daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:17 PM   #381
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

You can notice a few improvements in the 787, it's not huge but still really good for the passengers :
- A better luminosity thanks to the larger windows (an improvement which should go on in the futur airplanes such as the A350)
- Boeing tried it's best to create a feeling of space for the passenger, you can notice that you don't get in the plane by the "kitchens" as in most of the present airplanes but by a little loby with a higher ceiling, more welcoming.
- Also a technology improves the air pressure and humidity in the cabin, which should make the passengers feel better after the flight, less jetlag sensation.

I agree with you for the lights, it was obviously a test there, but still carriers will have to play easy with that cause it's not always the best taste all this colours.
Space Invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2011, 08:23 PM   #382
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63132

In this airplane the "feeling of space" is a bit lost because of the dense domestic configuration of the airplane. It's probably more obvious in most of the 787s, those with a more standard "international" configuration.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:52 AM   #383
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14482

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Boein...ner/1985924/L/

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 02:22 AM   #384
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5853

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak View Post
Flying on the Boeing 787 Dreamliner
Thanks for this tripreport. Hopefully I get to fly on one a.s.a.p. But since the backlog is huge, that might take some time. I envy you already.

Quote:
When I usually do 5 hour flights, I come out feeling fatigued, irritated, and tired. Even though this was a full flight that was 7 hours long, when I stepped out, I did not feel fatigued at all and definitely did not feel like I had been on a plane for 7 hours. This is probably due to the fact that the 787 has more cabin pressure than any other plane, which reduces jetlag.
I can relate to that since also the A380 features more cabin pressure and cleaner, less dry air then other airliners. I flew almost without interruption 21 hours LHR-SYD. And I was much fitter exiting the plane in SIN & SYD then I normally would be any other airliner. I guess the B787 will have these qualities too, which was also to be expected. Next in line to offer these qualities will be the A350 of course.

Quote:
Boeing has really gone all out to make this plane and it's a truly phenomenal product. I'm happy to have been a part of it!
I believe you when you say it is a truly phenomenal product. Though financially the costs overruns and the 3.5 year delay will hurt Boeing for a long time to come.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #385
briker
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

The plane looks sexy

Last edited by briker; September 26th, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
briker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #386
WatcherZero

First 20 787's to be configured only for short or medium haul because their overweight for long distance. The first five orders of 747-8F from two different companies have also been cancelled because they dont meet performance targets.
WatcherZero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #387
Bart_LCY
Arae et foci

Likes (Received): 820

More about the overweight issue here:

Boeing rolls out first 787 for delivery to ANA

and here:

Top Boeing customer questions future of short-range 787 version
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #388
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63132

Luckily for Boeing their launch customer is ANA who was already planning to use the 787 on domestic routes anyway.

All in all it shows that developing a completely new plane isn't as easy as it might seem. With all the computer simulations and models it's easy to forget that the reality doesn't always work out as the computers predicted. Especially with all the new materials that are used in the 787.

And if it didn't hit the original targets it doesn't make it a bad plane, it's still better then anything in it's category that is currently on the market. But with the customers being so critical these days they just won't accept anymore that it's not as good as promised. It's kind of an unhealthy situation that won't be good for future developments.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #389
WatcherZero

Yeah its interesting also raises questions about the 787-3 model, only 50 or so being made for the Japanese market they have narrower wings for smaller Japanese airports but their overweight too and combined with the smaller lift from shorter wings its going to be impossible to sell the model outside Japan. Their currently trying to overtune the engines creating more thrust so they can fly at all.
WatcherZero está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #390
future.architect
Far East London

Likes (Received): 2031

^
The 787-3 was terminated years ago!

As you explained, no one wanted it.
future.architect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #391
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5853

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
But with the customers being so critical these days they just won't accept anymore that it's not as good as promised. It's kind of an unhealthy situation that won't be good for future developments.
I think it is a perfect attitude for a customer. He signs a contract usually worth hundreds of millions, and sometimes billions of Dollars. So the customer has all the right to expect what was promised to him contractually. These contracts are drawn up after many months of intensive negotiations. It is up to the manufacturers to deliver that they have agreed upon.

If not, compensation payments for late delivery (A380 and especially the B787) are normal and compensations for performing below contracted specs (B787) are normal in my book as well. .

But it is good and very nice to see the first of many B787 being delivered to the first customer, even if ANA had to wait 3,5 years more then they expected. According to the Seattle Times the program costs have risen to $ 32 Billion. They will need to sell more than 1,000 copies to start making money on this program. Though most cost overruns will be written off as sunk-costs (just as on the A380), the netto effect will remain the same. But I could see the B787 selling 2,000+ copies over the 30+ years of het life-span. So there is still a positive outlook for this program, but for it to turn positive we will have reached the next decade.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 03:42 AM   #392
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

Great News - A delivery ceremony at Paine Field in Everett, Washington September 26, 2011. Boeing Co workers hand-delivered -- literally -- the company's first 787 Dreamliner in the pouring rain on Monday to All Nippon Airways, capping nearly a decade of development of the world's most advanced jetliner. The first-delivery 787 Dreamliner for ANA will fly from Everett to Japan on September 27.

We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey

Highcliff liked this post
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #393
fozzy

Likes (Received): 84

Great looking plane!!!!
fozzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #394
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

agree!! Love how the wings curve upwards

Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #395
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/calvinchan423/6187403324/

Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #396
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

This plane looks like a classic already. Truly beautifully shaped. Thanks Boeing!
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #397
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14482

http://www.airliners.net/photo/All-N...ner/1988802/L/

Discover Ukraine - The vibrant country: https://youtu.be/Pu8tL3ptXRM and Kyiv - The city of many faces: on SSC
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #398
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #399
YoNoFui

Likes (Received): 268

When will be delivered the next 787?
YoNoFui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #400
niknak

Likes (Received): 319

Sometime in October. I have posted pics of the interior of the 2nd delivery 787 above.
niknak no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airplane, boeing