daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2005, 08:37 PM   #81
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Heh, true. Although I'd miss the design around the windows, and they better not get rid of Maharaja mascot. Classic icon.

I remember someone posted new liveries for Air India. I'm not sure if they were user created or real proposals, but one was especially good but completely different than what they have now.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:52 PM   #82
Kai Tak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Heh, true. Although I'd miss the design around the windows, and they better not get rid of Maharaja mascot. Classic icon.

I remember someone posted new liveries for Air India. I'm not sure if they were user created or real proposals, but one was especially good but completely different than what they have now.
I love the Maharaja too! The window design is a neat idea, but like the rest of the livery, needs brought 30 years up to speed.

This new livery you speak of for AI, are you sure it's not Indian Airlines' new one? Because they replaced theirs recently and it's night and day difference, looks incredible.
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:06 AM   #83
Jim Koeleman

Likes (Received): 0

I think this says enough.
Jim Koeleman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM   #84
cladiv
----

yes in fact, although launched months after the 787, the A350 is not doing that bad?is it??
cladiv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 11:02 AM   #85
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
For the love of God GET A NEW LIVERY!!!

I think Air India has a very classic and unique livery that no one else can copy. It looks great for them and it screams "INDIA!!!"
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM   #86
Kai Tak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Koeleman

I think this says enough.
Yes, it really does say it all. That being the 787 will go into production 2 years earlier than the A350, and airlines want better fuel-efficiency now, not later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
I think Air India has a very classic and unique livery that no one else can copy. It looks great for them and it screams "INDIA!!!"
Really? Well to each his own I guess. I'm more of a fan of modern technology and the liveries it can produce, like those beautiful blue and red Malaysian Airlines specialties.
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:20 AM   #87
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18211

New Boeing airplanes chief says 787 still on schedule
By DAVE CARPENTER
6 December 2006

CHICAGO (AP) - Boeing Co.'s 787 Dreamliner remains on schedule for its first test flight next summer and for delivery to airlines in 2008 despite the ongoing challenge to make it lighter, the new head of the company's commercial airplanes unit said Wednesday.

Scott Carson told an investment conference in New York that Boeing has 435 firm orders for the new jet from 35 customers along with another 21 nonbinding commitments. The continuing demand makes it "the very strongest product launch in the history of this industry," he maintained.

Boeing officials have said since earlier this fall that they need to trim the 787's weight significantly from parts scattered throughout the entire plane, in some cases switching from aluminum to titanium, in order to meet its promises for greater fuel efficiency.

Carson, the unit's sales chief until September when Alan Mulally left to become CEO of Ford Motor Co., said the first six 787s, all test aircraft, will be above weight specifications. All the company's energies are focused on the seventh and a plan is in place to get the weight off, he said.

Boeing shares rose 10 cents to close at $90.83 on the New York Stock Exchange, near last month's all-time high of $92.05.

Sizzling demand for the 787 coupled with lengthy delays involving Airbus' planned A380 superjumbo have enabled Boeing to seize momentum and close the gap on Airbus in the commercial airplane market. But Carson, making his first formal presentation to Wall Street, expects the competition to remain intense and said his company must fight complacency with things going so well.

"People say, 'Well, you're in a favorite position to Airbus because they're struggling,'" he said. "I say Airbus emerges from this stronger than they've ever been in, and we better be ready for it."

Asked when the largest U.S. carriers are likely to order new planes again, Carson said he expects UAL Corp.'s United Airlines, AMR Corp.'s American Airlines and Delta Air Lines Inc. to be ready in late 2007 or 2008.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 04:39 AM   #88
Serm

Boeing 787 looks more attracitive than Airbus 380!! Will Thai order Boeing 787 or not?? Hopefully, thai airline will get boeing 787 instead of Airbus 380 if 6 orders of 380 cancelled soon!!
Serm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #89
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Lufthansa just placed 20 orders of the 747-8 passenger version today. I'd rather Thai order those! 787's already secured some 400 firm orders anyway... time for a 747-8 passenger version boost!
Old December 7th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #90
Rachmaninov

EVERETT, Wash. , Dec. 06, 2006 -- Customers, partners and employees gathered at the Boeing [NYSE: BA] Everett factory today to celebrate the virtual rollout of the Boeing 787 Dreamliner and the program's progress over the last year.

Mike Bair, vice president and general manager of the 787 program, hosted the event.

"Today's virtual rollout is the culmination of many months of effort by thousands of team members at Boeing and its 787 partners," said Bair. "Through the use of our new digital toolset, provided by Dassault Systemes, the team has proven the ability to manufacture 787 designs."

While the detailed analysis and demonstrations created by the team remain proprietary for competitive reasons, the program did share a number of engineering-based simulations ranging from part installations to the final assembly factory flow in Everett.

"The engineering data behind these simulations gives us confidence in our assembly processes and our ability to meet our commitments to our customers," Bair said. "Our tools have enabled us to model the entire production process from our partners' factories to our own. We have found errors in simulation that would have been costly to find in production and have been able to design corrections quickly to keep the program on track."

For many of the partners, the simulations were paired with footage of actual work on their first test and production parts.

During the ceremony, Bair said that the first production wire bundle had been delivered from Labinal to Korean Air's Aerospace Division for installation in the wing tip being manufactured in Korea.

In addition, the program unveiled the new paint scheme for its 747-400 Large Cargo Freighters and announced that those airplanes will be named "Dreamlifters."

"The Dreamlifter is a vital tool that allows us to create a production flow around the world that is very efficient," said Bair. "We look forward to receiving the second Dreamlifter from EGAT in Taiwan early next month. It will arrive in Seattle already painted and ready to participate in the ongoing flight test program."

Additionally, the program unveiled the Dreamliner Gallery, a new facility in Everett, Wash., that provides 787 airline customers a more streamlined approach to airplane configuration.

"The Gallery provides a single location for airlines to configure their 787s," said Bair. "All catalog selections will be physically present in the Gallery for customers to see, touch and evaluate prior to selection. Previously, this was done at various locations around the world."

Also in preparation for the airplane's entry into service, Boeing is working with ANA and Northwest Airlines on a Service Ready Operational Validation program that will happen at the end of the flight test program and prior to first deliveries. A 787 will be used on actual airline routes, replicating the rigors and demands of commercial service.

"This is similar to the programs we have used with great success on other programs," said Bair. "It is one of the last steps we take to ensure that the airplane, the airlines, and the infrastructure are ready for 787 revenue service."

Bair congratulated the team for a spectacular 2006 and reminded everyone that 2007 is when many of the program's major milestones must be completed.

"We open our Everett factory next year and start producing airplanes," Bair said. "We will have our rollout and first flight and will begin the flight test program. Every year has been important as we move toward starting deliveries in 2008 but next year will be the most demanding experience for many of us.

"This is why we came to work for Boeing," he added, "to create new airplanes that bring new levels of performance to our customers and new levels of comfort and convenience to the passengers of the world.

"It's a challenge, no doubt about it. This is the team, all of us together - our customers, our partners and each of us - who will bring this airplane to life. It's an amazing journey from where we started just four years ago. But the best part is yet to come."

Boeing 787 Dreamliner Program
2006 Major Accomplishments
All factories begin part production
Wing test box complete and testing under way
Major systems laboratories opened and running
On-time start of major assembly
Large Cargo Freighter first flight and flight testing
First production wire bundle shipped
GoldCare Lifecycle Support Solution offered for service
25 percent of systems for airplane No. 1 shipped
Virtual rollout
First 787 VIP models sold
Orders and commitments increase to 458 airplanes from 37 customers

(source: boeing)
Old December 7th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #91
polska2006
www.jb-ta.com

LOT Polish Airlines will be the first airline
in Europe to take delivery of the new Boeing 787 Dreamliners
polska2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #92
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 213

i find it kinda funny how those first renders of the 7E7 (at the time) illustrated a whizzbang airplane, which looked noticably different than the usual airplane, it looked cool... and now it has lost all that...
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #93
Jim Koeleman

Last news from a source from boeing netherlands.

There is placed an order for 82 boeing 787's by an arab airline.

EK?
Old December 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #94
GlasgowMan
AirGlasgow.com

Likes (Received): 88

First Choice Airways will base two Boeing 787s at Glasgow International. They will operate their current routes to the USA and Caribeban plus new routes to Brazil, other south American destinations and Indian Ocean destinations.

FlyGlobespan are also looking into the Boeing 787, they currently use a mix of Boeing 737-800, Boeing 757-200 and Boeing 767-300 for transatlantic routes.

As your Scottish airport to the world, you can fly direct from Glasgow to 120 worldwide destinations, more than any other Scottish Airport. As well as listing all flights and destinations on offer from Glasgow's Airports, you can also view all the latest news and see a full list of all new routes on offer from Glasgow. You can also view our tourist guide to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city.
GlasgowMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #95
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Koeleman View Post

EK?
Hmmm.....maybe some Boeing 787-10s? That would be cool.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #96
Rachmaninov

News

SEATTLE, Dec. 06, 2006 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] today confirmed that UK-based carrier and integrated-tour operator First Choice Airways has ordered an additional two Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners with deliveries beginning in 2011. This order previously was listed on Boeing's Orders and Deliveries webpage attributed to an unidentified customer.

First Choice, the European launch customer for the 787, placed its first order for six 787s in July 2004. With today's announcement, First Choice now has eight 787s on order. Boeing will deliver First Choice's first 787 in the first quarter of 2009.

"The additional 787s are integral to providing our customers the most comfortable air-travel experience possible in an environmentally responsible way," said Chris Browne, Managing Director, First Choice Airways. "Thanks to its unique cabin environment featuring a more spacious interior, bigger windows and higher humidity, we firmly believe passengers will prefer the First Choice 787 product. From a business perspective, the 20-percent improvement in fuel efficiency will benefit our bottom line and facilitate our growth into new markets."

First Choice's 787s will be powered by all-new GEnx engines developed by General Electric.

"This follow-on order from our European launch customer First Choice speaks volumes about their belief in the exceptional benefits the 787 will bring to their passengers," said Marlin Dailey, vice president of Sales for Europe, Russia and Central Asia, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "We are delighted they are furthering their commitment to this innovative airplane which incorporates the most advanced materials and technologies available today to airlines around the world."

The Boeing 787 Dreamliner, when it enters service in 2008, will provide passengers with a better flying experience. Inside the airplane, passengers will find bigger windows and more stowage space, and experience cleaner air and a higher humidity. The improvements in cabin altitude combined with higher humidity and cleaner air create an overall improvement in passenger comfort.

Using 20 percent less fuel per passenger than similarly sized airplanes, the 787 is designed for the environment with 20 percent lower emissions and quieter takeoffs and landings.

As of Dec. 5, Boeing has received 458 orders and commitments for the 787 Dreamliner

(source: Boeing)
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:37 PM   #97
Jim Koeleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Koeleman View Post

EK?
I've just heard that the order might be from Etihad. The order is for about 67 aircrafts. So i don't know from where the number 82 comes from(maybe 67 Firm + 15 Options). Strange, for an airliner with a fleet of 19 planes at this moment. They're also negotaiting about an order of 747-8I's.

I dont know if this true, but EK is clearly missing the boat if Etihad orders 67 aircrafts.
Old December 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #98
Jim Koeleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Hmmm.....maybe some Boeing 787-10s? That would be cool.
If EK orders the plane, then there are orders for the dash 10.
If EY orders the plane, then there are probably no orders for the dash 10.
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #99
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le View Post
i find it kinda funny how those first renders of the 7E7 (at the time) illustrated a whizzbang airplane, which looked noticably different than the usual airplane, it looked cool... and now it has lost all that...
I think the aircraft was made to look more conventional because it had something to do with the dynamics?? Not sure.....
Wezza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #100
JasonB52
Pokémon Master

Likes (Received): 21

787 still awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le View Post
I don't think it has lost it's luster at all. If you look at the airplane it is replacing, you'll find that it is indeed a big step up. I thought the initial renderings looked kinda silly anyways.

JasonB52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airplane, boeing