daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation » Airports | Photos and Videos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 17th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #1481
nistromo

Likes (Received): 216

FAA grounds Boeing 787 Dreamliner pending safety check of plane's lithium batteries.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rld&id=8956923
nistromo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:48 AM   #1482
EK413

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by nistromo View Post
FAA grounds Boeing 787 Dreamliner pending safety check of plane's lithium batteries.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sec...rld&id=8956923
Wow... This certainly ain't a teething issue considering FAA have made the call to ground ALL B787's indefinitely...
Sad day for Boeing but in saying that I'm confident there is a solution in the pipeline...
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #1483
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrG View Post
LOT's first commercial transatlantic Dreamliner flight
WAW-ORD
http://fr24.com/LOT3

Airplane is LN61 ZA270 SP-LRA

So this 787 will be grounded in Chicago when it lands?
Or is it possible to return to Warsaw (maybe without passengers) and ground the airplane there?
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:17 AM   #1484
PiotrG
庶民サンプル

I don't know details, but FAA is Federal Aviation Administration the national aviation authority of the United States of America. FAA probably could ground 787 of american carriers and undelivered ones, but not foreign carriers airplanes. I think SP-LRA will fly from Chicago to Warsaw on 17th January, with passengers onboard, but I could be wrong of course.
PiotrG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #1485
Space Invader
Registered Alien

Likes (Received): 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Actually, the way you say it makes it even a better argument to be used right now. Even with these 2 early crashes the A320 and the A330 became one of the safest types ever, making a big contribution to the increased safety of aviation.
But i'm confident myself that it will be a safe aircraft.
What i mean is that it not normal that such things happen when the aircraft is in commercial service.
And about the delay, i would think differently than you, i would say with such a delay, the product should be really reliable.
Also, as this problem, I don't consider Rolls-Royce engine problem on Qantas as a teething problem either but a real conception problem.

Edit : It looks like Qatar grounded a 787 at LHR but not related to ANA, it would be for some hydraulic systems failure.
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #1486
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18222

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiotrG View Post
I don't know details, but FAA is Federal Aviation Administration the national aviation authority of the United States of America. FAA probably could ground 787 of american carriers and undelivered ones, but not foreign carriers airplanes. I think SP-LRA will fly from Chicago to Warsaw on 17th January, with passengers onboard, but I could be wrong of course.
Aren't these bans applicable over American airspace? So even foreign carriers cannot fly the model into the US or over it?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 04:46 AM   #1487
EK413

I believe LA, UA have grounded their fleet too... So it appears the FAA have ruled all B787s be grounded...
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #1488
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11258

Hopefully, the grounding will be lifted soon as the airlines affected will need to scramble their way into keeping their 787 flights operating as usual by either reinstating their older fleet or using alternate aircraft to keep them going. UA has little to no issues with that since it has a huge variety of aircraft that can be used to operate both domestic and international routes; LA, on the other hand, will need to optimize its B763s and A343s so that the affected flights (with the B787) can operate as usual.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #1489
EK413

AI fleet has been grounded with all flights to be replaced utilizing the B77L...

Sad day for Boeing...
Old January 17th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #1490
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

So this 787 will be grounded in Chicago when it lands?
Or is it possible to return to Warsaw (maybe without passengers) and ground the airplane there?
Grounded immediately...

http://www.frequentbusinesstraveler....liner-flights/
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #1491
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1116

Everyone is grounding the B-787, it is a failure...
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1492
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
It's not really a failure. It's a precautionary measure to inspect the affected parts that have caused incidents in Japan and the United States. While the FAA may ground the planes for now, once all the aircraft are given the "all clear" signal, and that the affected aircraft have been properly repaired and their parts replaced, then we can see the 787s flying again. It is just a matter of time and skill from Boeing to determine how long this grounding will last... And I believe that Everett and Charleston will find suitable solutions to tackle the Li-Ion Battery Pack problem, as well as other "hidden" flaws along the way.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #1493
Heludin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
Actually, the way you say it makes it even a better argument to be used right now. Even with these 2 early crashes the A320 and the A330 became one of the safest types ever, making a big contribution to the increased safety of aviation.

The current issues of the 787 are very serious, but they are not as bad the media and some people on the internet make them out to be. Teething problems can be very big, the engine blow out of the Qantas A380 could have ended in a total disaster.

The 777 indeed had an almost perfect introduction compared to these other introductions. If the 787 doesn't run into bigger problems it will still be one of the smoothest introductions. Compared to the delays that caused the late introduction it had relatively smooth ride until this string of incidents happened. It's still bad luck that everything happened at once.
It's over, so I guess no positive thinking can change this fact, it's not BAD LUCK is bad judgement from whoever rushed the aircraft into mass production if the bugs were not worked out properly, same goes for Airbus.

Cheers everyone.
Heludin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #1494
Heludin
BANNED

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
It's not really a failure. It's a precautionary measure to inspect the affected parts that have caused incidents in Japan and the United States. While the FAA may ground the planes for now, once all the aircraft are given the "all clear" signal, and that the affected aircraft have been properly repaired and their parts replaced, then we can see the 787s flying again. It is just a matter of time and skill from Boeing to determine how long this grounding will last... And I believe that Everett and Charleston will find suitable solutions to tackle the Li-Ion Battery Pack problem, as well as other "hidden" flaws along the way.
The Ruskies said the same thing when the Sukhoi superjet crashed...but it was a failure, just like the dreamliner and the A380 in his early days, failure to have their planes bugs free that could have been their last flight, remember we are in 2012 this is not 1960.

Salute.
Heludin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #1495
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heludin View Post
The Ruskies said the same thing when the Sukhoi superjet crashed...but it was a failure, just like the dreamliner and the A380 in his early days, failure to have their planes bugs free that could have been their last flight, remember we are in 2012 this is not 1960.

Salute.
Sure. It may be a "failure", but I believe that this is a critical point in a brand new aircraft's life where minor tweaks and modifications will be needed to make it into a successful aircraft for a long time. Of course, everything is not as perfect or smooth-sailing as it seems, so it is good to hit a bump and check if everything works well as planned... If there is a flaw, it needs to either be replaced or removed from the aircraft.

Old January 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1496
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 63132

The US Federal Aviation Administration has grounded the 787 because of the battery problems, their statement:
Quote:
As a result of an in-flight, Boeing 787 battery incident earlier today in Japan, the FAA will issue an emergency airworthiness directive (AD) to address a potential battery fire risk in the 787 and require operators to temporarily cease operations. Before further flight, operators of U.S.-registered, Boeing 787 aircraft must demonstrate to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) that the batteries are safe.

The FAA will work with the manufacturer and carriers to develop a corrective action plan to allow the U.S. 787 fleet to resume operations as quickly and safely as possible.

The in-flight Japanese battery incident followed an earlier 787 battery incident that occurred on the ground in Boston on January 7, 2013. The AD is prompted by this second incident involving a lithium ion battery. The battery failures resulted in release of flammable electrolytes, heat damage, and smoke on two Model 787 airplanes. The root cause of these failures is currently under investigation. These conditions, if not corrected, could result in damage to critical systems and structures, and the potential for fire in the electrical compartment.

Last Friday, the FAA announced a comprehensive review of the 787’s critical systems with the possibility of further action pending new data and information. In addition to the continuing review of the aircraft’s design, manufacture and assembly, the agency also will validate that 787 batteries and the battery system on the aircraft are in compliance with the special condition the agency issued as part of the aircraft’s certification.

United Airlines is currently the only U.S. airline operating the 787, with six airplanes in service. When the FAA issues an airworthiness directive, it also alerts the international aviation community to the action so other civil aviation authorities can take parallel action to cover the fleets operating in their own countries.
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=14233

Boeings statement.
Quote:
Boeing Statement on Federal Aviation Administration 787 Action

CHICAGO, Jan. 16, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Boeing Chairman, President and CEO Jim McNerney issued the following statement today after the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued an emergency airworthiness directive that requires U.S. 787 operators to temporarily cease operations and recommends other regulatory agencies to follow suit:

"The safety of passengers and crew members who fly aboard Boeing airplanes is our highest priority.

"Boeing is committed to supporting the FAA and finding answers as quickly as possible. The company is working around the clock with its customers and the various regulatory and investigative authorities. We will make available the entire resources of The Boeing Company to assist.

"We are confident the 787 is safe and we stand behind its overall integrity. We will be taking every necessary step in the coming days to assure our customers and the traveling public of the 787's safety and to return the airplanes to service.

"Boeing deeply regrets the impact that recent events have had on the operating schedules of our customers and the inconvenience to them and their passengers."
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=2563
It's the Li-ion batteries that are the cause for the grounding, not any other incident.

Issues with such batteries are widely known, not just in the aviation industry. What makes it difficult is that they are very unpredictable, this makes it impossible to test them for longevity. During the testing there where no incidents like this, there was another electrical fire but that had a completely different cause. These kind of issues only pop up when they happen and that can happen when they are already in service.

Zaz965 liked this post
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #1497
EK413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Сталин View Post
As pointed out by fieldsofdreams & others it's a precautionary measure to ensure all aircraft are safe to operate revenue service & hopefully have the issues resolved prior to giving the all clear...
The 787 program is far from being a failure, just like the A380 program your always going to have glitches with a totally new concept...
Old January 17th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #1498
pbrdpbrd

Likes (Received): 1396

FLying Back to The U.S. on ANA the 20th

Wnet to Japan on the new 787 with ANA from Seattle. After flying the 787 you do not want to go back to any other plane. It is so comfortable, 44 movies to choose from, incredible comfort. This coming sunday I am going back to the U.S., I dread having to fly any other plane...
pbrdpbrd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1499
pobre diablo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrdpbrd
Wnet to Japan on the new 787 with ANA from Seattle. After flying the 787 you do not want to go back to any other plane. It is so comfortable, 44 movies to choose from, incredible comfort. This coming sunday I am going back to the U.S., I dread having to fly any other plane...
What exactly is so comfortable about it? Seat configuration and entertainment vary by airline specifications, no on another airline there maybe less space and movies.
pobre diablo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #1500
Pedro EM

Likes (Received): 51

I think they made the right decision in grounding them- I just hope the grounding won't last too long.
Pedro EM no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
airplane, boeing