daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:41 AM   #1381
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I think EK can take even more of AI's B77Ls, or it can venture out to new airline customers like those in SE Asia like Philippine Airlines.
I believe EK have opted for more B77Ws & simply apply weight restrictions on routes which suite the B77L...
Plus I've heard AI are asking a high premium price too...

Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:47 AM   #1382
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11252

The thing is, I just don't know which B77Ws have the two- or three-class configuration since the planes look nearly identical. Plus, the B77Ls are best suited for really long flights... Perhaps other carriers can use them, if they have the money, for really long flights to start with.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:07 AM   #1383
EK413

Quote:
The thing is, I just don't know which B77Ws have the two- or three-class configuration since the planes look nearly identical. Plus, the B77Ls are best suited for really long flights... Perhaps other carriers can use them, if they have the money, for really long flights to start with.
Identical indeed but certainly different configurations internally... I'll try dig up the details as to which aircraft are configured 2 & 3 class...
I believe the LR market is very fine with most carriers withdrawing ULH routes from their networks SQ, TG...
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:10 AM   #1384
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Back to topic for the 787 since we've drifted a bit.

Here's my next thought: with the New Year, how many 787s do you believe will be made and flown out to carriers this year?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:32 AM   #1385
EK413

Quote:
Back to topic for the 787 since we've drifted a bit.

Here's my next thought: with the New Year, how many 787s do you believe will be made and flown out to carriers this year?
I was just about to say the same... Back to the original topic...
With 2012 coming to an end & 45 frames delivered... Based on 5 a month now, increasing to 7 a month mid year and then 10 a month at year end factoring in 789 test planes being built we should be looking at 75-85 deliveries in 2013, up from 45 in 2012.

Last edited by EK413; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #1386
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's a lot of planes. I wonder, in comparison, how many B737s are delivered every month...

Perhaps the B787 is already on its way to becoming another very successful aircraft line for Boeing if it continues to be delivered at this rate. Hopefully, this aircraft will only endure a few incidents or accidents.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:12 AM   #1387
EK413

Quote:
That's a lot of planes. I wonder, in comparison, how many B737s are delivered every month...

Perhaps the B787 is already on its way to becoming another very successful aircraft line for Boeing if it continues to be delivered at this rate. Hopefully, this aircraft will only endure a few incidents or accidents.
The 737 program currently produces 35 per month, 38 per month in second quarter 2013, and then to 42 per month in the first half of 2014...
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:16 AM   #1388
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Now that is some serious delivery!

I then wonder: if the B787 will replace the oldest B767s and B777s, will the materials used for the B787 be used for Boeing's later aircraft?

Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1389
EK413

Quote:
Now that is some serious delivery!

I then wonder: if the B787 will replace the oldest B767s and B777s, will the materials used for the B787 be used for Boeing's later aircraft?
The longer 787-10, with seating capacity between 290 and 310 is the proposed model intended to compete with the planned Airbus A350-900. The 787-10 would supersede the 777-200ER in Boeing's current catalog and could also compete against the Airbus A330-300 and A340-300.

Although no date has been set, Boeing expects to build a 787 freighter version, possibly in 10 to 15 years. Boeing is reported to be also considering a 787 variant as a candidate to replace the 747-based VC-25 as Air Force One.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 09:49 AM   #1390
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

A Boeing 787 to replace VC-25 for Air Force One? Now that would be something definitely to watch because it seems like the B747-200 that is modeled upon for VC-25 seems to be a little dated now, especially in the age of fuel-efficient, long-haul aircraft. Perhaps the other aircraft in its government fleet can be replaced too with B787s, if not B777s.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:08 AM   #1391
EK413

Quote:
A Boeing 787 to replace VC-25 for Air Force One? Now that would be something definitely to watch because it seems like the B747-200 that is modeled upon for VC-25 seems to be a little dated now, especially in the age of fuel-efficient, long-haul aircraft. Perhaps the other aircraft in its government fleet can be replaced too with B787s, if not B777s.
Even though Boeing have hinted at building a VC-25 and Air Force 1 replacement I highly doubt this is at the top of the list considering the financial status of the United States...

Last edited by EK413; January 2nd, 2013 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Moved to B777 thread...
EK413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #1392
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That's true. Yet I wonder what the interior could look like... Will it have mood lighting on board the aircraft, similar to the passenger models?

Last edited by fieldsofdreams; January 2nd, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 04:59 PM   #1393
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...el3RI4.twitter

Quote:
Air India to launch Boeing 787 service to Paris CDG from late-March 2013

[...]
Old January 2nd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1394
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Hahaha I've already mentioned that yesterday! See previous page for details.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1395
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 62985

If money is an issue now would actually be the best time to replace the VC-25/Air Force 1, buying 2 787s or 747-8 (more likely) is not that expensive compared to the total (military) budget. The new aircraft models are simply much cheaper to operate and not just when it comes to full consumption. Since the number of normal 747-200s is rapidly decreasing the price of the spare parts it has in common with the VC-25 is also going up. According to Wikipedia the US government officially started to look for the replacement in 2009 with an entry in service date in 2017. The current planes would be 31 years by then, a good age to retire them.

The US government also uses 6 Boeing 757s (C-32) plus several Gulfstream V & G550 business jets (C-37A & C-37B). The 757s might be replaced by 787-8s, but they could also be replaced by a special extra long range versions of the 737 MAX. That would be probably be a better direct replacement when it comes to size and range then a 787-8.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 08:52 PM   #1396
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I think that buying two B787s would be a great replacement to an aging VC25, not only because it is much more fuel efficient, but is is more environmentally-friendly in terms of lighter materials used to operate it. And it would make the aircraft line very special because it is in line with one of potentially the most successful aircraft to be built over time. With two B787s, that aircraft line will build a name and reputation for itself, and it will stand out as the next generation of aircraft that the world over can admire of.

As for the six B757s, I think that a stretched version of the B737Max would be a best replacement, although I wonder if it will be shorter than the B757.

However, should the US government choose the B747-8 as replacement for the B747-200, I think the government should then choose the B787 to replace the B757s as those are the "natural" replacement aircraft.

Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:14 AM   #1397
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Hahaha I've already mentioned that yesterday! See previous page for details.
Oops, my bad dude.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 12:34 AM   #1398
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

A mixed news on LAN's B787 operations: the airline will not operate its B787 to its complete Santiago (Chile) - Frankfurt (via Madrid) service between April and June 2013; instead, it will operate its B787s only between Santiago (Chile) and Madrid. The complete Santiago - Frankfurt (via Madrid) service on the B787 will resume from 30 June 2013 from Santiago, 1 July 2013 from Frankfurt; however, the airline is on track to operating the B787 to Madrid from 31 March 2013.

In addition, two extra flights a week will operate between Santiago and Madrid, upping its frequency from daily to nine weekly. Schedule:

LA708 SCL1750 – 1220+1MAD 787 15
LA704 SCL1855 – 1325+1MAD 787 D

LA709 MAD2325 – 0700+1SCL 787 26
LA705 MAD2355 – 0730+1SCL 787 D

Source

Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:09 AM   #1399
Pedro EM

Likes (Received): 51

Apparently another one has been delvered to Air India:

http://twitter.com/Kearney_Brendan/status/286571977660059648

https://www.charlestonbusiness.com/n...uring-december
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 02:05 AM   #1400
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

That would be a lot of B787s for the airline... hopefully, it gets to keep the B77Ws and sell off all its B77Ls.

Tags
airplane, boeing