
Line East Building

Status Registered
Decision Not Available
Granted Conditionally - 21st August 2014 - 18th August 2014

#13 ·
#18 ·
#19 ·
When I passed the other day it seemed to look as though the windows were open and internal demolition was complete. I guess I must be wrong because I've not seen any workmen on the outside.

I'm going to assume that due to it's proximity to otter buildings, one of which I think is listed that the majority of the demolition will be by hand rather than sending some big machine to take it down.

#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.