daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2005, 06:10 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18223

Ottawa's OC Transpo

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

chambre12 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #2
sequoias

Likes (Received): 14

nice graphics on those bus, they sure are crazy about Canada cuz of the maple leaf graphic on the bus. Looks like those are New Flyer D60LF and D40 (old one).
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #3
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18223

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Jayayess1190

Likes (Received): 45

very nice pictures
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 05:58 AM   #5
Jayayess1190

Ottowa's O Train

Check out this awsome site: http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/lrt/index_en.shtml

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
O Train soon to be expanded to downtown Ottawa

http://www.octranspo.com/train_menue.htm

www.trainscan.com/news/scan/s0308/otrain.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-Train says Houston's lightrail cars will replace the current fleet

Interior: wikipedia

What's goin' on in Ottawa?

Last edited by Jayayess1190; October 23rd, 2006 at 06:10 AM.
Jayayess1190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:03 AM   #6
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

I live in Ottawa and I've never been on the O-train...shame on me!

I hope Ottawa gets an underground but I think our geology (granite) makes it difficult.
gonzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:04 AM   #7
Jayayess1190

Short 12 minute ride from Greenboro to Bayview

http://ottawa.ca/residents/lrt/exper...icles_en.shtml

Future lightrail cars:
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:10 AM   #8
spongeg

Likes (Received): 1742

on the one map in that link its has a blue line - that says existing transitway - is that a bus line? or something else?
spongeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #9
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

^ yup, a bus route.
gonzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:00 AM   #10
Similos
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Well, when I was in Ottawa around Easter this year, I made a trip with the specific intent on riding the O-Train. Its so out of place in Ottawa, that unless you live along its corridor, you will never have the need to ride it. Only if you're a transit enthusiast, like me

Its a five station , two train, one rail line....the trains have to wait for one another at mid-point so they can bypass each other

Its a shame our capital cannot afford something better, but good to hear about its expansion
Similos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:02 AM   #11
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

From the map, it looks like a very important bypass link. But come on...increase the frequency, give it double-tracking and build it to donwtown.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 11:17 AM   #12
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Similos View Post
Well, when I was in Ottawa around Easter this year, I made a trip with the specific intent on riding the O-Train. Its so out of place in Ottawa, that unless you live along its corridor, you will never have the need to ride it. Only if you're a transit enthusiast, like me

Its a five station , two train, one rail line....the trains have to wait for one another at mid-point so they can bypass each other

Its a shame our capital cannot afford something better, but good to hear about its expansion
The O-train was designed to test the possibility of light rail in Ottawa....so it wasnt meant to be the perfect system. But it did the job well, and I hope that other cities in Canada can learn from the test (like Toronto).

The questions that matter now are related to the expansion and the conversion to the new light rail line...

*Why is the O-Train going to be shut down when it could be run concurrently with the new system?
*Why is the government so gung ho about this new light rail plan?
*Why does the government want to spend money in unnecessary ways, eg. building a new train yard on untouched land, while the Wakely Yards could be easily converted.
*Why OC Transpo hasnt wised up to using the Transitway properly...operate it like a rapid-transit system only, not the current rapid transit + bus highway into downtown

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 08:22 PM   #13
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 860

I think the whole idea of Ottawa's LRT is ridiculous.

Why not simply transfer the existing transitway to rail????? with a reallignment on Carling for better ridership.
The ROW and stations are there and can be done grdually with little disruption.
Ottawa's LRT plan seems more like a make work project than anything else.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #14
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

It will eventually (should) become an EW line as well as NS, it'll just take lots of time, money, and political goodwill.

They can't just transfer the transitway to rail because it'd cost too much. Plus, they want to concentrate on new services, not just the ones that are already being well-served.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 03:23 AM   #15
degnaw

Likes (Received): 0

Right now the O-train looks and feels too much like a commuter rail service; after they switch to electric trams and extend it to a more local area then it will start becoming light rail (which will hopefully be soon).
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM   #16
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

Ottawa: $4 billion, 25-year LRT Plan

Quote:
City unveils 4 transit, tunnel options
The city unveiled four options for its "Downtown rapid transit network" Monday, an update to the city's Transportation Master Plan, first unveiled by mayor's task force chair David Collenette last June.

"I am pleased that every option put before us today confirms the mayor's task force on transportation's recommendation to address downtown congestion with the use of a downtown tunnel," said Mayor Larry O'Brien. "Making the right transit choice for Ottawa is the most important decision that city council will make during its term."

The four options outlined in the report include: a bus-based tunnel plan with an O-train component; a bus and light rail transit (LRT) tunnel with a north-south LRT; a tunnel exclusively for an LRT, in conjunction with an O-Train and an east-west LRT; and lastly an LRT tunnel, with both east-west and north-south LRT lines.

The plans address four, long-term priorities: building a downtown transit tunnel; completing the Transitway; implementing rapid transit using the Cumberland Transitway alignment; and implementing light rail transit to Ottawa's southeastern growth area, the city said in a release.

"The downtown rapid transit network addresses the city's main areas of congestion and builds from the core out - addressing the downtown and determining the best way to serve communities in the west, south and east," said Nancy Schepers, deputy city manager, planning, transit and environment.

In a public consultation launched in the fall of 2007, Ottawa residents were asked to provide their input on transportation issues through a variety of mediums, and they asked for efficiency, convenience, reliability and comfort.

Also, a strong preference, particularly by downtown merchants, was expressed for a downtown tunnel.

"The public's involvement is vital for building a sustainable transit system," said Bay Coun. Alex Cullen, who is also the chair of the city's transit committee.

The city is accepting comments on the four options through a variety of venues, including public open houses and online at ottawa.ca. The feedback will be included in an April 16 report in which staff will recommended one of the four options.

If everything occurs on schedule, council will be making a final decision on the matter May 28, the city said.

"The City's transit plan needs to have a direct impact for current users and also encourage new people to begin using transit in the City of Ottawa," said Mayor O'Brien. "I encourage all Ottawa residents to tune in, get involved and share their expectations on the future of transit in our city."

The Transportation Master Plan.

Source: Ottawa Business Journal
This is very promising news for Ottawa, if you ask me, a city that has been wracked with controversy over new transit developments over the past few years. Ideally, I'd like to see the fourth plan approved (north-south and east-west subways through downtown), but so long as the city can finally get away from the BRT-system we're plagued with thanks to the short-sightedness of city planners in the 70s, I'll be happy.

A world class transit system for Canada's national capital may finally be on it's way!

Last edited by canadave87; May 22nd, 2008 at 06:21 AM.
canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #17
canadave87

For a little background info, current Ottawa transit network. All of these routes are BRT, except the O-Train:

And this is how downtown "rapid" transit looks right now:

BRT station:

Old March 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #18
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

This is fantastic news. Some kind of grade separated rapid transit through downtown Ottawa will really be welcome
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #19
sens2007

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully, they go ahead with Alternative 4: LRT Tunnel (East & West Downtown LRT and North-South LRT). They could also expand that plan on the rest of the Transitway as demand and population will increase. Whatever the alternative chosen, the tunnel sounds good!
sens2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #20
canadave87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
This is fantastic news. Some kind of grade separated rapid transit through downtown Ottawa will really be welcome
Yeah, for sure. Transit downtown is a mess right now. During rush hour, it can take 20+ minutes to get from Mackenzie King across to Lebreton Flats, and sometimes half an hour or more to go down Bank Street from Wellington to the 417. It's terrible.