daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2005, 01:11 PM   #1
DocentX

Likes (Received): 2187

Romanesque architecture in Poland

Romanesque architecture

The name Romanesque, like many other stylistic designations, was not a term contemporary with the art it describes but an invention of modern scholarship to categorize a period.

The term "Romanesque" attempts to link the architecture, especially, of the 11th and 12th centuries in medieval Europe to Roman Architecture based on similarities of forms and materials. Romanesque is characterised by a use of round or slightly pointed arches, barrel vaults, cruciform piers supporting vaults, and groin vaults.

The great carved portals of 12th century church facades parallel the architectural novelty of the period - monumental stone sculpture seems reborn in the Romanesque.

Romanesque seems to have been the first pan-European style since Roman Imperial Architecture and examples are found in every part of the continent. One important fact pointed out by the stylistic similarity of buildings across Europe is the relative mobility of medieval people. Contrary to many modern ideas of life before the Industrial Revolution, merchants, nobles, knights, artisans, and peasants crossed Europe and the Mediterranean world for business, war, and religious pilgrimages, carrying their knowledge of what buildings in different places looked like.

Here are some examples of romanesque architecture in Poland :

(note that some of the monuments are not in 'pure romanesque' style)

Krakow:

-st.Andrzej church

-Tyniec abbey

-st.Adalbert church

-Wawel cathedral - St. Leonard crypt

-Wawel

-st.Salwador church

-st.Benedict church

Strzelno :

Czerwinsk:

Tum:

Sulejow:

Opatow:

Strzelno:

Kruszwica:

Sandomierz:

Inowlodz:

Konin:

KOPRZYWNICA

KOŚCIELEC PIŃCZOWSKI

MOGILNO

OSTRÓW LEDNICKI

WACHOCK

Cieszyn

DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #2
AGC
digitisebanking.com

Likes (Received): 205

nice amount of pics
old architecture is great!!
AGC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #3
Phobos

pretty churches!
Old January 30th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #4
Gatis

Likes (Received): 591

This is interesting for me. Recently I started to have more interest in Romanesque in my country... there is not that much but we have something as well. Poland as nearby country is interesting to compare.
Nowadays Romanesque architecture seems to be mysterious and full with hidden meaning. May be it was - in many places (like contemporary Latvia) these were the first masonry buildings ever, built by people, who had much higher knowledge than casual people.
Great series, thank you!
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:13 PM   #5
RW-co

Likes (Received):

Romanesque churches reminds me of the old times. Thnaks for these pix
Old February 1st, 2005, 12:29 AM   #6
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 102

Thanks for the pics. I wouldnt have thought that the Romanesque architecture would penetrated its way that far north. Still its very cool to see these fine examples in Poland!

In Croatia, we generally have Romanesque architecture on the coast, while everything pretty much in the north is either Baroque, Gothic or Sessionist.
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 07:45 PM   #7
DocentX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity
Thanks for the pics. I wouldnt have thought that the Romanesque architecture would penetrated its way that far north. Still its very cool to see these fine examples in Poland!

In Croatia, we generally have Romanesque architecture on the coast, while everything pretty much in the north is either Baroque, Gothic or Sessionist.
Here You have Polish Romanesque architecture route map:

This trail will lead you to the finest and best-preserved Romanesque buildings in Poland.

Mogilno – the church of the former Benedictine Abbey (11th c.), Strzelno – St Procopius’ Church and the Church of the Holy Trinity, both from the 12th century, Inowrocław – St Mary’s Church (13th c.), Kruszwica – SS Peter and Paul Collegiate Church (12th c.)., Trzemeszno – the Benedictine church (12th c.), Kościelec Kujawski – St Margaret’s church (12th/13th cc.).
Old February 2nd, 2005, 01:01 AM   #8
SinCity
Streetwalker

Likes (Received): 102

Thanks DocentX! I notice that Polish Romanesqu architecture has a concentration in the central part of the country. Is there any reason why this happened?
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:38 PM   #9
DocentX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinCity
Thanks DocentX! I notice that Polish Romanesqu architecture has a concentration in the central part of the country. Is there any reason why this happened?
As You can see- there is also concentration of romanesque art in south- west part of Poland (blue spots), sothern part (green), north- west (black).

The reason- probably the importance and the economic development of the Polish regions in XI - XII cent.

The most importat at that time were :

-Greather Poland region (red spots)
-Silesia (blue spots)
-Little Poland (green spots)
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:05 PM   #10
OlekD

Likes (Received): 85

great thread Docent , these sculptured bricks in Sandomierz's church looks excelent.
OlekD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #11
Van der Rohe
mies fan

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis
This is interesting for me. Recently I started to have more interest in Romanesque in my country... there is not that much but we have something as well. Poland as nearby country is interesting to compare.
Nowadays Romanesque architecture seems to be mysterious and full with hidden meaning. May be it was - in many places (like contemporary Latvia) these were the first masonry buildings ever, built by people, who had much higher knowledge than casual people.
Great series, thank you!

It's incredible when we realise that some of these smallest romanesque chapels were THE VERY FIRST buildings in Poland that weren't made of wood but of stone or bricks!!! (dating as far as 10th and 11th century).
Van der Rohe no está en línea   Reply With Quote