daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #721
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Invader View Post
Yeah, like for Qatar airways on its Doha-London, but still doesn't make sense for me on such a busy route, tell me if i'm wrong but I honestly don't think so many people are really capable of dissociating a 787 from a 777 or an A330.
There is no 787 effect such as the A380 effect, at least until now, in my opinion.
It doesn't help that only 2 Japanese carriers use it on only 3 intercontinental routes up to now. And 2 of those routes are from Europe to Japan that are only used by travelers to and from Japan, out of which a majority is Japanese. The A380 started with Singapore Airlines and Emirates that have a much more international orientated since they make their profit by connecting passengers through their hubs in Singapore and Dubai. Therefore they marketed the A380 flights all around the world were JAL and ANA mainly promote 787 domestically.

It will indeed be more difficult for the 787 to become as recognized as the A380, simply because of the size of the A380 makes it stand out much more then a 787. But with the fancy interior of the 787 with the colorful LED lightning, the better cabin climate (higer humidity) and the bigger windows that can automatically be darkened it will create a buzz in the traveling world when it will fly more routes.

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #722
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Boeing confirms the Lion Air/Batik Air order for 5 787-8s, although it's still a commitment
Quote:
Boeing Statement on Lion Air Commitment to Order 787 Dreamliners

JAKARTA, Indonesia, June 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA) confirms that Jakarta-based Lion Air announced a commitment to order five 787 Dreamliners for its newly launched premium carrier Batik Air. When finalized, the agreement will be worth $967.5 million at list prices.

Boeing congratulates Batik Air for selecting the 787 Dreamliner and looks forward to finalizing this order.

Boeing press release:
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2285
The 787 in the Batik Air livery.

image hosted on flickr

Lion Air Announces Commitment to Order 787 Dreamliners by The Boeing Company, on Flickr

Leeham News also comments on this order with some interesting information.
Quote:
'LionAir and the 787: Confirming news reports this week, LionAir announced it has committed to the Boeing 787, agreeing to buy five. We’re told these are from the so-called “terrible teens,” those early 787s that required an enormous amount of rework and which were rejected by the original customers. Transaero and Rwanda Air are said to also be taking some of these early aircraft."
http://leehamnews.wordpress.com/2012...act-on-boeing/
This doesn't come as a surprise after Boeing recently focused on preparing the later builds for delivery. And with the new buyers for some of the early birds they don't have to prepare them straight away since those are new orders, 2 of the orders aren't even firmed yet.

Transaero: 4 (order)
Rwandair: 2 (options)
Batik Air: 5 (commitments)

These early builds will be perfect for these airlines, they might not be up the brochure specifications but they will provide excellent economy compared to other similar products on the market like the 767 and the A330. And even if they don't get them straight away they will also get them earlier then when they would ordered a later build, for which they would have stand at the back of the cue.

This also means that Royal Air Maroc, LAN and probably also ANA & Air India have rejected some of the early builds.

Old June 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #723
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It will indeed be more difficult for the 787 to become as recognized as the A380, simply because of the size of the A380 makes it stand out much more then a 787. But with the fancy interior of the 787 with the colorful LED lightning, the better cabin climate (higer humidity) and the bigger windows that can automatically be darkened it will create a buzz in the traveling world when it will fly more routes.
The interior is about the same than the last 777's or 330's which leave the factories today, Led lighting is not an innovation from the 787. From the reviews I read, the higher humidity is not noticeable, it would be less noisy from outside but not from inside compared to the a380, eventually, I would say the bigger windows are the real innovation, but still from the reviews, it seems that carriers automaticly adjust the darkness of them during the flight so you can't change anything of it, that's a shame!

Don't get me wrong, I would really like to try this plane, and i'm sure it's a really good product, but what i mean is that, this plane will be like most of the others for the random traveler : an aircraft among many.

Only time will tell...
Old June 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #724
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 998

Quote:
The interior is about the same than the last 777's or 330's which leave the factories today, Led lighting is not an innovation from the 787. From the reviews I read, the higher humidity is not noticeable, it would be less noisy from outside but not from inside compared to the a380, eventually, I would say the bigger windows are the real innovation, but still from the reviews, it seems that carriers automaticly adjust the darkness of them during the flight so you can't change anything of it, that's a shame!

Don't get me wrong, I would really like to try this plane, and i'm sure it's a really good product, but what i mean is that, this plane will be like most of the others for the random traveler : an aircraft among many.

Only time will tell...
How can you say this if you haven't travelled on it? And from the pictures I've seen the cabin interior looks miles ahead of any A330.

A recent article from news.com.au

Quote:
IT'S a tall order for any plane manufacturer - keep the dream of cheap airfares alive while at the same time make flying cattle class more fun.
Yet Boeing’ new 787 Dreamliner jet looks set to achieve this.
I managed to score a seat aboard the first fully decked-out 787 jet on its visit to Australia on the final leg of its global tour.
Along with a group of media I’m flying from Sydney to Brisbane and back as a guest of Qantas, which has ordered 50 of the revolutionary jets.
They will be shared with its budget offshoot Jetstar, which will be the first Australian airline and the first low-cost carrier in the world to introduce the plane in mid-2013, followed by Qantas midway through the following year.
Jetstar will receive the first 15 787 jets and plans to have three operational on long-haul routes by the end of next year.
The low-cost airline confirmed Dreamliner flights will begin in August next year, with Bali and Honolulu among likely first routes.
Jetstar Australia and New Zealand CEO David Hall said the “plane of the future” will be a key part of keeping airfares low as it reduces operational costs such as maintenance and fuel.
"It will underpin the continued success of our low cost business," Mr Hall said.
It will also deliver great benefit to Qantas, with CEO Alan Joyce saying it will help the airline thrive amid the current challenges facing its international business. He said it will also make the airline's fleet the youngest since the business was privatised.
New era of passenger comfort
Boeing claims the Dreamliner, which can seat up to 350 passengers, will offer a new era of passenger comfort, including the famous claim it will reduce the effects of jetlag.
So what is it really like on board, and does it live up to expectations?
The difference was striking from the moment I stepped onboard.
The jet definitely appeared roomier, with higher ceilings and overhead bins that sloped upwards and out of the way, but at the same time easier to reach. The Boeing 787 also claims to have the world’s largest passenger bins.

It was noticeably quieter inside the jet, so much so that at one point I questioned whether the engines were actually on.
On takeoff it sped off like a bullet at quite an angle - faster than any other flight I’ve experienced, and in no time we were able to unbuckle our seat belts and move around the plane.
We were warned of turbulence but didn't feel it, perhaps demonstrating its revolutionary turbulence-dampening system.
The jet, which costs $194 million each, appeared more welcoming with natural light flooding in through the windows, which are over 30 per cent larger than on today's similarly sized aeroplanes.
Then there were the lights - which were used either to bathe the cabin in psychedelic rainbow colours to give the feel of a nightclub - or soft orange, blue or pink hues for a more calming effect.

The auto-tint function on the windows is nifty, darkening them with the push of a button. However, I wondered how those wanting to sleep would go, as even at its darkest shade you can see outside.
More economy legroom
Although it was too short a flight to know how much it would help jet lag and sleep, I could imagine it would be easier to drift off.
It didn’t feel as cold and stuffy as it usually does on planes, and upon landing I noticed my ears didn't pop like they normally do. This is because the cabin is the first to be pressurised to the equivalent of 1800m instead of 2400m, thanks to its lighter-weight material.
Boeing says this means passengers will experience fewer headaches and less dizziness and fatigue, as testing has shown the body absorbs eight per cent more oxygen into the blood at this altitude.
It’s also good news for those who like to drink alcohol on flights.

There was also more legroom than I’ve ever had in economy class, though this will change once the airlines take delivery of the planes. All eyes will be on Jetstar and Qantas, who will choose either a roomy eight-across seating arrangement or a more cramped nine-across layout.
The Deamliner also has a noise footprint 60 per cent lower than similarly-sized aircraft, which means it’s quieter for both passengers and those on the ground.
And a lighter plane allows for more padding to protect passengers from noise and vibration, along with quieter air conditioning.The plane of the future visited Sydney last November during its testing phase. The 787 program was launched in April 2004 with a record order from All-Nippon Airways, which received the first delivery in September last year.
There are 851 Dreamliner jets on order.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/f...#ixzz1xOHPVV7H

Last edited by Wezza; June 10th, 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #725
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
How can you say this if you haven't travelled on it? And from the pictures I've seen the cabin interior looks miles ahead of any A330.
That's why I add "from the reviews"

Quote:
So the burning question, is this plane the revolution it is made out to be?

It depends.

She may be lighter, more fuel efficient and thus greener, always a good selling point, but the lower running costs won't equate to cheaper airfares, let's face it, the A380 has the lowest CASM out there, do you see cheaper fares for flying from A to B on an A380, no.

The 787 may be a great plane for the airlines and it will undoubtedly off the opportunity to open up new point to point routes that were previously not possible, but I see the vast majority being used to simply replace existing aircraft, the 767,777,A330 & 340's that we fly on today, day in day out.

As a passenger, is she any better or more comfortable than aircraft in service today, I don't think so. Everything you can touch and see as a passengers can be or fitted in an existing design, the seats were great, but can easily be fitted into a 777 or A330, the mood lighting is nice, but you already find this in today's longhaul planes. Did I feel any more refreshed stepping of this bird compared to any other type? Not that I could noticeably feel.

Was she quieter that today's existing planes? Perhaps so on the outside but internally she is still quite loud, the A380 is still far quieter. Boeing need to take an Airbus apart to see what they do insulation wise.
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...s=787#ID216520

Quote:
It was a fantastic flight. As usual for a Japanese airline - the inflight service was superb, even in Economy Class. I had two seats to myself making the flight even more comfortable. As expected, I was extremely excited to fly this new aircraft. A few things I noticed though. There always seemed to be a loud electrical hummm... noticable throughout the entire cabin, during boarding / inflight / and after arrival. It was quite loud, and even noticable during cruise. The windows are huge. You can look across to the other side of the aircraft -- and easily see outside the window on the opposite side. This is a huge bonus. The cabin humidity is advertised at approx 10% higher than "normal" but I found no difference -- because it's still quite low. The cabin was quiet -- but not as quiet as the A380. The LAVs were interesting in that similar to the 777 - you can't slam the toilet seat down. But also, when you flush the toilet a bar emerges from the wall -- which physically forces the toilet seat down. Other than that -- no showstoppers that would distinguish this plane from any other.... which is why I wouldn't call it a "game-changer" from a pax perspective. What each airline decides to do with it to improve/expand their network -- should be the determining factor in its "game-changing ability".
http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/210955

Anyway, my question was just "are the passengers going to really make a difference?", I think the aviation geeks are going to, but not the random passenger. Once again, that's my opinion.

Last edited by Space Invader; June 10th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Space Invader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:52 PM   #726
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

You can also argue that the A380 is a replacement of the 747 on the heavy routes since all operators except for Emirates use it as such. In that sense it just has the same effect as the 747 had as the biggest commercial passenger plane in the air. Something that the 787 won't have since it's simply not the biggest.

And since so many airlines have ordered many 787s it will also be used in very different ways. In this sense it's already a game-changer, since no other wide-body aircraft had so many orders before the 1st plane was delivered. This makes it hard to make general statements about this airplane, some like JAL will use it to open new routes other will just use it on existing routes. Like Etihad that a couple of days ago announced some routes where they will be using their 787-9 from 2014.

"it will operate to destinations including Dublin, Frankfurt, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing and Nagoya, Delhi and Istanbul."
http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...wsListing=true

A mix of bigger and some smaller routes.

Time will indeed tell if the 787 will have it's own special effect like the A380, but we can already be certain that many more people will fly the 787 then the A380.

Old June 11th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #727
Wezza
©

Quote:
Anyway, my question was just "are the passengers going to really make a difference?", I think the aviation geeks are going to, but not the random passenger. Once again, that's my opinion.
It's the same deal for the A380. Most people couldn't care less what sort of plane it is & don't book to fly on a specific type. It's only aviation nuts that do those kinds of thing.
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #728
sidney_jec
Complex Equation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
It's the same deal for the A380. Most people couldn't care less what sort of plane it is & don't book to fly on a specific type. It's only aviation nuts that do those kinds of thing.
its true for all the aircrafts except for A380. I had a word with the staff at Emirates at JFK. He said their evening flight from Dubai has very rarely an empty seat because people want to fly the A380.

PS: Lord Murugan never deleted signatures. Never
sidney_jec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #729
Wezza
©

Maybe there's a novelty factor still. Most people I know who travel regularly wouldn't have a clue.
Old June 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #730
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Quote:
"it will operate to destinations including Dublin, Frankfurt, Kuala Lumpur, Beijing and Nagoya, Delhi and Istanbul."
http://www.etihadairways.com/sites/E...wsListing=true

A mix of bigger and some smaller routes.
That's good news, that's actually what I really enjoyed about the 787, the description that boeing made : point to point strategy, opening new routes.
And I was a bit disapointed seeing the routes, (apart from some exceptions like Tokyo-Boston etc..) it was classic routes.
Probably a bit naive from me to think that we were going to see plenty of new routes + effects of the economic recession.

A game changer in this sense, yes i think it could if carriers are not too afraid.
The 787 could also be a good long haul low cost plane (Norwegian wants to use it for that no?).
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #731
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Yes, Norwegian and Jetstar are 2 LCCs that will have the 787 and use it as a LCC on longer routes.

And there are actually quite a few airlines that have and will start new routes with the 787.

ANA
Haneda - Frankfurt (semi new route)
Narita - Seattle
Narita - San Jose

JAL
Narita - Boston
Narita - San Diego (starts as 777 because of the delays)
Narita - Helsinki
And they are looking into more new European routes.

United
Houston - Lagos (has already started with with a 777 because of the delays)
Houston - Auckland (Although it looks like this has been cancelled)

Air India
Australian routes as a relaunch with the 787.

Royal Air Maroc
São Paulo & Washington DC

Hainan Airlines
Will use the 787 to grow in North America

Air Canada:
"Air Canada is pinning its future business strategy on Boeing’s new 787 jet that will enable the airline to expand to new destinations especially in emerging markets like China and India."

Norwegian Air Shuttle:
Starts long haul LCC = new routes

That is already a quite a number of airlines that will start new routes with 787, that other airlines will just use it for existing routes doesn't change this fact. It will be used different with all the orders for major carriers, smaller national carriers, LCC carriers and even charter carriers.

Old June 11th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #732
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Likes (Received): 14482

Quote:

JAL
Narita - Boston
Narita - San Diego (starts as 777 because of the delays)
Narita - Helsinki
And they are looking into more new European routes.
You forgot to mention one more route for JAL: Narita-Moscow (Domodedovo)
Equario no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #733
mabadia71

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435
Yes, Norwegian and Jetstar are 2 LCCs that will have the 787 and use it as a LCC on longer routes.

And there are actually quite a few airlines that have and will start new routes with the 787.

ANA
Haneda - Frankfurt (semi new route)
Narita - Seattle
Narita - San Jose
Can you please elaborate on the Narita-San Jose route. Is this a confirmed route or is it just a rumor?
mabadia71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #734
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equario View Post
You forgot to mention one more route for JAL: Narita-Moscow (Domodedovo)
Moscow is not a new route, that's why I didn't include it in that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabadia71 View Post
Can you please elaborate on the Narita-San Jose route. Is this a confirmed route or is it just a rumor?
It was announced by ANA in December last year.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local/...11/111221.html

It should start this fiscal year that runs until March 2013, it's also expected to start early 2013 but no dates have come out yet.

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #735
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Quote:
But you included Boston and it's not the new route either
Hm, I believe we have encountered some sort of misunderstanding.
Old June 12th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #736
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Boston is a new destination for JAL.

It's even the example of new routes to smaller cities that becomes possible with the 787.

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #737
mabadia71

Quote:

It was announced by ANA in December last year.
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local/...11/111221.html

It should start this fiscal year that runs until March 2013, it's also expected to start early 2013 but no dates have come out yet.
Thank you, I thought that it was San Jose, Costa Rica, but it's San Jose, California
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #738
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

I can see why you wanted to know more about it since there are currently no direct routes from Asia to Costa Rica.

Costa Rica from Japan should be possible with a 787, although it would at the top of the range. And if a Japanese carrier or a Chinese or Korean airline would start a direct route it would most likely be to Mexico, because the market is so much bigger market and it's closer to Asia. It's something that I never really realized, just how far away central America is from Asia.

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #739
mabadia71

Quote:
I can see why you wanted to know more about it since there are currently no direct routes from Asia to Costa Rica.

Costa Rica from Japan should be possible with a 787, although it would at the top of the range. And if a Japanese carrier or a Chinese or Korean airline would start a direct route it would most likely be to Mexico, because the market is so much bigger market and it's closer to Asia. It's something that I never really realized, just how far away central America is from Asia.
I wouldn't care if it's not a direct route, because anyway there's a very very slim chance of my flying in that route. I wanted to know because I would love to see the 787 in SJO. Regarding the route I believe ANA was interested en doing a Haneda-Panama flight with the 787
Old June 12th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #740
Equario
Борітеся поборете!

Quote:
Boston is a new destination for JAL.
Oh, I understood the main point. Sorry, it was my confusion.

Tags
airplane, boeing